The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
neumann m-149...worth it? Condenser Microphones
Old 27th February 2003
Gear Maniac

Jon,

What do you find yourself reaching for with vocals most times? Are there 2 or 3?
Thanks
Old 27th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jon
FWIW the 147 and 149 sound nothing alike. I don't have anything nice to say about the 147. The 149 isn't a personal fave either, but it's far better than the 147 and it has value in the eyes of clients.

I agree ... the mics don't even come close in terms of sounding remotely the same. But to say that the 147 has no good qualities at all is a little harsh. It is not my favourite mic in my cabinet but not the worst either. I find it a quite usefull mic for several applications. ranging from vocals to acoustic instruments. It has a nice warm ... slightly enhanced high mid which other mics don't have. My favourite mic for recording female 'ooh / aah' backgound vocals in particular.
Old 27th February 2003
Lives for gear

Hey Chris, what's your fave R'n'B/pop female mic?

Old 27th February 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Quote:
Originally posted by C.Lambrechts
But to say that the 147 has no good qualities at all is a little harsh
Fair enough.
Old 27th February 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Quote:
Originally posted by RSMITH123
Jon,

What do you find yourself reaching for with vocals most times? Are there 2 or 3?
Thanks
Yes...the U47 and U67 are my go-to mics...and more rarely, a C800G, U87, M149, SM7, U47fet or SM57.

I haven't yet tried the Soundelux or Lawson mics.
Old 27th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Renie
Hey Chris, what's your fave R'n'B/pop female mic?

my U47 and a friends U47 long body. That same friend has 1 normal U47 / 1 U47 capsule with U48 body / and 1 longbody U47.

Sometimes I'll get them all 4 in the studio ... most of the time I'll pick mine, sometimes his longbody. They all have VF14 tubes in them.

BUT .... that doesn't mean that on occasion it can be anything else ... realy anything else.

For demo's I'll usually set up the 47 and won't bother testing mics. For recordings that are final productions ... I allways spend a lot of time testing mic's ... and signal chains. I allways try to find a combination that needs no or very little eq afterwards. Almost impossible to say up front which combination will make it ... although I often grab to the same old U47 into avalon ad2022 into Tubetech CL1-B into AD chain. (by principle I refuse to use EQ during the vocal recording process ... don't ask why .... it's me ... )

It depends on the singer / the song / the arrangement / even my mood that particular day I suppose. I've recorded female vocals with a SM58 ... a C414-B/ULS ... a Schoeps MK5 ... a 147 / U67 / U87 / U47 ...... all depending on what I thought sounded best at that time.
Old 27th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by C.Lambrechts

... although I often grab to the same old U47 into avalon ad2022 into Tubetech CL1-B into AD chain. (by principle I refuse to use EQ during the vocal recording process ... don't ask why .... it's me ... )

Chris,

Thanks for the detailed response...I was curious about the whole approach you use! One more question, have you tried the Soundelux mic's and if so what were your impressions..The CL1-B seems a real essential piece of kit...

Renie
Old 27th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Chris,

Thanks for the detailed response...I was curious about the whole approach you use! One more question, have you tried the Soundelux mic's and if so what were your impressions..The CL1-B seems a real essential piece of kit...

Renie
unfortunately I haven't had the possibility yet.

Old 28th February 2003
Gear Addict

U195 and CL1b

Quote:
Chris,

Renie
I haven't tried the higher end Soundelux microphones, but I do have a U195 and I must say it's perhaps my favourite microphone in my locker (above U87Ai, U87i, UM92.1, MT71s, AKG 414EB, TLM103, M147, AT4033, MD441, and more). It often works better than the M147 for kicks. Usually very nice for female vocalists. The bottom line is: It never sounds bad an a given source and it often comes out on top when auditioning mics for a given application.

On the CL1b I'm a little in dispair...
I love the sounds of my MC76's and RNC's, my 1969, my ELOP and my STC8 but whenever i engage my CL1b the outcome is mostly "so so....".
I am really trying to like it though, but it almost allways seems that there is another hardware pieces that does the job better....eventhough the CL1b often works wonders when tracking bass....but then again; the MC76 usually does that too.
Old 28th February 2003
Lives for gear

Re: U195 and CL1b

Quote:
Originally posted by barforama
I haven't tried the higher end Soundelux microphones, but I do have a U195 and I must say it's perhaps my favourite microphone in my locker (above U87Ai, U87i, UM92.1, MT71s, AKG 414EB, TLM103, M147, AT4033, MD441, and more). It often works better than the M147 for kicks. Usually very nice for female vocalists. The bottom line is: It never sounds bad an a given source and it often comes out on top when auditioning mics for a given application.

On the CL1b I'm a little in dispair...
I love the sounds of my MC76's and RNC's, my 1969, my ELOP and my STC8 but whenever i engage my CL1b the outcome is mostly "so so....".
I am really trying to like it though, but it almost allways seems that there is another hardware pieces that does the job better....eventhough the CL1b often works wonders when tracking bass....but then again; the MC76 usually does that too.
Hi Barforama,

What is it about the CL1-B that is disappointing you?
Have you A/Bed it against another CL1-B in case there's something up with it?
Old 28th February 2003
Gear Addict

No. I haven't tried it agains another CL1b.
I feel it's kinda like the VT737 comp. Usually not what I'm looking for...
However, on the rare occations when I like it it's because of it's 'fatness' :-)
Like on bass.
Old 28th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
No. I haven't tried it agains another CL1b.
I feel it's kinda like the VT737 comp. Usually not what I'm looking for...
However, on the rare occations when I like it it's because of it's 'fatness' :-)
Like on bass.
Subjective stuff this... ....as ever.
Old 28th February 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Re: neumann m-149...worth it?

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor

It was on my mic most over rated list along with the C12VR and Sony C800G.
What are the weak points of the C800G. I only got to use one once, but I really loved it. Is it just a matter of it being overpriced?
Old 28th February 2003
Re: U195 and CL1b

Quote:
Good Ears...
Old 28th February 2003
Re: Re: Re: neumann m-149...worth it?

Quote:
Originally posted by G-man
What are the weak points of the C800G. I only got to use one once, but I really loved it. Is it just a matter of it being overpriced?
Besides the price?

1)It is very picky with mic pre's

2)In cardiod its practically useless(so are a lot of modern mics). It opens up much more in omni, but you need an excellent room when tracking vocals in omni.

3) For a tube mic, it sounds less "round" than sizzly. It definitely has the "pop/rnb airy vocal" thing happening, but if you are recording an airy female vocalist...than your dead(i much prefer a C12 for this purpose anyway).

There are other mics i would choose over it. Here in NYC it is the stable "hiphop/rap vocal mic". Its ok, but nothing to get excited about.
Old 28th February 2003
Lives for gear

Ditto What Thrill said about the 800G

I didnt like the one i had and never really gave thought to the loading of it with different mic-pres as a contributing reason.... thanx for the heads up Thrill, if i ever get to use one again which in OZ in highly unlikely cos they are SO freakin expensive i will definately switch them into differnet pre's to gauge teh loading issues. I remember u liekthem plugged into Neve A/B's like 1081's etc and they did not load well with king daddy class A 1073/84 etc.

Very 'Now' pop/hip-hop/ R&B (how they get away with calling that Genre that i just dont know?grudge ) seems to have less body than all the regular classic suspects.. but if that is ur 'thing' and u have DEEP pockets.. go for it!

I have heard good things about M149 and am temepted to buy one cos i know of one going very cheap... but im happy with my FET 47 so i think illl save the $$ for a holiday instead...(bows head in ANTI-gearslutz reverence).

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 28th February 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Wiggy Neve Slut
Ditto What Thrill said about the 800G

I didnt like the one i had and never really gave thought to the loading of it with different mic-pres as a contributing reason.... thanx for the heads up Thrill, if i ever get to use one again which in OZ in highly unlikely cos they are SO freakin expensive i will definately switch them into differnet pre's to gauge teh loading issues. I remember u liekthem plugged into Neve A/B's like 1081's etc and they did not load well with king daddy class A 1073/84 etc.

Very 'Now' pop/hip-hop/ R&B (how they get away with calling that Genre that i just dont know?grudge ) seems to have less body than all the regular classic suspects.. but if that is ur 'thing' and u have DEEP pockets.. go for it!

I have heard good things about M149 and am temepted to buy one cos i know of one going very cheap... but im happy with my FET 47 so i think illl save the $$ for a holiday instead...(bows head in ANTI-gearslutz reverence).

PEACE
Wiggy

Hey Wigs,

You know what's funny is that you would think a bright and airy mic like this would love a Neve 1073 to tone it down, but it really doesn't.

In regarding the older pre's, it liked better the 1081 and the API 312(original transformers).

This is almost the case with some U47's I've used.

A U47 through a 1073 and a LA2A where you would think it would be vintage magic, quickly turns into vintage mud.heh

I would love to try E-Cue suggestion for his pre on a U47 and C800G. I had a chance to pick one up recently but didn't have the cash.
Old 28th February 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Quote:
A U47 through a 1073 and a LA2A where you would think it would be vintage magic, quickly turns into vintage mud.heh
Hey thrill...you've just described my favorite rock vocal chain (plus a 2nd comp like a CL1B after the LA2).

For R&B, yes, there would be too much chest in that chain for most voices.
Old 28th February 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by jon
Hey thrill...you've just described my favorite rock vocal chain (plus a 2nd comp like a CL1B after the LA2).

For R&B, yes, there would be too much chest in that chain for most voices.

Hey Jon,

I hear you.

I don't track that many rock guys anymore, mostly pop and rnb "divas" these days(and also all of the new Shakira wannabees).heh

Even for a rap vocal, all of that "iron" in the chain is too much.
Old 1st March 2003
Lives for gear

If I were you I would skip the M149 and go for either a Soundelux E47 or an ELUX 251 (which can be had 2nd hand for about what you're looking to spend). You'll have to scrape together a couple more bucks, but you'll be happy you did. You'll find that most Soundelux owners are pretty rabid about them - and for good reason. I think the Brauner line is very solid as well.
Old 1st March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
A U47 through a 1073 and a LA2A where you would think it would be vintage magic, quickly turns into vintage mud.
Agreed... but gee..... it still cuts the mustard 95% of the time.

For Rock which is basically what we mainly do here in OZ... i rue the day there are 'shakira' wannbes calling up the studio or me wanting work to be done.... but i guess variety is the spice of life and maybe thas why im itching for a holiday!

We recorded my mates band recently and the vox chain was U47-->1073--> UA LA2A--> Distressor... He is a loud singer and ****!!!! the harder u bent the needle on the LA the better it sounded the ditressor just picked up some of the slack. I can whole heartedly recommend this like Jon said as the 'tour de force' ( btw dont diss my french Jon... it s defintaly was not my forte @ school .. but i wish my teacher was heh ) rock vocal chain... it just kiks so damn hard and sounds fantastic... but thats just me and i was getting off on it but im sure there are other chains that would do it just as well. would beinteresting to do a direct A/B between u47, u47 FET and M149 using this chain for 'Rock' vocals... any takers?

I was using my FET 47 last week and it was ACE....Fet-47 --> Shep SN8--> 1176... magic but still missing that 'special' u 47 factor!

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 1st March 2003
Quote:
would beinteresting to do a direct A/B between u47, u47 FET and M149 using this chain for 'Rock' vocals... any takers?

PEACE
Wiggy
I've tried it before...U47Fet-1073-LA2A for a rap vocal and guess what...didn't like it.heh

The M149 is a "female vocal mic". I have never liked it on any guys(and not many females either now that I think about it).

The M49(original) kicks its ass!!!

It works on certain female singers though in situations where other mics don't(my "male vocal mic" for this purpose is a Sanken CU-41).

And there is always the venerable SM7.
Old 1st March 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Quote:
We recorded my mates band recently and the vox chain was U47-->1073--> UA LA2A--> Distressor... He is a loud singer and the harder u bent the needle on the LA the better it sounded
Hey Wiggy and Thrill,

Funny thing is, with the LA2A re-issue we have here, I DON'T like it when it's doing too much GR. I set it so that it might do 1-2dB GR max, most of the time none at all.

Are the LA2As you use vintage or re-issue ones?
Old 1st March 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by jon
Hey Wiggy and Thrill,

Funny thing is, with the LA2A re-issue we have here, I DON'T like it when it's doing too much GR. I set it so that it might do 1-2dB GR max, most of the time none at all.

Hey Jon,

I have a reissue(an a old LA1).

I rarely ever do a lot of GR on any of my comps(only for an effect).

I haven't really tried to push the reissue, but maybe i will give it a shot.

I know on the LA1, the more I tend to push it (especially on the voxes) the less I like it(at times). I think there are just (2)release times I like on it for voxes. But like I said, lately for tracking voxes I rely more on a EAR660 for the LA2A/BA6A kinda sound. I tend to use my Urei stuff only when mixing.
Old 2nd March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Jon..

the one we use is a new Universal Audio version its about 3 yrs old now and maybe its burning in is making a difference cos i melted when i heard the vocal tone and it sounded ACE!!! as i said B4 the harder u bent the needle the better it sounded. The distressor is just a 'final stopper' in the chain to max levels and put a cap on any stray peaks... but generally it's mainly down to the LA2A.. i find that in most cases the distressor kinda makes thinks very 'pointy' for want of a better word which im not too keen on in vocal tones. So often u an just hear the 'distressor' set to stun on a lead vocal and it gets kinda shrill and gnarly .. but on snr's and GTR's.. watchout cos they ar tha bomb!

Thrill... in attributing this theory that an LA2A sounds better when ya hammer it harder i also think our mutually loved Neve 2264's adhere to this principle too.. i slammed some bass and rooms not long ago and it was just so right and for vocals they are really good... **** it they are another desert island bit of kit for me!!! that and a 1073 and im set !!!

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 2nd March 2003
Quote:
Jon..

Thrill... in attributing this theory that an LA2A sounds better when ya hammer it harder i also think our mutually loved Neve 2264's adhere to this principle too.. i slammed some bass and rooms not long ago and it was just so right and for vocals they are really good... **** it they are another desert island bit of kit for me!!! that and a 1073 and im set !!!

PEACE
Wiggy
Wigs,

This can be true at times.

I use mines mostly on snares(main and subs) and sometimes bass(sub).I only use it on a vocal if it is need of some reconstruction.

I just close my eyes and turn the knobs.

Yeah sometimes I am pinning the meters, but for the most part its not. Since I use so many comp subs, I tend to hit them harder less(or sometimes at all) and just blend the different colors for a certain effect.

But I don't mix as much rock as you an Jon do, so I am mostly trying to get stuff(synth tracks and samples) to sound more "alive and vibrant""interesting" also. Killing the dynamics doesn't work so great for this purpose.

heh

Hey wouldn't that be a great name for a band "Killing Dynamics"?
Old 2nd March 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Quote:
Hey wouldn't that be a great name for a band "Killing Dynamics"?
Or for a mastering house?

heh
Old 6th August 2009
Lives for gear

I've got a chance to buy a 149 for 2500 right now from a studio down the street. it's in pristine condition. sounds like a great price.
Old 6th August 2009
Lives for gear

Warming up 6 year old threads LOL
Yes - it´s still a great mic and at this price a no brainer.
Old 6th August 2009
Gear Nut

YES!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search