The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
what next?
Old 24th February 2003
Gear Maniac

what next?

Well...it seems that I'm stuck. I'm not really sure what to buy next. I hope you guys can help. My first thought was 8 channels of higher quality AD. I also need a good compressor for tracking(mainly vocals) But I just want the biggest improvement in sound.
I've been considering using my c414's for toms rather than overheads and getting a pair of 122's or Coles 4038s

Here's what I have:

Digi001
4- Neve 1272's custom racked
Presonus Digimax(using it as master clock/ AD)
Avalon U5 Di
Mackie HR824's
Joe Meek Vc3Q(never seems to be used anymore)
2-C414B-ULS
C3000
D112
2-Oktava mc012
Oktava MKL2500(tube mic)
7-sm57's

Let me know what you think
Old 24th February 2003
Re: what next?

Quote:
Originally posted by out1ear
Well...it seems that I'm stuck. I'm not really sure what to buy next. I hope you guys can help. My first thought was 8 channels of higher quality AD. I also need a good compressor for tracking(mainly vocals) But I just want the biggest improvement in sound.
I've been considering using my c414's for toms rather than overheads and getting a pair of 122's or Coles 4038s

Here's what I have:

Digi001
4- Neve 1272's custom racked
Presonus Digimax(using it as master clock/ AD)
Avalon U5 Di
Mackie HR824's
Joe Meek Vc3Q(never seems to be used anymore)
2-C414B-ULS
C3000
D112
2-Oktava mc012
Oktava MKL2500(tube mic)
7-sm57's

Let me know what you think
Bottomn line...what's the budget and what are you trying to do? Track?Mix?Produce?

To get into the discussion is fruitless if there is no budget. And rememeber this is HIGH END(the deep end of the pool), so some of the suggestions maybe a little over your budget.

Specifics would help lots.
Old 24th February 2003
Some sort of classic copy Valve mic? ( Sondelux?)

Or a ribbon - Royer 122?

Pairs?

Old 24th February 2003
Gear Maniac

sorry, my budget is around $2k.
Old 24th February 2003
Can't you pick up a Royer (121 then?) or Sondelux for under $2K??

OK I checked into it.....

A pair of Royer 121's

or.... add $500 and get a Sondelux U99. (never used one myself to be honest, just heard it was a 'good buy' for the money)

Folks?
Old 24th February 2003
Lives for gear

he just replied to the thethrillfactor's question... ;-)

Better monitoring than mackie hr824? But that will cost more than $2000... just suggesting
Old 24th February 2003
Gear Addict

Ifet7 by Soundelux. Two flavors for the price of one. And you'll have change left over...
Old 24th February 2003
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

How about just getting the Fmr. RNC compressor for
under $200, then using the other $1800+ dollars
elsewhere in the chain? What kind of effects unit(s)
are you using right now for reverb, etc.?

Chris
Old 24th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by matucha
he just replied to the thethrillfactor's question... ;-)

Better monitoring than mackie hr824? But that will cost more than $2000... just suggesting
I agree that better monitoring would be beneficial. If you can't hear what you're doing you can't make good decisions. I've been toying with the idea of picking up a pair of B&W hi fi speakers to get a real world perspective. They're not that much cash. Just my humble opinion.
Old 24th February 2003
Lives for gear

you guys really feel like the HR824s need to be *replaced*? Is that on the basis of experience or heresay?

my vote is definitely for the ADCs.
Old 24th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by six_wax
you guys really feel like the HR824s need to be *replaced*? Is that on the basis of experience or heresay?

my vote is definitely for the ADCs.
They don't need to be replaced at all. I'm just thinking about getting a pair of higher end home speakers for reference and I figured I'd toss it out. I'd get a good D/A as well but I think that my position on that end is pretty much established in any integrated system like the 001 the D/A converters usually get the short end of the stick so I always vote for an improvement there. Audio recording and mixing always comes down to decision making and the only way to make the best decisions is to be able to monitor accurately. Just my opnion. Take it with an entire salt shaker if you want!
Old 24th February 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Ckevperry
Ifet7 by Soundelux. Two flavors for the price of one. And you'll have change left over...
I'll second the iFET7, great mic!
Old 24th February 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by out1ear
sorry, my budget is around $2k.

Wow only $2k huh?

This doesn't leave many options.

First of all you won't be able to tackle all of your needs in one shot.

If you want an 8 channel A/D, a Vocal comp and mics that are worth while(and keepable), is better to wait till there is more on the budget.

For $2k you can probably get one or two things on the list.

It looks like right now with what you have(mic pre's and mic wise) you can do some work(I do think eventually you will need a better vocal mic though).

So it comes down to what will make the biggest impact right now(or as I say "whay will put change in your pocket right now").

I've always believed that for a studio to produce great recordings, it has to be pretty strong up the middle. What I mean by"up the middle"is the chain from mic down to tape(or these days DAW) and speakers(for monitoring).

I was checking your list and you don't really have any "standouts"(but if you are starting out its understandable). So i guess you gotta start somewhere.

I think the biggest difference maker right now would be your A/D.

I think the only 8 channel A/D with light pipe(to interface with the 001) that you can get for that price is the Apogee AD16. It sounds pretty good and if you decide to change platforms(or go to HD) you can still use it.

If you nix the A/D idea, than an excellent vocal comp under $2K is the Tubetech CL1B. I've sung its praises on other posts(comp under $2K). You can find one used for around $1350-1700.

I bow down to others on the tom mics.

Also a last suggestion is rentals. When you need those critical tracks(ie vocals) you can always rent a great signal chain.

Good luck.
Old 24th February 2003
tee
Gear Nut

..... or instead of the Apogee AD16, you can get a Lucid ADA8824 for a little less and get about the same quality of conversion, plus 8 channels of DA. You can use 2 of those channels to monitor from, plus if you use any analog outboard you have the 6 other channels to use - it will be a big improvement over the 001's convertors.

Tony
Old 24th February 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

I'd really wait til you can afford either very good converters or very good monitors. I don't think there is any point to skimping on them and what you have now is workable, just not on the next level. Well, the converters could use some work, but I'd still wait til I had around $4000-5000 for 8 channels of A/D and D/A. And I see what atticus is saying, but I think upgrading the D/A without also upgrading the A/D at the same time is a mistake if you record what you mix. I'd put aside the same budget for monitors, although my monitors are not from the price/quality range.

If you want to get something now, who can blame you. We're all gearslultz lookin' for that quick fix, so I'd upgrade your mics. That appears to be the weakest link in the chain. I like the CAD VX-2 alot, and it can be had for $1300, which includes two switchable capsules and all the goodies. More detail and high freq. extension while still sounding similar to a U67. I think it's a very flexible and great sounding vocal mic, among several other uses.

I don't know Soundelux mics but I've yet to hear anything less than high praise about them.

Can you audition mics in your studio, or are you somewhere that recording equipment is treated with less civility?
Old 25th February 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Wow only $2k huh?

This doesn't leave many options.

First of all you won't be able to tackle all of your needs in one shot.

If you want an 8 channel A/D, a Vocal comp and mics that are worth while(and keepable), is better to wait till there is more on the budget.

For $2k you can probably get one or two things on the list.

It looks like right now with what you have(mic pre's and mic wise) you can do some work(I do think eventually you will need a better vocal mic though).

So it comes down to what will make the biggest impact right now(or as I say "whay will put change in your pocket right now").

I've always believed that for a studio to produce great recordings, it has to be pretty strong up the middle. What I mean by"up the middle"is the chain from mic down to tape(or these days DAW) and speakers(for monitoring).

I was checking your list and you don't really have any "standouts"(but if you are starting out its understandable). So i guess you gotta start somewhere.

I think the biggest difference maker right now would be your A/D.

I think the only 8 channel A/D with light pipe(to interface with the 001) that you can get for that price is the Apogee AD16. It sounds pretty good and if you decide to change platforms(or go to HD) you can still use it.

If you nix the A/D idea, than an excellent vocal comp under $2K is the Tubetech CL1B. I've sung its praises on other posts(comp under $2K). You can find one used for around $1350-1700.

I bow down to others on the tom mics.

Also a last suggestion is rentals. When you need those critical tracks(ie vocals) you can always rent a great signal chain.

Good luck.

Hey Outlear,

I found(Apogee AD16) this on the DUC:

All prices OBO.

Located in Los Angeles.
Will ship internationally.

You can find the list here:
http://homepage.mac.com/bitcrusher/gearlist.html http://homepage.mac.com/bitcrusher/gearlist.html

[email protected]

Or Call me at 310-261-8128
ask for Josh

If it helps, good luck with it.
Old 25th February 2003
Gear Maniac

thanks for all your suggestions. I was looking at the Panasonic Ramsa WZ96 AD. It's really well priced and I've heard good things. Does anyone have opinions on them?? I figure I could get wz96AD, the WZ96DA, and an RNC for $2k. That's 8 channels of ad/da and a compressor.
Old 25th February 2003
Gear Maniac

Ckevperry

I checked out the iFet7 and it's pretty sweet. I think I'm probably going to go for a new A/D, but the soundelux may just be next on my list. It seems to be a great vocal mic and I assume a great front of kit mic as well(in 47mode)

thanks for the suggestion
Old 25th February 2003
Lives for gear

and after that stuff, get rid of those wackies...your bass will tighten up right away...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search