The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best PLUG INS For The Job ? (thats NOT Waves) Channel Strip Plugins
Old 26th August 2008
Gear Addict

Best PLUG INS For The Job ? (thats NOT Waves)

I was wondering anyones/everyones valuable input on what you feel in your personal experience would be the absolute BEST of the BEST Plug In for each of these tasks listed below (if you can, please explain in as much detail as you have time for as to the "why's" of your suggestions):

1- Best Harmonic Distortion Plug In ?

2- Best De-Esser Plug In ?

3- Best Bass Enhancement Plug In ? (similar to Waves RenBass, but better and not Waves)

For use with Pro Tools - so RTAS and or TDM - trying to get away from Waves Plug Ins, so please no Waves suggestions [unless you want to pay for my WUP !!!] lol - ha

I am shooting for most real, like hardware piece type of nice authentic great sound with plenty of options, settings, and ETC.... but all in Plug In form. Basically, the best a Plug In can do type of sound for a what would be normally "hardware" guy.

Thank you all in advance
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

have you tried the massey de-esser?
Old 26th August 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infa View Post
URS Saturation

Quote:
Sonnox SuperEsser

Quote:
3- Best Bass Enhancement Plug In ? (similar to Waves RenBass, but better and not Waves)
Hmmmm.... how about picking up a DBX 120? It's hardware, but costs about the same as a plugin.
Old 26th August 2008
Gear Addict

1. Reel Tape Saturation sounds great.

2. The Massey De-esser is great.

3. I just use RenBass. Haven't really ever tried a different one.
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Addict

Thanks for the input guys.

Yea, I really like the way that Sonnex SuperEsser looks. Whats great about it, is that I have been planning on getting the Oxford Reverb, and a few others from Sony/Sonnex Oxford, so this would tie right on in. I'm sold unless someone else brings attention to something better as far as DeEssers go.

The Harmonic Distortion, looks like a no brainer huh ? There's not too many of these I guess ? URS is it ? What about Eventide ? Don't they make Harmonic Distorters (Plug Ins) ?

Tony, I like your idea about the DBX 120... Seems more pro anyway. Its not a thing that I need on several tracks in one song anyway, so a hardware unit would be just fine. If I ever did need it on more, I could always just re-record the track with the effect on it and save DSP anyway.. I usually don't like doing that, but if I am sure I got it dialed in the way I want it, it should be fine.

Keep the suggestions coming guys !!
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

1- Best Harmonic Distortion Plug In - Sonnox Inflator or Warm in Sonnox Dynamics - other notables are DUY Valve & Phoenix

2- Best De-Esser Plug In - i love the multiband compressors for this purpose and perhaps better would be a dynamic eq like that in the powercore which i'm starting to use

3- Best Bass Enhancement Plug In - Aphex has a TDM plugin which is amazing
Aphex Big Bottom Pro/Aural Exciter Bundle (TDM) by Aphex Systems - Plugins and Digital Tools For Digital Artists - Pluginz.com
Old 27th August 2008
The McDSP Emerald Pack will give you everything you are looking for and then some, along with great support and free updates (at least most of the time the updates are free).

Check out McDSP - McDowell Signal Processing, LLC - Home and have a look through all of their plug-ins. Every single plug-in they make is included in the Emerald Pack and if you get the TDM version you'll have the best of everything they do.

We do carry the McDSP line but I also use them on every single mix I do. From Analog Channel 1 & 2, to Channel G and the new De-Esser, they are really my favorite plug-ins (SoundToys being a close second but those are effects only).

Hope that helps!
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Head

magix am-phibia (very good tube sound on vocal)

Eiosis E2Deesser - This is the most useful vocal eq too. You can high shelf and reduce the esses independently!
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Nut

Massey De:Esser, amazing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search