The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Weird r-121 experience question
Old 27th February 2003
Gear Head

Weird r-121 experience question

I rented a 121 to try as a front of kit mic and I had it set up about 4 feet from the kit, about mid way between top of kick and bottom of tom and angled down. I had it running thru an API 312, running pretty hot I must say. When I listened to playback, I got a whistling sound when I was hitting my ride cymbal, almost like I was hitting some resonance. When I changed the postion of the mic, this dissapeared and it sounded more normal. What could possibly explain the whistling. Was it the ribbon streching or the position of the mic, the preamp, a combination of the two. I hope I didn't screw up the mic. It sounded great when I moved it, but I just wanted to make sure I didn't somehow alter the ribbon or ruin the mic in some way. This is obviously my first experience with a ribbon and I am paranoid about the fragility of the mic. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
Old 27th February 2003
There is only one

dont be paranoid about the fragility of a royer r121... i stick it right up on half stacks set to 11. i think about 2' out on kick. it might of been picking up something weird from the ride... who knows without being there and hearing it, but at 4' out... you are likely to be picking up a good deal of the set as well. you could 'tunnel' the mic to get mostly kick from it that far away, im betting putting a blanket on a mic stand so it ran across the path from the ride to the mic woulda changed that 'whistle' you heard as well. rides also have an unbelievable amount of constant vibrational energy when being played, it might of been something on the set that was 'humming' as well. hell, my ride rattles something that i have yet to find. its not the ride itself, i cant find it on the stand its on... nowhere except that its there.
Old 27th February 2003
Gear Nut

I have been using a R121 at 16 to 24" at FOK for the past couple of months with great results. Pop filter in front just for some extra protection and a throw rug tunnel around the kick, so I'm not getting much in the mic except the kick. I'll let the room mics get the bleed and blend... no whistles here
Old 28th February 2003
member no 666

You very well may have found a spot where several reflections from the walls/floor focused when you hit the ride cymbal... seeing as moving the mic eliminated the problem... I'd say it's not that big a deal [odd, certainly... but obviously fixable]
Old 3rd March 2003
Gear Guru

harmonics baby.......yeah.....work it......is it in the same key as the song?

peace john
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear