The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A Designs Pacifica Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 26th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
. . . Peter and Lisa Montessi. They have this incredible way of making everyone they meet feel like they are part of their extended family.
Yeah, but now that you have said this, we are all going to go up and talk to them. They will be mobbed at AES. In fact, I am planning to have dinner with them. Haven't met them yet. I am going to be their friend. They won't thank you.
Old 3rd November 2008
Gear Addict

Pacifica upgrade

Would the Pacifica be an hugh upgrade to the prism Sound Orpheus preamps which I've got right now?

How much differents would there be?
Old 3rd November 2008
IMHO I think a Pacifica will improve the sound of your recordings by many many inches... and sure have to be very high in your list !

You will get an more realistic/Pro sound with a World Class preamp.

Not only that, check all the different tone possibilities you can have, Pad in/Pad out and an amazing DI.

I have many others great Pre's but overall the quality and consistency of the Pacifica in any source and the amazing sound that delivers for Vocal Recording would make the Pacifica my Fav Preamp to suggest to somebody that is going to have their first serious piece .
And very important Peter and the people at A Designs simply are THE BEST!
Old 7th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL View Post
IMHO I think a Pacifica will improve the sound of your recordings by many many inches... and sure have to be very high in your list !

You will get an more realistic/Pro sound with a World Class preamp.

Not only that, check all the different tone possibilities you can have, Pad in/Pad out and an amazing DI.

I have many others great Pre's but overall the quality and consistency of the Pacifica in any source and the amazing sound that delivers for Vocal Recording would make the Pacifica my Fav Preamp to suggest to somebody that is going to have their first serious piece .
And very important Peter and the people at A Designs simply are THE BEST!
+1thumbsup
Old 13th April 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
So I'm in the market for a preamp. I'm thinking about the A Designs Pacifica.
Of those of you who own / have used them, what do you like about them, what do you dislike about them?

Love the sound.
Love the construction and attention to detail of the box.
Love the ease of use.

Sometimes I dislike that there are no detents on the gain.

Favorite Uses?
Love it on vocals and acoustic guitar.
Hell anything that is acoustic in nature it just sounds amazing on.

Things that absolutely didn't work?
So far, nothing comes to mind, but I have yet to record bag pipes with it. :-)

How hot does the unit get (temperature)?
My Pacifica is in a rack with nothing over the top or bottom.
So I have never had a problem with heat dissipation.

Any other info you can provide would be great!
It's a really good sounding box.
Couple it with the REDDI and it records bass equally as well as vocals.
Add the Hammer and for the "hard to cut" vocalist with harsh midrange you can go in and "fix it to tape.

Trust me. You'll love it.
Hi tony,

Do you think that the Pacifica could be the right preamp to track acoustic instruments (especially ac.guitar and piano) for Jack Johnson-style record?
Thanks
Old 13th April 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM - Ronan View Post
Yes. Yes. This is absolutely true. You are talking about me here, and I agree completely. Double blind testing is the only valid way to evaluate a subjective impression of a piece of gear (sorry, I have a degree in Psychology with an emphasis on testing and quantitative analysis), but it is very very true. Its human nature to let the result we "want", to inform our testing experience. I have even set up non-blind tests where people were evaluating two pieces of gear and they had a clear idea of which one they liked better. I would then re-do the test switch but switch the labels and the listener would come to the complete opposite concussion. The test subjects were multi platinum engineers.

I really like A Designs gear, and even though its apparently not proper to say it any more I really like the people that run the company. On top of that its really easy to google my name and find many instances of me saying nice stuff about the company, so for some one like me its incredibly important that I do double blind testing, because I do not want my affections for the company or my own ego to get in the way of my objective listening experience.

You can ask anyone that has been through one of my Home Recording Boot Camp workshops, that I stress the value of double blind testing, just for these reasons (and also that we will really want the new expensive toy to beat what we already owned). I teach a method for setting up double blind testing and we usually actually do a bit of it in the workshop. Its always fun and a bit nerve racking, especially when a student brings in a cheaper piece of gear and we shoot it out with my more expensive stuff. But there are have some times when a cheap mic beats a mic costing 10 times as much, or sometimes we find way less variation between two pieces of gear than we expected (so much so that we set up the test again to re-check the results.)

If any one was bored enough to go back and look at all the "hype" I have done about the Pacifica is usually boils down to this.

+There are tons of great pres on the market, but I really like the sound of the Pacifica for my personal taste.

+When I do double blind testing on various sources with other mic pres, the Pacifica does not always win, but it has never come in anything worse a very close second.

+In double blind shoot outs with other mic pres, I have often been surprised by the result when the Pacifica handily beat other pres in way that I did not expect.

+The way the sound changes with the pad switch is really cool and offers a greater degree of flexibility, almost like owning two separate pre amps.

+In my experience that Pacifica sounds good to great on everything I have tried it on, so I know I can worry less about mic pres and more about the music.
Hi Ronan,
I need I stereo preamp for acoustic instruments, especially acoustic guitar and piano for a Jack Johnson/style singer-songwriter. With my budget I've found in the used market a Pacifica and a Flamingo. In your opinion which should I buy? I've read you have experience with booth...
Thanks
Old 13th April 2015
Gear Maniac

ADesigns pres are the greatest! I also use the REDDI on all my pedal steel overdubs on CDs and TV. I can be heard on steel using the REDDI on Hawaii 5-0 on many episodes!!!!
Old 13th April 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
This is my experience too ... It may be good for some use, but to talk about it as a "detailed, full sounding preamp etc."surprises me and may be true only in case one has not heard such a real preamp yet ... Pacifica has a substantial boost in HF, a bit scooped mids and somehow lacks a natural 3D feeling ... (sounds a bit 2D). Maybe this is something which is supposed to remind some vintage sounding brother, but for a general use I would much prefer fuller, more detailed and more balanced sounding preamps.
Hello
I need I stereo preamp for acoustic instruments, especially acoustic guitar and piano for a Jack Johnson/style singer-songwriter. With my budget I've found in the used market a Pacifica and a Flamingo. In your opinion which should I buy? I've read you have experience with booth... And I'll use the Voxbox for vocals, so I need to find the best matching
Old 13th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeHappy View Post
Hello
I need I stereo preamp for acoustic instruments, especially acoustic guitar and piano for a Jack Johnson/style singer-songwriter. With my budget I've found in the used market a Pacifica and a Flamingo. In your opinion which should I buy? I've read you have experience with booth... And I'll use the Voxbox for vocals, so I need to find the best matching
I think there is a thread out there with clips of both on a monchord, and they both sound great. I prefer the Pacifica because it's so musical. IMO you can probably do without the Flamingo, but it's always good to have options. Either will sound great.
Old 14th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Ronan,
I need I stereo preamp for acoustic instruments, especially acoustic guitar and piano for a Jack Johnson/style singer-songwriter. With my budget I've found in the used market a Pacifica and a Flamingo. In your opinion which should I buy? I've read you have experience with booth...
Thanks
The good news is that you will not go wrong with either of them. I did quite a bit of A/B testing between the two several years back and remember preferring the Pacifica by a hair. From what I remember the low end seemed a focused in a way on the Pacifica that I preferred over the Flamingo. (but i came very close to buying a Flamingo)
Old 14th April 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
The good news is that you will not go wrong with either of them. I did quite a bit of A/B testing between the two several years back and remember preferring the Pacifica by a hair. From what I remember the low end seemed a focused in a way on the Pacifica that I preferred over the Flamingo. (but i came very close to buying a Flamingo)
Do you think that the Pacifica is the right choice also considering the kind of music that I'm going to record? I use to see the Pacifica be used by a lot of rock-guys (like you ) but I need a stereo preamp for a full acoustic songwriting project.
Old 14th April 2015
Lives for gear

The preamp doesn't care what "type" of music you're making. Of course it would work, as would a long list of others.
Old 14th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you think that the Pacifica is the right choice also considering the kind of music that I'm going to record? I use to see the Pacifica be used by a lot of rock-guys (like you ) but I need a stereo preamp for a full acoustic songwriting project.
The Pacifica is my primary mic pre for singer-songwriter projects as well as Jazz. I was just using them for string and brass overdubs on an album this week.
Old 14th April 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
The Pacifica is my primary mic pre for singer-songwriter projects as well as Jazz. I was just using them for string and brass overdubs on an album this week.
My A-Design Pacifica is just arrived and I've done a quick test. I'm very impressed by the top end, very smooth and creamy. In complex it sounds like a kind of modern 1073 with faster transients and a tight low end. I didn't find that high-boost, I recorded an acoustic guitar with a 414 and I had to add a bit of high-freq... The sound is solid and fast like an API but to my ears it sounds more neve-ish because of its creamy and full top end.
Old 15th April 2015
Gear Maniac

I'm a believer I have the pacifica and it sounds great with everything I've thrown at it !
Old 15th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ronan - Do you use the Pacifica for Jazz vocals or to record Jazz acoustic instruments - or both? I'm looking for a preamp for female jazz vocals and I have been thinking tubes -- but maybe not?
Old 15th April 2015
Gear Addict

+1
I do a lot of hip hop and R&B, I use pacificas on nearly every project. I have choices but choose the pacifica.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Laborer View Post
The preamp doesn't care what "type" of music you're making. Of course it would work, as would a long list of others.
Old 15th April 2015
Quote:
the Pacifica shines on acoustic. Hit the pad, dial the gain all the way up and you get some really special warmth and a hair of saturation that really makes acoustic sound great.
Old 16th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
Ronan - Do you use the Pacifica for Jazz vocals or to record Jazz acoustic instruments - or both? I'm looking for a preamp for female jazz vocals and I have been thinking tubes -- but maybe not?
Yes. I have not recorded a jazz vocal record in a while, but it would be the first mic pre I would try if I was working on one (or I might reach for the slightly more detailed Ventura).
Old 16th May 2015
Gear Maniac

I use the A-Designs Pacifica on a lot of applications it's great . You won't be disapointed when using it. The tracks you record are very easy to mix . Lot of punch and a beutiful high end .
Old 16th May 2015
Quote:
Would the Pacifica be an hugh upgrade to the prism Sound Orpheus preamps which I've got right now?
Absolutely. The Prism pres are fine but not musically inspiring. I owned an Orpheus for years and never used the pres for anything. In a pinch I would but if you have a rack with Pacifica or other boutique choices, all day long that.
Old 7th November 2016
Here for the gear
A Designs Audio "Pacifica" on Overheads Sample.

Hey all,

Just wanted to chime in and let everyone know my current experiences with the Pacifica. Its amazing!

I own a remote drum studio in LA. Ive played on tons of major records and am a huge gear nut. I care a lot about the quality of tracks im putting out, so the gear is always important.

I recently starting using the Pacifica on my Overheads. Its made such a HUGE difference to my overall sound. The preamp has really opened up my tone options and has made the spread of my kit sound much wider than it did before. Even with the same mic positioning. Its very warm and can be pushed to get the super crunchy 70s thing. It especially helps to have the ATTY on the output so you can control the input drive and get the tasty harmonic distortion.

Its very simply to use and its almost virtually impossible to pull a bad sound with this thing. I highly recommend it!

I've attached a raw audio sample of the Pacifica on my AKG 314 Overheads.

Thanks,

Mike.
Attached Thumbnails
A Designs Pacifica-pacifica.jpg  
Attached Files

pacifica raw.mp3 (2.25 MB, 1550 views)

Last edited by Mike Avenaim; 7th November 2016 at 04:35 AM.. Reason: adding attachement
Old 7th November 2016
Gear Nut

Great sounds

That's an excellent recording
Old 7th November 2016
Here for the gear
Thanks very much!
Old 22nd November 2016
Here for the gear

Very rad. I'm a fan of the vintage vibe you're getting.
Old 27th November 2016
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyletroop View Post
Very rad. I'm a fan of the vintage vibe you're getting.
Thank you very much. These pres help a ton with that.
Old 27th November 2016
Lives for gear

That sound good what are the mic and audio interface that you are using.

Thank you.
Old 27th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmchh View Post
Hey all,

Just wanted to chime in and let everyone know my current experiences with the Pacifica. Its amazing!

I own a remote drum studio in LA. Ive played on tons of major records and am a huge gear nut. I care a lot about the quality of tracks im putting out, so the gear is always important.

I recently starting using the Pacifica on my Overheads. Its made such a HUGE difference to my overall sound. The preamp has really opened up my tone options and has made the spread of my kit sound much wider than it did before. Even with the same mic positioning. Its very warm and can be pushed to get the super crunchy 70s thing. It especially helps to have the ATTY on the output so you can control the input drive and get the tasty harmonic distortion.

Its very simply to use and its almost virtually impossible to pull a bad sound with this thing. I highly recommend it!

I've attached a raw audio sample of the Pacifica on my AKG 314 Overheads.

Thanks,

Mike.
Hey sounds great I have to disclose I am an A Designs fan. Having met Mr. Montessi personally even more so .
I got the impression he is really committed to producing high value products.
I own and love the MP2A pre.
Old 3rd December 2016
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone View Post
That sound good what are the mic and audio interface that you are using.

Thank you.
Hey,

What youre hearing is just eh AKG c314 going through the Pacifica and an HD Native card to 192 Converters.
Old 3rd December 2016
500 series nutjob

yea i I have to disclose as well, I am still an A Designs fan!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search