The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
neumann m-149...worth it? Condenser Microphones
Old 6th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Turpin View Post
There are many - but one that seldom gets mentioned is the Sony C-800g

not cheap - reportedly quite worth the US$6500 or so. I wish I had one. Anybody care to compare it to the M149?
I saw the C-800g at the Manhattan guitar center. It was a used one, I think they had it for $4k.
Old 7th August 2009
Lives for gear

For vocals, I'd try various others before deciding on a 149.

Otherise its versatile, and a great room mic.
Old 7th August 2009
Gear Addict

I have two M-149's that I bought separately on ebay for around $2200 each. It takes a little patience, but a deal can be had.

Worth it? Yes. Sound wise, let's put it this way: The U-48 still gets lots of use, the pair of U-87's not so much...
Old 7th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAngel View Post
Hey all... I think I have the option to buy one of these for a fair price (around 3k) and I can afford that... but I'm wondering if it's a worthwhile buy when I could save that and put it towards a slam in the not-so-distant future. I'm looking for a great large diaphragm mic to round out my mic cabinet for use on vox, micing my steinway grand, front of kit, etc. Should I go with an m-149? If not, what else is a no-tone-compromise large diaphragm mic? A friend recommended getting an NTK and having it modded but I have a hard time believing that would get close.
3 grand seems to be the street price of used m149 in the US. For the uses you described above, you'll love it. On vocals it has beautiful detail and an almost 3-D image. On piano, it wins me over because of the 9 patterns. Not just the standards, but wide cardioid and even notches in between. I could always get a good piano sound with these sometimes by simply changing the pattern. It's an expensive work horse, but worth every penny.
Old 7th August 2009
Reg
Gear Maniac

Pearlman TM 1

I'm realy happy with the Pearlman TM 1 german tube version, again, maybe not for all source's, but when it does it does it good, and I mean real good. Well worth the try. I think Pearlman has a return policy, it's a no brainer. For the price these are out the door, hard to beat. German Tube version: $1750 .
Old 25th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMSOUND View Post
hi

well my english is not that nice (i am german)...
i heard every mike from neumann and i think the 149 is the worst mike i heard from them...
my favorite mike is the rhode classic 1 or classic 2... it works on every vocals (low or loud,male or female)..
the most newer neumanns have a compression effect on loud vocals which makes them thin and without warmth...
if you compare the old m49 and the new 149 u will hear this horrible sound of the new 149...

a very nice cheaper mike is the AKG 414 BTL 2...
this is the one with the golden face....

peace from germany

Come on , you just can´t put a rhode at the same level of an 149 , i assume your opinion comes from and uneducated ears which its ok , but there is a world of difference between the mics you recommended and the 149. hope not bean offensive since is not my intention.
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Had mine for quite a few years now and love it ...
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod7th View Post
Come on , you just can´t put a rhode at the same level of an 149 , i assume your opinion comes from and uneducated ears which its ok , but there is a world of difference between the mics you recommended and the 149. hope not bean offensive since is not my intention.
Well, I think he was making a larger point about the M49 compared to the m149. I'm with on the Rode, I'll take a m149 any day over a Rode.
Old 26th November 2009
Gear Nut

I can agree, that also for me M149 Jubilee is great for close, warm, silent vocals, but on loud vocals it is really sound like compressed and really thin. Maybe one reason is superhot output(+18db!!!), and for this mic You need to find preamp really carefully with big headrooom..Just maybe
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factorysounds View Post
and for this mic You need to find preamp really carefully with big headrooom..Just maybe
Or use an in-line pad.
Old 22nd December 2009
Here for the gear

Oh my, I signed up for this forum based on this thread. Lord help me.
I was looking for reviews of DW Fearn gear and now here I am commenting away.

I don't think you can go wrong with the M149.

For vocals, I've used 47s, 67s, 87s, the sony (model # I can't remember), ak47, m16, U95, c12VR, sm7, and a few others mentioned in this thread. I prefer the 149 to any of those that I've had the chance to use. Never had to fight with the vox in the mix with the 149 the way I had to with the other mics. The ONLY time I can recall the 149 not working was on a guy who had a very unusual voice, and we tried about a half a dozen mics on him before finding out that an old SM57 was perfect for him.

My one complaint about the 149 is that it can't handle a lot of SPL. I really wish you could mic up a rock drummer with those mics without getting distortion (although it's not necessarily BAD distortion).

Again, lord help me for signing up for an audio forum.
Old 22nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafsound View Post
Again, lord help me for signing up for an audio forum.
It's too late fella...

I do the usual line up the mics and test (level matched recordings, not only what's in their cans) and the clients usually pick the M149 through a 1073. There are a lot of things that work, for different reasons, so get the ones you like.
Old 30th April 2010
Here for the gear

Neumann M149

You know, I have several old Neumann's, including a couple of the original m49's, and I have to say the M149 has what I think is a fatal flaw. That is the cable that goes from mic to power supply. I had a client bring one in and insist on using it, even though the ones I had sounded better to my ears. The problem is the cheap bull**** connectors that the mic cable comes with. You have to use them, since the mic itself and power supply are engineered to use them, with the female part fitted into the metal casings. The connectors are so lame that you can barely get the mic on or off of them without inadvertently unscrewing the whole assembly, it caused many lost minutes of time and I even spent $100 to get it fixed after the wire twisted and broke. It STILL sucks. If I were to buy one now I would have someone wire in a couple of multi-pin XLR connectors in-line on the cable itself, leaving little one foot pigtails hanging out of the mic itself and the power supply, so the stock connectors just stay on there and never get jacked with. I mean they are CRAPPY, and this is not at all up to the traditional Neumann standard we are used to with the older mics, which I have been using every day for 25 years at my studio. Hell, old Neumann, and most older German made equipment, is completely bullet-proof, ready to last 50 years, wire and all, I know cause mine are that old. Personally, I wouldn't have a 149, and given the cost of $3000, **** that, just give me a 414 or something. George Neumann would turn over in his grave if he saw how an M149 is made. if you spend $3000 on a mic, you expect it to work perfectly for a long time, and this piece of **** won't last a week.
Old 30th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Honestly the m149 is not what i would consider a must have mic. We had a shoot out between my blue bottle and the neuman and im sorry but my bottle killed the neuman. It sounded so much more smoother, and just plain better. We were recording a fleet wood mac style female singer through a la610.

the m149 just sounded so tinny, and week, way too bright. Sorry, just my very limited experience.

I would definitely look at brauner or bock way before looking at a new neuman.
Old 30th April 2010
Gear Nut

Check out the Manley Reference Cardioid. Amazing on vocals/Voice over/ even shines on guitars. Got mine new for 2600 including shipping. Imo the best bang for your buck LDC in your budget.
Old 30th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Denton View Post
You know, I have several old Neumann's, including a couple of the original m49's, and I have to say the M149 has what I think is a fatal flaw. That is the cable that goes from mic to power supply. I had a client bring one in and insist on using it, even though the ones I had sounded better to my ears. The problem is the cheap bull**** connectors that the mic cable comes with. You have to use them, since the mic itself and power supply are engineered to use them, with the female part fitted into the metal casings. The connectors are so lame that you can barely get the mic on or off of them without inadvertently unscrewing the whole assembly, it caused many lost minutes of time and I even spent $100 to get it fixed after the wire twisted and broke. It STILL sucks. If I were to buy one now I would have someone wire in a couple of multi-pin XLR connectors in-line on the cable itself, leaving little one foot pigtails hanging out of the mic itself and the power supply, so the stock connectors just stay on there and never get jacked with. I mean they are CRAPPY, and this is not at all up to the traditional Neumann standard we are used to with the older mics, which I have been using every day for 25 years at my studio. Hell, old Neumann, and most older German made equipment, is completely bullet-proof, ready to last 50 years, wire and all, I know cause mine are that old. Personally, I wouldn't have a 149, and given the cost of $3000, **** that, just give me a 414 or something. George Neumann would turn over in his grave if he saw how an M149 is made. if you spend $3000 on a mic, you expect it to work perfectly for a long time, and this piece of **** won't last a week.
I think that's a fair criticism, unfortunately.

The mic itself, leaving the connector aside, is built pretty well, but the cable, connectors and power supply all seem less solid and durable than one would expect for a mic in this range.

It's a pity, particularly since the cost of more appropriate hardware would scarcely factor much relative to the RRP for this mic.
Old 1st May 2010
Gear Addict

I´ve a pair of 149 and I love them. Have a bunch of other LDC ´s beside including U 47 and Brauner VM 1. You can´t go wrong with it . It´s a top notch mic and very hard to beat when it comes to versatality. Voices can indeed sound sometimes a little bit over released, what I think is the reason for those Basher who don´t understand that this mike as product of it´s own and not a new release of the U 47, shat is sounding a lot more "tuby". (What I find sometimes to be a bit too much)
Those mics are great and won´t get cheaper, so don´t worry about the value.
Old 1st May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearmaniac View Post
the m149 just sounded so tinny, and week, way too bright. Sorry, just my very limited experience.
'tinny' - M149? that must be a bust mic, brighter perhaps than a U87 but I just can't see how it can be described as tinny unless it's broke...or the valve needs replacing

I don't have a 'full' mic set here, I mainly record vocals/gtr/some brass but with a selection that includes M149, AEA R84, AKG 414, Shure SM7b etc - I love my TLM103, especially for female vocals. Sometimes simple is best...

Steve
Old 1st May 2010
Gear Addict
Imo the m-149 ain't worth 3k although it can be a nice choice for certain singers. I've used several of them. I would also choose an old silver u-87 9 times out of 10 before the m-149 which is a lot more versatile mic if used with a right pre-amp. Not even to mention U-67 or M-49. Mein 2 cents
Old 1st May 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Denton View Post
You know, I have several old Neumann's, including a couple of the original m49's, and I have to say the M149 has what I think is a fatal flaw. That is the cable that goes from mic to power supply. I had a client bring one in and insist on using it, even though the ones I had sounded better to my ears. The problem is the cheap bull**** connectors that the mic cable comes with.
+1

Many times I skip using M149 especially when in hurry because of the ****ty cable & connectors. It´s a nice mic for sure but for that money I´d like it to work better with different sources.

Jaakko
Old 1st May 2010
Gear Addict

I have both mics and ended up getting another m149 last year for stereo. Its really an amazing workhorse of a mic, sounds great on everything.
Old 1st May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamk View Post
I have both mics and ended up getting another m149 last year for stereo. Its really an amazing workhorse of a mic, sounds great on everything.
thumbsup I also have two M149 (and 5 pairs of Neumann mics more) and I agree 100 %. You can get different EQ. flavours from its 9 directional patterns (go towards omni if you need more lift and towards figure 8 if you need less HF).

Juanjo
Old 22nd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAngel View Post
Hey all... I think I have the option to buy one of these for a fair price (around 3k) and I can afford that... but I'm wondering if it's a worthwhile buy when I could save that and put it towards a slam in the not-so-distant future. I'm looking for a great large diaphragm mic to round out my mic cabinet for use on vox, micing my steinway grand, front of kit, etc. Should I go with an m-149? If not, what else is a no-tone-compromise large diaphragm mic? A friend recommended getting an NTK and having it modded but I have a hard time believing that would get close.

I've owned a Rode NTK, and I currently own an Neumann M149. The Rode cannot compare, unless the modification is some how truly magical, which I doubt.

The Neumann M149 is a fantastic microphone. I don't think anyone will question that. I have a great sounding U87 and an AKG C12. I prefer the M149 above those mics, but that's my opinion. The M147 will not come close to the M149. The M149 is Neumann's flagship tube mic (currently produced) for recording close mic'ed vocals. I'm blown away each time I turn it on.
Old 22nd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Honestly the m149 is not what i would consider a must have mic. We had a shoot out between my blue bottle and the neuman and im sorry but my bottle killed the neuman. It sounded so much more smoother, and just plain better. We were recording a fleet wood mac style female singer through a la610.

Tinny and weak and way too bright? I think something was wrong with your M149. Those are not terms that come to mind with with an M149.
Old 23rd November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcollen View Post
The Neumann M149 is a fantastic microphone. SNIP The M149 is Neumann's flagship tube mic (currently produced) for recording close mic'ed vocals. I'm blown away each time I turn it on.
Many thanks for the review. I've been seriously considering one for quite some time now.
Old 23rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Shoot-out of Neumann M149 and Brauner Valvet here.
Old 24th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest View Post
To which the answer or "key" is??

Via PM, if you must, didier - but is has been more than a year now...
Old 24th November 2011
Lives for gear

Compared to 6 years ago, M149's now appear for under $3k on the second-hand market .. At those prices they're worth it as an alternative main mic .. Still a great mic on certain vocalists (not too close for belters), and still one of the better Drum Room mics ..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search