Old 21st February 2003
Harmless Wacko

Old 21st February 2003
Lives for gear

http://www.innertubeaudio.com/

currently re-designing their website.
Old 21st February 2003
Yeah, bummer.
Anymore info Slipperman, to keep us going until they get their site up and running.
Mono? Stereo? Price?
Old 21st February 2003
Gear Maniac

You should get the new ADL 1600 compressor. It´s everything you talked about, plus it ads major "colour" to the lead vocals!!

/Dj SlimmerMan
Old 22nd February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisso
Yeah, bummer.
Anymore info Slipperman, to keep us going until they get their site up and running.
Mono? Stereo? Price?
I got some infos about the price, mmh you should cry now.4000$ single, 6000$ dual ...

AAAaarGGHH

malice
Old 22nd February 2003
Lives for gear

All the innertube stuff is so pricey, it's hard to actually check it out. I've been trying to get at one of the U87 "tube" mod's for a while to do some deep testing out.
Old 22nd February 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by malice
I got some infos about the price, mmh you should cry now.4000$ single, 6000$ dual ...
I guess you get what you pay for.
What with the Slam......a lot of things seem to be headed in the $6k direction all of a sudden.
grudge
Old 22nd February 2003
One with big hooves

Well, this is high-end after all. For singers with a big swing I like the Distressor. I really should buy one or two some day. My other favorite chain is an 1176 at 4:1 or 8:1 followed by a 160VU. But, I just did an album where they sounded better flipped around so go figure.
Old 23rd February 2003

I've owned a squeezebox for about a year now and it is a very unique compressor. Kinda like you mated an La2a to an 1176 and then fed the offspring on steroids. Very powerful unit. I only allow myself to use it during mix anymore (well, some exceptions, like when I want a very chunky slide guitar or blues harp). It can reduce the dynamic range to zero and still have a full sound....that's a good thing and a very dangerous thing. Early on I got a little carried away with it and had to redo some vocals for a client after we realized that as cool as it was having these incredible, up front vocals, the song really needed a more natural vocal sound......my mistake, not the squeezebox's fault...but as usual I had to learn something the hard way. The squeezebox is very capable of providing gentler compression, but you gotta go easy and forget the meter, it only shows about 50% of the reduction that the box is really doing. I find that anything that is thin or small sounding (especially vocals) that I can't get to beef up the way I want is a candidate for the Atomic box. I had a big project this last spring where the snare just bugged me no matter what I did and out of sheer frustration I went down my rack and tried every unit one at time no matter how stupid it seemed and when I hit the squeezer the snare gained about 50 pounds of pure muscle. Expensive way to get a snare sound, but it is the only box I know that can add that kind of authority.
I tried the box when they were first produced, but couldn't come up with the cash. Luckily, after staying in touch with Stayne (owner of Innertube) we worked out a deal for cash and an old RCA 77b that I had. He's a bit of a gear slut, like the rest of us, so we both got someting we wanted.
Somebody mentioned the U87 retrofit in this thread....been using a pair for about 5 years. It was based on my positive experience with those that I checked out the squeezebox . Tried the Inner Tube Mag-mic also. Didn't get one...nice sound, but just couldn't see myself putting up a flashlight in front of a singer and expecting them to take me seriously...maybe more appropriate for a different studio.
Best regards, Rick
Old 25th February 2003
Lives for gear

the ADL is not in the same league as the Squeezebox. Check out the MagMike too..a tube mic in a MagLight body...truly too kinky
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

There were a couple of atomic squeezeboxes up on ebay a few days ago.

Also, there was a pair of (and I quote) "Pultec EQP1a Tube Compressors".
Very rare indeed.
Old 13th March 2003
Lives for gear

I'll let you know how mine is when I start using it!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search