The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Favorite Snare Mic Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd March 2005
Gear Maniac

Favorite Snare Mic

So hey, what mics do you guys (and ladies) like for snare (besides ye olde SM57) I heard the Beyer M201 is cool, but they are hard to find.
Old 23rd March 2005
Lives for gear

I had the chance to compare the SM 57 with the 201. We recorded some tracks with each of them. Since that I've been looking for a 201 like crazy. The Beyer sounded much, much bigger and meaty than the 57. I would say that it's perfect for balads. However, for rock the 57 was the right choice.
So, considering the price for a Beyer 201, I can say, get both of them.

¡Insomnio no duerme nunca!
Old 23rd March 2005
Lives for gear

i have been using one or a combination of the following lately:
shure sm-57
beyer m-201
josephson e-22s
joshua
Old 23rd March 2005
Lives for gear

I've been using a Sennheiser 421-u5 lately. I love it compaired to a sm57 ,plus I get a low cut filter built into the mic if I need to take out some of the proximity effect.
I also use a AKG 414 (P48 version) as a bottom mic, but keep it about a foot away and pointed at the shell. Sometimes that mic alone ends up as "the" snare mic.

ERic
Old 23rd March 2005
Lives for gear
Neumann KM-84.
can't beat it (no pun)
Old 23rd March 2005
Gear Head

Another thumbs-up for the KM-84...
Old 23rd March 2005
Haven't tried the KM84 or KM86, I won't put mine near the sticks but I'm sure they sound great in that application. I really enjoy the sound of the Sennheiser e604 (the stubby little dynamic with the built on clip). It's very clear and 'hi-fi' for a dynamic. Much nicer sound than the 57 or 421 IMO.
Old 23rd March 2005
Gear Maniac

At the moment I'm enjoying the Neumann KMS 105 through Chandler TG2
Old 23rd March 2005
Gear Nut

favorite dynamic - shure 545
favorite condenser - TLM170

i A-B'd my oktava mc012 with some KM84's on cymbals and toms, and got very very similar results from each. much more so than i would have guessed. the 84's were slightly warmer and smoother in the highs. there was a more critical difference in the OH use, the toms sounds were so close as to be interchangable. i would suspect it could do a similar thing on snare and not be as big a loss should it take a hit!
Old 23rd March 2005
Gear Guru

I really like the ATM 23HE.
Old 23rd March 2005
Lives for gear

I guess a simple Km184 doesn't work like the KM84?

btw I'd be affraid of the SPL for that Km84. Did you ever have any porblems with that @ William?
Old 23rd March 2005
Lives for gear

Audix i5.. Meaty like a 57 with a condenser top end.
Old 23rd March 2005
Gear Maniac

A KMi85 with SM57 works great and give presence to it.

M.
Old 23rd March 2005
Lives for gear

Calrec 1051c or the beyr m201 also I like m201s as overheads when Im not digging the beyer m160s.
Old 23rd March 2005
Lives for gear

Another vote for the Beyer M201, sometimes the 57 sounds 'better' when setting up but I pratically always end up with the Beyer. A great balance between clarity and smoothness, also takes EQ really well and captures the hat in a useful way.
It's also one of my fave acoustic guitar mics.
BTW, M201s are easily available on German e-bay.

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Old 23rd March 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studjo
I guess a simple Km184 doesn't work like the KM84?
Right. It's much brighter and has a much hotter output.

Depending on the drum and what sort of mic will flatter the way it sounds within a particular musical context, I really like the Shure KSM141, Beyer M201, Neumann KM84, Neumann KM86, AT 4050, Sennheiser MD504, Shure SM98, Shure SM77, and Sony C38B. I have also at certain times had good luck with the AKG D112, Neumann U87, and Stapes mics. My favorite these days when it works is the KSM 141, as it never benefits from a bottom snare mic. Most of the other mics usually benefit from a bottom mic, in which case I usually like the Sennheiser MD421, Sennheiser, MD504, Shure SM77, or Audix D4.

The Beyer M201s are easily available. I purchased mine from Full Compass a few years ago and they've been very pleasant to deal with over the years. As far as I know, they're still a Beyerdynamic dealer.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 23rd March 2005
Lives for gear

I use a 57 on top and a TLM103 on the bottom, but I'm going to try some of the other suggestions mentioned.

Rob
Old 23rd March 2005
Here for the gear

Sennheiser 431, ask massenburg.......amazing
Old 23rd March 2005
Lives for gear

SM57 with the transformer ripped out...more full range sounding with a less pinched high end. I've also had good luck with the e609s. I have yet to try the e604 though. I also had really good luck once with a Beyer Soundstar mkIII (M400 I think??).

Nathan, have you had a chance to compare the e604 and e609s on snare?

Someone mentioned the Audix i5--tell us more!

thanks,
Brad
Old 23rd March 2005
Lives for gear

I like the old C451EB + CK1, but I've used the new C451B with some HF cut EQ and I don't mind that either.
Old 23rd March 2005
Lives for gear

dynamic - MD431 or SM57 (sorry it's true).
SDC - KM84.
LDC - Blue Mouse
Old 23rd March 2005
Gear Addict

oktava mc 012 thumbsup
Old 23rd March 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan

Nathan, have you had a chance to compare the e604 and e609s on snare?

The 609 seemed a little darker, still very nice. I think that whole e6xx series has similar capsules.
Old 23rd March 2005
Lives for gear

Revox M3500.

Cheers,

bdp
Old 23rd March 2005
Lives for gear

It's nice to know about the Oktava choice. I wouldn't mind that much about a stick hit. I've used them in congas with great natural results.
Insomnio
Old 23rd March 2005
Lives for gear
The later KM-84's had a built-in 10dB capsule pad.. so they work fine.

I don't like the KM-184. At all.
Old 23rd March 2005
Shure SM81
Sennheiser 441
Old 23rd March 2005
Lives for gear

I've read Mr. Wittman's opinion about the KM 184 before but never the reason.
What you don't like about them? And, if I may, do you have the same opinion of them on acoustic guitars?
Insomnio
Old 24th March 2005
Deleted User
I've just been trying out the josephon e22, and I found that is a very good choice on snare heh

now for a pair, top and bottom

Si
Old 24th March 2005
Gear Nut

dunno about wwittman but i know what i don't like about the KM184, at least in comparison to the KM84.. they are mucho brittle and lack the warmth of the 84. way too much emphasis above 10k for a lot of things.

i did use one on an acoustic bass the other day doing that afro-cuban group. i liked it for that. i think they can work on dark sources.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search