The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API 2500 Users Chime In! Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 5th December 2008
Lives for gear

Though the Waves API compressor is not as good as the hardware piece, I must say the plug in gives a punch and attack I have never heard from any compressor from UAD or and other Waves plug in compressor. It blew my doors when I ran it through a drum bus.
Old 5th December 2008
Gear Addict

How does the 225L compare to the 2500 ?
Old 5th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
Though the Waves API compressor is not as good as the hardware piece, I must say the plug in gives a punch and attack I have never heard from any compressor from UAD or and other Waves plug in compressor. It blew my doors when I ran it through a drum bus.

Yea the plug in isn't the same, but your're right. It kicks ass too. For a plug in I was impressed. And it does has its uses.
Thats my favorite plug out of the bundle.
Old 6th December 2008
Gear Addict
So I've had a fair amount of experience with my 2500 on the mix buss insert of my SSL by now. I'm finding that I like the 'Old' setting with medium thrust and knee, 4:1. I'm finding that it is important for me to mix with this thing engaged all the time as opposed to turning it on at the end of a mix. Curious to hear how you guys who wait to engage it are mixing. Also, I've been going with around 2-3 db compression instead of the 1db that some of you have mentioned. Haven't used the gain make-up yet. I'm normally at the correct level to print my mix so no additional gain is necessary. So, how are you guys structuring your gain into the compressor when you add this magic make-up gain? If I add extra make-up gain, I'll usually have too much level going into my 2 track. Are you just setting up your mix at a lower level on your 2 buss and then adding the slight compression and gain make-up at the end? I'm printing back into a Burl B2 Bomber which has a dial on the front that allows me to back off the gain and hit the transformers harder. Nice feature.
Old 6th December 2008
Gear Maniac

I am in love with this box.
Old 6th December 2008
Gear Maniac

Im pretty sure my GF doesn't approve but then, who cares?
lol, seriously though, i love my api 2500!
Old 6th December 2008
Lives for gear

drum bus: old mode, slowest attack, fastest release, 3:1, med/loud, 70% link is my starting point. needles barely moving but man how the kick and snare jump. same on OH. a little harder ratio/knee for room mics. Gotta try it on guitars and piano some time. Not nuts about it on the master, but I'm not really nuts about anything on the master.
Old 6th December 2008
Lives for gear

I love my new one too, but does ya'lls reset to hard, loud, old, and no shape when you power it back on? I'm sure there is a battery somewhere, but I didn't see it in the manual, and I'm not about to crack it open without knowing there is something serviceable inside....not a big deal, but I've forgotten to reset it before and couldn't figure out why my settings weren't matching up!
Old 6th December 2008
Gear Maniac

I love my 2500 as well. Strapped across my Neve 8816 2Buss and sounds amazing, this combo really work for me.
Old 6th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by strewnshank View Post
I love my new one too, but does ya'lls reset to hard, loud, old, and no shape when you power it back on? I'm sure there is a battery somewhere, but I didn't see it in the manual, and I'm not about to crack it open without knowing there is something serviceable inside....not a big deal, but I've forgotten to reset it before and couldn't figure out why my settings weren't matching up!

yup, there's a spot in there where you can put a battery in. open it up, write down the battery model number, a quick trip to Radio Shack will take care of this issue. mine stays in the same setting when i shut it of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louderock View Post
So I've had a fair amount of experience with my 2500 on the mix buss insert of my SSL by now. I'm finding that I like the 'Old' setting with medium thrust and knee, 4:1. I'm finding that it is important for me to mix with this thing engaged all the time as opposed to turning it on at the end of a mix. Curious to hear how you guys who wait to engage it are mixing. Also, I've been going with around 2-3 db compression instead of the 1db that some of you have mentioned. Haven't used the gain make-up yet. I'm normally at the correct level to print my mix so no additional gain is necessary. So, how are you guys structuring your gain into the compressor when you add this magic make-up gain? If I add extra make-up gain, I'll usually have too much level going into my 2 track. Are you just setting up your mix at a lower level on your 2 buss and then adding the slight compression and gain make-up at the end? I'm printing back into a Burl B2 Bomber which has a dial on the front that allows me to back off the gain and hit the transformers harder. Nice feature.

your settings are exactly what i use for my 2 bus as well. sounds great, printing back into Lavry Blue.
Old 6th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblotted View Post
yup, there's a spot in there where you can put a battery in. open it up, write down the battery model number, a quick trip to Radio Shack will take care of this issue. mine stays in the same setting when i shut it of.

Thank you very much for that. Buying a battery today. The more I get to
know the 2500, the more in love I am.
Old 6th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchhare View Post
The more I get to
know the 2500, the more in love I am.
Old 6th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

Wonderful, thanks a bunch! Wonder why it isn't in the manual...
Old 6th December 2008

With the battery installed all the settings are retained during power off with the exception of the meter select which returns to "output" instead of "gain reduction".
At least on mine.
Old 6th December 2008
Lives for gear

You all are killing me. I try not to be envious of those with more gear than me, but it's difficult not to in this case. A few uninformed questions ---

How would the 2500 fare on acoustic/vocal, americana, alt country stuff?

Do many of you comp the drum bus and then use it again on the 2buss?

Some of you have mentioned the midrange benefits, how about the bass frequencies?(2 buss)

Whose got one for rent in Austin.heh
Old 6th December 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Laborer View Post
You all are killing me....snip....
lol. turn off the browser?

Quote:
How would the 2500 fare on acoustic/vocal, americana, alt country stuff?
a light touch up would work. a lot of the "sound" is in the input transformer and the make up gain&output transformer. Not using these will give you a clean compression. it's a very versitile machine, so you could pull up the guitars, bass, whatever, or just do a gentle dynamic reduction of the whole.

Quote:
Do many of you comp the drum bus and then use it again on the 2buss?
not necessary. It'll be fat enough. IMHO

Quote:
Some of you have mentioned the midrange benefits, how about the bass frequencies?
solid, deep. but very recognisable API. THE good thing about this machine is that low end is intact even when using quite a bit of compression.
I had some very self assured techno djs in the room about two months ago, good guys, but very ITB oriënted, so thought I'd warm it up a bit. gni gni (evil laugh) sat them down with a beer and a spliff, found a nice bassline, cut the high end, cut some low mids with a good inductor eq, a little shelf boost, and sent the hot signal to the API. A little tweaking and I got the resonance freq, of the room - wall (50 cm thick solid brick) and oak wood (30 cm thick) floor, the bassline was squashed so I could turn it up to high levels on the main monitors. (no it was not a bass "node", the walls were actually resonating) Jaws were hitting the floor. If I was rich I'd buy a second one, just for the live rig, to stomp out any resistance. I might do that, even when not. God knows I love this box. lol thumbsup
Old 6th December 2008
Lives for gear

sToNerS with their 2500s--what is the world coming to.

Thanks man, I could imagine all that. Yeah, I'm jonesing.
Old 6th December 2008
Quote:
sToNerS with their 2500s--what is the world coming to.

Thanks man, I could imagine all that. Yeah, I'm jonesing.
the beer and the spliff were actually for neutralising the effect of the other stuff they had been doing prior to having a listen in my place. I try to make it a "spiritual refuelling station" off hours.. helps them (and me) really LISTEN too.

going to work with a band really closely. they never have heard proper use of APIs, Gefells, Telefunkens before. 2009 is going to be fun!
Old 7th December 2008
Gear Maniac

How hard are you guys driving the 2500 at the input??
Old 7th December 2008
Lives for gear

for me, it depends on what else is in front of it....i'm curious as well though.
Old 7th December 2008
Lives for gear

API woo hoo!

This thing certainly has been a gift from the gods for sure. Don't forget about the variable release adjustment!! If I don't record to a click then I'll tap tempo the speed of the song and combine that with .3 attack with a hard knee with medium thrust and the new setting. If it kills the dynamics too much I'll switch to the old setting to let the transients through better. I'll mix into it with minimal drum bus compression to really drive it. Mind you I'm compressing the living daylights out of everything else so it doesn't hit it as hard to reach the desired effect of gluing the mix together. I've been taking turns with the Chameleon Labs 7720 on mix bus duties. The 2500 is far more flexible in the way it handles the mix bus. I usually don't use the make up gain at all, but now it's something I'll look into accordingly.

Thanks guys!!

Gotta love this place still learning all the time!
Old 7th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton View Post
With the battery installed all the settings are retained during power off with the exception of the meter select which returns to "output" instead of "gain reduction".
At least on mine.
mine stays on whatever settings that was on before. you should get yours check out.
Old 7th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Some of you have mentioned the midrange benefits, how about the bass frequencies?(2 buss)
tightens the bass. midrange is richer but a bit scooped.
Old 7th December 2008
Lives for gear

Timely coming across this thread. I recently was forced to sell my Smart C2 for financial reasons - I now am back in good stead and have been debating betwixt the C2 and 2500. Think I'll give the 2500 a whirl.

Sorry I didn't have anything constructive to add.
Old 7th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cww2 View Post
Timely coming across this thread. I recently was forced to sell my Smart C2 for financial reasons - I now am back in good stead and have been debating betwixt the C2 and 2500. Think I'll give the 2500 a whirl.

Sorry I didn't have anything constructive to add.
I'd love to hear your opinions once you've compared the two. I'm in the middle of comparing mine against a Safe Sound Dynamic Toolbox.
Old 7th December 2008

Quote:
mine stays on whatever settings that was on before. you should get yours check out.
That's interesting 'cause I swore mine did too until recently. Thought I was getting fuzzy with my memory. Maybe the reliability changes as the battery ages.....I'll bet API knows and just ain't sayin.....don't know if they ever weighed in on this subject officially. They put a battery holder and backup circuit in but don't put in a battery...somethin' going on there.
Old 7th December 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by malgfunk View Post
How hard are you guys driving the 2500 at the input??
It really depends. If I want to give something an edge, a little more solid punch I feed it a hot signal. Comp in feedforward,medium attack, fast release, gives a nice agressive snap I ease back if I want some full tone, but do not want to use the make up gain amp too much. (it adds another kind of punch) I keep the input level fairly low, with a touch of make up gain if I want to compress a vocal take, or percussion just a bit, catch some peaks but not change tone. The controls on the API are interactive (more than other compressors I use) so if you change the thrust, or side chain filter, you might have to adjust the threshold again, because that is also different. There are a million of different possibillities.
I love this about it. The same feeling I got from the Thermionic Fat Bustard line mixer, when trying it briefly at the AES Floor. not a compressor of course, but it had that same sort of subtle play of gain staging, and tone going on. Inmediately noticable.
Old 9th December 2008
Gear Nut

another little tip

Something to keep in mind for those who turn the unit off... It takes a couple of hours for the unit to stabilize and behave normally. When I chart a mix in case I need a recall, I run at 1k tone through mine to get an exact position on the threshold. I noticed that the setting isn't even close when the unit is just turned on. It slowly returns to normal over time.
Old 9th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldswirlo View Post
Something to keep in mind for those who turn the unit off... It takes a couple of hours for the unit to stabilize and behave normally. When I chart a mix in case I need a recall, I run at 1k tone through mine to get an exact position on the threshold. I noticed that the setting isn't even close when the unit is just turned on. It slowly returns to normal over time.
Damn, that's good to know.

I pretty much boot it all up and get to work....
Old 9th December 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldswirlo View Post
Well, the "best gear" always has to warm-up first.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search