The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A Designs Pacifica Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 7th September 2008
Lives for gear

No, it was not user name Peeder's opinion of the Pacifica that started all the fuss, it was him making some incorrect statements about a few folks from LA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
If you actually look carefully, it's just three or four guys from LA who endorse the products and/or have business dealings with the Montessi's (e.g. "Pete's Place Audio") that are responsible for 99% of the A-Designs hype around here. A couple years ago they seemed to be able to booster the products unchallenged, someone challenged them (albeit inartfully) and was actually banned for doing so (but they are back participating anyway).

I think the boosters are actually doing the products a disservice with the hype, a few months after that the classifieds section here was thick with Pacificas etc. from people who grew disillusioned with them.

The products aren't bad at all...they might be a bit overpriced, but not too bad. But they certainly don't live up to the do-no-wrong reality distortion field this handful of characters tries to create around them.

No A-Designs product is comparable to any Crane Song product...total different levels there. I see the A-Designs brand as being about fun...cool colors to scribble with...but Crane Song (and other truly high-end manufacutrers) are more about serious work.

I wish the boosters would let the brand be about fun rather than trying to intimidate any critics of it.
ps
Back on the fun of mic pres. If you are testing the Pacifica vs other pre amps, don't forget to test with both pad switch in and pad switch out. It really changes the character of the pre. I tend to use it with the pad switch in most of the time which actually emphasize the mids.
Old 7th September 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
No, it was not user name Peeder's opinion of the Pacifica that started all the fuss, it was him making some incorrect statements about a few folks from LA:
as mentioned
and some of us that are not from LA

LA VERDAD i must say just so their is no confusion here.

it is peeder's slanderous comments not his choices in gear that have ben cause for issue.

Quote:
slander n. oral defamation, in which someone tells one or more persons an untruth about another which untruth will harm the reputation of the person defamed. Slander is a civil wrong (tort) and can be the basis for a lawsuit.

SLANDER, torts. The defaming a man in his reputation by speaking or writing words which affect his life, office, or trade, or which tend to his loss of preferment in marriage or service, or in his inheritance, or which occasion any other particular damage. Law of Nisi Prius, 3. In England, if slander be spoken of a peer, or other great man, it is called Scandalum Magnatum. Falsity and malice are ingredients of slander. Bac. Abr. Slander. Written or printed slanders are libels; see that word.
Old 8th September 2008
As to whether the Pacifica is scooped in the mids, no one has to guess. If you want to know, just measure it. Feed some full spectrum audio through it, and take spectra of the original and new one. If it has scooped mids, it will be pretty obvious.
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
Ask yourself this, why would a person have nearly 5,700 posts in 2 years???

Too much time, and no work.dfegad
I, for one, would like to thank Peeder for his many posts, including the ones that were responses to questions I had posted, which he invariably answered with knowledge and authority. If, as you suggest, he's not working, I (and many of us) have been the beneficiaries of his lack of employment. (I suspect, though, that he is fully employed.)

For the record, I own a Pacifica, and think that Peter M is a swell guy.

(Hey, Peeder -- what's with the Brezhnev photo?)
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
User Name "Peeder", I know its probably ridiculous for me to troll bait with you, but through out this thread you are making comments that bring into questions both my professional character and the sincerity of my contribution to the Gear Slutz community. This is not only personally insulting, but potentially damaging, in some small way, to me professionally. Since I have a small side business that does recording training and consulting (note my sig file), people getting the impression that my advice is not authentic is damaging to my professional rep.
Absolutely not Ronan. Only an idiot will buy bull **** from anonymous dentists.
You've always been genuine and constructive as far as I'm concerned... keep it coming mate.
My opinion about the Pacifica is very much like yours on your first post, but I guess there's no point leaving any details why, considering the state of this thread. I'm glad I'm not from LA... stike
Old 8th September 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
Ask yourself this, why would a person have nearly 5,700 posts in 2 years???

Too much time, and no work.dfegad
Agreed!
I do a lot of reading but not much posting. Peerder is everywhere mixing it up with unprovoked slating of people or products. I be honest, I'm sick of seeing him chime in now. 5700 post in 2 years! He surely can't have time left to gain genuine experience with these products because he lives on GS all the time.
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by infosponge View Post
Agreed!
I do a lot of reading but not much posting. Peerder is everywhere mixing it up with unprovoked slating of people or products. I be honest, I'm sick of seeing him chime in now. 5700 post in 2 years! He surely can't have time left to gain genuine experience with these products because he lives on GS all the time.
True.
Christ Peeder joined GS 4 months after me. I visit and try to contribute to GS regularly but I wouldn't even nearly have time to post that many times, I'm far too busy working with gear.
Why can't Peeder just comment on his personal experience with gear without dragging the product itself and/or other professionals through the dirt?
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn View Post
True.
Christ Peeder joined GS 4 months after me. I visit and try to contribute to GS regularly but I wouldn't even nearly have time to post that many times, I'm far too busy working with gear.
Why can't Peeder just comment on his personal experience with gear without dragging the product itself and/or other professionals through the dirt?
I think he originally did, but found that he wasn't getting enough responses. So he went the tried and tested route. And it worked.
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
I think he originally did, but found that he wasn't getting enough responses. So he went the tried and tested route. And it worked.
I don`t think he did anything more than voice his suspicions that some of the Pacifica fans had ties to the company that makes them. And indeed Pan60 , RCM and Tony Shepperd do - and they are very open about it. But they receive no money or rebates on the products - they use them because they like them.

So Peeder was wrong in his assumtions (and perhaps a little crass in his wording) but this reaction he`s getting now is a little over the top , IMHO.

if he had worded it as a question instead of an accusation it might have been easier to swallow for the guys "on trial". (I`m not shure though - I remember a thread where someone asked what Fletcher had been up to in the studio -- boy did that get taken in stride! )

hey Peeder , I hope you won ´t leave GS over this .

Thomas
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

Are you guys getting crazy ? Maybe you could also find out that peeder´s sister did not pass the exams last year and he was caught speeding 20km/h above the limit .. and in general he is not a very handsome guy and his dress is out of fashion (and not well ironed). It´s already close to that.

This Pacifica thing is nearing a very strange level of some highly fanatic sect, don´t you feel ? Which seems to be a little bit out of an idea of a nice professional informative discussion as one would expect in this forum (including personal sharing and experience and respecting experiences of others) .

(As I already wrote in the email to a friend): If someone mentions he did not much like Buzz preamp/Vipre/Pendulum or whatever, this information just passes without much attention. Someone else may write he quite liked it etc. and it just bubbles away.

But when the holy word Pacifica is uttered, big noise immediately occurs: a professional choir makes the atmosphere HOT and heavy with worship. And if some lost sheep dares to disturb the church service and indicates that he was actually not so much impressed, three pages of loud religious chants and praising the Holy Name will come quickly, just to forget about that hopeless blinded man who does not know the real values )) And if does not help, some special negative points must be quickly found on him: too much posts, heavy sins, murder attempt etc.

A bit weird and maybe time to mention it openly ...

My personal experience is: I basically don´t care about brands and names, I comment only the sound and results. Mine are actually quite "laboratory" conditions: the large set of various acoustic instruments that I am absolutely familiar with, my acoustically treated studio room, the same mics etc. So any new element (preamp, AD etc.) will indicate the change and its nature very clearly and quickly.

Last year, based on this unusual hype, I made the effort and expense and let Pacifica come here with big sincere enthusiastic expectations, I was almost sure I will just keep it. I must say that I was quite disappointed and it was one of the least impressive preamps I ever tried (quite contrasting with the ever present hype). Scooped in mids, hyped on HF, not much detailed and before all - very 2D sounding. For example the magnificent monochord sounded almost like a "balalaika" through it etc. In that period, so many preamps came through here (Millennia, Crookwood, Flamingo, DAV, DW Fearn, Pendulum MDP-1 etc. etc.) so the picture was quite focused.
Just my true, personal, highly subjective experience, nothing more and nothing less - does not mean much in general, but please, do not deprive me (or anyone else) of my/his right to have my own experience and impression.

If someone asks me, I definitely would not recommend Pacifica for recording any acoustic instruments, if one expects full sounding, detailed, 3D results (as any of the preamps mentioned can basically provide).

But of course, everybody has different taste and for somebody and some purpose it can sound very nice ...
But if someone claims, that Pacifica sounds completely balanced and is not scooped at all ... well, the Goddess of Truth must be shaking in Heaven (and I don´t care about some artificial measurments - the real results are what counts).

Sorry for sharing the things so straight (without the usual level of decent politeness, which I always care for), but this hype and personal attacks on people who are not part of the worshiping rituals have gone too far I think ...

Even I was impressed by this hype, but fortunately had a lot of other devices (and some experience) to compare it with. But some less experienced people may not have that opportunity and think they got a holy grail ... and that nothing sounds better ever.

It is for sure very interesting quality preamp, but ...

I like quite a few things (Schoeps, Horch, Earlybird, SMP-2 preamp etc. etc.). If someone says that for him Schoeps sound boring, Earlybird too coloured, SMP-2 scooped - why shall I bother and start accusing him of various crimes ... Am I dependent on his opinion ? Or do I know things for myself and that´s why I remain in peace ? ... The syndrom of attacking others who do not share the same faith may sometimes happen when people are in fact so sure about their faith and people who do not share the same ideas, may be a bit disturbing,

That all said - I fully respect everybody´s experience which may be much better than mine (like mr. rcm and others). I just feel that if some things are a bit less hot, they may in the end appear more truthful ...

For sure, you can make great recordings with various equipment, but unless you compare it to using different equipment in the same conditions, it does not say much as such.
For example I recorded these songs on Digi 001 few years ago and it sounds quite nice:
http://savita.cz/index/odkazy/savita...munite%20a.mp3
http://savita.cz/index/odkazy/savita.../Eli%20Eli.mp3

etc. But it is quite likely that if I use different equipment, it may sound yet better ...

Now count my posts, check my bank transactions etc ... (after watching the movie Enemy of State) heh
Old 8th September 2008
Gear Guru

I like your post Thomas, maybe Peeder should have/ shouldn't have said what he did, i have read his prior post over the years, the man stands up for what he believes, you suppose to sound off like you got a pair, why be shy? Some people on here or on edge as well, and can be toppled by just a breath of air, so it can go both ways imo. I have always been stern about my feelings toward gear weather i like it or hate it and sometimes just down right change my mind after i have test drove it for a while, also some time i myself speak up about gear before i give it a true test drive. Again not taking up for anyone but i do like the part of being bold, stern and up front about the topic itself, besides i cannot be fake about it, but rather stand up like McCain stood in his past RNC speech, people need to stand up for what they believe, maybe peeder stood up like he always does. Is he too tall ?
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

I'm not from some Secret LA/A-Designs Conspiricy Consortium, I am simply endorsing the gear because I think it sounds excellent and has great build quality. The P-1 has replaced API 512 as my go-to everyday pre. And that's after 20 years of me leaning heavily on the API.
Old 8th September 2008
For the purpose of full disclosure, at the NAM show, Anaheim, CA, USA, 2006 - Peter Montessi bought me
1 x plate of spaghetti
1 x bottle of mineral water
1 x Tiramisu desert
1 x espresso coffee
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
For the purpose of full disclosure, at the NAM show, Anaheim, CA, USA, 2006 - Peter Montessi bought me
1 x plate of spaghetti
1 x Tiramisu desert
1 x espresso coffee
Peter Spaghetti, I mean, Montessi, is one of really good guys in this crazy business.
Old 8th September 2008
Gear Guru

JULES, speaking of a NAM show, i only wish i could attend one, i don't have the extra cash to travel 3 thousand miles to one, somehow they are always in Ca. NY is 17 hrs away from me as well, i have been in recording industry for 13 years and the video industry since 1985 and have yet to go to a show. :(
I only wish one would come to Atlanta, now thats only a 2 hr drive.
Old 8th September 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
1 x plate of spaghetti
1 x Tiramisu desert
1 x espresso coffee
now i feel left out i got no plate of spaghetti, no mineral water, no desert of any kind, and although espresso is not my thing, i could use a cup folgers ( double scoop, truck driver style ), i some how now feel abused.
are you on the take Jules?

i did get a buddy to grab me a T-shirt at a AES show once: )~
Old 8th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
...... My personal experience is: I basically don´t care about brands and names, I comment only the sound and results. Mine are actually quite "laboratory" conditions: the large set of various acoustic instruments that I am absolutely familiar with, my acoustically treated studio room, the same mics etc. So any new element (preamp, AD etc.) will indicate the change and its nature very clearly and quickly......
i think u r fooling yourself, big time. i have read here before that u dont bother to hide the results from yourself - so you know what piece of gear is what as you test it, and you dont record the identical performance with 2 of the same mics, then listen back without you knowing what piece of kit is what piece of kit.

so when u r testing gear u do know what brand is what, and that can really affect the test results. also differences in performances between different takes can really change what is recorded, and thus what you percieve.

"lab" tests are in carefully controlled situations.

from what i have read in your posts before, yours are not.
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
i think u r fooling yourself, big time. i have read here before that u dont bother to hide the results from yourself - so you know what piece of gear is what as you test it, and you dont record the identical performance with 2 of the same mics, then listen back without you knowing what piece of kit is what piece of kit.

so when u r testing gear u do know what brand is what, and that can really affect the test results. also differences in performances between different takes can really change what is recorded, and thus what you percieve.

"lab" tests are in carefully controlled situations.

from what i have read in your posts before, yours are not.
It quite depends what you understand by "laboratory": either a scientific research place or just indirectly indicating the difference between recording different stuff, different musicians at different places all the time vs. recording the same things, same musicians and same instruments most of the time ... I clearly indicated the second meaning. As I already said - if you need a real laboratory to be able to hear some difference between some pieces of gear, then these differences have no meaning for a practical recording IMO ...
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
1 x plate of spaghetti
1 x Tiramisu desert
1 x espresso coffee
OK. In the spirit of digging up dirt on people, Peter bought me (Burbank, CA 2008):

1 - Pancake breakfast (w/ bacon & eggs)
1 - cup of coffee
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are you guys getting crazy ? Maybe you could also find out that peeder´s sister did not pass the exams last year and he was caught speeding 20km/h above the limit .. and in general he is not a very handsome guy and his dress is out of fashion (and not well ironed). It´s already close to that.

This Pacifica thing is nearing a very strange level of some highly fanatic sect, don´t you feel ? Which seems to be a little bit out of an idea of a nice professional informative discussion as one would expect in this forum (including personal sharing and experience and respecting experiences of others) .

(As I already wrote in the email to a friend): If someone mentions he did not much like Buzz preamp/Vipre/Pendulum or whatever, this information just passes without much attention. Someone else may write he quite liked it etc. and it just bubbles away.

But when the holy word Pacifica is uttered, big noise immediately occurs: a professional choir makes the atmosphere HOT and heavy with worship. And if some lost sheep dares to disturb the church service and indicates that he was actually not so much impressed, three pages of loud religious chants and praising the Holy Name will come quickly, just to forget about that hopeless blinded man who does not know the real values )) And if does not help, some special negative points must be quickly found on him: too much posts, heavy sins, murder attempt etc.
ROFL!

Maybe I shouldn't even post here because I DON'T have any personal studio experience with the Pacifica, even though I have heard it in action.

How come? Well, there's a great bass player called Viktor Krauss. (Alison's bro and long-time collaborator of Lyle Lovett and Bill Frisell, among many others) A few years ago, Viktor released a TERRIFIC solo record called 'Far from enough', and I was not only knocked out by the music but also by the sound (Jason Lehning mixed it, Jerry Douglas, Bill Frisell and Steve Jordan played on it.)

So about two years later, Viktor released a new CD and I was extremly anxious to hear it since I loved his first one so much. What immedeately struck me when reading the credits of 'Viktor Krauss II' was the fact that this was the first record I've ever came across that credited the PREAMPS. You guesses it, the Pacifica was listed as being used for most overdubs.

The music was good, even though it didn't excite me in the same way like the first record did. Now this is totally subjective but the sound also didn't knock me out. To my ears it lacked impact and it was a far cry from the thick-gluey and punchy sound of 'Far from enough'.

So this doesn't mean anything, it's always the music that's first for me and while Viktor's second record is still a magnificent display of musicanship I'd say that not liking the music as much MIGHT make me think the sonics aren't quite there as well.

Now if 'Far from enough' had 'preamp credits' I'm sure that would have had some impact on me. But since it's the second record that has it, I must say that my first Pacifica impression is already somewhat tarnished.

Again, I might use a Pacifica tomorrow and it may be blown me away, who knows? But what's strange to me (and finally I'm getting back OT) is that the 'hype' for this preamp or whatever you want to call it (i.e the fact that it is even getting credited on recordings) actually is backfiring in some ways.

All I can say is trust your own ears. I've been using a UA 6176 for quite a few years now and for some time there was a lot of bashing of that unit and all things UA. Why? I have no idea but I'm 100% sure that is wasn't just a 'personal preference' thing. Anyway, I use plenty of UA gear and love it. Big deal.

People should be able to state their personal opinion here or what are we doing this for at all? Some people seem to love the Pacifica, some people are not that impressed. So what? Get over it but please spare us 'loud religious chants' ( to quote Ivo from above )
Old 8th September 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by picksail View Post
I am from LA.

I have a lot of love for Peter and Lisa Montessi.

I am a proud user of A Designs products.

I'm not participating in this diatribe.
Stewart not only uses big words but also helped me pick out clothes once. You rock man.

This thread is a bit scary. Peter's a good dude and makes great gear, if he's guilty of anything it's of great networking and impeccable customer service. I own gear from a plethora of manufacturers and A Design's gear and customer service are flawless, I mean Peter answers the phone himself half the time.
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
People should be able to state their personal opinion here or what are we doing here it all? Some people seem top love the Pacifica, some people are not that impressed. So what?
Absolutely ! This is what I am talking about, nothing else ... This is as it should be and will ever be (since everybody has slightly different tastes and needs). But then those who expressed the feeling they are not so much impressed should not be ridiculed, don´t you think ? I wrote my words after seeing few consequent post ridiculing user "peeder", who was one of those who like this device a bit less ... (BTW I have absolutely no idea who "peeder" is, so there is nothing personal in it ...).

Having said what I could, returning to the studio after three days, I am resigning from this thread
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
But then those who expressed the feeling they are not so much impressed should not be ridiculed, don´t you think ? I wrote my words after seeing few consequent post ridiculing user "peeder", who was one of those who like this device a bit less ...
Hmmm? Could you please show me some examples of any times when Peeder or any one else was "ridiculed" because of their opinion about the Pacifica? It would indeed be disappointing if that actually happened.

I have seen peoples testing methods questioned, I have had people voice opposite opinions, and I have seen people get shot down for criticizing the people that are huge fans of the Pacifica, but I get on GS almost every day and usually check all the A Designs related threads because I know some of their gear quite well and I still have yet to ever see any one attacked, ridiculed or criticized for not liking the Pacifica. The only example I can think of was the legendary Zaza and that is a whole different story.

Again, please provide some examples of what you are talking about. I think it would be helpful.
Old 8th September 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Absolutely !
But then those who expressed the feeling they are not so much impressed should not be ridiculed, don´t you think ? I wrote my words after seeing few consequent post ridiculing user "peeder", who was one of those who like this device a bit less ... (BTW I have absolutely no idea who "peeder" is, so there is nothing personal in it ...).
again
it has nothing to do with peeders preferences in gear or his taste.
it is the fact that he has ( and continues to ), slandered so many!
manufacturer as well as individuals!
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Absolutely ! This is what I am talking about, nothing else ... This is as it should be and will ever be (since everybody has slightly different tastes and needs). But then those who expressed the feeling they are not so much impressed should not be ridiculed, don´t you think ? I wrote my words after seeing few consequent post ridiculing user "peeder", who was one of those who like this device a bit less ... (BTW I have absolutely no idea who "peeder" is, so there is nothing personal in it ...).
The testy issue at hand here isn't differing opinions. It's the accusations leveled at some GS people by one GS person -- namely, that these Pacifica fanboys are shills for A-Designs in some capacity. The accused say that claim is unfounded, a provocation and casts an unfair pall on their integrity.

This issue has been stated pretty explicitly. I don't know why you're disregarding this.

Look, I don't have it out for Peeder, but by his own admission he often gets into thread-detracting arguments. And he insists on much ID disclosure from others, yet offers none himself.

Anyway --

I said in my first post in this thread that the Pacifica has its detractors but those who like it like it a lot.
Old 8th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
It quite depends what you understand by "laboratory": either a scientific research place or just indirectly indicating the difference between recording different stuff, different musicians at different places all the time vs. recording the same things, same musicians and same instruments most of the time ... I clearly indicated the second meaning. As I already said - if you need a real laboratory to be able to hear some difference between some pieces of gear, then these differences have no meaning for a practical recording IMO ...
Laboratory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and

i think that level matched blind testing of gear is best. you seem not to. we will agree to disagree.

Old 8th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispick View Post
The testy issue at hand here isn't differing opinions. It's the accusations leveled at some GS people by one GS person -- namely, that these Pacifica fanboys are shills for A-Designs in some capacity. The accused say that claim is unfounded, a provocation and casts an unfair pall on their integrity.

This issue has been stated pretty explicitly. I don't know why you're disregarding this......

+1 !!!!!!!!!
Old 8th September 2008
Gear Addict

HR500 with 2 xP1 vs Pacifica

HR500 with 2 xP1 vs Pacifica
Is there a difference ?

Reason I am asking, I can switch a P1 with something else, not so with the Pacifica obviously.
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
again
it has nothing to do with peeders preferences in gear or his taste.
it is the fact that he has ( and continues to ), slandered so many!
manufacturer as well as individuals!
Agreed
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
1 x plate of spaghetti
1 x Tiramisu desert
1 x espresso coffee
Thank god for a bit of humor at last!

Does a full dose of spaghetti now mean you fully endorse all A-Design products without reservation? heh
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search