The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pictures of various control rooms
Old 28th September 2003
Lives for gear

This the the setup my dad and I are working on. It's a work in progress ; )

Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of various control rooms-studio1.jpg  
Old 28th September 2003
Lives for gear

here are some units that are part of the outboard gear

Thanks for viewing!

Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of various control rooms-racks2.jpg  
Old 29th September 2003

This is a controlroom I spent ALOT of time in, not mine, Marmalade Audio, Wellington NZ. Unfortunately it's closed now (just this year) and is now an audio school. Missing are the NS10 near feild monitors (not sure why !!). Main monitors were Quested 212's.

Tim
Old 29th September 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by The Buzz
This is a controlroom I spent ALOT of time in, not mine, Marmalade Audio, Wellington NZ. Unfortunately it's closed now (just this year) and is now an audio school. Missing are the NS10 near feild monitors (not sure why !!). Main monitors were Quested 212's.

Tim
If you do some sums you can make more money as a recording school then a studio...Sad hey..And all you need is some 001 systems and some old big desk does not even have to be a good one.
Think of it 250 students at $10k each.
Recording budgets are shrinking although suckers with $10k and a dream are everywhere.
Old 29th September 2003
Gear Head

ouch, I wouldn't consider them SUCKERS.
just people with a dream.
I know some successful people on this board
that went to recording schools for $30k

knowledge is power, your only a sucker if you don't use your knowledge
Old 29th September 2003
Lives for gear

Here's my home studio, in the cleanest condition it ever was in.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of various control rooms-controlroom.jpg  
Old 29th September 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Killahurts
Hey kHz, who did the custom woodwork? That's a nice, startrek-bridge looking console-console.

-dave
Old 29th September 2003
Lives for gear

Here's another view. This pic was too big, so I had to take it to another computer, and I reduced it with i-photo.
Dave, I designed and built the console-console, I couldn't get anyone else to understand what I wanted. The rooms were designed by my dear friend Russ Berger.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of various control rooms-diffuserwall2.jpg  
Old 29th September 2003
Gear Guru

Quote:
Can you explain the absorption and diffusion on the walls??
Old 29th September 2003
Lives for gear

yea,

that does look kinda funky. please explain : ) very nice studio btw.

any outboard gear other than the Sony? Can't really make out that last pic.

Jason
Old 29th September 2003
Lives for gear

Where's the salad bar?
Old 29th September 2003
Quote:
oh my god. this says loud to me: scottie beam me up. and I AM a trekkie. i love your studio. i work for no money, i live in your studio keeping it clean, 24 hours running, i order pizza, i do great coffee

regards deft:::
Old 29th September 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by lucey
Can you explain the absorption and diffusion on the walls??
The "modules" on the walls are 8 pcf fiberglass, 2", and they are mounted 2" off the wall, covered in fabric. The back wall is essentially a gigantic bass trap, several feet deep, with the RPG diffusers (12' X4') inset in the middle. The drop down above the back wall is also a trap (mostly 2" and 4" 703), and has a box in there for a projector. I don't have a projector yet because whenever I get any money I always spend it on a slutty piece of audio gear. What you can't see in the pictures is a 3-tier drop ceiling with very absorptive tiles, coming down from the sheetrock ceiling (14' high). These "clouds" have an 8" gap from the walls, around the entire perimeter of the room. This gap is the air conditioner return, so the air in the room is very quiet. I do not allow gear with fans in this room, unless it's temporary. The sound of the room is fairly dry, the way I like it, but it sounds BIG when music is played. It's because we put a lot of effort in controlling the bass, to match the amount we were drying out the highs, etc. The double-magnetic locking doors are made by Wenger and they are excellent.
Old 29th September 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Cornvalley
Where's the salad bar?
That's where the Sony console is sitting in the first picture heh
Old 29th September 2003
Gear Head

Quote:
I've been in quite a few studios over the years but it would be great if there was a book or website that I could browse. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
check out my studios under construction site below - there are pics and plans.

cheers
john
Old 30th September 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by PultecTweaker
ouch, I wouldn't consider them SUCKERS.
just people with a dream.
I know some successful people on this board
that went to recording schools for $30k

knowledge is power, your only a sucker if you don't use your knowledge
I get emails and calls every week from people who have done a course. They only investigate if there is any work afterwards.
I have no problem with people doing courses although the courses should be straight up and say hey there ain't much work. Although then people would not plonk the money down.

The better ones will pull through and maybe get work, I just feel sorry for the rest.
Old 30th September 2003
Motown legend

Here's a really rare one. It's Motown's three track control room that was used before the eight-track was built in 1964. (I started working there in 1965)
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of various control rooms-1528.jpg  
Old 30th September 2003
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Olhsson
Here's a really rare one. It's Motown's three track control room that was used before the eight-track was built in 1964. (I started working there in 1965)
So for vocal music would that be 2 tracks of music (live) with a lead vocal track (live or dubbed)?
Old 30th September 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Olhsson
Bob,

There doesn't seem to be much EQ in the room there, yet those recordings are very bright and sparkley/EQ'd sounding (in the best possible way). Was everything hitting one EQ as it was layed down, or was it in mastering. Can you give us some "fly on the wall" perspective of those sessions and the signal chain of that era?
Old 30th September 2003
Motown legend

We had the usual two or three Pultecs and a Langevin passive graphic equalizer. The most interesting thing to be is that it is by far the earliest console I know of that had multiple echo send pots. I assume the "push to talk" handset was the talkback.

Berry had started out recording mono backing tracks and then taking them into United sound to overdub the artists. My impression is that all three tracks were used for the rhythm session and then those were mixed to 1 or 2 tracks on the second 3-track leaving a track open for vocals.
Old 1st October 2003
Lives for gear

Nothing like some of my fellow slutz rooms, but here it is....both the cause and fruit of my labour.....

As another poster mentioned, this is probably the cleanest it ever was.

Old 1st October 2003
Lives for gear

Great Thread BTW!

I am seriously jealous of some of rooms you folks get to work in.
Unfortunately, I doubt my local music industry will ever be able to support a truly high end studio. For now I'll just fantasize.

Not complaining though, I am very lucky to get to do what I love.

So....any more studio shots out there?
Old 1st October 2003
Lives for gear

Zakco,

I REALLY like your studio. I like your multiple CR windows, and it looks like you can see through the studio and outside window from mix position. Nice!

Hey, is that an old Hammond sitting there in the forground?
Old 1st October 2003
Lives for gear

Thanks Killahurts,

The Hammond is a 57' B3 and I've momentarily forgotten the model of the leslie, but it's the one Jimmy Smith made famous.

The CR actually has THREE visible windows to the outside, one directly through the tracking room, one through the iso room, and one through the lounge/office. This time of year I actually get sunshine in the control room for about an hour in the morning and just before sunset from the other angle. The studio is located on 5 acres in a pastoral setting, so we made a point of building the view into the design.

I'm glad you like the pictures, I was a little intimidated after seeing some of the other rooms in this thread.

-Zak
Old 26th March 2004
Lives for gear

Don't know if this is "allowed" but here's some pic's of me and some places I've worked....
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of various control rooms-room2.jpg  
Old 26th March 2004
Lives for gear

and another...
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of various control rooms-b-room3.gif  
Old 26th March 2004
Lives for gear

The 9098i I worked on in school.....ahhh...those were the days
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of various control rooms-9098i-2-1.jpg  
Old 26th March 2004
Lives for gear

The SSL I worked on in school. This is a really nice room and sounds good for a school...
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of various control rooms-ssl-fullsail2.jpg  
Old 26th March 2004
Captain

This is home for me.............
http://www.glenwoodstudios.com/

best place in L.A for my money
Old 26th March 2004
Lives for gear

I saw that place earlier, very very nice.

What kinda $$$?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search