The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API 2500 Users Chime In! Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 12th September 2008
  #31
Lives for gear
 

I do alot of livesound... earlier this year I had a guy mixing for a band and he brought the 2500....
it was cool but something too compressed for livesound in my opinion though he didnt really have much gr running... like 2/3 db but with alot softknee.....
I am thinking of getting some 2 buss comp for the studio, but would love to use it live too....
is someone of you doing live and using a compressor in the master? and which..
I also hope to get more "analog" out of the Yamaha M7 which is more often the FOH desk right now...
do you think the api would help?
Old 20th October 2008
  #32
Lives for gear
 
marchhare's Avatar
 

My mix buss compressor quest has finally ended with the API 2500. I wish I
would have known how much I'd love this box earlier. First I had the Drawmer
1968, which I actually liked on bass and vocals, but was kinda mushy on the 2-mix,
and distorted if you tried to get any level out of it. Then came the Alan Smart C2. I tried really hard to convince myself I liked it (because it was so expensive,I bought it new impulsively). To me, the C2 is like the exact opposite of the Drawmer; really stiff and brittle, especially if you use even a little bit of make up gain. I got the API on Friday, and I've tried running a few different mixes through it since then, a ballad and a fast heavy pop song. Tried a few different settings, some of the ones recommended on here. I couldn't get it to sound bad. Just barely compressing, it makes everything sound better, richer. I feel inspired now. It's really nice when you get something so instantly gratifying.
Old 22nd October 2008
  #33
Gear Addict
 
Emanuel23's Avatar
 

I'm using the API2500 plugin from Waves in every project.
Can't afford the real thing yet, but boy does it sound good!
Never used it on the master buss though...
It works great for me too on the drum buss and bass.
Can't wait to give it a try on the master
Old 22nd October 2008
  #34
jho
Lives for gear
 
jho's Avatar
 

2500 = goodness

perfect end of my chain after the kazillion 2520's on the console
Old 22nd October 2008
  #35
Lives for gear
 
Flying_Dutchman's Avatar
 

After i tried the the software version, i want a hardware API now.
I had a Drawmer 1968, which did a nice "warm" texture, but i also think that it can get mushy. I have a STC-8, but it´s too cleanish for me. Great compressor, but no "sound box" like the Api for rock songs imao.

If i run the make up gain in the software hot, it gives a lot to the sound, but the software adds fuzzy distortion when i drive it hard.
Does the hardware API 2500 do it too?
Old 22nd October 2008
  #36
Lives for gear
 
marchhare's Avatar
 

I have the Waves 2500 also. The make-up gain on the hardware sounds
wonderful, nothing like when you try and run the plug-in hot. I really like the
Waves API stuff, but there's no comparison to the real thing. I tracked some
vocals and acoustic guitar through it last night and loved what it did to those,
too.
Old 23rd October 2008
  #37
Lives for gear
 
dubrichie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchhare View Post
To me, the C2 is like the exact opposite of the Drawmer; really stiff and brittle, especially if you use even a little bit of make up gain.
am i the only one who uses OTHER make-up gain amps after compressors?

example: mixed a record on an SSL AWS 900 last year and used a pair of Wunder preamps for make-up gain after the buss comp. sounded MUCH better.

a lot of the tone of a compressor is in the make-up gain amp, no?
Old 23rd October 2008
  #38
Lives for gear
 
dhiltonlittle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrichie View Post
am i the only one who uses OTHER make-up gain amps after compressors?

example: mixed a record on an SSL AWS 900 last year and used a pair of Wunder preamps for make-up gain after the buss comp. sounded MUCH better.

a lot of the tone of a compressor is in the make-up gain amp, no?
very true, but i've found that a lot of the "sound" i like in the 2500 is in the make up gain.

i've even gone as far as using no compression on a track with it and adding a touch of gain.
Old 23rd October 2008
  #39
Lives for gear
 
marchhare's Avatar
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubrichie
am i the only one who uses OTHER make-up gain amps after compressors?

When I had the Drawmer and the Smart, I would use a mic pre
for make-up gain. The API is amazing by itself.
Old 23rd October 2008
  #40
Lives for gear
 
DJamesGoody's Avatar
I can't add anything, aside from the fact that I use the link filters a ton. I mix a lot of stuff with hard panned drums ad bass, or just wildly unbalanced panning, and this group of filters, i conjunction with the link percentage, makes this box invaluable. INVALUABLE.

The key is that this box allows massive flexibility in HOW it compresses. You always get that sound, or that color, but you can really choose HOW it compresses, which not many boxes allow. Crucial.
Old 23rd October 2008
  #41
Lives for gear
 
DJamesGoody's Avatar
Oh, and put a 5500 EQ after it, especially if coming from ITB, and you're in heaven. I am, at least.
Old 23rd October 2008
  #42
Gear Maniac
 
Trancetones's Avatar
 

Looking at the recall sheet from my recent album looks like I did thresh at +3 db, attack at 8 m/sec, ratio at 1:1, release at .5 sec, med knee, med thrust, old tone, makeup gain at 4db. this hit my Studer just a touch hot. Really did wonderful things to the mix and especially the snare.
Old 23rd October 2008
  #43
Lives for gear
 
marchhare's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJGoody View Post
Oh, and put a 5500 EQ after it, especially if coming from ITB, and you're in heaven. I am, at least.

That's what I'm thinking comes next.
Old 23rd October 2008
  #44
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancetones View Post
Looking at the recall sheet from my recent album looks like I did thresh at +3 db, attack at 8 m/sec, ratio at 1:1, release at .5 sec, med knee, med thrust, old tone, makeup gain at 4db. this hit my Studer just a touch hot. Really did wonderful things to the mix and especially the snare.
Did you find the attack/release times to have any relevance with ratio set at 1:1?


André
Old 23rd October 2008
  #45
Lives for gear
 
Flying_Dutchman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchhare View Post
I have the Waves 2500 also. The make-up gain on the hardware sounds
wonderful, nothing like when you try and run the plug-in hot. I really like the
Waves API stuff, but there's no comparison to the real thing. I tracked some
vocals and acoustic guitar through it last night and loved what it did to those,
too.
Great news!

Thanks!

I can´t await to test it. Maybe i will get rid of the STC-8 and get the API.

Old 23rd October 2008
  #46
Gear Guru
 
u b k's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Dutchman View Post
Maybe i will get rid of the STC-8 and get the API.

not for nothing, but those are two comps complement each other really well; there's very little overlap in what they do, how they do it, and how they sound; and where one lacks, the other is strong.

the 2500 now lives on my vocal buss, i'm in 1976 heaven.


gregoire
del
ubk
.
Old 23rd October 2008
  #47
Gear Nut
 

Here is the link to a thread I started 4 years ago(man, time goes by too fast), including a setting of Paul Wolf. Your Favourite API2500 StereoBuss Settings

The settings I'm using changed quite a bit:

Now I use alot:
med med old
Atack:1
Release: fastest or something around 9 o'clock
Ratio: 6:1
link: ind

I don't use alot of Gainreduction, with this setting you hear it pretty easy if it's too much, the snare start to sound funny, overcompressed.
Old 23rd October 2008
  #48
amd
Lives for gear
 
amd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJGoody View Post
Oh, and put a 5500 EQ after it, especially if coming from ITB, and you're in heaven. I am, at least.

That's right, this combo definately takes it to another level, I use it all the time!
Old 24th October 2008
  #49
Lives for gear
 
DJamesGoody's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by amd View Post
That's right, this combo definately takes it to another level, I use it all the time!
You know, it's just magic..... it has a synergy that was obviously their intent, but it wows me every time...... thus I haven't taken it off my mix buss in a long time...... nothing else warms my blood like this combo.

Although maybe a Zener and Curve Bender would make me smile too.....
Old 24th October 2008
  #50
Lives for gear
 
Flying_Dutchman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
not for nothing, but those are two comps complement each other really well; there's very little overlap in what they do, how they do it, and how they sound; and where one lacks, the other is strong.

the 2500 now lives on my vocal buss, i'm in 1976 heaven.


gregoire
del
ubk
.
Ok,

i should be a real slut and don´t sell the STC-8.
I´ll borrow a API in 2 weeks and test both together.
Thanks for the hint.
Old 26th October 2008
  #51
Lives for gear
 
duvalle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJGoody View Post
Oh, and put a 5500 EQ after it, especially if coming from ITB, and you're in heaven. I am, at least.
i love that combo too!
sometimes i think i have a little too much api (2500, 5500 and A2D)
but that api sound just makes me happy ... heh
Old 26th October 2008
  #52
Gear Guru
 
u b k's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvalle View Post
sometimes i think i have a little too much api (2500, 5500 and A2D) but that api sound just makes me happy ... heh

same here. thumbsup


gregoire
del
ubk
.
Old 26th October 2008
  #53
Gear Nut
 
Goldfish's Avatar
I love my API 2500 on the 2buss. Very thick, very gluey, creamy mids. Hard to make it sound bad. In modern mode it also approximates the aggressive pseudo-SSL thing quite effectively, even though the more aggressive modern-type compression usually isn't my cup of tea. The API 2500 is very musical, it just puts a smile on my face. And don't underestimate it as a tracking comp. Works great on heavy guitars.
Old 14th November 2008
  #54
tws
Gear Head
Hey guys, I'm considering the 2500 as my next purchase. I tried to hunt around on the forums here for some samples but couldnt seem to find any.

Does anyone have any audio files of a mix with and without the 2500? Just looking to get some sort of idea of how it might sound. Not sure if I'll have the chance to test one before I buy.

Thanks
Old 21st November 2008
  #55
Lives for gear
 
strewnshank's Avatar
 

I just picked up a 2500 yesterday, I'll have a chance to do some before/after stuff this weekend for you.

Can't wait to try it!! Ditched a 1968 for this baby...
Old 5th December 2008
  #56
Lives for gear
 
Benmrx's Avatar
 

Just got done playing with the 2500. Adam from Mercenary sent me one to use until they could ship out the next batch of TK-Audio BC1's.

Now, I'm sort of familiar with this comp. I used one a few times when I lived in L.A., and was mainly working as an assistant at Cherokee Studios. I loved it then (although I'll say my ears weren't very well trained at that point, not that they're perfect now.....but much, much better), and I love it now. Although for totally different reasons.

I completely understand now why some people don't like it as a 2buss compressor, especially if you're the kind of person that likes to mix into compression. At first I didn't really like it, but then I backed waaaay off the compression, to point where the needle was barely, barely moving, maybe doing 1db. Then.......turned up the output gain......HOLY ****BALLS! That's where it's at IMO with this thing. That and the left/right link + filter abilities. I can 100% see why mastering guys love this thing.

That make up gain is amazing! The mid-range is gets focused like ****in' lazer beam! Does all API gear do that? Is that the 2520 I'm hearing? If so, a pair of 550A's + A-Designs 2 space 500 series rack is my next purchase.

I wish I had better ears when I was around all that gear at Cherokee. I did a couple tracking sessions on their API Legacy........ and I still like what I did there, but I was really just twisting knobs till things sounded good, without really knowing why.......... although the things I learned there are still pretty priceless.
Old 5th December 2008
  #57
Gear Guru
 
u b k's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post
Does all API gear do that? Is that the 2520 I'm hearing?

no, and no. the 2520 is, to my ears, what's responsible for the quality of the high freq tone and saturation behavior of, e.g., the 512/312 preamps.

what makes the 2500 magical (and why it has a completely different tone than the preamps) are the output transformers, which is what you're hearing when you crank the makeup. you're digging exactly what i dig about that comp, the way it makes midrange just 'fit'. things that go thru it just mix so much easier, especially guitars of all varieties, pianos of all varieties... pretty much anything defined by the mids.

that's why it lives on my midrange buss.

i also agree with your take on why a lot of guys find it dubious as a mix buss comp; ime, if i mix into it like an ssl, eats the drums before i get into useful glue territory. i mix wide open, and slap the 2500 on the printed mix when all is done, very light touch on the reduction, and it works a lot better for me like that.


gregoire
del
ubk
.
Old 5th December 2008
  #58
Lives for gear
 
Benmrx's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
no, and no. the 2520 is, to my ears, what's responsible for the quality of the high freq tone and saturation behavior of, e.g., the 512/312 preamps.

what makes the 2500 magical (and why it has a completely different tone than the preamps) are the output transformers, which is what you're hearing when you crank the makeup. you're digging exactly what i dig about that comp, the way it makes midrange just 'fit'. things that go thru it just mix so much easier, especially guitars of all varieties, pianos of all varieties... pretty much anything defined by the mids.

that's why it lives on my midrange buss.

i also agree with your take on why a lot of guys find it dubious as a mix buss comp; ime, if i mix into it like an ssl, eats the drums before i get into useful glue territory. i mix wide open, and slap the 2500 on the printed mix when all is done, very light touch on the reduction, and it works a lot better for me like that.


gregoire
del
ubk
.
Good to know It's more about the output transformers than the 2520 in regards to that tone. And, yeah, the "midrange" buss would be my exact spot for it. I'm still mixing with PTLE, and do a bastardized version of the multi-buss technique when mixing. It seems like the best way to make use of the limited I/O. I've got it for a little longer and I'm developing a scheme on which songs to mix while it's still here. Damn that tone!!!! Damn you Adam!!! Damn you API!!!

At least now I know....

Although, I'm still pretty excited about how the BC1 holds up. I have a feeling I'll have a good time really mixing into that comp from the beginning......especially with the mix knob.
Old 5th December 2008
  #59
Lives for gear
 
DONNX's Avatar
 

Love mine, its the only buss comp that has made me happy.

Balls, lots of it. And the sheen is just swheeet.
Old 5th December 2008
  #60
Gear Nut
 
mpapatonis's Avatar
 

The 2500 is freaking amazing. I've used the Alan Smart and the SSL and they are great but the 2500 just does a lot more. It's a "tone" box for sure. If you want vintage,it does vintage. If you want modern cut and punch, it does that too.

I just bought mine about a month ago and I don't know how I lived without it this long. I use it on the mix bus and EVERYTHING sounds better. As mentioned in other posts, a light touch on the mix bus is important (GR not ratio). It can get aggressive (which would be great in other applications).

For sure, one of their best outboard products.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Klauth / So much gear, so little time
5
Deleted User / High end
24
gainreduction / High end
17
BlueBird / High end
8
oldswirlo / High end
7

Forum Jump
Forum Jump