The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pictures of various control rooms
Old 7th March 2003
Moderator emeritus

I notice that several of the control room pictured here have computers, Pro Tools converters, drive enclosures, power supplies and power amps visible.

Does the noise from the cooling fans or from the spinning drives ever bother you? I built a machine room, and then ended up unplugging the fans in my Vac Racs (after checking with the designer), and even the fan in a Kurzweil 2500 occasionally annoys me.
Old 7th March 2003
Gear Maniac

Yes, the noise from all that stuff does bother me. We are going to make a small machine area in the area right outside the control soon. We just haven't gotten around to it. The noise hasn't been enough for me to lose my mind yet though.
Old 8th March 2003
Lives for gear

The pictures of all these beautiful havens full of GEAR is making me cRazY...........I love the vibe of Jules room...its so....uhh naughty english....
Old 8th March 2003
Here for the gear

We have all that noisy stuff behind sliding glass in the wall between the control room and machine room. Good rear access too.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of various control rooms-sms_sydney.jpg  
Old 8th March 2003
Lives for gear

jules> I can't help myself, I have to ask...

isn't it bad to have one woofer of the Adams facing directly the back of the console/controler?

and what you found is tl audio ivory good for? I was pretty disappointed by this unit...
Old 8th March 2003
Gear Addict

hmmm I don't know if I have any current control room shots but here's a look round our little joint
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of various control rooms-eric-40therhodes.jpg  
Old 10th March 2003
Lives for gear

At this link you can see the SSL room @ Galaxy studio's in Belgium:

But what's REALLY COOL is the link on that page called: VIRTUAL VIEW!
(try it!)
Old 10th March 2003
Klaus from ADAM says the on my model speaker, "music" is coming out of the TOP cone (mid & bass) and 'only bass' out of the botom. I sit low in my chair, the top center cone is just visable to me and my ears are getting 'all tweeters'.

Thanks for reminding me, I plan to raise them just 3 or 4 inches on concrete blocks sometime soon,

But they are very 'workable' in this set up.

Old 10th March 2003
Lives for gear
Great studio Gie. Is your studio floor level higher then your control room? Also, could you give the approximate dimensions of your control room.

DW
Old 10th March 2003
Lives for gear

jules> yes definitely much better than my pair of event's woofers facing my ears directly ;-)
Old 10th March 2003
Lives for gear

Did someone say a pic that looked like work was going on?

Check out that nasty Chinese food on top of the SVT.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of various control rooms-kev-boardj.jpg  
Old 10th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Beech
Great studio Gie. Is your studio floor level higher then your control room? Also, could you give the approximate dimensions of your control room.
DW
Well.. I'm sorry... it's not my studio. (I wish it was, but I don't own a studio. I'm just a producer/mixer working almost everywhere).
The pics are showing ONE of the rooms at Galaxy (CHECK OUT WHAT ELSE THEY GOT, and take a look at their mastering-room!) ).
Old 10th March 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by 5down1up
why do most studio picture look like theres no work going on at all . its clean and nice like a catalogue picture . i never have been to a studio which looked like this heh
How's this? It'll look worse tomorrow, when I start mixing...
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of various control rooms-messy-desk.jpg  
Old 10th March 2003
Moderator emeritus

Or this? The lunch plates appeared after I took the picture...
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of various control rooms-messy-rack.jpg  
Old 11th March 2003
Lives for gear

So, Fibes, ya reheatin that dish? Fer later?
Old 13th March 2003
Gear Addict

this is my HOME-Studio......

Old 13th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by sonic dogg
So, Fibes, ya reheatin that dish? Fer later?
It was dangerous enough the first time. I was keeping the leftovers warm for the vocalist while he finished tracking.
Old 14th March 2003
Lives for gear

props to RobAcid for the crazy mad scientist rig... a slut after my own heart...
Old 14th March 2003
Insane in the membrain!

Old 14th March 2003
jho
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by six_wax
props to RobAcid for the crazy mad scientist rig... a slut after my own heart...
Look at all those coffee cups for one person ...hehe no wonder the mad scientist look!!
Old 15th March 2003
Gear Addict

you need to be a bit crazy for electronic music, clean rooms are doing clean music.......heh

and nothing is better that an milk-coffee

but on the picture are not all of my stuff.... after 11 years in the biz, i have some more little things in the cases, cause i doing live-gigs.
Old 18th March 2003
Lives for gear

Here's mine. Not the kind of work I prefer goin' on right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of various control rooms-juniorhifi_ouch.jpg  
Old 18th March 2003
Lives for gear

almost a control room....
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of various control rooms-crone.jpg  
Old 18th March 2003
Lives for gear

and....
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of various control rooms-cr2.jpg  
Old 20th March 2003
Lives for gear

Not to be confused with "HIGH END"..but its my own party room
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of various control rooms-console3.jpg  
Old 20th March 2003
Lives for gear

This ,however, IS the high end...the view from the lounge chair on the patio....
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of various control rooms-golf2.jpg  
Old 20th March 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Sonic Dogg,

Is that Mount Hood? My folks have a similar view from their farm west of Portland. What an awesome vista. I miss it here in Paris.
Old 20th March 2003
Lives for gear

Sonic Dogg,

That is beautiful! What a great break room heh
Old 20th March 2003
Lives for gear

Thanx, Yeah Jon, its Mt.Hood...I'm on the east side of Gresham in the Portland area...on a clear day we get Hood,Adams, and St.Helens very clearly...Hope things are well for you in Paree what with all the crappolla goin on...now if i could just get someone to give me a bunch of API's,AMEK's,Neumanns and such, i could live in beautiful gearslut heaven.....
Old 21st March 2003
Gear Maniac

(there are photos in this post, I promise...and soundclips!)

Greetings Gearslutz. Short time lurker, first time poster here.

My name is Bryan, I'm 19, I live in Austin, TX and have been delving into the world of recording for about 2 years now. I have no formal training of any kind and I have generally learned everything I know (perhaps not much?) through the internet and good old tinkering.

Anyhow I started learning about recording because I was unhappy with the premise of recording my band at other studios. I'm not fond of pressure/money and I enjoy being able to catalog ideas as they come - as well as flesh out old ideas IN the studio.

So I saw all the big dogs swinging their grapefruit sized "Studio-balls" in this thread and after salivating I thought it looked like a fun place to humbly present my meager beginnings/achievements and to begin my gearslutdom. What follows will indeed make some of you cringe.

(I apologize if this is in the wrong section? But...I DO have pictures!)

-------------------------------------------

At present I still live at home, and I have an almost decent 22x15 room with which to work with. The room has many shortcomings - waynescotting and doors and windows and air vents that rattle, a large brick wall (the back of a fireplace from another room), a low ceiling, etc. We make the most of it =\

2 years ago Cakewalk PA9 excited the poo out of me. I hated trying to make something sound decent on Tascam 4-tracks (lol...). So I set up my first "DAW." (yeah right)

The golden signal chain was as follows (for drums):
Multiple $50-100 mics hooked into a Yamaha EMX68S and a Yorkville MP8 (budget live/powered PA mixers for those unaware). The output from the MP8 was then routed to the EMX which I used the RCA outs of to send a stereo mix to 2 tracks on a Tascam 424 MKIII. Whew...that's a setup I imagine isn't common in the HIGH END section. The entire damned chain was its own weakest link, lol...

After the recording was on "tape" (next best thing to a studer right?)....it was then bounced into my computer via an RCA to mini-plug. The input? A line-in on my old Soundblaster Live!. World class A/D yes?

At some point we ditched the the 4-track and just started recording the rca-mini directly in. It didn't take long to realize that this WAS NOT GOING TO CUT IT. I spent months delving through Full Compass, Musician's Friend, and Sweetwater catalogs...oogling at all of the great looking recording gear. I got a job and began purchasing equipment piece by piece for a few months (I even upgraded my celeron to a p4).

I fell into a trap that I'm sure alot of people do - I bought miles of PROSUMER gear. This is a title I have given to the consumer level crap-ass gear that PRO magazines like to sell with quotes like "PROFESSIONAL" "WORLD CLASS" etc etc etc bull**** bull**** bull****. Because a $139 Bluetube preamp is really high quality professional gear right? EveAnna beware, Presonus is on the prowl!

These pictures are from around 8 months ago (since then the prosumer studio has been dismantled and sold on ebay for about 90% of what I spent. Enjoy slutz.
------------------------------------------

The Nexus and myself. Yes, those are two Q10s...(shudder). Also accompanying my rack o' crap is a couple of DBX 1046 Quad comps and a 266 Dual Comp. When you add everything up each preamp and/or compressor channel is $100 or less. The Tascam CD-RW2000 is the only piece IMHO that is worth its weight (I actually kept it based on such thoughts).

Front view. The dreaded Alesis Monitor Ones and some rip-off brand movie theatre speakers for mains. Oh and a Tannoy PS110b underneath - actually I rather liked the Tannoy (hey EveAnna has a ps110 in her room so BLEH! god I read too much...). Note sheet on wall...behind which lies 2 inch bedfoam from Academy covering a very large BRICK WALL.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search