The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Eventide H8000 vs. Eventide Eclipse? Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 14th March 2005
Gear Addict

Eventide H8000 vs. Eventide Eclipse?

Looking into the H8000 and the Eclipse. Was wondering how the Eclipse stacks up. 8 channels from the H8000 is definitely a plus but not entirely necessay I could totally liove with 2 channels off the Eclipse. And I don't do surround sound either. Strictly stereo at the moment. So what I'm wondering is, how good are the verbs, delays, distortions, and special FX compared to the H8000? I would also be looking to use the Elclipse or H8000 possibly for some mixing mastering applications. How do the EQ, Compressor, and limiter presets? Better than something like the Waves L1//L2/L3 or worse? Are the EQ presets usuable for anything? Or are they merely there for just for show? So I guess the question is, can the Eventide H8000 or preferably Eclipse be a high performance all in one box or is it really just the reverbs and delays that shine?
Old 14th March 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edIT
Looking into the H8000 and the Eclipse. Was wondering how the Eclipse stacks up. 8 channels from the H8000 is definitely a plus but not entirely necessay I could totally liove with 2 channels off the Eclipse. And I don't do surround sound either. Strictly stereo at the moment. So what I'm wondering is, how good are the verbs, delays, distortions, and special FX compared to the H8000? I would also be looking to use the Elclipse or H8000 possibly for some mixing mastering applications. How do the EQ, Compressor, and limiter presets? Better than something like the Waves L1//L2/L3 or worse? Are the EQ presets usuable for anything? Or are they merely there for just for show? So I guess the question is, can the Eventide H8000 or preferably Eclipse be a high performance all in one box or is it really just the reverbs and delays that shine?

Lots of questions! I've owned an eclipse and I gave it away and bought the mighty H8K.

Q: how good are the verbs, delays, distortions, and special FX compared to the H8000?

A: the eclipse does about 25% of what the H8K can do at 70% of the quality.

Q: I would also be looking to use the Elclipse or H8000 possibly for some mixing mastering applications. How do the EQ, Compressor, and limiter presets? Better than something like the Waves L1//L2/L3 or worse? Are the EQ presets usuable for anything? Or are they merely there for just for show?

A: The Eclipse doesn't really have many mastering algs. I can't think of any actually. The EQ, comp, and limiter on the eclipse are very decent. The comp is very good for a digital comp. Eclipse doesn't do L1/2/3. H8K has good digital limiters that are much mor transparent than L1/2. I haven't used L3. EQ presets? WTF is wrong with you? Don't you have ears?

Basically, the Eclipse is good if you aren't an FX freak. If you are, get the H8K. The algs in the H8K are much better and they can even do "retro" eclipse sounding. If you have the money, time, and patience, get the H8K. Sounds like you don't have patience though if you're using EQ presets so why bother with either? Stay with Waves.
Old 14th March 2005
Gear Addict

So how does the Eventide H8000 stack up against the Kurzweil KSP8?
Old 14th March 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeflora
If you have the money, time, and patience, get the H8K.
Patience is the keyword here...I was dissapointed at first but as time went by I realized just how DEEP this machine is. Now I can't live without it...I actually would like a few more of them but...$$$ ...bouncing will do fine for now
Old 14th March 2005
I'm thinking of getting an H8000, also. Is it really powerful enough to run 8 different complex algorithms at once? Can anyone give an idea of how much simultaneous processing it can do? Regarding the reverb, I'm a long-time lexicon user-- how do the Eventide's reverbs compare with, say, the Lexicon 480? Are they as smooth an huge? Would they be usable for classical or jazz music as well as pop/rock, etc?
Old 14th March 2005
Lives for gear

The H8k can run several complex algos both in serial and parallel;
the routing possibilities (total matrix) are awsome thumbsup

The verb quality in top notch, it's all about taste. With that kind of DSP control, it's no sweat to add some lfo's or whatever..
Presets are IMO something in between Lex and TC, posh, fairly coloured..
more Boston than Little Ferry - really...

ruudman
Old 15th March 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edIT
So how does the Eventide H8000 stack up against the Kurzweil KSP8?
It doesn't. The KSP8 isn't nearly as powerful as the H8K. I had a mangler and the verbs were very nice. different from the H8k. Both are good.

Buy them all.
Old 15th March 2005
Lives for gear

i have both units. the eclipse and the h8000..you cant even compare the two.
the ad/da converters in the h8000 are so far superior..the eclipse will rule in its price range though..i use the eclipse in a guitar rack... mastering wise on the h8000 there is a whole bank of presets. one of my favorite "mastering lab 2"
which was created by empirical labs or someone who works for them..the compressors in the eventides sound analog to me..as for the reverb I've owned
lex pcm91 tc reverb4000, tc system 6000 now i just use the h8000 i love the reverbs they sound very 3d if you want them to...the new algorithms they have been coming out with including 3 band stereo reverb sound awesome.
some people use many reverb units. i dont like to use too much reverb on my work so the h8000 is great for me.. i was going to try a ksp8 once but bought a mangler first. im glad i did i felt sick after i heard it boxed it up and it went to ebay
Old 15th March 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by effectsnut
i was going to try a ksp8 once but bought a mangler first. im glad i did i felt sick after i heard it boxed it up and it went to ebay

different strokes... I guess. I LOVE the Kurzweil fx boxes, very different flavoring than the Eventides... for bread and butter phasers, chorus, delays, tremolo, ring mod - I prefer the Kurzweil, and actually, I find their new reverbs to be second to none. The mangler/rumour presets are great for basics and very easy to tweak...

The Eventides are electronic instruments, not mere fx processors... dont use them as such. Spend some time programming and you will find vast unmapped soundscapes...
Old 29th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeflora View Post
WTF is wrong with you? Don't you have ears?
. If you have the money, time, and patience, get the H8K. Sounds like you don't have patience though if you're using EQ presets so why bother with either? Stay with Waves.
You gotta be kidding me. Do you actually think anyone will listen to a joker who comes back with a a response like that? You just lost all credibility jackass.
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edIT View Post
Looking into the H8000 and the Eclipse.
Well, I use one live and one in the studio

Can you guess which one?
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear

Well the Eclipse is mos definitively studio worthy in my book.
Old 19th October 2012
Gear Maniac

This thread is from 7 years ago...
Luckily, the H8000 is still the flagship and I use it every day.
That being said, it is a deep box that is a PITA to learn. Nobody talks about them or shares any information on how to get better and that includes the forum at Eventide. I still think it is the best turd shiner you can own though.
Old 20th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
That being said, it is a deep box that is a PITA to learn. Nobody talks about them or shares any information on how to get better and that includes the forum at Eventide. I still think it is the best turd shiner you can own though.
Blast from the past! ...I sold mine
Old 20th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
Maybe it's that people don't really get into Vsig, building their own stuff or understanding how to improve or make the existing stuff different...
There's A LOT to be asked and told about these units. Worth a series of books.

I
Old 20th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by italo de angelis View Post
Maybe it's that people don't really get into Vsig, building their own stuff or understanding how to improve or make the existing stuff different...
There's A LOT to be asked and told about these units. Worth a series of books.

I
This is 1000% true, unfortunately for most time is either too limited or they have other interests to pursue...

Personally, I spend at least 1 day a week experimenting and learning with my H8000 and find it inspires me in new ways everytime
Old 27th April 2013
Gear Addict

Hey guys!

A question about the Eventide H8000:

Is it possible to use 4 Stereo Ins and Outs and use for example 4 Stereodelays ond DSP A and 4 Stereo Chorus ond DSP B in series? This would give you something like 4 Timefactors and 4 Modefactors in series?

Thanks for the clarification..

Veck
Old 27th April 2013
Gear Addict

Answer to my own questions: Yes, should be possible, because there are presets for 8 channel delays and if you assume that you only need one DSP for this, you should be able to load another 8 channel effect to DSP B.
Old 28th April 2013
Lives for gear

You can build anything running 8 mono effects or 4 stereo ones or a mix of them (4 mono + 2 stereo). The limitations are not about the type of effects and instances... it's about DSP resources. When I wrote the library for the H8000 I added very few 8 channels mono effects as they don't seem to be very useful as some other combinations. You can find several presets using 2 or more stereo machines though.
Take a look at banks 30 and 32 for details about these powerful combos.
Now...using VSIGFILE you could copy and paste single mono or stereo effects from any of these presets and assemble your combos!
Old 28th April 2013
Gear Addict

Thanks a lot, italo de angelis. I will get an H8000 in about a month and then I will be able to check out everything. But I did'nt started to read the manual in detail, because it doesn't make too much sense for me to read the manual without testing everything out right away.

Is there a list about DSP resources somewhere? It would be great to see for example, how much DSP Power a Band Delay consumes and how many of them can be processed by a single DSP. Just to get an idea, whats possible.
Old 28th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veck View Post
Thanks a lot, italo de angelis. I will get an H8000 in about a month and then I will be able to check out everything. But I did'nt started to read the manual in detail, because it doesn't make too much sense for me to read the manual without testing everything out right away.

Is there a list about DSP resources somewhere? It would be great to see for example, how much DSP Power a Band Delay consumes and how many of them can be processed by a single DSP. Just to get an idea, whats possible.
You can't monitor resources, unfortunately. There are several different types of them and keeping their levels under control would be another lost amount of resources. You have enough power to do a lot of things though. I wouldn't be concerned really.
Old 28th April 2013
Gear Addict

Ok, thanks again. VSIG doesn't look too complex at them moment. I have experience with Reaktor and the Nord Modular, but I'm coming from the modular synthesizer patching and I still have to learn more in the FX field...
Old 11th November 2014
Lives for gear

Dual Mono?

can the eventide eclipse take two separate aux sends and apply two separate effects eg reverb and delay to each input (dual mono) and sum them to the output or are there two stereo outputs?
Old 11th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
can the eventide eclipse take two separate aux sends and apply two separate effects eg reverb and delay to each input (dual mono) and sum them to the output or are there two stereo outputs?

Check the user manual routings.
Old 16th November 2014
Gear Nut

How about the H7600? Do you really need the 8000? I am quite happy with H7600.
Old 28th November 2014
Gear Addict

Question for the H8K experienced....

Can you route into the unit AES and out Analog???
Old 29th November 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
1 pair of stereo outputs

you can run in Dual Mono or stereo
Old 29th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perelandra05 View Post
Question for the H8K experienced....

Can you route into the unit AES and out Analog???
I'm pretty sure you can go digital in - analog out.
My 7000 does it, so I imagine the 8000 does too.
Old 29th November 2014
Gear Addict

Follow up question for either the H8K and/or Eclipse...

Is anybody running this unit at 96kHz, and if so how is it's performance at higher sampl rates???
Old 29th November 2014
Lives for gear

If you've never used an Eclipse or an H8K you will not be disappointed by the Eclipse. But, if you can afford an H8K, get one. Keep in mind the Eclipse itself is in a different league than the classic H3000...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search