The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
outboard gear and console question Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 26th August 2008

outboard gear and console question

if i have a compressor patched in into my console, through the patchbay. How many channels can use the compressor before its to much. its dbx 160x compressor. sorry , i just cant remember . also would i put the compresssor through an aux or use a channel. thanks
Old 26th August 2008
Not sure I understand what your asking??

If it sounds over compressed, than its over compressed. Use like 2-4 DB reduction with a moderate attack and release on the master buss and THATS IT, unless you need to control the dynamics of a vocal or kick drum, snare drum etc.....USE IT LIGHTLY and don't over compress.

Send as many channels to it as you need to get the job done.
Old 26th August 2008

Im asking, if you use a compressor through the patchbay. can you use it on every channel, (not that you would want to) . and would you use it through your aux or channel strip.
Old 26th August 2008
Use it wherever you need it:

Master Buss/Master Buss Inserts
Channels Inserts, or after a mic pre.....in parallel....etc....

etc.....

Thats the whole point of having the bay there, so you can use it wherever you need it.
Old 26th August 2008

does it overload the compressor,if you use it on to many channels, is what im asking? and would you use it on the aux or channel strip, like on the fader
Old 26th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Explain

Perhaps it would be a good idea if you explained the scenario in which you are using the compressor and what you are trying to achieve. It sounds like you may be a bit confused about the signal flow here...
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

My answer is no, you should not send whatever you want to it.
Compressors should be inserted into a signal path, meaning one channel of audio going into one channel of compression. You should have insert jacks on your console. You would be connecting INSERT OUT > COMPRESSOR IN > COMPRESSOR OUT > INSERT IN. If you have only one insert jack per channel then you can get a Y-cable made for inserts.

It's not typically treated the same way as an effects processor, like reverb or delay, where you set up a return for the unit and send whatever you want to it. That's an effects send and return, different concept.

As always, that's just what I know... someone else may have an entirely different answer.
Old 26th August 2008

if you are using a compressor hooked up to the console. accessible by the patchbay...and your mixing down.. you have (1)kick, (2)snare, (3)hihat. and so on ..... can you put that one compressor on each channel without overloading the compressor. it seems to me that if you use the same compressor on each channel, it would not have the same quality,, if you just use it on a few channels. or am i missing something
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWG_TRAIN View Post
if you are using a compressor hooked up to the console. accessible by the patchbay...and your mixing down.. you have (1)kick, (2)snare, (3)hihat. and so on ..... can you put that one compressor on each channel without overloading the compressor. it seems to me that if you use the same compressor on each channel, it would not have the same quality,, if you just use it on a few channels. or am i missing something
What you are describing is setting up the compressor to act like an fx unit. In order to apply a single compressor to all these sources you would need to use an aux or a buss. For example, patch the AUX 1 output on your patchbay into the compressor. Now turn up the aux 1 send on your kick / snare / hat channels. If you were to now listen to the output of the DBX you would hear all these sources compressed together.. You might now want to use this signal alongside the original dry source signals. Would it overload the compressor? Depends on how much aux 1 you send into it and how you set it up. For example, someone mixing a hard rock track and using this method would be going for quite extreme settings and hitting the input with a high level to achieve distortion, pumping etc. They could then mix in this compressed blend of drums as a discernable effect pumping away under the source drums.

However, something tells me you have got your wires a bit crossed and are under the assumption you could have individual compression control over each seperate source using one compressor. This is not the case. As previous posters have suggested, you would typically patch a compressor in via each individual channels insert point. If you plug your DBX over the insert of your kick drum, it will only be affecting your kick drum channel etc etc

Simple answer; BUY MORE COMPRESSORS!!!
Old 27th August 2008

so i have to buy a compressor for each channel...seems like there is a way to use one compressor for several channels isnt there???
Old 27th August 2008
Why do you think you need a compressor on every channel?

I mean you've never really said what your trying to do, so I'm having a hard time understating your signal path and even what you're goals are here......if you want to use a compressor on every track, use it on the MASTER BUSS, that makes the most sense to me....
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
so i have to buy a compressor for each channel...seems like there is a way to use one compressor for several channels isnt there???
the responses to this questions have answered that for you.

if you have ONE compressor...(a hardware...not plugin) it can really only be used on ONE source at a time. you can compress a "subgroup" of several channels...ie....maybe send your kick, and bass guitar to the same buss...and insert your single channel compressor on that buss.

i believe you are a bit confused on basic signal flow of recording gear.

if you want a hardware compressor on EACH channel...you need a compressor FOR each channel. hardware is much different than dealing with plugins. if you own a plugin compressor...ie...the bomb factory la-2...you CAN insert an instance of that plugin on as many channels as your computer processor will allow. unfortunately it does not work that way in the analog world.

would be nice if it did !! i'd love to have my daking comps on every channel in a mix !!

what gear do you have specifically ? maybe we can help you out a bit more if we know what you are working with.

best,

jchristopherhughes
Old 27th August 2008

let me ask this, what is the norm for using a compressor with a console that has a patchbay. i understand you use inserts, but can you use an aux?? in other studios ive seen they had a compressor tied into the patchbay.. they used that compressor on several different instruments at once... i cant remember there signal flow.....
Old 27th August 2008

for some reason, i just forgot how compressors are used on the console.. from what i see now, i just can use one compressor for each instrument. Now an outboard reverb is used through the aux. and can be used for many instuments right???
Old 27th August 2008
Quote:
let me ask this, what is the norm for using a compressor with a console that has a patchbay. i understand you use inserts, but can you use an aux?? in other studios ive seen they had a compressor tied into the patchbay.. they used that compressor on several different instruments at once... i cant remember there signal flow.....
NO Norm, use it where you need it.....Where do you need it? There are NO rules here, use compression when things need to be compressed, like others have mentioned. Perhaps you want to keep a vocal monitor from blowing up with a Dynamic singer you "cups the mike for mad bass", well you PUT A LIMITER or COMPRESSOR on the signal, after the AUX output to that monitor, and compress his/her peak transients. No need to use it elsewhere, as its serving a purpose there.

You can use parallel compression by patching out of an AUX [tied to ALL channels] into the PATCH points of the compressor, and then return the compressors outputs to another pair of channels, or the AUX return, wherever. Thats an example or parallel compression where the dry tracks are left alone as they feed the stereo buss of the console.
Old 27th August 2008
Quote:
for some reason, i just forgot how compressors are used on the console.. from what i see now, i just can use one compressor for each instrument. Now an outboard reverb is used through the aux. and can be used for many instuments right???

Ya, AUX=Sharing Effects. AUX's [sends] are another way to buss something [or ways to derive signal from the channels elsewhere]

Typically, "Dynamic Processors" [compressors, gates, expanders] as well as "Spectral Processors" [EQ, filters, etc....] are used in a number of ways, but commonly used on the INSERT PATCH POINTS OF THE INPUT CHANNELS OR AFTER MIC PRE OUTS, [or DA converters for mixing] so as to control the individual tracks behavior. You only need compressors for some stuff, you don't need these things for every channel on the console. It might be nice, but no, you don't need more compression. You can use this stuff anyway it sounds good to you. If you need 24 compressors, don't let me tell you otherwise.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search