The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A Designs Pacifica Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 6th September 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
Seeing how everyone else is speaking their mind about this, I will too.
I have had it with the accusations of Peeder.

There is a phrase I like to use about people like this: anonymity on the web breeds ignorance.

Peeder continues to make outrageous claims on Gearslutz and there are many times I just don't even bother saying responding.
But last night I had to post what I did and show the sonic advantages of the A Designs gear.

I believe he has a personal vendetta against 4 or 5 people on this forum.

A lot of this came to a boil a few months ago in this thread.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/2166342-post50.html
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/2167062-post58.html

No matter how may times I've said this, Peeder continues to permeate his lies.
So for the record... ONCE AGAIN!

Peter Montessi has become a close friend of mine.
He has introduced me to a lot of really cool people in this industry.
Peter has graciously let us use some of his space at trade shows for Tech Breakfast.
We have a great friendship and working relationship.
Like Ronan, I have beta tested many of his products.

But...
I am not on A Design Audio's payroll.

I am not on Digidesign's payroll.
I use their gear because it works. Let me repeat that. I use their gear because it works.
I get the results that I need from the gear.
If I couldn't get the results, I would stop using the gear.

Peeder, I don't know why you feel it's necessary to try and taint my professional life with your accusations.

You all know who I am.
If you want to hear what I've done you can go to my website and listen to my work.
Hell you could go to iTunes and download it for all I care.
But I am sick of the Peeder's of the world hiding behind the anonymity of the web.

GS can be a great community of people, but when you have someone hurling unfounded crap around it's hard to stay focused on the original intent of this place.
Tony you rock!
i want to be clear here
I am not on A Design Audio's payroll.
yes i have pitched design's to Peter, some he has picked up some not.
he is not the only manufacturer i consider a great friend nor is he the only one i approach with my designs!

Quote:
I use their gear because it works. Let me repeat that. I use their gear because it works.
dido!

Quote:
GS can be a great community of people, but when you have someone hurling unfounded crap around it's hard to stay focused on the original intent of this place.
dido

Quote:
Peter Montessi has become a close friend of mine.
He has introduced me to a lot of really cool people in this industry.
as well Peter is a great friend, and a great guy!

as far as anonymity pan60 post's as pan60 is!
many know me, how to contact me, and were i am located, they know my choosing to retain my privacy has its reasoning, as well, they know i am pan60, rather in person or on the net!
Old 6th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
If you actually look carefully, it's just three or four guys from LA who endorse the products and/or have business dealings with the Montessi's (e.g. "Pete's Place Audio") that are responsible for 99% of the A-Designs hype around here. A couple years ago they seemed to be able to booster the products unchallenged, someone challenged them (albeit inartfully) and was actually banned for doing so (but they are back participating anyway).
Im a happy P-1 user but i agree with what peeder has said in this post, PAN60 is a friend of mine, i even go to him for advice about A Designs gear, just last week i ask him a opinion on the Blue, he agreed that it was a nice preamp to have and i would really love it, well i took that into all the other thoughts and made a decision, even though i respect PAN60 i went with my gut feeling and bought another 512c, not to say in the future that i want buy a Blue, at this current time with what i am doing the 512c was gonna be a better tool. I still think the P-1 is the best of the A Design gear, but hey thats my opinion not someone else, A Designs would not be my Desert Island Pre but i do like and use them.
Old 6th September 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
PAN60 is a friend of mine, i even go to him for advice about A Designs gear, just last week i ask him a opinion on the Blue, he agreed that it was a nice preamp to have and i would really love it, well i took that into all the other thoughts and made a decision, even though i respect PAN60 i went with my gut feeling and bought another 512c, not to say in the future that i want buy a Blue, at this current time with what i am doing the 512c was gonna be a better tool. I still think the P-1 is the best of the A Design gear, but hey thats my opinion not someone else, A Designs would not be my Desert Island Pre but i do like and use them.
and i didn't even beat you up for it!
heh

to quote myself
i hope the is cool with AllAboutTone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60
i say go with you gut anytime, that way you will feel good about what you get and a lot of times that count for a lot!
plus a 512 is a damn good pre!
it is really hard to slam any of the pres, or at least the ones i have seen.
their are a few with some minor issues, but nothing that would stop me from buying them.
a very small portion of a nice chat!
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

...one more guy here for Peter. I have met him and I own A Designs gear...love 'em both.
Old 6th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
and i didn't even beat you up for it!
heh

to quote myself
i hope the is cool with AllAboutTone?

a very small portion of a nice chat!
no you did not, you are a super guy Pan........I like Tony as well but we butt heads sometimes though, i have stepped up to logic pro though, but im still OTB......me and Tony have Pro Tool wars...lol
Old 6th September 2008
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
P.S.
for the record peeder fuuck you!!!!!!!
As a long time reader of Gearslutz, it's always a bit disappointing to see any thread devolve to this level. I feel I am able to read and evaluate any post for its contributive worth on its own merits without this.

Frankly, I'm surprised Gearslutz allows for the "finger" option, given its propensity to derail constructive conversation. If I were an advertiser I might think twice about this sight, despite its great value to the recording community.
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Uh oh! All of Los Angeles is descending upon me!

I don't think I'd personally go on the record saying I couldn't hear a CLEAR difference between a Flamingo and a Pacifica.

And enough people here know who I am that if I did have conflicts of interest I think people would call me out on them should I advocate for those brands/products or against their competitors.

We got the dealers (and most of the manufacturers) to disclose their conflicts on this site...I remember that battle well. The dealers screwed themselves by viciously attacking each other on this site, and that made it easier for the admins to corral them, even though they pay for adverts on the site. The "friends and family" of the manufacturers (also advertisers) appear to be next up to be brought into disclosure.

I would be amused, however, if someone posted a thread, "Do conflicts of interest matter on Gearslutz?" and there were actually people arguing they don't matter. Way to make a mockery of the entire thing. If it was the general feeling that conflicts of interest are irrelevant here I would leave the site at once.
Oh gee, you're such a VICTIM!

First, ENOUGH with the absolute lies and conspiracy theories. Seriously. You want to talk credibility, take a good look in the mirror first.

Secondly, I COULD just speak for myself, but I think it's fair to speak for a few others here as well when I say we continue to support A-Designs gear ONLY because it is good on all accounts, from the gear to the man who makes it.

Vested interest? No more than any normal person would want in quality and character.

Enough, Peeder.

-andrews
Old 6th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_squirrel View Post
As a long time reader of Gearslutz, it's always a bit disappointing to see any thread devolve to this level. I feel I am able to read and evaluate any post for its contributive worth on its own merits without this.

Frankly, I'm surprised Gearslutz allows for the "finger" option, given its propensity to derail constructive conversation. If I were an advertiser I might think twice about this sight, despite its great value to the recording community.
Hate to post so soon again but i agree with this as well from other threads i have been on, they do not allow some people to say certain words on here but you can put up the finger, does not seem fair. The only thing that counts is we are still able to read and learn off gearslutz weather you get kicked off etc, thats where i have learned a lot is the search button not some jerk bashing someone with words or symbols.
Anyways A Designs
Old 6th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasmasset View Post
Thanks a bunch! Would you say the 512 is warmer thatn a designs? And you mentioned agressive, does that extend to the top end (harsh)?
wow a question and i failed to see it ( spending to much time in the free gear zone)
ok, yes the 512 is warmer than A Designs imo, but the A Designs has a nice top end cream that the 512 does not. The Pacifica has the nice round bottom and a top end sheen for vocals.
API is all about aggressive the more you push it, a lot of people will disagree but i do think the 3124 can get harsh in the mids unlike the 512s, it really depends on what you are recording, to me the snare is much better on a 512 than a 3124. I use A Designs for Bass and some vocals and acoustic guitars, i like to mix API and A Designs together when recording acoustics, i really don't think anyone will tell you they hate API. However i use custom racked Studer 089s as well on some things as well as Hardy and OSAs.
weather it be API or A Designs you cannot go wrong.
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you actually look carefully, it's just three or four guys from LA who endorse the products and/or have business dealings with the Montessi's (e.g. "Pete's Place Audio") that are responsible for 99% of the A-Designs hype around here. A couple years ago they seemed to be able to booster the products unchallenged, someone challenged them (albeit inartfully) and was actually banned for doing so (but they are back participating anyway).
Quote:
Im a happy P-1 user but i agree with what peeder has said in this post
What exactly are you agreeing with?
Are you agreeing with Peeder because you were the person who was banned?
Because as someone pointed out earlier in this thread, there are more than 4 or 5 people who are not from LA, who like the A Designs gear.
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
the 512 is warmer than A Designs imo, but the A Designs has a nice top end cream that the 512 does not. The Pacifica has the nice round bottom and a top end sheen. API is all about aggressive...
I agree with this characterization. That's not to say the Pacifica is mushy by any means. It does have some punch to it, but the 512 is all about aggressively punchy transients (if that makes sense).

I say this having much more experience with the Pacifica than the 512. The Pacifica, I own. The 512, I've only heard and used as a player in studios.
Old 6th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Are you agreeing with Peeder because you were the person who was banned?
Because as someone pointed out earlier in this thread, there are more than 4 or 5 people who are not from LA, who like the A Designs gear.
LA provides 90 something percent of GS if Jules told me correct at one point. So yes i feel the Hype has to come from there, its almost impossible not to have came from there. I use P-1s and im happy, thats all that matters. I don't jump on band wagons Tony like Pro tools, yes we have had our wars with that, i use my gut feeling and what's works for me as you do with respect.
And yes Pro tools does have the best headroom money can buy but im not a user and just cannot see myself using it. Mainly its all about digi designs and there crap that i hate.
Old 6th September 2008
Like I always say... Some people are creators and some people are destroyers.

Ok back to creating.
Old 6th September 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_squirrel View Post
As a long time reader of Gearslutz, it's always a bit disappointing to see any thread devolve to this level.

Frankly, I'm surprised Gearslutz allows for the "finger" option, given its propensity to derail constructive conversation.
my apologies for the finger, ( and only the finger ), i should not have allowed myself to get so upset.

after a point of watching peeder bash ( not just A-Designs ), but others manufacturers as well as individuals, well it just gets to a point in which it is difficult to ignore.

he has in many post boasted in regards to the fact the he like stirring up crap.
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
LA provides 90 something percent of GS if Jules told me correct at one point. So yes i feel the Hype has to come from there, its almost impossible not to have came from there. I use P-1s and im happy, thats all that matters. I don't jump on band wagons Tony like Pro tools, yes we have had our wars with that, i use my gut feeling and what's works for me as you do with respect.
And yes Pro tools does have the best headroom money can buy but im not a user and just cannot see myself using it. Mainly its all about digi designs and there crap that i hate.

AAT, I also own Logic 8 and personally, I really don't care what DAW you use.
I do care about Peeder saying something that is blatantly not true about me and my reputation.
Old 6th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
I do care about someone saying something that is blatantly not true about me and my reputation.
Wait a min, lets keep this peaceful, i said nothing about the sentence you just wrote.
I respect you and your work, i have heard nothing but positive comments about your work, so no need to start trouble with me, we have had or past issues about PT and OTB vs ITB. Thats under the bridge so leave it there. And leave any other issues that come from other threads in the desired threads.
Damn
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

AAT, the comment about my reputation was not directed at you.
It was meant for Peeder because he is trying to malign a few of us who have posted good things about A Designs.
Old 6th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
AAT, the comment about my reputation was not directed at you.
It was meant for Peeder because he is trying to malign a few of us who have posted good things about A Designs.
cool then, just checking !!!!
I have no reason to start trouble with a engineer of your Class, i should be learning from you......im just am a ole school guy thats likes mixing OTB.....
Peace.
Old 6th September 2008
500 series nutjob

i know we do not all agree on everything, we all have opinions on various choice be it gear, media or mates.
personally i dig chicks with gnarly tattoos! heh
but anyone that comes around here much know that peeder is nothing less then a troll.
Old 6th September 2008
Quote:
We got the dealers (and most of the manufacturers) to disclose their conflicts on this site...I remember that battle well. The dealers screwed themselves by viciously attacking each other on this site, and that made it easier for the admins to corral them, even though they pay for adverts on the site. The "friends and family" of the manufacturers (also advertisers) appear to be next up to be brought into disclosure.

Jules was here..
Old 7th September 2008
Gear Guru

This just shows that engineers are die hard about the choice of gear they use, some might choose between there gear vs wives. lol
Don't mess with my gear !!
iPhone
Old 7th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
There are more than 4 or 5 people who are not from LA, who like the A Designs gear.
Exactly, make that many more! I live near Amsterdam and have the EM Gold from A-designs wich I use with pleasure and I find it to be in the same league as the gear from BAE, Great River and Neve in my rack. And I am about to audition the Hammer due to the great reviews on this great website.

I know other folks here in europe love their A-designs gear too, a lot of love for the Pacifica and P1's.

That whole idea of an LA conspiracy led by Peter Montessi is just hilarious. heh

I mean rcm, pan60 and Tony are very enthusiastic about various other gearbrands too; Avedis, Speck, Tonelux. Need I go on?

They are Gearslutz!

Old 7th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
This just shows that engineers are die hard about the choice of gear they use, some might choose between there gear bs wives.LOL
Don't mess with my gear !!
iPhone
Well, it's a little more than that. We are a little community here at gearslutz, and regardless about the gear, sometimes it's a little upsetting when someone anonymously comes in and starts bashing people we respect and companies like A Designs that have actually listened to us as a community and become part of it, building gear that we enjoy using and actually asking for feedback on it to make it better.

So it's perfectly understandable that some of us get a little hot under the collar when this happens. I'd feel equally the same about a lot of companies that have become part of the GS community, like Massey, Chandler, and many more. Disagreeing about gear is one thing, kicking sand in peoples' faces and then playing victim about it when people react to that is quite another.

All the same I don't think Peeder is a troll all of the time, but he does troll and it sucks when he does. Peeder, in my opinion keep the trolling in check and build some respect. Notoriety is not respect.
Old 7th September 2008
Gear Guru

Im not taking up for Peeder or anyone else for that matter, again i try not to jump on the flavor of the week. A Designs is a excellent product but API is just as powerful, maybe more, A Designs makes more gear than API. There has always been controversy about A Designs that i have never experienced in any other gear with the cut throat, jabs and fights about A Design hype.
At first i did not care to much for A Designs but the P-1 grew on me, now on the other hand i went total nutz over Avedis MA5s when they came out, now im not so keen with them, not to say its not 1st class gear because that would be a lie, maybe im not a Neve boy...lol. It just depends on what your needs are and chemistry to make a great project. We do take our gear seriously as we should, we stand up firm and fight for what we believe in not realizing it could hurt others, and in return they lash back, we are only humans.
Old 7th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
wow a question and i failed to see it ( spending to much time in the free gear zone)
ok, yes the 512 is warmer than A Designs imo, but the A Designs has a nice top end cream that the 512 does not. The Pacifica has the nice round bottom and a top end sheen for vocals.
API is all about aggressive the more you push it, a lot of people will disagree but i do think the 3124 can get harsh in the mids unlike the 512s, it really depends on what you are recording, to me the snare is much better on a 512 than a 3124. I use A Designs for Bass and some vocals and acoustic guitars, i like to mix API and A Designs together when recording acoustics, i really don't think anyone will tell you they hate API. However i use custom racked Studer 089s as well on some things as well as Hardy and OSAs.
weather it be API or A Designs you cannot go wrong.
Yeah, I haven't heard any pre yet and don't really have the means to do so where I live, but for my purpose (pop/rock vox and guitars), I'm starting to think I should just go for the trusted ancient API 512. Nobody seems to have a bash with that pre, whereas other brands I'm reading about (MA5, P-1) seem to frequently get mixed opinions, and 80 hostile posts to boot!
Old 7th September 2008
Lives for gear

I am from LA.

I have a lot of love for Peter and Lisa Montessi.

I am a proud user of A Designs products.

I'm not participating in this diatribe.
Old 7th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasmasset View Post
Yeah, I haven't heard any pre yet and don't really have the means to do so where I live, but for my purpose (pop/rock vox and guitars), I'm starting to think I should just go for the trusted ancient API 512. Nobody seems to have a bash with that pre, whereas other brands I'm reading about (MA5, P-1) seem to frequently get mixed opinions, and 80 hostile posts to boot!
Honestly, MA5, 512, Pacifica... They're all really good. It's win-win-win all around.

Like I said before, don't sweat the details too much here.

In a lot of ways, this is just a "Coke vs. Pepsi vs. whatever beloved cola" banter and quibbling between people who drink more cola than any normally-adjusted person would dream and proudly consider themselves cola connoisseurs (i.e., geek debate fodder).

The similarities way outweigh the differences -- they're all pieces used by many pros in pro-level situations -- and the "quality" of those very subtle sonic differences -- well, it's totally subjective.

And trust me, if you wait around long enough, someone will have something negative to say about the 512.
Old 7th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispick View Post
Honestly, MA5, 512, Pacifica... They're all really good. It's win-win-win all around.

Like I said before, don't sweat the details too much here.

In a lot of ways, this is just a "Coke vs. Pepsi vs. whatever beloved cola" banter and quibbling between people who drink more cola than any normally-adjusted person would dream and proudly consider themselves cola connoisseurs (i.e., geek debate fodder).

The similarities way outweigh the differences -- they're all pieces used by many pros in pro-level situations -- and the "quality" of those very subtle sonic differences -- well, it's totally subjective.

And trust me, if you wait around long enough, someone will have something negative to say about the 512.
Thank you, that's the best piece of advice I've gotten out of all of this!
Old 7th September 2008
Quote:
Pacifica is a heavily scooped preamp that is initially seductive but you might find loses out in the end to a combo of a better pre and a nice EQ. It has a nice sound out of the gate, no question, but its coloration and relative lack of detail might grow old for you fairly quickly.

(Burn the heretic! )
Lack of detail? That's what the Quad 8 was known for and why
it had such a signature sound. The Eagles tracked through that
one quite a bit.

Major label trackers are turning out some notable commercial releases on
the Pacifica ... I'm sorry, but this criticism is entirely without merit (imho).

jeff
ps: spend some time with George Duke's latest to represent the
Pacifica.
Old 7th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkham View Post
Lack of detail? That's what the Quad 8 was known for and why
it had such a signature sound. The Eagles tracked through that
one quite a bit.

Major label trackers are turning out some notable commercial releases on
the Pacifica ... I'm sorry, but this criticism is entirely without merit (imho).

jeff
ps: spend some time with George Duke's latest to represent the
Pacifica.
Hi all,
sorry but i'm agree with Peeder.
I've just done a blind test with Pacifica, 1073 and SSL XL Channel....
i know the different prices...but it really shows that!
Is a lot more 2D an a lot less detailed sound. I think that is just a "right priced " preamp. Not more.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search