Diezel amps?

anyone used/heard these things?
http://www.diezel.ch/
I've got one on order to check out.
should be here in a couple weeks.
Old 27th February 2003
Lives for gear

Mike,

You will be totally happy. These amps are extremely versitile, and truly a four channel amp where every channel sounds great and extremely different. The only more versitile tube amp I know of is a boutique one by Sal Trentino to the tune of 7k and the new Diezel model, called "Herbert" which features only 3 channels but an extensive eq circuit that among other things makes it one of the world's most powerful and versitile guitar amplifiers! Peter Diezel is also one of the nicest guys I've ever talked to about guitar gear. You're one lucky guy if youre getting a Diezel!

Ben
Old 27th February 2003
Lives for gear

yup! that's what I hear.
I can't wait to get it.
YAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 1st March 2003
Lives for gear

so tell me more about Sal Trentino and his amps. sounds interesting.
website?
Old 1st March 2003
Lives for gear

Well both dudes from Pearl Jam now use them exclusively. Neil Young also has used his amps for years. He is famous for his work as a tech, and less so as an amp creator. His amps are reportedly capable of really doing everything you could imagine. I'd hope so, because they cost seven thousand dollars! Check on Harmony Central's amp forum. Scan for the Trentino threads. There are a few reviews.
Old 1st March 2003
Fart King Hell!!!!!

$7k!!!!

tutt
Old 1st March 2003
Lives for gear

You won't see me spending more than 2.5k on any amp for keeps. I just get too cool a sound from my 900$ and under amps. One amp I have that records like a dream is a Gallien Krueger SS amp from the 80s. For nasty heavy tones, that thing is great. It's just totally gnarly. ;-)
Old 4th March 2003
Here for the gear

Gallien Kruegers suck ass. Even Crates and Line 6's sound better. There are some good amps that can be bought for not to much money, none of which are solid state. I suggest checking out HiWatt, Laney, Fender Bassman's, even the old Epiphones are pretty cool.

Listen to a Gallien Krueger along side a quality guitar amp such as Mesa Boogie, Soldano, Orange, or Bogner and you will understand what a pile of crap a Gallien Krueger is.

dfegad
Gallien Krueger
Old 4th March 2003
Lives for gear

I feel like I'm qualified to know what I'm talking about as I've owned 3 Mesa Boogies, 2 Bogners, a Bad Cat Hot Cat, 2 Riveras, a 1971 Hiwatt 200, and a rack rig with a Langner DCP-1 (which you probably haven't even heard of but is a very rare 'holy grail' guitar preamp).

Some of those were great amps. The Mesa Boogies, in my opinion, were over-rated pieces of crap. They sounded real cool in the room, but up close do not sound all that hot. And their speaker grille is wax coated to take out the high end, which messes with the natural sound of the amp.

Soldanos are great amps, but a bit bright for my tastes. I've never owned one, but if someone said "Here, have an SLO" I wouldn't say no.

My Bogners were simply awesome and sounded absolutely terrific. Same problem recording them as the boogie, but not as bad. Too harmonically rich and fat. That's a great sound in the room, but not on tape, to my ear. There have only been a few instances where I like the sound of a bogner with a mic in front of it. BTW- They don't fit in a mix live either.

In any case, I'd be surprised if you've played the Gallien Krueger model I have. Alex Lifeson used a rack of them in the 80s, and though his tone is very strange, it is definitely unique. The amp is loud as hell, has a ton of gain, has a great built in chorus and echo effect that sounds very cool, sustains like crazy and has terrific harmonic feedback. It also works terrifically as a bass amp (ask Greenday's bass player, who has used this or a similar amp as his secret weapon for tracking bass). Mic'ing it up, it sounds very similar to how it sounds in the room. It's also like 2 pounds. And it costs 150$

I used to give the term 'Gear Slut' new meaning for guitar gear. I've played every amp you can possibly imagine, with the exception of trainwreck, dumble, and some very rare stuff like hi-mu. Is my GK the best guitar amp in the world? Far from it. Does it give a great nasty and chunky guitar tone when I want one? You bet. That amp will easily keep up with a Dual Rectifier, and then some (in my opinion). And it just LOOKS so damned ugly, which makes it rock that much more.

So, I like my amp. It's not my only amp. I have a Top Hat and a Rivera also. I know what a good amp is supposed to sound like. The GK has "it" for certain sounds. If you'd stop being a tube snob and name dropper, maybe you'll find a cool cheap amp that does something no other one does too.
Old 5th March 2003
Here for the gear

I had a Gallien Krueger 250RL many years ago and liked it's fuzzy, Peavy on steriods kind of sound for about three months, but then I bought a bluesman and went through an Ibanez Tube Screamer and the dirty tone just killed the Gallien Krueger. I kept it for a couple years because the clean tone was ok. Nothing personal, I just think it sounded like overprocessed poop. If you like it, that's great, because you can probably get one for 100 bucks at your local pawn shop.

Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

I have a hard time taking the comments seriously of anyone who compares the distortion of a 250RL and a bluesman/tube screamer. The two are about as different as different can be. Also, it's quite possible your amp was faulty. I don't see any line of comparison between my 250RL and a peavey. They are not the best amps in the world, but yours is the first real negative review I've seen.
Old 5th March 2003
Here for the gear

Mike,

Dan Spitz here.

Ask Peter Diezel in Germany to make you the NEW "Spitz" Diezel VH-4 we just finished Beta Testing, here in the recording studio.

It's blueprinted over in Germany.

As you can well imagine I've done Beta with every company there is. Yes Bogner and I also.

Nothing, I'll repeat. Nothing is in this ballpark for recording.

It is 4 amplifiers in one chassis. Not channels. Amplifiers. It is a pure human work of art inside.

'Been using 2 of them for the last 6 months on our new SuperGroup project Solely.

Site just went up, Swamped.

www.spitzcity.com

The micing and pre set up is in my Digital Recording Forum:

Spects of Spitz Diezel VH-4:

Spitz Model Diezel:

Channel one:
Original Vintage Twin

Channeel Two:
Matchless

Channel Three:
Uh, better Crunch than any Marshall, Bogner, Boogie, blah, blab.....
It's own Original Sound<<<<<

Channel 4:
Spitz Channel Custom:
Plexi Exact

You can ask me questions here on Jules' boards as well.
This place Rocks!!!! I been here sucking your brains for Long Time.

Hey Jules<< Sup,
Over and Out,
Spitz
"The ONLY Four time Grammy Nominated,
Swiss Certified Watchmaker in the World"
Old 6th March 2003
Yo Dan!

Mike T let us know what you think of it when it gets there!

Old 6th March 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel
Mike,

Dan Spitz here.

Ask Peter Diezel in Germany to make you the NEW "Spitz" Diezel VH-4 we just finished Beta Testing, here in the recording studio.

Channel one:
Original Vintage Twin

Channeel Two:
Matchless

Channel Three:
Uh, better Crunch than any Marshall, Bogner, Boogie, blah, blab.....
It's own Original Sound<<<<<

Channel 4:
Spitz Channel Custom:
Plexi Exact

Spitz
This sounds nuts! I don't want to hear any more or I will go into GAS mode...
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

hey Dan wassup.
WTF! why didn't I wait!
I don't think I'll be able to wait for your model unfortunately...FUCK!
how long have you been working on this amp?
up until a month ago I didn't have a clue as to what these amps did now you've got a Spitz model coming out? WOW! kick ass brother.
Is your new record ALL Diezel?
what other amps are you using?
I'm using a Bogner Ecstasy with a Dual Rec. I'm liking it now but I have a feeling the Diezel with kill 'em all.
and now your model? ahh fuck.
another 5g's I gotta save up...
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

Mike,

I wouldn't lose sleep over Dan's Diezel. I hang out on a forum Peter Diezel posts on almost daily, and I don't think that a Diezel "Dan Spitz" model isn't going into production with any sort of real marketing in mind. Peter, who's about the nicest guy you'll ever talk to, can custom voice any channel on your VH-4 the way you want it. He'll do it for anybody, and from what I understand, he won't charge you an arm and a leg. If you find any tonal lust after recieving you VH-4, send it to Peter and tell him what you wish it would do. I'm sure Dan's amp is absolutely incredible, but the way the VH-4 is already laid out is equally incredible- they just do probably three or four things differently. I'd take the stock VH-4 over what Dan has mentioned, actually.

BTW- From what I've experienced, you'll be selling the Ecstacy and the Dual Rec in the not too distant future. The Diezel I played ripped both of those amps apart- but I was never a huge fan of either of them to begin with. I don't like how Mesa Boogies track, and I think the Bogner is a bit too thick and woody for my tastes. I've always felt like the Ecstacy sounded like it had a blanket over it's speakers.

FWIW- If you are getting at all antsy over the thought of the second Diezel, look over the second VH-4 and head straight to Herbert land. That amp is the end all be all multi-channel high gain amp as far as most of the guitar gear sluts are concerned. That said, I think the Bad Cat Hot Cat is the coolest modern High Gain amp I've heard. They have a 100W model now which will rip your guts out.

In any case, good luck and I hope you are happy with the new amp!
Old 7th March 2003
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Tholen
hey Dan wassup.
WTF! why didn't I wait!
I don't think I'll be able to wait for your model unfortunately...FUCK!
how long have you been working on this amp?
up until a month ago I didn't have a clue as to what these amps did now you've got a Spitz model coming out? WOW! kick ass brother.
Is your new record ALL Diezel?
what other amps are you using?
I'm using a Bogner Ecstasy with a Dual Rec. I'm liking it now but I have a feeling the Diezel with kill 'em all.
and now your model? ahh fuck.
another 5g's I gotta save up...
Hey Mike,

No reason to wait. Peter can mod any stock one he sends you to my specs later. Check out the stock one first. These amps are hand built, he has no sales force or ad campaign for anyone. Human works of art.

We have been back and forth for about 6 months now on this amp.

I don't know who Angel is, or where his credentials in Guitar Sounds lie, but most of his comments are quite incorrect. I think my past experiences speak for themselves in the Tone department..

The stock VH-4 diezels are Awsome. But nothing like the moded one I use. In fact I had Diezel send a stock one to my bud Mark Trumonte from Creed, it then ended up here at the studio because he said it was thin. Yep, sounded nothing like mine, no balls. Hence the blueprinting

Channel four of a stock Diezel is completely Ripped out and replaced by a Custom Peter Diezel / Dan Spitz Plexi channel. So it is not just tweaks going on here.

The new record (uh, CD's nowadays LOL) is ALL and ONLY the Diezels. I'm averaging 30-40 tracks of guitars this time.

As far as you never hearing about Diezel Amps:
Haaaaa Haaaaa ......
No one heard of Rhinhold Bogner when I did the same with him years ago.
Try the last two Korn CD's, Tool CD's, Smashing Pumkins, etc.... All Diezel.

Look at Korns touring racks. Diezel<<

We like to keep innovative things Hush, Hush.........

Best of Luck on the best 5G's spent. I think there is a 6 month waiting list too.

Oh yeah, mic it up with the Viper<<<<<<<<< MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!

Over and Out,
Spitz
www.spitzcity.com
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

Dan,

Which comments of mine about guitar sounds do you find inaccurate? You have massive credentials and I am a big fan of your playing, and while I certainly don't have your track record, I think I have played more amps than the average joe has played.

I've owned a pre-production Bogner, 3 Mesas, a Bad Cat Hot Cat, Rivera, VHT Ultralead, Langner, etc. - and auditioned an even longer list of things like CAE, Diezel, THD, etc.

Having played the amps we are discussing, and having a set of ears gives me the right to give my opinion. These are the same criterion that allow you to post your opinion. Your track record, or my track record has nothing to with it. Sure, your opinion will carry more weight, but in no way will it make mine innacurate.

I'm sure your Diezel is absolutely phenomenal for what you do, but saying a stock Diezel is thin is a discredit to Peter. I'd love to hear yours, and I'll definitely buy your CD when it comes out. Especially since you're using a Vipre ;-)

In any case, I don't think my opinion should be beat on just because I don't have your discography. I'm sure you didn't mean to come across that way, but I viewed that part of your post as rather hostile, wheras I don't think I posted anything with a real attitude. By the way, correct me if I'm wrong and Peter/Uwe plan to start advertizing the Spitz VH-4.
Old 7th March 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

I think the guitar sound on the last Tool CD blows chunks. Maybe it was the mix, but I doubt it.
Old 8th March 2003
Lives for gear

Jax, you know, I had a weird listening experience with that album. For about a half of year it was one of the only CD's I listened to (don't ask), but seeing them live actually turned me off to the band (I know a lot of people have just the opposite reaction) and I feel like there is a lot of crap on that album. When I want to listen to minimalist stuff that builds and builds, I like some of the bands that specialize in that more (God Speed You Black Emporer, etc. etc.). For Tool, I like it when they write 'songs' more, and drag things out less. Something about Lateralus just seems sort of 'fake.' Like on the last Dream Theater CD, 6 Degrees of Inner Turbulence, I feel like Dream Theater had figured out what the "Dream Theater" sound was and then just spent two discs hammering it into the ground. Both of those bands (who are/were two of my favorites) sound almost like tribute bands to themselves. I don't know if I have the words to describe what I mean, but neither album feels super authentic to me. And in Tool's case, that's what I liked them for.

As for the tone of Lateralus, I have to agree that it's not my favorite. Great dynamics though, you have to give them that.
Old 8th March 2003
Lives for gear

Hey Dan, I don't have a Vipre.

will a Telefunken V76s or V72s work?
mostly I use a Helios pre for Heavy guitar duties.
I usually use a Coles 4038 and some other dynamic-421,57,d12e.

So what forum does Peter hang out in?
Old 8th March 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

IMO, the last band to do prog. metal right was Voivod. Their last good album was Nothingface, and Dimension Hatross was something special, also. I've never even heard Dream Theater as far as I know, and I don't go out seeking prog. metal at all. Just keeping it simple, what sounds good is good. Tool is sounding a little too self-impressed by how they can shape stuff around Danny Carey's (I think that's his name) polyrhythmic drumming. It gets boring fast, and I agree Tool is at its best when just rocking in more or less straight ahead songs. It's not that their progressive stuff isn't interesting or challenging, it is. But it sounds like math rock and mental masturbation after a few passes. Tool's better off being more mysterious and dark than cold and intellectual.
Old 8th March 2003
There is only one

tool is passe... how boring can you get putting out not just the same freakin album over and over but basically the same damn song? oh yeah... ac/dc did that too. but ac/dc's guitars sound WAY better.
Old 8th March 2003
Lives for gear

Wow, some folks who actually dare to say you can't make an award winning chocolate mousse from TOOL's turds... I was starting to think I was the only one. BTW, Dream Theater more or less was the band that defined modern prog metal, after Fates Warning, Queensrhyche, etc. I used to be a prog dork in high school. ;-)

Mike,
www.harmony-central.com is where he and a variety of other amp makers post. Z. Vex, Doug Roccaforte, Zwengel, and guys from THD and other companies post there just like Manley, Apogee post here.
Old 8th March 2003
Lives for gear

thanks for the link...
sTool blows.
Old 8th March 2003
Lives for gear

Yep, after listening to one of thier records, it no wonder " why they just can't be SOBER.."
Old 9th March 2003
Here for the gear

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mike Tholen
[B]Hey Dan, I don't have a Vipre.
will a Telefunken V76s or V72s work?
mostly I use a Helios pre for Heavy guitar duties.
I usually use a Coles 4038 and some other dynamic-421,57,d12e.

Hey Mike,

Your a Sicker Puppy than me.

V76'S YOU DOGG!!!!!!!<<<<<<

and Helios Rocks! Got some here for the Drum tracking. Noizy little .......s

My standard mic setup is a 57 and a Senh. 409. Others accompany depending upon creative sounds. Tele/Elux 247, Corby 87, Stereo Royer, B&K wow<<.

Coles to dark for me into digital. But love 'em.

Any diezel you get will suffice. I alway's reach for Original Sounds<<<<<<<<
Many unique sounds can be had with this head.

Tool, like it or not is Unique. Did you ever think Maynard might actually WANT it to sound that way?

Over and Out,
Spitz
www.spitzcity.com
Old 9th March 2003
Here for the gear

Angel,

Relax, I love You<<<<<<<<

"We are GearSlutz. Originality and Compulsive dissorders intact. We charge forward Persuing the never ending sound in the back of our brains."

My Sarcastic Sense of humour is now noted, and logged.

Over and Out,
Spitz
www.spitzcity.com
Old 9th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel
Tool, like it or not is Unique. Did you ever think Maynard might actually WANT it to sound that way?

[/B]
The thought had crossed my mind....

When is the record due out? So far you have members of three of my most listened to bands from high school, I gotta check this out.
Old 19th March 2003
Lives for gear

well , I got my Diezel. HOLY FUCK...truely inspiring, forgiving, punchy as hell, tighter than a gnats ass...and so on.
you just don't know how great sounding this amp is until you hear it.
I mic'ed it with a Coles 4038 through a 1073 and off to TAPE.
combined with a few rectifier trax and you've got hell on earth.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear