The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Aurora 8/16 vs Lynx2 Audio Interfaces
Old 20th August 2008
Here for the gear

Aurora 8/16 vs Lynx2

Hey all,

I've been using a setup of 3 Lynx2's (various models) and have been certainly very impressed by the A/D D/A conversion.

Being a gear slut, I was wondering if anyone has A/B'd the Lynx2 converters with the new Aurora converters and noticed any outsdanding differences in quality?

If the aurora is going to be that much better, I might as well buy one as I'm already a huge fan of Lynx

Thanks much for your advice
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Hey St.Croix
Have you had any problems with multiple LTWOs?
I have an A model, and am in a similar boat trying to figure if I neecd to get just a C model to go with my A, vs getting a Aurora 8
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Nut

I have both. I've only compared the DA by playing a CD back, switching back and forth between the two.

There is a difference- kind of like sharpening a camera lens on the audio. It's not drastic like a Digi001 or MOTU 828 to Lynx2 difference, but it's definitely noticable. Keep in mind that's only two tracks(stereo) so with a lot more, the comparison would be more dramatic, I'm guessing.

I'd be happy to post some comparison files if someone gives me detailed instructions on how to do a fair comparison test.
Old 27th August 2008
The Aurora is better than the PCI series, as it has its own power supply, [one obvious feature] They are both excellent choices its simply a matter of needs, but yes the Aurora is a better converter for sure.
Old 27th August 2008
Here for the gear

Thanks for the feedback guys,

I've ordered an Aurora 16

I'm going to keep the Lynx's for an additional 8 channels of I/O when I need them.

(This will of course mean purchasing another AES16 card)

Can't wait to do some A/B'ing

Cheers
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Nut

Sold! Where's my commission Paul and David? Just kidding.

You'll love it, and really appreciate how decent the Lynx2's are...
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stcroix View Post
Hey all,

I've been using a setup of 3 Lynx2's (various models) and have been certainly very impressed by the A/D D/A conversion.

Being a gear slut, I was wondering if anyone has A/B'd the Lynx2 converters with the new Aurora converters and noticed any outsdanding differences in quality?

If the aurora is going to be that much better, I might as well buy one as I'm already a huge fan of Lynx

Thanks much for your advice
I had 3 Lynx 2C's , sold 2 and Got the Aurora 16 - compared them back to back with same file - A16 is that 2-3% difference and worth it - 24-30 trks with 2 % adds up - tighter and clearer by a bit - Yes it is worth it if you are professional - no if you are a hobbyist

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search