The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Amek 9098 compressor. Any Comments?
Old 28th February 2003
Gear Head

Amek 9098 compressor. Any Comments?

Never used this compressor before but have a chance to buy one. Anyone with experience of this particular unit. Basically is it any good. I have noticed the unit doesnt seem to have held its price very well on the secondhand market. IS this a reflection of its functionality?? or lack of.

Thanks.
Old 28th February 2003
Re: Amek 9098 compressor. Any Comments?

Quote:
Originally posted by Robinhood
I have noticed the unit doesnt seem to have held its price very well on the secondhand market. IS this a reflection of its functionality?? or lack of.

Thanks.
In one word...yes.

Its a one trick pony and the one trick it does its ok.

It doesn't sound like the older Neve comps(not many do anyway).

I would skip it if i were you(unless you are getting it really cheap).
Old 28th February 2003
Lives for gear

I have one ... never liked it personally, but my companion does so it stays in.

Unlike the 9098 eq/pre's which are excellent , the stereo comp/lim unit does not stand out for it's quality nore it's ease in operation. Can't seem to get a satisfying result out of it ... might be me though.

like thrill says ... if it is realy realy realy realy cheap ... get it ... otherwise ... don't bother.
Old 28th February 2003
One with big hooves

It's ok. I wouldn't kick it out of the bed but I wouldn't go out of my way for one either. It's a quality piece, but it's just kind of average IMHO.
Old 28th February 2003
Gear Head

Thanks for the info guys. In fact the unit I had my eye on has been sold already. Still, not to bothered after the comments. It was cheap but not bargain of the century.

Thanks again
Old 28th February 2003
Never dug em...

Old 28th February 2003
Lives for gear

Whats about the "Ambient" setting?
Surposed to be a expander/upward compressor.
Old 1st March 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Nutmeg II.
Whats about the "Ambient" setting?
Surposed to be a expander/upward compressor.
And?

If you are asking if its as cool as lets say a Omnipressor, the answer is no.

I think its a little much to pay $3K for a unit which is supposed to be known for its compression.

The unit is known for a cool trick it does, but that's it.
Old 1st March 2003
Lives for gear

and whats the cool trick ???

i have one and would like to show him the cool trick thrills talking bout . i have to say that i like the 9098 but i dont have a hand on 10 other brands to compare it with .
Old 1st June 2003
Lives for gear

I want to bump this up to hear what the "cool trick" is.

Is $2000 a good price for one?
Old 1st June 2003
Lives for gear

I have this piece. I really like it on kick and vox. Never liked it on the bus either.
drew
Old 2nd June 2003
"Very hard to set up."

You can say that again!

grudge
Old 2nd June 2003
Lives for gear

what about that special trick ???

Old 18th October 2005
Gear Head

the trick!

I think that the ambience feature is to hear the compresed signal just for adjust the atack & release adjust with the output gain, and then you unswitch the ambience button to hear your settings. I guess...
I have one and I apply this way, very clean comp.
Old 19th October 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
"Very hard to set up."

You can say that again!
Very hard to set up!

Have a look inside it.... what a piece of s.h.i.t
Old 19th October 2005
Harmless Wacko

Great box.

Especially on vocals.

Gotta learn how to use 'em.

Very finicky to set up.

All I'm gonna say.

Keep driving the price down, I'm up to about 40 channels now.

KIDDING!!!

KIDDING.

A joke(the price and # of channels part... not the rest).

Sorry.

Cabin fever, trapped in mix from hell.

SM.
Old 24th October 2005

Me happy with mine... Got it super cheap 6 months ago so I guess I didn't try it in all possible ways. I'm also in the club of those who don't have 20 other comps to compare it with - but IMHO it's just fine. Works very well on drums (kick, snare, etc) AFAIC. Never tried it on a buss though.

Don't worry, be happy. I'm Happy.
Old 24th October 2005
Gear Addict

works great for bv:s for me. use it alot when there arethem in the studios...

markus
Old 24th October 2005
eso
Gear Maniac

Got ours for £150 from an auction. At that price it is a steal. Not the most inspiring compressor in the world, but clearly functional. It is okay on most instruments, but never on a mix. It's not hard to set up once you are used to it.
Old 24th October 2005
Lives for gear

Ours works and sounds fine, and we got it at a good price.

It's got a lot of buttons & knobs, most of which seem extraneous (unless that neat trick it supposedly does is really really cool....)
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Head

Ambience control

According to the Amek manual the ambience control is for the following:

“The ambience switch is a unique feature of the RNCL which allows background (ambient) noise to be reduced and is best understood by listening to it.

When ambience is selected, the output signal is neither the compressed/limited signal nor the signal input; it is the difference between them.

If controls are adjusted so that no gain reduction takes place, the input and the output signals are identical with the difference between them being zero.

With ‘ambience’ selected, the output will also be zero i.e. silence. Note that under some conditions, the phase of the signal passing through will be altered.”
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Trick is to set it upheh
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Head

The “Trick” is this.
With the Ambience button in you notice the volume drop because of the expander/gate at that point.
Move the gain up until you reach the crossover just on the fence of compression and expansion which puts your gain back. You’ll start to hear the signal toggle in and out of the gate/expander mode. At that point you can adjust to taste, but it really makes a drum kit pop compared to the regular compression. That’s about the only thing I use it for.
Old 24th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark View Post
The “Trick” is this.
With the Ambience button in you notice the volume drop because of the expander/gate at that point.
Move the gain up until you reach the crossover just on the fence of compression and expansion which puts your gain back. You’ll start to hear the signal toggle in and out of the gate/expander mode. At that point you can adjust to taste, but it really makes a drum kit pop compared to the regular compression. That’s about the only thing I use it for.
Its the same thing done on the SSL channels on drums...using the compressor & expander at the same time to make them more "in your face" sounding.
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Its the same thing done on the SSL channels on drums...using the compressor & expander at the same time to make them more "in your face" sounding.
That's the one
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark View Post
The “Trick” is this.
Not sure how this relates to the unit in question. The 9098 compressor I use doesn't have a gate or an input gain. Are you talking about the console?

IME the ambience button is tool to get rid of unwanted background ambience. Well all know that when you compress you lower the 'direct' sounds relative to the ambient sounds. By outputing the difference between the input and the output the unit is really giving you 'what you the compressor is taking away'.

It's an interesting concept that has limited use IMO. However, some creative sounds can be achieved with it.
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthando View Post
Not sure how this relates to the unit in question. The 9098 compressor I use doesn't have a gate or an input gain. Are you talking about the console? .
No. I'm talking about the output gain. And yes it is a limited effect but sometimes cool when you need it.
Old 13th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5down1up View Post
and whats the cool trick ???

Cowbell compression
Old 18th August 2016
Lives for gear

Ok I'm bumping this one..

Got one this week from a fellow slut and am quite pleased so far.

Agree that it's quite finicky to setup but once you find the slot I've found its quite useable in many applications.

Granted it's not a substitute for a 2254/33699 or my fave 2264 as its creaky in the 5534 o'clock camp but I still like it.

So far have had immediate success on
Kik
Snare
Oh
And bass which was the most surprising as I'm a real 1176***** when it comes to bass.. I've got 6 of them! I like the 'hair' and 'girth' they can offer but the action in the amek I feel from my limited time with it so far,allows it to sit in the pocket better.

Any other tips or uses ??

Cheers
Wiggy
Old 18th August 2016
Gear Addict
Dont know why the 9098 series is not liked much around here. 9098 cl is good for most things...drums bkv..other things....its clean but maybe thats why people tlk about it...it was made around a time people were enjoying transparent. I like it...like the preamp and eq as well....low thresholds and ratios tho

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search