The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pictures of various control rooms
Old 23rd March 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Heterodox

But seriously - Paul wouldn't ever really need a chart of the song...our writing process is pretty intense and he is only ever playing our stuff. We have a large whiteboard if any ideas need to be catalogged on the spot, but we usually take songs part by part until we can link it all up.
Ah - I misplaced that your facility is strictly for you and your guys to do your thing; I'm a bit more used to doing whatever the client wants - Earlier this week I recorded a 9 piece Western Swing band, yesterday I did vocals on a rap song and a contemporary R&B track, and about 15 minutes ago, Ranger Doug from Riders In The Sky was here to add some yodeling to a song. Tomorrow is vocals on jazz standards, and I think I'll be starting a contemporary Christian rock record and a 9 song country project, along with mixing the Western Swing record. Without charts, there's no music...

Quote:

Danny Carry uses internals in the studio and live and I'm a huge fan of his tom sound. It gets a little atonal for me (just a large thump), but he has a habbit of tuning ALL of his toms to E and D.
Are you sure that he uses them in the studio as well? Endorsing a product doesn't mean that you use it all the time. This comes from working with guys who endorse drums - I know a Grestch endorser who uses a Pearl kit (with Grestch hardware and a Grestch logo on the front head) on all of his live dates...
Old 23rd March 2003
Gear Maniac

Yikes, thats quite the lineup of stuff....earlier this week I slept, ate a bit, read some stuff. Did that today too. Hmm...beginning to think that your life is a tad more exciting. grudge

I get the info about Danny from pics btw. Every picture I've ever seen of him in the studio has a notable absence of mics around his toms (and in many of them you can see the mics inside). If you are familiar with Tool's attitudes/views (well, at least what I PERSONALLY think they are trying to convey most of the time) Danny doesn't seem like the type of guy to ride endorsements or put his face/name on anything without a good reason. Everything he plays he plays because he prefers it...although I gotta say I don't know why he chooses Sonar hardware - but who am I to argue with a drum diety eh? Of course I could just be overcompensating for the fact that I want to have his baby.

I'd really be interested to hear comments on the D2s for internals if anyone had ever used em. On paper they seem like a great tom mic. Btw Dave, did you ever work with the May 57 on snare? Along the lines of your "capturing the tone from the other direction" comment, I've long had a nagging qualm in the back of my head regarding the pickup of the actual snares. It would seem that if the mic is facing upwards you'd get more of a high tom sound with a faint rattle. Ever notice this to be the case? Of course it could be compensated with a 57 under the snare, but I'm not a fan of that as of yet.

You gotta admit though, internals rock for setting up live shows. "Hmm...overhead, overhead, hi-hat....oh everything else is already ready?" =D SHAZAM!

Peace, love, thanks.

P.S. - You called a small room in my house my "facility." Don't patronize me. heh fuuck heh

Old 23rd March 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Heterodox
Btw Dave, did you ever work with the May 57 on snare? Along the lines of your "capturing the tone from the other direction" comment, I've long had a nagging qualm in the back of my head regarding the pickup of the actual snares. It would seem that if the mic is facing upwards you'd get more of a high tom sound with a faint rattle. Ever notice this to be the case? Of course it could be compensated with a 57 under the snare, but I'm not a fan of that as of yet.

You gotta admit though, internals rock for setting up live shows. "Hmm...overhead, overhead, hi-hat....oh everything else is already ready?" =D SHAZAM!
I've never worked with the May on snare, but of the top of my head, I wouldn't think that your concerns are going to be an issue; the snare part of the sound is pretty dominant...

And while internals make the set up easier, so does the 'put triggers on all the drums' method. But my questions would concern the sonic aspects. A couple of live sound guys are Gearslutz, as well as some damn fine remote guys; maybe they'l chime in with an opinion on internal drum mics on live gigs.
Old 24th March 2003
Lives for gear

First, the audix D2. don;t bother, IMHP. get a D3 or D4 they are better by far..

Second.. Internal Mics... In my experience, this technique works much better for fast, aggressive metal than anything else ( not that it couldn't work, that is just where I see it most. It really helps in that genre to get top end on toms without gating the **** out of them ( not to mention the tremandous amount of cymbals and tremoundous lack of real estate left around the skins... ) The last kit I did had beta 98's mounted in the toms worked great
Old 24th March 2003
Gear Maniac

D4s on a 10 inch tom? Isn't that a little off frequency wise? Would you suggest using different mics for the toms as they approach the floor? I would really like to keep the mics all the same as to keep the general sound the same as well.
Old 24th March 2003
Lives for gear

First, the audix D2. don;t bother, IMHP. get a D3 or D4 they are better by far..

Second.. Internal Mics... In my experience, this technique works much better for fast, aggressive metal than anything else ( not that it couldn't work, that is just where I see it most. It really helps in that genre to get top end on toms without gating the **** out of them ( not to mention the tremandous amount of cymbals and tremoundous lack of real estate left around the skins... ) The last kit I did had beta 98's mounted in the toms worked great
Old 24th March 2003
Gear Head

I actually hate running across kits with internally mounted mics. The last kit that I had to do with internal mics had AKG D112's mounted in all the toms. It sounded horrible. AS far as heavy aggressive soudns go, I would much rather prefer gates and top mounted 98's. I really love using decent gates to change the tone and attack/release of toms especially so that they will really fit the music being played, and be very punchy. For heavy and alternative bands I love being able to feel it even when a 10" tom is being hit. But I also find it is very important that some of the stick sound is heard as well so a whole live mix doesn't mush up on you.

Another thing I noticed is that internally mounted mics actually seem to need a heavier gating when they are mounted on a rack system. The racks tend to pass enough vibration to really get toms 12" and larger vibrating pretty constantly. Add that to the fact that most drummers on my stage have a triamped drumfill with an 18" sub, low end vibrations can add up pretty quickly. I do agree that mounting systems for mics are fast and easy, but I much prefer as an engineer to have all of my control out front, and I don't feel as much control when the mics are mounted internally. Kick however is a different story. I love being able to get rid of that one stand in front of the kick drum that the singer constantly kicks. They don't understand that is NOT why we call it the kick mic.

Also, you should really try using a mic designed for lower frequencies. I have decided as an engineer, that I do not care if tom mics are matched as a set. I would prefer they are matched to the individual drum they are micing
Old 8th September 2003
Gear Addict

I'm excited to finally get my studio finished!
A year later.
Two more items to get:
Brent Averill 1272
PT HD2
And that's all I need....

Yea RIGHT!!
Old 8th September 2003
Gear Addict

Old 8th September 2003
Gear Addict

These are my two babies!
Guild D-50nt bought in 1980 for $500.
Old growth Brazilian Roserood.
and
Taylor 540c
Mahagony & Cedar.
Old 8th September 2003
Gear Addict

Client area wall of diffusers.
Old 8th September 2003
Gear Addict

I need to go to work now.
Old 9th September 2003
Lives for gear

Cornvalley,

I like your set up. Did you have the studio built? I've been thinking about redesigning my studio as well.

Dean
Old 9th September 2003
Lives for gear

very very very nice! Are you a commercial studio or are you an avid DIY'er?
Old 9th September 2003
Lives for gear

Yeah, as in my previous post, that's a real nice set up. Are you a writer/producer?
Old 9th September 2003
Ted
Gear Maniac

Hi all,

Someday I'll get a web page up.

http://store6.yimg.com/I/transaudiodirect_1749_586982

Thanks,
Ted.
Old 9th September 2003
Lives for gear

Very nice...between cornvalley and teds place there is an indecent amount of money floating around.Beautiful...both...

And Ted I'm still coming down to OKC to visit my family ...still want that tour....heh
Old 9th September 2003
Lives for gear

For some reason, I think Ted's studio is without question the nicest I've ever seen. If I wanted to do a record with a serious need for sonic purity, that's the place I'd pick to do it! BTW- Ted, I still want to send you that CD but I've lost all our old eMails so I need your adress again- you can eMail it to me at [email protected]
Old 9th September 2003
Gear Guru

Magic Garden Studio ...
Old 9th September 2003
Gear Guru

da rack ...
Old 9th September 2003
Gear Guru

da beast...
Old 9th September 2003
Lives for gear

Now that's a room with a VU.
Old 9th September 2003
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Cornvalley
Now that's a room with a VU.
you'll also notice the small red screwdriver ...

MM1200 = constant tweaks
Old 9th September 2003
Lives for gear

sweet lord- nice tape machine :-)
Old 9th September 2003
Gear Addict

Yea!! You got the beef coming and going!thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
Old 9th September 2003
Gear Head

before::
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of various control rooms-before.jpg  
Old 9th September 2003
Gear Head

After::

Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of various control rooms-after.jpg  
Old 9th September 2003
Lives for gear

My sweet lord... Allaire is magnificent.
Old 9th September 2003
Gear Guru

If anyone needs help in ...

say, dusting the great room at Allaire, I'm game.

A ton of money in that place. Whew ... beautiful.
Old 9th September 2003
Lives for gear

I just finished building this place. I even made the furniture
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of various control rooms-transmedia.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search