The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A Designs Pacifica Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 10th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
There is nothing wrong with them being your friends, we all need more friends, i was talking about the hype of them in so many A Designs threads, thats all.
Nobody here has a vested interest in "hyping" A Designs. These are their honest responses after having experienced their products — people get excited by good experiences with people and respond in kind. BTW, the best feature of the Pacifica beyond its sound is Peter Montessi.

-B-
Old 10th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backhousepro View Post
the best feature of the Pacifica beyond its sound is Peter Montessi.

-B-
Honest, please forgive me..... why does his name get mentioned as much as A Designs besides this person/wife being super nice people and i assume they are A Designs designer/founder ? I can see the HYPE on the product but the person(s) it just seems a little overboard as much as it gets mentioned, thats all.....Im sure these people are super great, but there is a 1 in 1,0000.00 chance that i would ever meet them, so its a little hard for me to grasph. You guys live on the other side of the world from me.
Old 10th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Honest, please forgive me..... why does his name get mentioned as much as A Designs besides this person/wife being super nice people and i assume they are A Designs designer/founder ? I can see the HYPE on the product but the person(s) it just seems a little overboard as much as it gets mentioned, thats all.....Im sure these people are super great, but there is a 1 in 1,0000.00 chance that i would ever meet them, so its a little hard for me to grasp. You guys live on the other side of the world from me.
1 in 1000? That's funny.

You live in the Carolina's don't you?
Go to New York next year for AES.
You can meet all the guys on boutique row.

David Bock, David Pearlman, Paul Wolff, Peter Montessi, Avedis, Daking, Massenburg...

Hell, the list goes on and on.
Old 10th September 2008
Quote:
Honest, please forgive me..... why does his name get mentioned as much as A Designs
Let me answer that with a question. Why does this matter so much to you?

I notice that you're hyping John McCain — someone I assume you also haven't met or had any dealings with, yet there's this big quote at the bottom of your page — and I'm pretty sure McCain never made a decent preamp in his life, so what does hyping him have to do with the sound of gear?

But I will grant you this, McCain is right — I'm going to stand up, stand up for what I believe in, and FIGHT for our right to praise Peter Montessi openly in this forum!!! Peter Rules! God may be able to make a tree, but only Peter can make a Pacifica!!!!

-B-
Old 10th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
The P-1s will always win my heart, as to the rest of the line, well i have not tasted it yet.......gun shy
I are you implying that you have never owned a Pacifica? I seem to remember something different.
Old 10th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
1 in 1000? That's funny.

David Bock, David Pearlman, Paul Wolff, Peter Montessi, Avedis, Daking, Massenburg...

Hell, the list goes on and on.
Yep, Tony is totally correct. All these guys are very accessible and I've had the pleasure of meeting them multiple times or seeing them speak or give demos at TapeOpCon, AES, and/or NAMM. They are all very nice, personable people willing to talk with you about their products or music. And most importantly they are passionate about their craft.

I actually just saw every one of those guys (except for Avedis) at the Audio Underground Roadshow last weekend. I talked about miking techniques and the sonic benefits of elliptical capsules with David Bock and discussed the glory of blinding blue LED's with Peter Montessi. It was great!

I think a couple other people have touched on why they are so fond of A Designs gear...it's the people behind the gear: Peter and Lisa Montessi. They have this incredible way of making everyone they meet feel like they are part of their extended family. They are not some money-hungry faceless corporation trying to squeeze pennies out of the consumer. They are people that love music, believe in their products and the value of American labor, and go out of their way to help people both as customers and people. How many businesses can you call up and get advice about which preamp to buy and where to take your girlfriend for her birthday. It's hard not to want to support people like that.

Brad
Old 10th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3k View Post
There seems to be quite a few people close to A-designs here on the board, and it happens that some of those people are bouncing off the walls recommending that equipment. It seems the type who would harp on about double blind being the only objective path, would have to concede bias of some sort.
Yes. Yes. This is absolutely true. You are talking about me here, and I agree completely. Double blind testing is the only valid way to evaluate a subjective impression of a piece of gear (sorry, I have a degree in Psychology with an emphasis on testing and quantitative analysis), but it is very very true. Its human nature to let the result we "want", to inform our testing experience. I have even set up non-blind tests where people were evaluating two pieces of gear and they had a clear idea of which one they liked better. I would then re-do the test switch but switch the labels and the listener would come to the complete opposite concussion. The test subjects were multi platinum engineers.

I really like A Designs gear, and even though its apparently not proper to say it any more I really like the people that run the company. On top of that its really easy to google my name and find many instances of me saying nice stuff about the company, so for some one like me its incredibly important that I do double blind testing, because I do not want my affections for the company or my own ego to get in the way of my objective listening experience.

You can ask anyone that has been through one of my Home Recording Boot Camp workshops, that I stress the value of double blind testing, just for these reasons (and also that we will really want the new expensive toy to beat what we already owned). I teach a method for setting up double blind testing and we usually actually do a bit of it in the workshop. Its always fun and a bit nerve racking, especially when a student brings in a cheaper piece of gear and we shoot it out with my more expensive stuff. But there are have some times when a cheap mic beats a mic costing 10 times as much, or sometimes we find way less variation between two pieces of gear than we expected (so much so that we set up the test again to re-check the results.)

If any one was bored enough to go back and look at all the "hype" I have done about the Pacifica is usually boils down to this.

+There are tons of great pres on the market, but I really like the sound of the Pacifica for my personal taste.

+When I do double blind testing on various sources with other mic pres, the Pacifica does not always win, but it has never come in anything worse a very close second.

+In double blind shoot outs with other mic pres, I have often been surprised by the result when the Pacifica handily beat other pres in way that I did not expect.

+The way the sound changes with the pad switch is really cool and offers a greater degree of flexibility, almost like owning two separate pre amps.

+In my experience that Pacifica sounds good to great on everything I have tried it on, so I know I can worry less about mic pres and more about the music.
Old 10th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
1 in 1000? That's funny.

yes, thats 17 hrs away from me, long long drive. Why not Atlanta ? its in my back yard, Atlanta not big enough? Looks huge to me.
rcm yes i have had a pacifica before, i like the 500 series better, only wished Hardy would make one soon.
I guess what im trying to say is, when API is mentioned of the forums its API, when Avedis is mentioned its Avedis, when A Designs is mentioned its the product plus Peter as a add on, again i have no idea who Peter is and have not met him as well, its all good that if you want to mentioned them, i do find it odd most every time though......sorry.
Everytime i talk about a Neumann mics the word George does not come across my mind must less mention George in the forums. When i stay at a Hilton Hotel i don't mention Paris either
its all good though because the product is great, sometimes i wonder should i by another P-1 or Peter or Paul ?
Old 10th September 2008
Lives for gear

yeah, you said that already.
Old 10th September 2008
Quote:
when A Designs is mentioned its the product plus Peter as a add on, again i have no idea who Peter is and have not met him as well, its all good that if you want to mentioned them, i do find it odd most every time though......sorry.
Okay, I'm not trying be facetious or combative — I mention this because in text you can't hear my inflection: There is no answer to your question. This is about human chemistry, karma, X-factor, or call it whatever you like. It's simply a phenomenon based on who Peter is and how people respond to him. Suffice to say that he has a quality about him that engenders this response, and quite frankly, isn't it a wonderful thing that there are still people like this walking the planet? I think we have enough self-serving egotistic bastards in the world stealing the limelight.

Also, the comparison with Paris Hilton is inappropriate. She had nothing to do with building the Hilton hotels or servicing them (well at least not in the domestic sense). If would apply if you were talking about Conrad Hilton. And I image that those treated kindly by Conrad would look for opportunities to mention it in the context of the hotel (it's a human thing).

If all this is because you're feeling left out, my advice is to stop pouting on the sidelines and get in the game — find a way to meet Peter (as Tony and Brad say, it's not hard) and become part of the family — I know that Peter will welcome you as he has the rest of us who feel privileged to know him. (See what I mean? I just can't stop myself) Even if you don't, isn't it comforting to know that there's a guy out there making great gear that's nicer than Paris Hilton . . . (maybe not as hot, but definitely nicer.)

-B-
Old 10th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backhousepro View Post
If all this is because you're feeling left out, my advice is to stop pouting on the sidelines and get in the game — find a way to meet Peter (as Tony and Brad say, it's not hard) and become part of the family — I know that Peter will welcome you as he has the rest of us who feel privileged to know him. (See what I mean? I just can't stop myself) Even if you don't, isn't it comforting to know that there's a guy out there making great gear that's nicer than Paris Hilton . . . (maybe not as hot, but definitely nicer.)

-B-
No i don't feel left out about not meeting him, im just that type of person. Gear is most important rather than the person that makes it, Only thing i feel left out is all the gear that i will never be able to afford or even try out, you just cannot afford everything you know, well some can, you did make a great point in your post but its still hard to see this w/o experiencing first hand. But aren't they plenty of great people in the audio industry just as nice as Peter?, i have met a few. Im gonna lay this issue to rest but in closing you do realize that they are only a hand full on this forum that mention A Design with Peters name attached, i assume they are the ones that have met him ? and got that free dinner, desert etc. < just kidding.
Old 10th September 2008
Quote:
Everytime i talk about a Neumann mics the word George does not come across my mind must less mention George in the forums. When i stay at a Hilton Hotel i don't mention Paris either
And neither of them would probably give you the time of day just because you use their products (unless it was to wave at you as they headed towards their limo), hence the difference.
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

This has reached ridiculous...

At this point, the complainers are perpetuating this "conspiracy" AS MUCH as the people they are complaining about!

And as for the oh-so-mature line of thinking, "with all this kind of praise, it turns me off of the product..."

Huh? !!!

Are you just TOO cool, a big rebel you? Cut off your nose to spite your face?

In THAT case, what is really driving your decision, the gear or your own hang-ups? I doubt you'd be a serious buyer anyway.

If you were (a real buyer), why wouldn't you look into a piece of gear that many people who are highly qualified and could buy or use anything (and do) that highly recommend a piece of gear?

Are you not interested in a 1073? Chances are you've had the itch and part of that is from this place.

Ever get turned on to an Alan Smart C2 or get into the of idea an SSL G384?

How about Inward Connections Vac Rac?

How about a Germanium?

How about a Purple MC77?

How about a Dave Pearlman TM-1?

I think you'd find many of the same people supporting one or many of the above gear.

Some with great customer service, guys like Dave Pearlman of Steve or Inward (to name a few), some just recommends as great gear, both new and old.

ALL part of the culture of this forum, either take it for what it is or don't and stop pissing in the wind.

GROW UP PEOPLE!

Take in the info or don't, but don't single out just one because I can find equally "offensively" enthusiastic threads on ANY piece of gear.

-andrews
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I guess what im trying to say is, when API is mentioned of the forums its API, when Avedis is mentioned its Avedis, when A Designs is mentioned its the product plus Peter as a add on, again i have no idea who Peter is and have not met him as well, its all good that if you want to mentioned them, i do find it odd most every time though......sorry.
Not to nitpick, but Avedis is just Avedis...that's his name. He's one guy. And a very smart and nice one too, who always will go out of his way to talk to you about audio, life, circuit design, whatever.

I know there are a few guys around here that agree with me...I feel when you stumble upon a mom and pop operation that actually wants to help you create music (on a personal level), then it doesn't seem to be so painful when you have to save up for 6 months and shell out $3k on one of their products. I feel that if I support those people, then they continue to afford their mortgage and create interesting sounding equipment and the audio world is a better place. It's hard to say the same about big conglomerates like Sennheiser or Harmon, etc.

Brad
Old 11th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
I feel that if I support those people, then they continue to afford their mortgage and create interesting sounding equipment and the audio world is a better place.

Brad
Very good post Brad, i had no idea they were that small....yikes, i also had no idea Avedis was a name of the person as well. Why does no one talk about the well renown API people, they (to big/to old ?), are those guys jerks ? Im almost sure all high end engineers has the 512 or 3124, and tons use the 2500 and the 525.
As for rcm question a few back, in my case the P-1s are cheaper than the Pacifica and get the job done just the same.
As for Dirtys response, well he's hot under the collar right now and i think he is referring to post 210 and 211 mainly.
Thanks for the info.
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Very good post Brad, i had no idea they were that small....yikes, i also had no idea Avedis was a name of the person as well. Why does no one talk about the well renown API people, they (to big/to old ?), are those guys jerks ? Im almost sure all high end engineers has the 512 or 3124, and tons use the 2500 and the 525.
As for rcm question a few back, in my case the P-1s are cheaper than the Pacifica and get the job done just the same.
As for Dirtys response, well he's hot under the collar right now and i think he is referring to post 210 and 211 mainly.
Thanks for the info.
Avedis was actually at API, if I remember my history right. He left because he felt they were not making the best products that he knew they COULD. He was (or is) at Brent Averill, another good one.

Good guy. Good designer.

Ian at Boutique Audio is another

I am not hot-under-the-collar, just calling out what I see, which seems to be pretty petty and absurd.

Read my past post within this thread and you will see nothing but cool-headed positive comments and a diplomatic approach to the subject.

-andrews

P.S. Your sinature line is ironic. I believe many of the people are doing just what you suggest, but being reprimanded for it.
Old 11th September 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
Avedis was actually at API, if I remember my history right. He left because he felt they were not making the best products that he knew they COULD.
Avedis did not work at API.
Old 11th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Avedis did not work at API.
This should add at least another page to this thread.
Old 11th September 2008
AB3
Lives for gear

In the U.S you can vote at the polls and with your money. So I choose to vote for people like when I buy gear. Fortunately, most manufacturers are good people. Peter of A Designs is TOP NOTCH and ALL his products are good. Why? Because of who he is.
Same for many other boutique manufacturers.

If they wanted to make big bucks the easy way, they would not be manufacturer these specialty items where a bunch of people judge every nuance of what they do on a daily basis.

Just like music. How many parents tell their kids - you better play music if you want to make money. Give me a break.

Peter, Dave Pearlman, Jim Demeter, Mike at Wunder, etc. etc. you can talk to a lot of these guys person to person and get personal service. They get my vote. And my list is too short and misses a lot of good people. Oh yeah, forgot Fred Forssell. Now I would like to be at an Italian restaurant with all these guys. Probably North Beach in San Francisco would do. Of course, I would want Peter to do the ordering.
Old 11th September 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Why does no one talk about the well renown API people, they (to big/to old ?), are those guys jerks ?
the last time i mentioned Larrys name ( API ), i got this

Quote:
Originally Posted by infopimpster View Post
Love how the insiders like to taunt us that they have the inside info, but don't share it.
Is that for some sort of "im super cool" status or something?
i think Larry is a great guy, very easy to chat with, and i find a bit comical as well, but no matter, if you do, or do not ( mention the people behind ), it seems you get ripped buy someone: (~

i have personal praised the service people of more products then i can count, products already mentioned.
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think the well known API guy is Paul Wolf, who is Tonelux now. So, yeah, people do talk about him too.

Brad
Old 11th September 2008
Gear Maniac

I'm often impressed with the people behind boutique audio gear. I keep having great experiences. I had a minor problem with a BAE312. So I called 'em up. Avedis answered and said, "Have you got a screw driver handy?" A minor problem with a Purple MC77 and they said the same thing. Problems were resolved in 1 - 24 hours. There are a lot of great folks who offer this kind of attention. Of course, if they didn't, we'd trash 'em and they wouldn't sell squat. But, see, then I talk about Montessi and I do get carried away. The guy does hold his own status. For example, I was buying a new MP-2 on ebay. Since they were really new, I'd been emailing this guy named Montessi at A-Designs and pestering him with questions. When I told him I'd finally pulled the trigger, he had some concerns about whether the seller was legit. Their ebay name was different than their dealer name. Montessi personally contacted the seller to trace ownership and confirm that it was new. He warrantied the unit regardless. He went way out of his way to keep me informed. As it turns out, the unit was new and has been flawless for a couple years now. That's why I go on about Montessi. I admit it, its like a cult thing.
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyprs View Post
I admit it, its like a cult thing.
Well, as far as "cults" go, you could do FAR worse!

Happy to be a member myself...

Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
IFor example, I was buying a new MP-2 on ebay. Since they were really new, I'd been emailing this guy named Montessi at A-Designs and pestering him with questions. When I told him I'd finally pulled the trigger, he had some concerns about whether the seller was legit. Their ebay name was different than their dealer name. Montessi personally contacted the seller to trace ownership and confirm that it was new. He warrantied the unit regardless. He went way out of his way to keep me informed. As it turns out, the unit was new and has been flawless for a couple years now. That's why I go on about Montessi.
That's pretty outstanding.
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispick View Post
That's pretty outstanding.
And not the least bit surprising.
Old 13th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
But, see, then I talk about Montessi and I do get carried away. The guy does hold his own status. For example, I was buying a new MP-2 on ebay. Since they were really new, I'd been emailing this guy named Montessi at A-Designs and pestering him with questions. When I told him I'd finally pulled the trigger, he had some concerns about whether the seller was legit. Their ebay name was different than their dealer name. Montessi personally contacted the seller to trace ownership and confirm that it was new. He warrantied the unit regardless. He went way out of his way to keep me informed. As it turns out, the unit was new and has been flawless for a couple years now. That's why I go on about Montessi. I admit it, its like a cult thing.
Wonderful stuff.
It really is a pleasure to deal with people who show that level of commitment, on top of using the great gear they design.
That being true (no disrespect), I'd feel inspired to find out about all other A-Designs products that I still didn't have the chance to use.
We can never have enough of that in the Audio industry.
Old 25th September 2008
Lives for gear

If anyone is looking for one I got one brand new in the box. I'm going 500 series so will pick up a P1 instead. Make me an offer.

A-designs Pacifica (new) and Great River MP-2NV (used)

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 25th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by moink123 View Post
So I'm in the market for a preamp. I'm thinking about the A Designs Pacifica.

Of those of you who own / have used them, what do you like about them, what do you dislike about them? Favorite uses? Things that absolutely didn't work? How hot does the unit get (temperature)?

Any other info you can provide would be great! (Including suggestions - Budget is between $1500 and $2000, either single or dual channel, preamp or strip)
Getting back to your original question — when I finally got my Pacifica, after two years of waiting and reading reviews, I was concerned that it wouldn't live up to its reputation — that I wouldn't hear the magic everyone was talking about — but I did. Compared to my other pres, it was a revelation, and I no longer have to think about upgrading my preamp collection. But that doesn't really help you.

As far as heating is concerned, I haven't experienced a problem. It's not feature-rich, but I suspect the barebones, "just what you need and nothing else" design is why it sounds so good. If you need output attenuation, get an Atty2-D, which is also an amazing box in its ability to pass signal without degradation. I find it to be a perfect solution since it lets me have my Pacifica with the least amount of circuits in the signal path and high-quality attenuation if needed, though I haven't needed it yet.

My suggestion would be to order a Pacifica from one of the web stores that has a 45-day satisfaction return policy. Just make sure you don't scratch it and use an IEC cable that you've got lying around so hopefully, you won't have to pay a restocking fee. Put the Pacifica through its paces for a month and you'll have your answer.

Cheers,

The Backhouse
Old 25th September 2008
Lives for gear

Love that Pacifica and P-1. Great all-around pres. Musical but not overly colored. It doesn't put a tone-stamp on your sounds like a Neve or API. It's more open than that, while staying big. This is why P-1 or Pacifica work on almost any sound source.

I am proud and thankful that Peter signed me on as a dealer.

Good stuff!
Old 26th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
. . . I would then re-do the test switch but switch the labels and the listener would come to the complete opposite concussion.
Damn! What did you do? Hit them with the preamps?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search