The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any good direct guitar yet? Dynamic Microphones
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Wait a month till AES.

There will be a new box/ processor released that will revolutionize this need as we know it. I've heard and seen the thing in action and the tones you get with this thing left me like...

And its not some digital simulator type box either.
OK!

Well be sure to post back and tell us which it was in case we all overlook it.

Hope to meet you there btw.
Old 18th August 2008
I like the vox direct stuff. They sound great. A lot less transparent live as well.
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Palmer 03 is still a valid option, if you have some good amps and want to track their general voice and still be quite...

Damage control Womanizer and Demonizer, not bad, pretty good, sounds very similiar to what the palmer does, very close sounds or at least filter settings to my ears.... Of course its a preamp, so they have thier own, limited sound. good onboard compressor on those though.

I think something like software or hardware like fractal audio , will give you those extra options not really available in the real world, at least easily. running different amps into different speakers, with different mics and same efx all at once, some creative options. Fractal audio is the best direct solution out as of now imo. In the right hands, it can sound amazing. Though I have heard a pod sound amazing in the right hands. Usually those hands are not mine heh

grendall dead room is also an isolation alternative, with 2 mic clips!

looking forward to the release of this new mysterious box, though I hate hearing hype about something, with no information, and nothing to come for months..
Old 18th August 2008
Gear Nut

A speaker simulator is something I'm considering purchasing as well as I'd like to start playing again and doing my own projects at home.

Another option to add to the list is the motherload. Do a search for it. I have heard it but It seems like a strong contender. It seems super versatile and cool to run other things through as well.

Being a fan of big guitar rock, the speaker sims interest me to use not only on their own but along with tracks of real amps and mics. can't have too many flavors and sounds!

Thrill has piqued my curiosity with whatever this new beast is coming out soon.

Carl
Old 18th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
OK!

Well be sure to post back and tell us which it was in case we all overlook it.

Hope to meet you there btw.
Hey Peeder as soon as i know the prototype will be there i'll post a link in the New Products section. Its 2 friends that developed this thing but i guarantee when its out there its going to create a quite a stir.

And as much as i would love to be in San Francisco(i love the food and coffee there), i am not attending this years AES. Which is unfortunate since i was looking to listening to GTanners mixer system.
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

The Sequis Motherload is the king of speaker sims...it's the only one I've used that I could ACTUALLY get to SOUND like a speaker. I don't think they're in production though (someone correct me if I'm wrong...), so eBay would be where you find one of those.

Actually, we've got a prototype of a new box Sequis is making that's kind of a stripped-down Motherload. It gives you a SWEEP between cabinet models (****ING YES) and sweepable distortion characteristics. If it makes it to market...look for this thing!
Old 19th August 2008
Gear Maniac

A good distortion pedal DI'd into Voxengo Boogex can sound pfhucking %^&#$!!!!

Don't ignore some of the freebie VST distortion (and delay, and chorus, and phase, and...) effects.

Some of these plugins sound REAALLLY good, IMO, when reamped thru a cleanish tube amp.

Not just for guitar either....

Please and thank you,
Pfhuck
Old 19th August 2008
Gear Addict

JLH Products featuring L Pellissier 3D art and the AxeTrakaxetrak/

i have one. sounds pretty damned good. don't use it much any more as i have a lot of space now....but it was very useful.
Old 19th August 2008
direct guitar

As long as you have a half decent pre, I've used both Guitar Rig 3 and Amplitube 2 with great results. GR3 is a little more involved and has a lot more options, so if you really want to tweak, I'd go with that, vs. Amplitube which is a little more straight ahead (and hence, easier to use right out of the box) if you just need a quick rythm track or something.

Remember, if it sounds good, it is good.
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knastratt View Post
Since we're in a clip loving society I'll attach some noises from the IsoBox. It's a project that stopped in mid air. All guitars are IsoBoxed. The clean fill guitar is from UniValve clean in. SM57, AMEK CIB w a tad of compression, no EQ - through a Lucid 9624. Some compression ITB and some mud removal. Lotsa Echo.

The tremeloed dirt guitar is the Dist channel of the Uni, same chain.

Conceptual drums, scratch takes here and there yada yada etc.

Before - no vocals
sounds good
Old 20th August 2008
Yeh, it does sound good. Too bad you didn't take that one to the end.
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

the fractal axe fx is all the rage on the boards at the gear page. of course, we all know how that goes. expensive pod or cancer cure? like to hear if anyone hear has taken it through the paces. i am always skeptical unless blended with some real air. luckily, i don't have this noise problem, and its nice to pop into ultrasound here if need be.

sounding the boards are always tough with amps and guitars as you never know what you're going to get with guitar players....
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

I know a guitar gear slut (not me) who had many booteek du jour guitar amps and sold them all once he got his Fractal set up for both live and recording. He's very stoked.

My SLO isn't going anywhere.
Old 20th August 2008
Here for the gear

I recently demoe-ed the Emerson Williams DarkBlue, which is a monster! Fabulous tone machine. It's next on my purchase list... Great guitar tones, definitely on a par with my Sequis Motherload. You can see it here: EMERSON WILLIAMS - Darkblue
Old 20th August 2008

Yes I had a quick play with that after checking out the Bluestone direct box... but I didn't have any time to check it out properly... Noticed plenty of thick harmonics though.

The designer said he was aiming more at the "bluesy" inclined players, hence the name...

The attack control was interesting
Old 20th August 2008
The Bluestone a great looking box - I always have to stop and admire it at trade shows..

I got send a hard to understand press release from Motherload..

The product may have been upgraded? Revamped?

I have attached it here.. if anyone can figure it out - please explain it to me!
Attached Files
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
The Bluestone a great looking box - I always have to stop and admire it at trade shows..

I got send a hard to understand press release from Motherload..

The product may have been upgraded? Revamped?

I have attached it here.. if anyone can figure it out - please explain it to me!
That appears to be the same box as the prototype I mentioned above.
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by latestflavor View Post
the fractal axe fx is all the rage on the boards at the gear page. of course, we all know how that goes. expensive pod or cancer cure? like to hear if anyone hear has taken it through the paces. i am always skeptical unless blended with some real air. luckily, i don't have this noise problem, and its nice to pop into ultrasound here if need be.

sounding the boards are always tough with amps and guitars as you never know what you're going to get with guitar players....
I have the Fractal Audio AXe FX, and I have used pretty much ever modeler out there. I can say with confidence that as of now, the Axe FX is the best modeler out there. And here is why.

- It sounds good to Great
- It is the deepest, most well thought out modeler
- It is very very flexible routing wise
- It feels the best to plug into
- The creators are super fast and consistent to keep updates and improvements going
It can act as just an EFX unit, in which the efx are great, from standard to very creative fx. It is starting to get picked up by some major players, if at least for efx only.

Sure, some of the presets are very pod worthy, but, dig in, and you can vastly take it to places no pod has been to before. You can load in custom impulse responces for cabs, which work very well.

If you go to the fractal audio website, you can hear user demos of them using it, some of them are just ok, and podish, some of them are really good. Its in the hands of the user to a certain extent, but I can say with confidence the potential is there. Heck people on forums with high dollar tube amps have sold them and use it now either FRFR, or as a pre-amp. Not that it is for anyone, but at least it deserves a serious nod. I know mine isn't going anywhere..

Here is a clip I did with the AXE FX when I first got it to test it outs, did these VERY quick. I have since been able to dial it in much better and now mainly use Custom IR's, not to mention they have improved the overall modeling as a whole.... so this is dated, but at least will give you an idea of some of the fx and sounds, all fx from the axe.

http://www.energiestudios.com/Files/...20Runabout.mp3

http://www.energiestudios.com/Files/...xe%20heavy.mp3 (the rthm gtr needs help on this one sound wise, sounds papery, but I like the lead sound), older clips done very fast.
Old 26th August 2008
Gear Head

amplitube2

I tried POD, Tonelab, Guitarrig 3, Revalver MKII, Amplitube2 etc. I liked the sound of Amplitube2 the best. With the greatriver preamp would be a good choice I think or an Avedis MA5 with DI.

The AXe FX sound nice too but more expensieve.
Old 26th August 2008
Gear Nut

The Axe-FX is the best direct solution that I've tried by a wide margin. I've used a POD, Amplitube, Guitar Rig, and Digitech. The Axe-FX is on another planet tone and feel-wise.

Another excellent solution is an Ultimate Attenuator. It's really a re-amper and does not compress and darken your tone like other passive attenuators. With the UA you can use any amp, cab, mic, pre etc. that you want.
Old 3rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Any news about the item that Thethrillfactor mention in this thread earlier?

Coming from a highly respected person like him, I am literally on the edge of my seat to find out what this is.
Old 3rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by preben View Post

Coming from a highly respected person like him, I am literally on the edge of my seat to find out what this is.
Yeah I was wondering. I should be on the floor in a few hours when I wake up.
Old 3rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Well, make sure you've got your Bluetooth with you - or whatever it is you young people use to send messages from everywhere - and KEEP US POSTED..!!!
Old 3rd October 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by preben View Post

Bump for peeder
Old 3rd October 2008
Gear Addict

Another vote for the Palmer PDI-03 or PGA-04. It's the closest you'll get to a mic'd cab/speaker. I haven't heard the Transducer, I imagine it sounds even better, as it should being 2x (3x) the price of the Palmer. So that depends upon your budget. Satriani did a whole album using the Palmer, Van Halen is also a Palmer user, although for live.
Old 3rd October 2008
Gear Addict

Review of the PDI-03:

Guitar Player : The Complete Electric Guitar Package

And in case anyone starts the usual debate about the PGA-04 vs the PDI-03, here's what the designer/manufacturer has to say:

JAMS Audio - Nashville, TN

"What is the difference between the PDI-03 and PGA-04 filter circuits?

The PGA-04 was my answer to customers asking for more versatility. Though you may read many different comments, the heart of the PGA-04 is the original filter circuit with the two switches replaced thru two potentiometers for a continuous control between the extreme positions of the switches."

"Please allow one (very last) comment about the PGA-04 vs. PDI-03 discussion.

The PDI-03 was a very simple to use piece of equipment. You couldn’t go wrong. With the more versatile PGA-04 you can produce some really weird sounds. But this does not mean that -as some people say- the PGA-04 is rubbish.

In case someone is telling you that, please charge him with twice the price for his PDI-03."

Also, anyone have a Roland/Boss GT-10? I've read some surprisingly great reviews about that product.
Old 4th October 2008
Lives for gear

Thing is though... the PDI-03 is NOT the best you can buy... it's one of a bunch of very good pieces of gear that does this particular job.

In my opinion the Palmer 3rd on a list which is topped by the Motherload, followed by the SPL Transducer - possibly with the SPL and the Palmer swopping places if you're recording mainly heavy stuff.

Bottom line, however, is that none of these sound like the real deal. They sound good - no doubt about it - but they do not sound like a mike on a 12" speaker.

Which brings us neatly to the alarming silence from Our Man In Frisco: I take it you didn't find out anything about the thethrillfactor-device at AES yesterday, Peeder..??
Old 4th October 2008
Lives for gear

I found what looks like a really great DI in development: from Brad Avenson, of the Avenson STO-2 fame.

(Brad is a truly wonderful guy, but I don't care about that, I like the products anyway )

Apparently he has found an interesting way of making a transformerless DI path, that nonetheless has not one but two transformers in it! I don't know if he wants me to share some details he told me about the design that are fascinating.

But I am definitely trying (and probably buying) one of those when they come out if you don't mind Mr. Thrillfactor.

Was that the same one you were thinking of? (doesn't sound like it)

(Oh and I love the Eventide Modfactor! :drool: Need one to match my Timefactor now...)
Old 5th October 2008
Gear Addict
I`ve tried the Boogie Recto Pre and it`s predecessor Formula Pre ... semi usable for a narrow range of sounds .
I prefer the Lexicon Signature 284 pre ... which is actually a 2x4watt power amp with XLR outs and a tube effects loop .
I still can`t break out of the old school speaker on a mic ...feel your fingers comfort zone .
Can`t do POD,plug-ins ...guess I`m too old school . More power to those who can . BUT ... I`m wide open to trying out these new boxes .
In the meantime ... Rivera has developed a new Isocab that adresses the standing waves problems of a closed box (so they say !) It`s called the Silent Sister

Silent Sister-Isolation Cabinet w/pressure relief
Old 5th October 2008
Gear Addict

I think no one mentioned "Vintage Amp Room" by Softube.
Softube

... they say it is the best software of it's kind soundwise, but is kinda limited in features ... but don't they say things like this everytime? ;-)
Have not tried it by myself ...
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search