The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A-designs EM-blue Audio Interfaces
Old 18th August 2008
  #1
Here for the gear
 

A-designs EM-blue

Hello 500 users!

I got an em-blue and am totally lovin the sound on acoustic guitar...strumming
i just use sm-57>Em-Blue>mc77...sounds beautiful

was wondering if anyones had any other great uses on these underrated pre's

haven't yet tried it on vox or anything

please share
Old 18th August 2008
  #2
Old 18th August 2008
  #3
Lives for gear
 
GearHunter's Avatar
 

I dunno how under-rated it is. People have been loving and praising the Blue for a couple years now. Favorite uses acoustic guitar, snare (with a Heil PR20!) and vocals. Killer!
Old 18th August 2008
  #4
Jai guru deva om
 
warhead's Avatar
 

You can use it to amplify any mic used on any source and it will work anywhere between excellent to most excellent (you have to say that like Bill and Ted).

I mean, it's just a great killer pre and I would not say it has limits really. It's very forgiving overall, with a nice presence to it.

War
Old 18th August 2008
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Hi guys, I've got a bit of a noob question over here.
To power an em-series pre, do you NEED a lunchbox or empty rack unit, or do they have seperate in's and out's on the back?

The thing is, I'm into buying a single preamp, but the pacifia is two, and if I opt for the p1 with the rack, I'll have an empty rack doing nothing at all :/ Or are there perhaps single slot 500 series racks?
Old 18th August 2008
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Guitar Zero's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasmasset View Post
Hi guys, I've got a bit of a noob question over here.
To power an em-series pre, do you NEED a lunchbox or empty rack unit, or do they have seperate in's and out's on the back?

The thing is, I'm into buying a single preamp, but the pacifia is two, and if I opt for the p1 with the rack, I'll have an empty rack doing nothing at all :/ Or are there perhaps single slot 500 series racks?
Yes you need a powered rack for all of the 500 series modules.
There's no 1 space rack, but there are three different two space racks. The cheapest one is the A-Designs rack at $300. Atlas pro makes one and I think Avedis is the other. I have the A-designs one and it will do the trick for you. Then if you decide you want to record in stereo, you just get a second one, pop it in, and away you go.
Old 19th August 2008
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Zero View Post
Yes you need a powered rack for all of the 500 series modules.
There's no 1 space rack, but there are three different two space racks. The cheapest one is the A-Designs rack at $300. Atlas pro makes one and I think Avedis is the other. I have the A-designs one and it will do the trick for you. Then if you decide you want to record in stereo, you just get a second one, pop it in, and away you go.
Ok thanks, do the racks come with an empty slot lid? You know, something to cover up the empty slot to prevent dust falling in etc?
Old 20th August 2008
  #8
500 series nutjob
 
pan60's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-yo View Post
Hello 500 users!

I got an em-blue and am totally lovin the sound on acoustic guitar...strumming
i just use sm-57>Em-Blue>mc77...sounds beautiful

was wondering if anyones had any other great uses on these underrated pre's

haven't yet tried it on vox or anything

please share
i love the EM-BLUE on acoustics!
i also love on snare a well!
a very very nice pre!
Old 20th August 2008
  #9
500 series nutjob
 
pan60's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasmasset View Post
Hi guys, I've got a bit of a noob question over here.
To power an em-series pre, do you NEED a lunchbox or empty rack unit, or do they have seperate in's and out's on the back?

The thing is, I'm into buying a single preamp, but the pacifia is two, and if I opt for the p1 with the rack, I'll have an empty rack doing nothing at all :/ Or are there perhaps single slot 500 series racks?
i would say grab a A-Designs 500HR with the EM-Blue and use that empty slot for a EQ and or comp later.
if you get a pre and EQ at the same time you can probably get a dealer to though in or at least discount the 500 HR, just a thought.
Old 20th August 2008
  #10
Lives for gear
 
numrologst's Avatar
i had never tried the blue on snare until monday, but I've gotta say I was underwhelmed. I started out with it on snare as opposed to my usual pacifica.

I must say I had to go back to the usual pacifica. To me the difference was night and day, I can't say why though. The transient response just didn't seem to be there.
Old 20th August 2008
  #11
Gear Addict
 
JordanA's Avatar
 

I actually had a dream I got a EM-Blue last night. I guess it is on my mind. I will need to get one.
Old 20th August 2008
  #12
Lives for gear
 
gm5k's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iordan View Post
I actually had a dream I got a EM-Blue last night. I guess it is on my mind. I will need to get one.
LOL slut heh
Old 27th August 2008
  #13
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
i would say grab a A-Designs 500HR with the EM-Blue and use that empty slot for a EQ and or comp later.
if you get a pre and EQ at the same time you can probably get a dealer to though in or at least discount the 500 HR, just a thought.
Hi, the preamp would mainly be for vocals. Shouldn't I get a p1 instead of the blue?
Old 27th August 2008
  #14
500 series nutjob
 
pan60's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasmasset View Post
Hi, the preamp would mainly be for vocals. Shouldn't I get a p1 instead of the blue?
my choice would probably be the P-1, i like for vocal a lot.
it has a very nice push in the upper mids nice and smooth, not has mid forward as some other pres, a very nice balance.
i feel like the P-1 just works on anything for me.
get with a some of the dealer that hang out here most of these guy have very good return policies, you could try both and return the one.
careful the temptation to keep both will be ever so present: )~
let us know which one you decide on!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
RuffJazzRecords / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
2
embrionic / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
3
JB3 / So Much Gear, So Little Time
11
IndieRockStudio / So Much Gear, So Little Time
7

Forum Jump
Forum Jump