The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dream studio Feedback Please. Condenser Microphones
Old 18th August 2008
  #1
Gear Nut
 
ChuckG's Avatar
 

Dream studio Feedback Please.

I am doing a little rest of my life self planing and working out my dream studio is one of the tasks. Here is what I have so far and I am wondering what I should add, get rid of, switch out, ect...


Console:
-Neve Genesys Recording Console - 32 Channel
-Audio Accessories Shorti Quick-Switch Patchbay to DB25 (4)


Recording:
-Pro Tools HD3
-Digidesign 192 (3)
-Mac Pro
-23” cinema displays (2)
-Waves APA32
-Waves Platinum Bundle
- SSL Duende
-Universal Audio UAD 1 Ultra Pak



Monitors:
-Dynaudio M3 (pair)
-Genelec 7071A (2)
-Focal Twin 6 (pair)
-Yamaha Ns10 (pair)
-Crane Song Avocet
-Bryston 4B-SST-Pro
-Bryston 2B-LP-Pro



Microphones:
-Telefunken USA ELAM 251
-Josephson E22S
-Royer R-121 (2)
-Nuemann U47fet
-Coles 4038 (2)
-Sennheiser e609 (3)
-Shure sm57 (4)
-Shure sm 58 (2)
-Shure SM7B
-AKG D 112
-AKG D12
-Shure Beta 52A
-Sennheiser MD421(3)
-Peluso 2247 LE (2)



Outboard:
Preamps
-API 3124+
-Focusrite ISA 220
-Avalon AD2022
-D.W. Fearn VT-1
-TAB-Funkenwerk V78M

EQ
-GML 8200
-API 550B (5)
-API 560
-API 500-6B

Dynamics
-Empirical Labs Distressor (2)
-Universal Audio 1176LN (2)
-Universal Audio LA-2A



Cabling add $10,000

Accessories add $5,000

Furniture add $3,000




Tell me what you think. Thanks
Old 18th August 2008
  #2
Gear Maniac
 
Dimes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 529 Pro Audio View Post
I presume you already have your room sorted out?

-Chris
This is big. You should have this in there.

What about a lunchbox? some A designs stuff maybe?

On the compressor side you could add some stuff in there for sure.

A lot depends on what you plan on recording at your place.
Old 18th August 2008
  #3
Lives for gear
 
drumkideric's Avatar
 

I would ditch the APA 32 right away. Mac pro can handle anything you throw at it.
Old 18th August 2008
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckG View Post
I am doing a little rest of my life self planing
Dude tell us that you are kidding right?



Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckG View Post
Tell me what you think. Thanks
Where are the dream studio clients coming from that will book out the dream studio and pay the dream studio rates?
Old 18th August 2008
  #5
Lives for gear
 
jchadstopherhuez's Avatar
 

if it is your dream studio.....

who CARES what anyone else thinks ?

just a thought.

if I had to come up with MY dream studio.....it would be filled with stuff that I want. that stuff would be determined by 1 criteria.....when i used it...did i like it ?

that being said...certainly nice enough gear in your list there to make killer records: given that you have a good sounding room, some talent, good players, and some tunes.

good luck with it,

jchristopherhughes
Old 19th August 2008
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Savernake's Avatar
 

Add some Shadow Hills stuff, just because it is actually beautiful.
Old 19th August 2008
  #7
Here for the gear
 
renny3c's Avatar
 

$3000 for furniture.... don't know what you want to add, but i'd imagine you need way more if you include: chairs, sofas, desks, rugs, lamps, etc!

it's always the un-sexy things in the studio (like lighting, and electrical wiring, air conditioning and such) that really add up to the total cost of the studio!
Old 19th August 2008
  #8
Gear Addict
 

Move Slowly Brotha

Dreams are great but you want to make sure you know each single piece of gear that you buy. See if you can hang out at a bunch of studios in your area and get a day-to-day feel about how the staff works with the artists, see what gear matters, watch mic setups and tricks from the other engineers. Lots of times in the studios, you'll be hanging out with a couple/few mics, swapping preamps on a vocal, or patching in a quick compressor for a bass track. Lots of individual, sometimes small amounts of gear - and all the time is spent on - the takes. That's the focus, the people, sometimes the full band, the mood. It looks like you have some good cash flow going. I don't know your skills, but the main thing is to be patient and focus on aquiring skill. Be in for the long haul. Skill ranks at the top. Maybe fill out a great, simple project studio as a first cut, then work with groups in that environment, a cheaper rate, bring folks in the door like Thrill said. Then you'll have a great idea about adding on more to your studio.
Old 19th August 2008
  #9
Gear Nut
 
ChuckG's Avatar
 

Ok I might not answer all of the questions but here is a start.

-I am in MN. The studio will hopefully be based in Northeast Minneapolis which a big artist district with tons of great warehouses. I am going to find a floor or two that I can rent and build out.

-The Idea of the studio "theme" is Classic. I am going to use a lot of recycled materials with lots of great old natural wood. We have some great recycled building material centers that sell this type of stuff for cheap. The layout is in my head but I haven't been able to draw it up yet. I will employ the expertise of Dave Ahl who works as a studio construction adviser in town. He has done work on The Terrarium, Pachyderm, and Paisley Park studios. I would do much of the work myself and with the hhelp of some friends. I didnt add the bdget for the build out of it because i will not know that as exact until I know what my room would be like.


-The studio will be mainly for recording drums. I know that most people can do the rest of the tracking at home now so this will be a place for getting the drums done and vocals if needed. We will still record full bands appon reqest but will market it more twards a drumm room setup.


-To Chris. I dont know if you can do the A/D hookup through the console. I will check the specs to see if that is an option. Or I will take your advise and get some Apogee.

-To Dimes. There is a lunchbox. Right now i would fill it with mainly API but i would be willing to swich out with some different pres if anyone has ideas for better drum pres.

-To Eric. Thanks for letting me know that. I just put it on there as procatution depending on how much ram i was going to get ans such. Know i know I will be 8GB so there should be no need for it.

-To the thrillfactor. I was kidding. There is no planning out the rest of my life. But there truly is planing out of this studio. The dream clients will be producers looking for a drum room and bands doing home recording looking for a place to finish a record. There are many potential clients in town and because the music scene is ever changing here I belive there always will be.

-To jchristopherhughes. I am not trying let people make desisions for me. I just was looking for a couple of people who know there stuff to give me some feed back. The stuff people have told me has been quite help so far.

-To renny3c. The furniture will actuley be built by a friend of mine. He is a great furniture builder and he has some designs for som crazy looking racks and couches and all that. Hopefully I will onvince him to use some of the recycled materials to make some of it. Thus the furniture will be cheap.

-To groove merchant. I have been trying to do that as much as possible. I love the studios in town (or atleast most of them...) and I think that what I am doing is quite different from them. Minneapolis has very few producers that have their own studio and so most records are made in the main studios in town. I am catering to the few that do have their own places but have no drum room and bands who have bought some gear and are making records in tehir space or houses but have no good drum spots. Like I said I will still do full bands, voice overs, ect..., but because I am a drummer I decided this is a way to bridge the two things I do the best.
Old 19th August 2008
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckG View Post
-To the thrillfactor. I was kidding. There is no planning out the rest of my life. But there truly is planing out of this studio. The dream clients will be producers looking for a drum room and bands doing home recording looking for a place to finish a record. There are many potential clients in town and because the music scene is ever changing here I belive there always will be.
Well i just hope in your current dream scenario there is the part of you making the time to go and sit down in front of the Neve Genesys and trying it out for yourself.

Especially if you are going to lay out that much bread for a 32 channel version.

Choosing the right console is probably the most important gear decision you will make. It will affect the sound coming out of the studio the most(with the acoustics). Also its not like choosing a pair of monitors, mic or outboard gear that you can easily switch out when you get tired or bored with it. Its a 100K investment that you better be damn sure about. Lastly if you are having outside people pretty much generating the income of your place you better have something that anyone can come off the street and use and something they will potentially want to work on. I've seen studios go under for making the wrong decision here, but i guess if its a dream scenario part of the dream will be some kind of success.
Old 19th August 2008
  #11
Gear Nut
 
ChuckG's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Well i just hope in your current dream scenario there is the part of you making the time to go and sit down in front of the Neve Genesys and trying it out for yourself.

Especially if you are going to lay out that much bread for a 32 channel version.

Choosing the right console is probably the most important gear decision you will make. It will affect the sound coming out of the studio the most(with the acoustics). Also its not like choosing a pair of monitors, mic or outboard gear that you can easily switch out when you get tired or bored with it. Its a 100K investment that you better be damn sure about. Lastly if you are having outside people pretty much generating the income of your place you better have something that anyone can come off the street and use and something they will potentially want to work on. I've seen studios go under for making the wrong decision here, but i guess if its a dream scenario part of the dream will be some kind of success.
Yeah that is a big part of it I understand. I like how the Neve is setup and I have heard good things about it. I would obviously never buy it without testing it out first. I guess I don't know what consoles are producers favorites. I am really more of a Neve or API person than anything. I am ok with SSL but I don't know if I would put one in my studio. Whats your take on the console situation as far as drums and producers?
Old 19th August 2008
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckG View Post
Whats your take on the console situation as far as drums and producers?

Well if you are really looking more for a tracking console that can attract outside producers than probably something classic is a safer bet. The downside is the upkeep.

One thing though is that i've been lucky enough this year to have a chance to sit in front of almost all of the new console offerings out now: API 1608, RND 5088, Tonelux & the Neve Genesys. I've also used the AWS 900 in the past and i have absolutely no interest in trying the Matrix. Actually the one mixer system that i am most curious to use is the one that i probably won't get a chance to use and that would be the Aurora GTM-822. I know GT is debuting it at AES but there is no way that i can get out there to try it.

I wrote a couple of my impressions on the Neve Genesys in this thread:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...genesys-3.html

The one thing i can definitely stress is its worth it to sit down and try these products yourself. In a lot of ways i was really shocked in the difference in what i imagined compared to what i heard.

But honestly that goes for a lot of gear these days.
Old 19th August 2008
  #13
Welcome to the club!

Looks like you're going to have lots of fun! Would be great if you contribute to the studio construction thread when you have settled on a building location. Extra points for posting a photo of the napkin (or back of envelope) you used to sketch the initial floorplan ;-)
Old 19th August 2008
  #14
Lives for gear
 
jchadstopherhuez's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckG View Post
Ok I might not answer all of the questions but here is a start.

-I am in MN. The studio will hopefully be based in Northeast Minneapolis which a big artist district with tons of great warehouses. I am going to find a floor or two that I can rent and build out.

-The Idea of the studio "theme" is Classic. I am going to use a lot of recycled materials with lots of great old natural wood. We have some great recycled building material centers that sell this type of stuff for cheap. The layout is in my head but I haven't been able to draw it up yet. I will employ the expertise of Dave Ahl who works as a studio construction adviser in town. He has done work on The Terrarium, Pachyderm, and Paisley Park studios. I would do much of the work myself and with the hhelp of some friends. I didnt add the bdget for the build out of it because i will not know that as exact until I know what my room would be like.


-The studio will be mainly for recording drums. I know that most people can do the rest of the tracking at home now so this will be a place for getting the drums done and vocals if needed. We will still record full bands appon reqest but will market it more twards a drumm room setup.


-To Chris. I dont know if you can do the A/D hookup through the console. I will check the specs to see if that is an option. Or I will take your advise and get some Apogee.

-To Dimes. There is a lunchbox. Right now i would fill it with mainly API but i would be willing to swich out with some different pres if anyone has ideas for better drum pres.

-To Eric. Thanks for letting me know that. I just put it on there as procatution depending on how much ram i was going to get ans such. Know i know I will be 8GB so there should be no need for it.

-To the thrillfactor. I was kidding. There is no planning out the rest of my life. But there truly is planing out of this studio. The dream clients will be producers looking for a drum room and bands doing home recording looking for a place to finish a record. There are many potential clients in town and because the music scene is ever changing here I belive there always will be.

-To jchristopherhughes. I am not trying let people make desisions for me. I just was looking for a couple of people who know there stuff to give me some feed back. The stuff people have told me has been quite help so far.

-To renny3c. The furniture will actuley be built by a friend of mine. He is a great furniture builder and he has some designs for som crazy looking racks and couches and all that. Hopefully I will onvince him to use some of the recycled materials to make some of it. Thus the furniture will be cheap.

-To groove merchant. I have been trying to do that as much as possible. I love the studios in town (or atleast most of them...) and I think that what I am doing is quite different from them. Minneapolis has very few producers that have their own studio and so most records are made in the main studios in town. I am catering to the few that do have their own places but have no drum room and bands who have bought some gear and are making records in tehir space or houses but have no good drum spots. Like I said I will still do full bands, voice overs, ect..., but because I am a drummer I decided this is a way to bridge the two things I do the best.

understood. apologies if my post seemed harsh in anyway. not my intent. your original post did not mention anything about building a COMMERCIAL studio...just your "DREAM" studio, and thus my response.

i now understand your position, and so i will offer my 2 cents....and my apologies for not doing so with my original post.

my best piece of advice would be to make sure to PLENTY of your budget toward making a GREAT sounding room. particularly if you are going to track drums. all the great gear in the world will not help out a bad room.

i make records all over the country...and often am VERY suprised at how many places have all the latest and greatest gear...all the "buzz" gear...amazing mics, etc..etc....BUT have rooms that DO NOT sound very good. when i am booking a room for a project, especially for a TRACKING gig, I look for GREAT sounding rooms first. i can always bring in my own mics and preamps if the studio is not as equipped as i would like. i'll pass on the crappy sounding room with TONS of gear anyday.

i assume this will be a focus for you. bringing in some outside folks who have experience with ACTUAL studio buildouts is VERY smart. i dig that you want to use alot of recyclable materials !! i would add that having a fair amount of gobos available would be a good thing. being able to adjust the relative "size" of your tracking room would be really advantageous.

my 2 cents on your console....if you are really focusing on attracting outside producers...and HAVE to have a console...i'm not sure i would go with something like the genysis . if the focus of your room is on tracking....not sure why the genysis seems appealing. having a GOOD deal of nice preamps IS important, i believe. for most of my rock tracking dates, i would expect at least 12-18 channels of nice preamps.

i do not think you can go wrong having 4-8 channels of API, maybe 4 neve-type channels, some cleaner class a stuff like millenia, sytek, john hardy...etc. i believe most engineers tracking drums would like to have some nice eqs at least for kick, snare, toms, and rooms. if it were me personally, and my focus was on tracking....especially drums...i would look at finding a trident 80 series, or looking at the newer API, DAKING, or RND desks.

when i am looking for a room to track drums in...#1 is the sound of the room...then its the desk or preamp selection along with mic selection. if i am going to pay a day rate above what i can do at my own studio....if there is a console..i would look for a neve, api, trident, or even a neotek or the like. my personal belief is that the neve genysis would not be that much of a draw. i personally would put more money into outboard preamps, and have a clean desk to monitor with....or really look into the api route. you could start with a basic desk with a few api eqs...then add more 500 series eqs and comps as your business grows.

out of the new consoles available today, i believe the api would be a much better draw...especially over the genysis. i PERSONALLY would go with a daking desk...but i believe if your consideration is not only SOUND quality, but NAME value...the api is it.

my only other advice would be to have everything comin up on a patchbay that is clearly labeled, have plenty of mic stands, cables, di boxes, headphones, ( a great headphone system would be a BIG draw in my eyes.) all the other gear is really so subjective. you have some nice compression and eq....i personally would add some small diaphraghm condensors to the list as well..ie. km84, akg 451...etc.

again...just my opinion...but that is what you asked for heh

good luck with your venture. as a guy who has built several studios i can tell you...it will be ALOT of work. running a commercial studio is a tough gig. if you love it...you can do it.

best of luck to you !!!

jchristopherhughes

ps. i work with some bands from minneapolis....(i'm based in milwaukee) so i would be interested in seeing what you come up with !!
Old 19th August 2008
  #15
Gear Nut
 
ChuckG's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixman499 View Post
understood. apologies if my post seemed harsh in anyway. not my intent. your original post did not mention anything about building a COMMERCIAL studio...just your "DREAM" studio, and thus my response.

i now understand your position, and so i will offer my 2 cents....and my apologies for not doing so with my original post.

my best piece of advice would be to make sure to PLENTY of your budget toward making a GREAT sounding room. particularly if you are going to track drums. all the great gear in the world will not help out a bad room.

i make records all over the country...and often am VERY suprised at how many places have all the latest and greatest gear...all the "buzz" gear...amazing mics, etc..etc....BUT have rooms that DO NOT sound very good. when i am booking a room for a project, especially for a TRACKING gig, I look for GREAT sounding rooms first. i can always bring in my own mics and preamps if the studio is not as equipped as i would like. i'll pass on the crappy sounding room with TONS of gear anyday.

i assume this will be a focus for you. bringing in some outside folks who have experience with ACTUAL studio buildouts is VERY smart. i dig that you want to use alot of recyclable materials !! i would add that having a fair amount of gobos available would be a good thing. being able to adjust the relative "size" of your tracking room would be really advantageous.

my 2 cents on your console....if you are really focusing on attracting outside producers...and HAVE to have a console...i'm not sure i would go with something like the genysis . if the focus of your room is on tracking....not sure why the genysis seems appealing. having a GOOD deal of nice preamps IS important, i believe. for most of my rock tracking dates, i would expect at least 12-18 channels of nice preamps.

i do not think you can go wrong having 4-8 channels of API, maybe 4 neve-type channels, some cleaner class a stuff like millenia, sytek, john hardy...etc. i believe most engineers tracking drums would like to have some nice eqs at least for kick, snare, toms, and rooms. if it were me personally, and my focus was on tracking....especially drums...i would look at finding a trident 80 series, or looking at the newer API, DAKING, or RND desks.

when i am looking for a room to track drums in...#1 is the sound of the room...then its the desk or preamp selection along with mic selection. if i am going to pay a day rate above what i can do at my own studio....if there is a console..i would look for a neve, api, trident, or even a neotek or the like. my personal belief is that the neve genysis would not be that much of a draw. i personally would put more money into outboard preamps, and have a clean desk to monitor with....or really look into the api route. you could start with a basic desk with a few api eqs...then add more 500 series eqs and comps as your business grows.

out of the new consoles available today, i believe the api would be a much better draw...especially over the genysis. i PERSONALLY would go with a daking desk...but i believe if your consideration is not only SOUND quality, but NAME value...the api is it.

my only other advice would be to have everything comin up on a patchbay that is clearly labeled, have plenty of mic stands, cables, di boxes, headphones, ( a great headphone system would be a BIG draw in my eyes.) all the other gear is really so subjective. you have some nice compression and eq....i personally would add some small diaphraghm condensors to the list as well..ie. km84, akg 451...etc.

again...just my opinion...but that is what you asked for heh

good luck with your venture. as a guy who has built several studios i can tell you...it will be ALOT of work. running a commercial studio is a tough gig. if you love it...you can do it.

best of luck to you !!!

jchristopherhughes

ps. i work with some bands from minneapolis....(i'm based in milwaukee) so i would be interested in seeing what you come up with !!
You didn't seem harsh. I totally understood your realistic approach to thinking about it.

The room has to be a great place to get a big drum sound but also a tight drum sound. I will for sure have tons of gobos big and small to help with that. The picture below is of The Terrarium which is a great studio here in town (which you may have worked at). Most of my friends bands come here to record albums and the drum sounds the get are great. The gobos they have are custom built and I think they are what I am going to base my designs off of.

As far as the console. I guess I hadn't thought abut and API or Danking. I love APIs but I figured they were a bit out of the price range. I guess I could get a 1608 but I think I would be happier with a Legacy or a Vision. I understand your point of a Danking not being as atractive but i have heard stuff recorded on them and I would agree they sound amazing.

With the mics. I was just thinking about how i had no small diaphraghm condensers. I think i would add some 451s and possibly some tubes to compliment that. Do you know what i might look for as far as small diaphraghm tube mics?

I was going to add another 2 grand to the assesories budget so that I could really splurge on a headphone system. The reason its not on the original budget is that i never found the perfect one. I know there are not a huge ammount to chose from but I guess out of the one there are I dont knwo what to pick. What in your opinion is good for my situation?

I am for sure going to add some 1037s to the mix because I know they need to be there. Almost couldnt survive without them haha.

Thanks for your two cents. Its very helpful.
Old 19th August 2008
  #16
Lives for gear
 
jchadstopherhuez's Avatar
 

cool.

1073's are never a bad idea !!

i happen to be a HUGE daking fan. i have many preamps....and will eventually end up with a console. i also love api...the daking sound just works for me. i have never really understood why daking consoles are not more prevelant. geoff makes KILLER sounding gear, it is built rock solid, and its NEW.

my feeling on the console is that more and more folks are mixing in the box...or at least a bit of hybrid....unless you are specifically making a mix room....the api 1604 would be a killer little desk to monitor with and of course use for tracking/blending mics...etc. the ability to add other 500 series gear is cool too.

as a former owner of a ssl 4056 AND a trident 80...in a large commercial room....i just want to tell you this....KNOW what you are getting into with a LARGE console.....overhead means more than just how much it costs....add in maintenance...and daily overhead...i.e. hvac, electric...etc....not to mention all the WIRING neccessary. its always more than you think..heh just FAIR warning.

small dia. condensors...man...so many out there. never can go wrong with km84's, akg 451's or even the new mercenary km69 deals...they sound GREAT. i also just used a pair of the mojave audio tube condensers...they seemed REALLY nice as well.

a headphone rig is a HUGE deal in my opinion. just something that WORKS well...can drive phones LOUD (for drummers) and is easy to use makes sense. there are alot of nice ones out there....from the pricey PRIVATE -Q rigs to the bigger furman deal, to some of the newer digital based units.

you are a drummer, so i suppose you probably have this covered...but...i would add a few choice snare drums....and possibly a few basic kits to have around. always good to have GREAT sounding instruments in your place !!

again, good luck. pm me anytime if you want to rap more.

peace,

jch
Old 19th August 2008
  #17
Lives for gear
 
jchadstopherhuez's Avatar
 

ps.

if you have the budget....add 2-3 little labs IBP's.

you will NOT be sorry !!

peace,

jch
Old 20th August 2008
  #18
Gear Nut
 
ChuckG's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Looks like you're going to have lots of fun! Would be great if you contribute to the studio construction thread when you have settled on a building location. Extra points for posting a photo of the napkin (or back of envelope) you used to sketch the initial floorplan ;-)
I will definantly be contributing to the construction section when this is being built. when this is being built. I will add the napkin and steal those bonus points as well. ;-)

P.S. Been following your studio. Your design ideas and renderings are so great. You will have a truly unique studio. Plus nice job on getting a Duality. Just Put two of those in at the McNally Smith school here in MN . They are so great.
Old 20th August 2008
  #19
Gear Nut
 
ChuckG's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixman499 View Post
cool.

1073's are never a bad idea !!

i happen to be a HUGE daking fan. i have many preamps....and will eventually end up with a console. i also love api...the daking sound just works for me. i have never really understood why daking consoles are not more prevelant. geoff makes KILLER sounding gear, it is built rock solid, and its NEW.

my feeling on the console is that more and more folks are mixing in the box...or at least a bit of hybrid....unless you are specifically making a mix room....the api 1604 would be a killer little desk to monitor with and of course use for tracking/blending mics...etc. the ability to add other 500 series gear is cool too.

as a former owner of a ssl 4056 AND a trident 80...in a large commercial room....i just want to tell you this....KNOW what you are getting into with a LARGE console.....overhead means more than just how much it costs....add in maintenance...and daily overhead...i.e. hvac, electric...etc....not to mention all the WIRING neccessary. its always more than you think..heh just FAIR warning.

small dia. condensors...man...so many out there. never can go wrong with km84's, akg 451's or even the new mercenary km69 deals...they sound GREAT. i also just used a pair of the mojave audio tube condensers...they seemed REALLY nice as well.

a headphone rig is a HUGE deal in my opinion. just something that WORKS well...can drive phones LOUD (for drummers) and is easy to use makes sense. there are alot of nice ones out there....from the pricey PRIVATE -Q rigs to the bigger furman deal, to some of the newer digital based units.

you are a drummer, so i suppose you probably have this covered...but...i would add a few choice snare drums....and possibly a few basic kits to have around. always good to have GREAT sounding instruments in your place !!

again, good luck. pm me anytime if you want to rap more.

peace,

jch
Well I think that at this point I am leaning toward an API. This will definantly not be a mixing room and so i get your point about the usefulness of the 1604. I in fact was thinking that if I got it with 32 channels that it might turn out to be just what i need. That also mean that I wont have to change the budget around a bunch to accommodate a more expensive console.

I definantly know what i am getting into with the big console. Its a huge part of your studio and costs a lot just to keep in tip top shape. But I believe that if you can learn to be responsible with that in the end its a great investment.

As far as small condensers I think I have settled on some 451s and some Peluso P28s.

Headphone wise I will have the standards as far as Sony and Sennheiser but i am really going to have a large amount of Beyer. I love their headphones. The just work for me. The headphone system is looking like it will either be Hear Technologies or the bugger Furman system. I don't know which one will work better for the drum situation.

Thanks for all of your advice. You are a huge help to the process.

Chuck
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Marshall Oliver / So Much Gear, So Little Time
81
Gezrick / High End
32
KenDrums1082 / So Much Gear, So Little Time
3
Robert heif / So Much Gear, So Little Time
35
drakewire / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
1

Forum Jump
Forum Jump