The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bass Guitar : Best 500 EQ or Bass Preamp??? 500 Series Preamps
Old 18th August 2008
Bass Guitar : Best 500 EQ or Bass Preamp???

Hello All,

Wanted to throw this out there. Since I'd rather not buy a vintage Ampeg and a nice Classic cabinet to get more control over my bass guitar sound for recording, what 500 series EQ and/or bass preamp (with EQ built in) would you recommend?

I like something that adds a little flavor, but more than anything, serves the function of a good, tone shaping EQ.

Just wanted to see what you guys would say! Thanks - Brad
Old 18th August 2008
Gear Maniac

I really like the Chandler Germaniums for bass but if you want the EQ in the same box, I've also had good success with my Brent Averill 1073. It's not a 500 series though...

The only 500 series stuff I've ever owned was the API stuff and I wouldn't recommend the 512 for bass. I think there are probably better options out there. I used the 560 EQ on bass a couple of times with success though!
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Sansamp into an API or Eisen Neve (or neve flavor of your choice) into a Purple Action comp sounds great!! No need for an eq, at least at the tracking point. Maybe later during the mic stage.
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

and this is what makes these knd of questions not very useful.
for example,
i have had great succsess with the 512 on bass.
its all subjective.
you gotta try them out and see what YOU like.
Old 18th August 2008
Great replies, everyone. I'm looking for more of EQ choices. Other than the API 560, are there any other recommendations of other 500 EQ's and/or bass preamps with built-in EQ?

Essentially, I'm set between having an MA5, Eisen Neve, and ADM 780. *The 780, if you haven't heard one, is DEFINITELY a go-to bass preamp. It generally beats everything else for whatever reason. This is why I'm looking for EQ's now.

Thanks - Brad
Old 18th August 2008

The Avedis E27 has a wonderful low end, that never gets flabby or tubby... The API 550A's are also very good on the low end, but I'd probably get the E27.
Old 18th August 2008
Buzz Tonic is incredible on bass, vocals, even two bus. It's extremely tight sounding in the lows and creamy in the top.
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

550A
Old 19th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Great River on bass!

The juggernaut is kickass too (more colored than the GR) but the GR has a slightly more extended low end
Old 19th August 2008
Here for the gear

API 560

Avalon 737
Old 19th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankitup View Post
Great River on bass!

The juggernaut is kickass too (more colored than the GR) but the GR has a slightly more extended low end

Do you mean the Great River has a more pronounced low frequency, or actually is more noticeably extended (i.e. goes flatly lower in frequency than the Juggernaut)?
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
Sansamp into an API
Sansamps are crap. Recommending a sansamp is bad advice
If you need to eq first then insert a real eq first in the chain
Old 20th August 2008
500 series nutjob

i am loving the API 550A but for bass the A-Designs EM-PEQ still get the work duty when it comes to bass and or MOJO!
i do not think you could go wrong with either.
i love the Great River on bass as well as the HI-Z input on the LaChapell audio 583s, or the DI on the A-Designs P-1 ( that is if DI is needed, or wanted ).
Old 20th August 2008
Gear Nut

It's all dependant on the tone that the instrument and rig are generating-(obviously) but had amazing results with an 737sp on the mic chan and dirtying up the DI through the Culture Vulture.
Old 20th August 2008
Have you guys noticed that you recommend the same modules in all the 500 series threads? Could it be that all of this **** works great on everything?

I dunno just an observation.
Old 20th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
Have you guys noticed that you recommend the same modules in all the 500 series threads? Could it be that all of this **** works great on everything?

I dunno just an observation.
You mean the whole thing is a waste of time! We're all just blowing hot air here! ****, that's it! I quit. I'm selling it all and retreating to a life of carpentry. Anyone know any good carpentry forums?
Old 26th August 2008
500 series nutjob

a bump

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search