The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which is the $85 pre and which is the $2200 pre? Condenser Microphones
Old 16th December 2008
Lives for gear
Is this thread still going? Shoot me now...
Old 18th December 2008
Gear Addict

well, name preamp B and we'll um, B done.
Old 18th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. gauss View Post
well, name preamp B and we'll um, B done.
PM Johnkenn and he'll tell you (he mentioned that on the first page).
Old 18th December 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
Here's the perfect example of arrogance and condescension.
Old 18th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston View Post
These threads get tiring.

I've said it before and I'll say it again now and again in the future.

"Anyone who considers the price of a preamp as a determining factor in whether or not to use it on a recording is a fool."

The question should always be "which sounds better in this context? This song, this performer, this track, this arrangement."

I've lost track of how many times I've used a cheaper preamp simply because it sounded better. Never to the discredit of the more expensive one.

This comparison illuminates two points very clearly:

A) You have to use your ears and not a calculator to decide what preamp is right on any given day, and

B) We all hear things differently. Not everyone agrees on which is best.

How about a show of hands from people who know that one preamp beats out another on one day and loses on the next? REGARDLESS of price.

And who here has found the one preamp that sounds better on every thing all the time?

I'm glad that people are learning from these samples. I just question what it is that they are learning. If you learned that an $85 preamp sounded preferable to an unknown $2200 preamp to some people on this one recording, then I'd say you learned the right lesson.

Now, armed with that knowledge, go pick signal paths with your ears, not your wallet.
I was going to mention that by far the best comparisons are on Lynn's CD. It has helped me choose preamps that I still own and love. It shows the stregnths and weaknesses of some very well respected preamps. I presonally came to 2 conclusions. There is no single pre that will always sound the best. And you don't always get what you pay for.
Old 27th December 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S
There is no single pre that will always sound the best. And you don't always get what you pay for.
As is said "variety is the spice of life". And this holds no truer than to our art.
Old 27th December 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
Here's the perfect example of arrogance and condescension.
You know what, Mike. Don't post anything else. You've trolled enough in this thread. I'm going to ask the moderator to lock it. If you want to do your own test the way you want to do it, then by ALL MEANS go for it. Responses like yours is the reason I've lost interest in Gearslutz. There's always SOME know-it-all that likes to talk about how much he knows - and that would be you.
Old 27th December 2008
Lives for gear

wow............. just kill this thread its messing with everyones sanity... i didnt think this was still going on........
Old 27th December 2008
Quote:
You know what, Mike. Don't post anything else. You've trolled enough in this thread. I'm going to ask the moderator to lock it. If you want to do your own test the way you want to do it, then by ALL MEANS go for it. Responses like yours is the reason I've lost interest in Gearslutz. There's always SOME know-it-all that likes to talk about how much he knows - and that would be you.
Better to be a know it all that a prick who has nothing to add other than a dismissive insult to everyone who's participated.

Rather than unsuscribe, you went out of you way to be a jerk in a thread that got tense and then resolved happily, when you could have just left it alone. Then you took the next opportunity to make it personal.

If you can't tolerate other people having opinions, then leave.

In then mean time, if you don't like a thread, then don't read it.

Or, better yet, put me on your blocked list and then you don't have to waste anyone's time. You've joined Allen Collins on mine.
Old 27th December 2008
Quote:

And, if you really want to make me look bad, please explain how this post of yours wasn't one of the most arrogant and condescending posts in this thread.

It's really just gratuitous.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search