The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Drum Tracking Help!!! Condenser Microphones
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Head

Drum Tracking Help!!!

Okay so.. I'm mic'ng up this kit I made in a good sounding room... the kit is part of a tama kit, trash cans, ww1 cannon shell, trash can lids, 5 gallon of water, metal bars... so anyway, it's a "stomp" trash type kit. So what I have to track this baby is....

Coles 4038, Neuman U67 stphn paul, Chandler TG2, Chandler TG1, Distressor, API 5500,Chandler Germ Pre, Groove Tubes GT55, then some other crappy small condensers and a mxl 2001. Ideas? I'd like to get it in one mic if i could capture the room that well. The room is like 12 x 12 but with wood floors and the one wall is wooded slat closet on the entire wall. I love the sound..... short decay but man it sounds nice.

Ideas? Thanks guys!
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Maniac

uhhh... whats the issue?
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

not knowing what kind of sound you are going for, what your "homemade" kit sounds like...and what the ROOM sounds like........i'm not sure what kind of advice you are seeking.

you have extremely nice gear. certainly enough to mic up anything.

i happen to love my coles on drums.....so i guess...run the coles and the u67 into the tg2....compress to taste with the tg1. maybe setup the coles and u67 as a MS pair...using the coles as the SIDE (figure 8) mic.

a coles into my germ preamp and squashed with a tg1 is about one of the COOLEST drum room sounds i have heard in my room.

honestly...just plug stuff in...move mics around till it sounds cool.

have fun.

best,

jchristopherhughes
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear
Yeah....you definitely got enough guns to shoot SOMETHING cool. I's just try stuff and have fun.

If you have two Coles....a pair of Coles in Blumlein is astounding. They will make the room sound way bigger.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search