The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
500 series Lunchbox Advice
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

500 series Lunchbox Advice

Hello! I recently invested in a 6 slot Api Lunchbox for 500 series units. I am new to the 500 series world, and right now i am using a UA solo 61 and a Focusrite ISA one for my main pre amps. Any suggestions on which PRe amps i should purchase first for the lunchbox that would compliment what i already have. I am mainly interested in recording vocals, acoustic and electric guitars, bass guitars, and drums. If you want to check out my music, you can go to MySpace.com - Ian Bryn - HUNTINGTON STATION, US - Acoustic / Indie / Grunge - www.myspace.com/ianbryn . Thanks for the Help!

Peace
Ian
Old 31st August 2008
Two recommendations come to mind... it seems you're picking up classic sounds - Universal Audio, Focusrite, and that's seldom a mistake from a production standpoint. So do yourself a favor and pick up Avedis MA5's and API 512c's eventually. I have two of each, and they are my go-to channels for just about everything. The Avedis is essentially a Neve 1073 pre minus the eq, and it sounds fantastically Neve. Warm, big, saturated, and it can be driven different ways with in/out controls. The API is API. Nothing else sounds - in my opinion - very close to an API at all. They are faster, allow transients through in a very musical way, they can be punchy, but they are still smooth sounding. Between those four sounds, you really have everything you'll probably ever need.

Welcome to the form factor 500 series! I hope you enjoy your stay.

Any questions about my recommendation, feel free to PM me, ok? Cheers, and remember: YOU are necessary to make great music... great gear, while helpful, is almost always optional.

Brad
Old 31st August 2008
Gear Addict

lunchbox...500 series modules..

Wise investment imo!! I too just got my 6B 3 weeks back and could only get one module for now and got a API 512c which i am over the moon with.!!
Old 31st August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrlk View Post
The API is API. Nothing else sounds - in my opinion - very close to an API at all. They are faster, allow transients through in a very musical way, they can be punchy, but they are still smooth sounding.
Brad
That's a good description. Sometimes they almost get pigeon holed into the punchy catogory, which they are, but on the right source, like Agtr, they have a sweet warm sound to me. Not in the traditional tube sense, but in their own unique way.

Also, P1, Biz, I wish I had a pair of each.

And yes, also the MA5 even if I've never heard it.

And then there's all the other great 500 pres.
Old 31st August 2008
Gear Maniac

I happen to love the A-Designs Blue on just about anything, but especially acoustic guitars, snare, and some vocals. It has a lovely sparkle that shines on many sources, without sounding brittle or harsh ever. I also love the DI on it for laying down direct guitars or guitars intended for amp sims. Good luck and welcome to the cult, uh, i mean club heh great investment.
Old 3rd September 2008
500 series nutjob

congrats and welcome to the 500 format club!

the first pre i would suggest id the A-Design P-1, a very versatile pre, get the most use here.
i would look at a few of the EM-COLORS, but i am also a big fan of the EM-BLUE.
for the ''N'' vibe the Avedis MA% hits a big home run, and for something that is considered a bit more modern or HI-FI version, the Great River MP-500NV.
the buzz elixir would be one to look at.
another one i would call a must would be the LaChapell 583s not as colored as the U.A. stuff, just wright IMHV.
also if you want something with very little color ( i like have some of these type pres on hand ), the MINT JULEP is one and another one i am loving is the new ShinyBox Si pre.
get with a rep that will let you audition a few!
these are all awesome PRES!!!!
it will be hard to make a bad choice: )~
heh
Old 3rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
congrats and welcome to the 500 format club!

the first pre i would suggest id the A-Design P-1, a very versatile pre, get the most use here.
i would look at a few of the EM-COLORS, but i am also a big fan of the EM-BLUE.
for the ''N'' vibe the Avedis MA% hits a big home run, and for something that is considered a bit more modern or HI-FI version, the Great River MP-500NV.
the buzz elixir would be one to look at.
another one i would call a must would be the LaChapell 583s not as colored as the U.A. stuff, just wright IMHV.
also if you want something with very little color ( i like have some of these type pres on hand ), the MINT JULEP is one and another one i am loving is the new ShinyBox Si pre.
get with a rep that will let you audition a few!
these are all awesome PRES!!!!
it will be hard to make a bad choice: )~
heh
Geez pan, he's only got a 6 slot box, not 26. LOL. They are addicting aren't they?
Old 3rd September 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Zero View Post
Geez pan, he's only got a 6 slot box, not 26. LOL. They are addicting aren't they?
heh
well he needs a rack or a pair of lunchboxs!
LOL
YES very ADDICTING aren't they: )~
just try to give him some thoughts on what some of each one strong points and or vibe: )~
Old 3rd September 2008
Lives for gear

wow, thanks so much for all the input! I am psyched that you all think i made a wise investment. I definitely learned a lot from just reading all the other posts about the 500 series. So really, thanks for persuading me.... and thanks again for all the recommendations. They are very helpful.

I had someone suggest the Roll Music "Tubule". has anyone ever used one of those?
Old 3rd September 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbryn11 View Post
wow, thanks so much for all the input! I am psyched that you all think i made a wise investment. I definitely learned a lot from just reading all the other posts about the 500 series. So really, thanks for persuading me.... and thanks again for all the recommendations. They are very helpful.

I had someone suggest the Roll Music "Tubule". has anyone ever used one of those?
i have not had a chance to yet: (~
Old 3rd September 2008
Lives for gear

I think right now i am leaning towards an MA5 . I also remember reading alot of good comments about the shadow hills mono gamma. What do you guys think about that one?

I heard that it draws more power than other units and can cause i problem with the power supply shutting off when racked with other 500 modules. Any one experience problems like this?

Thanks
IAn
Old 3rd September 2008
Can't answer for the Shadow Hills power deal, but I can say that's a great sounding pre. If I was going for my first though, it wouldn't be my choice.

If I could only have one 500 series, it would be either MA5 or 512c, with the P1 following up as a close 3rd. *But see... I'd slightly (and I mean slightly) prefer the sound of the larger Pacifica over the P1, which is probably why I currently own neither because I don't need 2 more channels right now with what I've got.

Brad
Old 3rd September 2008
Gear Guru

Classic vintage sounds come from API 512c and A Designs P-1s, however the MA5 is really sweet and great, i find it not so vintage but more in the modern scale, every pre has its pros and cons, the MA5 has a super great edge but has a mid high turn off but a great round warm bass to it.
If i could have only one pre, API all the way.
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

i just tried to order an Ma5 and they are on backorder for about 4 weeks..... I guess they must be pretty good.....
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

I orderd mine more than 2 month ago... got them yesterday (but could have had them last week if I didn't add a mic to the order at the last min... anyway, they indeed are that good, very much worth the wait !!!!
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
Classic vintage sounds come from API 512c and A Designs P-1s, however the MA5 is really sweet and great, i find it not so vintage but more in the modern scale, every pre has its pros and cons, the MA5 has a super great edge but has a mid high turn off and a great round warm bass to it.
If i could have only one pre, API all the way.
Old 9th September 2008
Lives for gear

yo! Just letting everybody know that acquired an MA5 from a friend, and must say it is by far the sweetest sounding preamp i have ever heard. (Bear in mind i have not used many.....) I recorded a few Acoustic guitar tracks just to check it out and am overjoyed with the warmth and clarity of the sound. very nice to listen to. Thanks for all the help!

IAn
Old 12th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
A few people have used them, but they haven't gotten into too many hands just yet. It's still very new. If you want to talk to somebody who has heard them (besides me), I'd suggest calling up one of our dealers. I've heard Fletcher and Sean at Mercenary, and Warrent at Front End Audio say very good things about the sound of the Tubule. There are a few people in the process of reviewing it, but they're not done yet so they haven't commented publicly. I think we'll start hearing from the early adopters in the near future. Since it's not the cheapest module out there, I realize there might be some hesitation to shell out for it until you've heard some kind of commentary on how it sounds. Obviously I don't expect you to take my word for it when I say it sounds good.
Old 13th September 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
A few people have used them, but they haven't gotten into too many hands just yet. It's still very new. If you want to talk to somebody who has heard them (besides me), I'd suggest calling up one of our dealers. I've heard Fletcher and Sean at Mercenary, and Warrent at Front End Audio say very good things about the sound of the Tubule. There are a few people in the process of reviewing it, but they're not done yet so they haven't commented publicly. I think we'll start hearing from the early adopters in the near future. Since it's not the cheapest module out there, I realize there might be some hesitation to shell out for it until you've heard some kind of commentary on how it sounds. Obviously I don't expect you to take my word for it when I say it sounds good.
We're looking forward to getting them in our hands as well.
Old 14th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello! I recently invested in a 6 slot Api Lunchbox for 500 series units. I am new to the 500 series world, and right now i am using a UA solo 61 and a Focusrite ISA one for my main pre amps. Any suggestions on which PRe amps i should purchase first for the lunchbox that would compliment what i already have. I am mainly interested in recording vocals, acoustic and electric guitars, bass guitars, and drums. If you want to check out my music, you can go to MySpace.com - Ian Bryn - HUNTINGTON STATION, US - Acoustic / Indie / Grunge - www.myspace.com/ianbryn . Thanks for the Help!

Peace
Ian
start with a pair of 512'c and a pair of 550a's you'll never regret it
Old 14th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Laborer View Post
That's a good description. Sometimes they almost get pigeon holed into the punchy catogory, which they are, but on the right source, like Agtr, they have a sweet warm sound to me. Not in the traditional tube sense, but in their own unique way.
I completely agree with you about the whole pigeon holed thing with API. People tend to say "punchy, punchy, punchy," but they're not unless you hit them hard. They do not have a lot of low mids (let alone bass) compared to other pres, but in a mix, you don't WANT tons of low mids or bass because you just end up having to hi-pass it to avoid the muddy muck yuck.

As for the Biz... man, I really liked that pre, but I had to part with it to get my first MA5. The Biz SLAMS on electric guitars and overheads - similar to the way API's do, in my opinion, with slightly softer and smoother response in the mids, but like the 512c, it didn't have that much in the low end or low mids at all for me, so in the end, having two 512c's, I felt I would stick with them and add one MA5 - which eventually ended up with two MA5's. I've got no regrets... but man, that Purple is definitely a sweet sound. It just depends on the sounds you typically go for, and for me, I had to prioritize. =)

This said... as for the P1, I'd skip it, but ONLY to get a Pacifica! I just love that extra bit of girth in the low end of the Pacifica vs. the P1.

Like Tone Laborer, it's a labor of love to make good music and hear sounds grow as each track is laid down. And with so many options - certainly, in the 500 series format, which I will never NOT recommend to anyone - it's getting easier and easier to dial in things that are just "right" to what we want to hear. =)

Welcome to the 500 world, brother, and God bless - B
Old 14th September 2008
Post Script... I have to say that everytime I see that Pan60 guy, I'm like, "Oh great... not that guy again!" He gets to try out like 20 great pieces a day, talk with the actual designers of those pieces, BUY those pieces, AND somehow still has a wife that loves him!

I mean... am I the only guy who gets jealous of him or what!? =)

*But in all honesty, the fact that we have working COMPUTERS, the INTERNET, AND the finances and time to enjoy making music makes us some of the most fortunate and blessed people on the earth... so I really can't complain AT ALL. I just love Pan60 and enjoy his reviews, so I thought I'd pick on the guy. =)

Cheers, oh wise and real Pan60.
Old 15th September 2008
500 series nutjob

you should see what i have in here now: )~
hehhehhehheh
Old 15th September 2008
PantheMan60... maybe you should invite us all OVER!!! =)
Old 16th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
Dude, i believe you..... I am sure they sound really good...... I am sure most of the 500 pres sound really good, but in different ways.... There are certainly a lot of possibilities, and i cant afford them all.... Just trying to find the right one.
Old 17th September 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrlk View Post
PantheMan60... maybe you should invite us all OVER!!! =)
it is hectic but i love getting to play with some of this stuff!

what sucks is when you have to send it back home, or when you wife see the C.C. bill.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search