The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Preamp Advice 500 Series Preamps
Old 20th August 2008
Gear Head

Preamp Advice

Hello guys...

Im about to buy a preamp for my studio..Im looking for something thats good for all recording, vocals, percussion, gtrs. nd etc..

Wat you suggest up to 2500$.

Thanks
Old 20th August 2008
Gear Head

API 3124. Unless you were just looking for one channel at that price. But hey, they are still great.
Old 20th August 2008
Gear Addict

Mic pres ...choices,choices!!!

Would agree that API - 4 pres unit would be a top choice!! You might hear a few saying that API s are good for GTRs,perc and drums etc..but for vocals choose a Neve or Great river etc...You will be able to achieve fantastic results all round with API and it works well on everything and vocals..
Have you considered starting a 500 series 6 slot lunchbox?I think you might be able to get a BAE rack and 4 BAE 312a pres [which are based on APIs and are considered top]within your budget..!!?
It might be a flexible choice with options to pick up say second hand modules in future..
Lots of great choice of pres,EQs and compressors - great river,buzz audio,api...etc..
On other choices..,There's a Neve 4 mic pre unit that looks interesting..
On top quality/great price stuff- DAV and Audient pres are both respected and worth a look..
Hope this helps..
Old 20th August 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolo View Post
Would agree that API - 4 pres unit would be a top choice!! You might hear a few saying that API s are good for GTRs,perc and drums etc..but for vocals choose a Neve or Great river etc...You will be able to achieve fantastic results all round with API and it works well on everything and vocals..
Have you considered starting a 500 series 6 slot lunchbox?I think you might be able to get a BAE rack and 4 BAE 312a pres [which are based on APIs and are considered top]within your budget..!!?
It might be a flexible choice with options to pick up say second hand modules in future..
Lots of great choice of pres,EQs and compressors - great river,buzz audio,api...etc..
On other choices..,There's a Neve 4 mic pre unit that looks interesting..
On top quality/great price stuff- DAV and Audient pres are both respected and worth a look..
Hope this helps..
This is totally wrong!!! Just kidding. I really agree with Nikolo here. You may even be able to get a lunchbox with two BAE 312 or two API 512c's and then add in an Avedis MA5. That might get pretty close to 2500. And would be amazing. You would have two great channels for drums, etc. and one incredible vocal channel.

Plus the ability to expand like Nikolo was saying. I am also very interested in the Neve 4 channel mic pre they released. I am going to go searching for it right now because I am too lazy to look it up and write in the actual model number while I type this.

Wait, I just did it. The NEVE 4081. Looks tasty. Although more than $2500. Good luck.
Old 26th August 2008
500 series nutjob

a 500 frame lunchbox or a rack and some awesome pres!!
i love the A-Designs P-1 for anything.
for something a bit more HI-FI look at the EM-BLUE.
their is a great line up in the A-Designs pres for different colors.
the API 512 is always a welcome pre.
the LaChapell 583s as tripped my trigger for vocals as well as other uses.
same goes for the Great River MP-500NV.
for something that would lack color and be a bit cleaner the MINT JULIP or the new ShinyBox Si both due very nicely.
i just a Avedis MA5 and it gets a thumbs up on vocals ( what for a upcoming review ).
their is a awesome line up in the 500 format rite now, you can get just about any flavor you want, try a few, they are all very nice pres.
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Nut

I agree.. the 500 series stuff is a really great format. Better than the 3124.
NPNG is coming out w/ a 500 series Mic Pre that I think is going to be GREAT!!!

I just bought a pair of Seventh Circle Audio N72's

I have a pair of 1066's and the SCA's have the same color, depth, and VIBE. I LOVE THEM!!!!

They cost me about 1k for the pair and the rack ect.... And I had to build them. (which was easy..."paint by numbers")

But for $2500.00, you can have 2 "neves", 2 "api's" and 2 "Dual Servos" I think that the Seventh Circle Audio stuff is a No-Brainer.

The Only Issue is that the "Re-Sale" value is not what you get with the others.. However, people who Know want these if you ever need to offload them.

It is nice to have great "gear", but at the end of the day, you really want the sound, not the gear.

IMHO...

ps. This is NOT a paid advertisement. I am truly sold......

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search