The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A Designs Pacifica Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
Hi user name Peeder,

I feel like you are talking about me since I live in LA and know A Designs products and the people behind them very well and am quite public about how much I like their stuff (along with API, Great River, Empirical Labs, Manley, Little Labs...). Could you please illuminate specific examples of who has been intimidating any critics and how they are doing it.
The very fact that you (and Tony, and pan60) will not let a criticism go unpunished says it all. pan60 has gotten to the point nearly a quarter of his posts are just harassing me.

Petes Place Audio
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
The very fact that you (and Tony, and pan60) will not let a criticism go unpunished says it all. pan60 has gotten to the point nearly a quarter of his posts are just harassing me.

Petes Place Audio
Hey User name Peeder,

I do not speak for Tony or Pan60, but could you please give me a specific example were I have ever "punished", attacked, or even criticized someone for having a negative opinion about an A Designs product? I can not remember a single time I have ever done it verbally or on Gearslutz.

Thanks for posting the link to the RCM-2R. I think its gonna be a pretty cool product once all the kinks are worked out.
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

You guys really ought to indicate on each post you making vaguely concerning A-Designs products that you have received compensation for endorsements or development work for them or are associated with them in some other fashion.

This site, according to its FAQ, is supposed to be about unbiased consumers of audio gear describing their impressions of them, and any exceptions to that really ought to be noted in any post where it matters. For the credibility of the site.

Your signature files would cover all cases without you having to do additional work. I'd say of the three of you, more than half of your posts concern A-Designs somehow, though Tony also advocates for Digidesign (perhaps uncompensated?) and pan60 advocates the 500 series as well.

It's all very transparent to anyone really paying attention, but most of the readership probably doesn't follow along this closely.

I have voluntarily forgone any advocacy for products I myself have had a hand in creating. I accept no endorsements and I have no conflicts of interest whatsoever with any audio gear maker.
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
You guys really ought to indicate on each post you making vaguely concerning A-Designs products that you have received compensation for endorsements or development work for them or are associated with them in some other fashion.
Compensation? That would be awesome. Could you please write Peter Montessi and tell him to start paying me. That would be sweet!!! I have never received a penny from A Designs, nor do I have any deal with them that will have me receiving money from them in the future.

Peter Montessi has bought me lunch a couple times, and in return for beta testing for him, I have had the opportunity to buy demo models and B-Stock of the units I test at a cost lower than normal street price.

Now back to the task at hand. Please give me examples of any single time I have ever attacked some one for criticizing A Designs. I feel pretty confident that if you review all of my posts, you would find more examples of some one asking about an A Designs product and me suggesting that it would not be what they were looking for, than you will find examples of me being adversarial in any way to some one criticizing an A Designs product.

Quote:
Your signature files would cover all cases without you having to do additional work. I'd say of the three of you, more than half of your posts concern A-Designs somehow, though Tony also advocates for Digidesign (perhaps uncompensated?) and pan60 advocates the 500 series as well.
You know why this is? because I use A Designs stuff everyday I go to work. I use it a lot. Since you seem to be tracking our posts, you may have noticed that I hardly ever start threads on Gearslutz. I chime in on threads where people are looking for information about stuff I might know about. When some one posts about the stuff I use every day to make records, i chime in. And I do not often talk about stuff I have not tested or use on a regular basis. Even in the A Designs line, you rarely see me even mention the EM series mic pres, because I do not use them, where as I have not made a record without a Pacifica in a couple years. If some one wants to know how a Pacifica will work on extreme metal or chamber music, I have direct hands on experience.

Its sort of the same way with D&R consoles. There are a few of us that sit in front of them every day. If you ask about D&R consoles, you can bet that me and Dr. Bill are going to chime in. There are a lot more people asking about A Designs than D&R these days.

If some one chimes in about a Chandler Tone control, I am not going to say anything because I have never used one.

Quote:
I have voluntarily forgone any advocacy for products I myself have had a hand in creating. I accept no endorsements and I have no conflicts of interest whatsoever with any audio gear maker.
Hey user name Peeder, How would we know? You post with an alias. How are we to know you are not Rupert Neve, Uli Behringer, or a 15 year old writing from her grand ma's basement?
Old 6th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
.... No A-Designs product is comparable to any Crane Song product...total different levels there. I see the A-Designs brand as being about fun...cool colors to scribble with...but Crane Song (and other truly high-end manufacutrers) are more about serious work.....
"Peeder"

I own a Crane Song Flamingo preamp, and I think it is very, very good. I also own some other very high end preamps.

A while back I went into a music recording studio and did very careful level matched, double blind tests with the Flamingo and a Pacifica (both pad in and pad out) using identical mics recording the same performance at the same time.

We recorded a wide variety of instruments, and neither my recording engineer pal nor I knew what preamp was what until the very end.

Both the Flamingo and the Pacifica produced outstanding results. The bottom end response was slightly different - (SLIGHTLY) - but both preamps produced awesome results. To my ears the Flamingo had a tiny bit of a low end bump about an octave below the Pacifica. This was a very subtle thing, and noticeable only in a few instances. The preamps were very, very close in sound quality.

I have no idea what your opinions are based on.

John
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Uh oh! All of Los Angeles is descending upon me!

I don't think I'd personally go on the record saying I couldn't hear a CLEAR difference between a Flamingo and a Pacifica.

And enough people here know who I am that if I did have conflicts of interest I think people would call me out on them should I advocate for those brands/products or against their competitors.

We got the dealers (and most of the manufacturers) to disclose their conflicts on this site...I remember that battle well. The dealers screwed themselves by viciously attacking each other on this site, and that made it easier for the admins to corral them, even though they pay for adverts on the site. The "friends and family" of the manufacturers (also advertisers) appear to be next up to be brought into disclosure.

I would be amused, however, if someone posted a thread, "Do conflicts of interest matter on Gearslutz?" and there were actually people arguing they don't matter. Way to make a mockery of the entire thing. If it was the general feeling that conflicts of interest are irrelevant here I would leave the site at once.
Old 6th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
There are some people whom find delight in stirring up trouble and speaking about recordings as if they have a wealth of knowledge.

I think one of the problems is you all are speaking in nebulas terms instead of listening.
I think that's the best way to test a pre.

I find when I work with the Pacifica and the Hammer they have the right amount of polish and grit that I want on a vocal.

Some of the other names mentioned in this thread have the polish, but IMO they don't have the grit.
And many times in digital recordings, the grit is really nice to have.

So here is a vocal example of a tune I am producing.

The singer is Shelea.
The mic is a Sony C800G.
The mic pre is the A Designs Pacifica.
Then into the A Designs Hammer.
Then into the Tube Tech CL1B.
Straight into PT HD.

There are two examples.
1. The vocals by themselves. http://www.tonysound.com/mixes/NeverThought-Vocals.wav
2. The vocals in the track. http://www.tonysound.com/mixes/NeverThought-Track.wav

great sound !
Old 6th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:

I don't think I'd personally go on the record saying I couldn't hear a CLEAR difference between a Flamingo and a Pacifica.

And enough people here know who I am that if I did have conflicts of interest I think people would call me out on them should I advocate for those brands/products or against their competitors.

We got the dealers (and most of the manufacturers) to disclose their conflicts on this site...I remember that battle well. The dealers screwed themselves by viciously attacking each other on this site, and that made it easier for the admins to corral them, even though they pay for adverts on the site. The "friends and family" of the manufacturers (also advertisers) appear to be next up to be brought into disclosure.

I would be amused, however, if someone posted a thread, "Do conflicts of interest matter on Gearslutz?" and there were actually people arguing they don't matter. Way to make a mockery of the entire thing. If it was the general feeling that conflicts of interest are irrelevant here I would leave the site at once.
peeder & all gearslutz... make hits and relax
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
There are some people whom find delight in stirring up trouble and speaking about recordings as if they have a wealth of knowledge.

I think one of the problems is you all are speaking in nebulas terms instead of listening.

I find when I work with the Pacifica and the Hammer they have the right amount of polish and grit that I want on a vocal.

Some of the other names mentioned in this thread have the polish, but IMO they don't have the grit.

The singer is Shelea.
The mic is a Sony C800G.
Straight into PT HD.

There are two examples.
1. The vocals by themselves. http://www.tonysound.com/mixes/NeverThought-Vocals.wav
2. The vocals in the track. http://www.tonysound.com/mixes/NeverThought-Track.wav
Excellent results Tony!
I'm still towing and froing between a Pacifica and a TG2
The combination of mic, pre & talent on your recording sounded superb though.
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn View Post
Excellent results Tony!
+ 1

Go Shelea!

Go Tony!

Go A-designs!
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continental View Post
peeder & all gearslutz... make hits and relax
+ 69

There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique.

And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and be lost. The world will not have it.

It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions.

It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open.

--Agnes Demille

I'm going to work on a mix now.
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

One More Thing...

The bass was live from Reggie Hamilton playing his Fender artist series bass, into a REDDI to a Pacifica to a Tube Tech CL-1B.

I mention this because there is one person on this entire forum of 45,000 plus names who THINKS he can hear hum in the REDDI...
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

It's interesting that you said that.

I own two original Neve 1073's and they are great, but it really depends on the vocalist.
I also own two Tonelux pres and they are great. I own an Aphex 1100 and they sound great.
But it comes down to the artist or instrument that I'm recording.

For me, there is no one size fits all, stuck on a island mic pre. That's to limiting.
You pick the right pre for the right job.
That's why in my studio I have 5 different manufacturers of pres that I can chose from.
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Tony... Great example btw..

2 quick questions..

1) are you still clocked to the Big Ben?
2) What reverb unit is on those vox and are their any other effects or plugins on the vox sample?
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman View Post
Tony... Great example btw..

2 quick questions..

1) are you still clocked to the Big Ben?
2) What reverb unit is on those vox and are their any other effects or plugins on the vox sample?
Thanks!

1. Yes, I am still using the Big Ben.
I went through a period of about 6 months where I wasn't even turning on the Big Ben.
I wanted to hear the difference in my system, so I had to "clear my palette" of the clocking sound of the unit.
But now I'm back.

2. The main reverb is Reverb One.
There are also some harmonizer and delays on the vocals.

Right now it looks like this is the song that we are going to use for my second DVD.
You will actually be able to see and hear Shelea sing down all the BGVs and hear the parts being stacked.
All shot in hi def at 1080P. The footage looks and sounds great!
Old 6th September 2008
I like to play in the sand box with my A Designs products... WEEEE
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Sounds great to me

Quote:

The singer is Shelea.
The mic is a Sony C800G.
Straight into PT HD.

There are two examples.
Heck yeah, I hope that the Pacifica that I get in the mail this week (had to see what the hype was about myself) gets me results like that. How much of that great airy top end was the pre and how much was the hammer? Did you have a big ol' 10k shelf on the Hammer? Either way, the mic pre must must be pretty open if it can be lifted eq'd nicely and still sound natural. It probably doesn't hurt to have a great voice singing into the chain, either. The lower mids just the right amount of saturation (I assume that was more pre-amp transformer) and it did seemed scooped in the upper mids - I would love to know how much of that was eq'd vs the natural sound of the pre, as well. Do you like working with the Hammer or is there another eq your digging for smooth and natural with just a bit of color/grit when you want it?
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

I actually scooped some of the mids from her voice with the Hammer.

Of course IMO, Shelea could sing into a tin can and sound amazing.
But I thought I'd post the files because of the naysayers who think the pre doesn't sound great.

Well... IT DOES! thumbsup
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

I posted this over at Pro Sound this morning...

"Scott Benson and I did some of the beta testing for Peter when I had the Pacifica console here at Silvertone. The rack unit that Peter was building was spot on to the original except for the top end. Which we found extended and brighter.

In the end we concluded that it was a great pre but different from the originals."

I would add to this. Different in the top end but in a great way to the Pacifica. Different in the low end and top end to the earlier Electrodyne built Quad Eights. Mids seemed to be about the same with the lows a bit more extended and slightly bigger sounding on the old originals.
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am not sure what you mean by this. Could you please articulate? I have seen some LA people articulate different opinions then yours about gear in this thread. Do you feel like you are being attacked by this?

User Name "Peeder", I know its probably ridiculous for me to troll bait with you, but through out this thread you are making comments that bring into questions both my professional character and the sincerity of my contribution to the Gear Slutz community. This is not only personally insulting, but potentially damaging, in some small way, to me professionally. Since I have a small side business that does recording training and consulting (note my sig file), people getting the impression that my advice is not authentic is damaging to my professional rep.

Any one that knows me professionally or via Gearslutz knows that I am a big fan of A Designs gear (Hell, my avatar is my pudgy face resting on a bunch of A Designs pres), and I have a good relationship with the company. They have even shot videos of me talking about their products.

I make no money from A Designs, I have never made any money from A Designs, nor do I have any financial vested interest in the company or any of its subsidiaries!!! I like their stuff and I like the people that run the company.

You are welcome to insult me all you want, but I have a serious problem with you anonymously challenging my professional character in a public forum. For all I know you are the best dentist in Tulsa OK, but I make 100% of my living working in the recording and music community.

I have not asked you to recant any of the accusations you have made about me, all I have asked is that you support any of your claims with examples, which you do not seem able to do. If indeed I am guilty of the charges you are making then I would like to know it, and change my ways, because my actions would not be appropriate.

If you want to accuse me of being some one that really likes to advocate for gear I like, then I am guilty as charged. But beyond that please don't pull theories out of the air and post them about me here or in any other public forums

[/QUOTE]
Old 6th September 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
If you actually look carefully, it's just three or four guys from LA who endorse the products and/or have business dealings with the Montessi's (e.g. "Pete's Place Audio") that are responsible for 99% of the A-Designs hype around here.
i do not live in L.A. nor am a employee of A-Designs or Pete's Place.

Quote:
A couple years ago they seemed to be able to booster the products unchallenged, someone challenged them (albeit inartfully) and was actually banned for doing so (but they are back participating anyway).

I think the boosters are actually doing the products a disservice with the hype, a few months after that the classifieds section here was thick with Pacificas etc. from people who grew disillusioned with them.
you of full of crap, their is nor has their been any more of any pro gear in the classifieds or on ebay then their ever is!
fuuck

Quote:
The products aren't bad at all...they might be a bit overpriced, but not too bad. But they certainly don't live up to the do-no-wrong reality distortion field this handful of characters tries to create around them.
do you have a deck that is somewhat shuffled?

Quote:
No A-Designs product is comparable to any Crane Song product...total different levels there. I see the A-Designs brand as being about fun...cool colors to scribble with...but Crane Song (and other truly high-end manufacutrers) are more about serious work.
you have no clue!
fuuck

Quote:

Petes Place Audio
it has nothing to do with you tastes or anything other then your crap stirring just for fun!

i will attack you every-time i see you attacking any product i believe in, as i feel all you are here for ( and buy you own admission in many posts ), is to stir up crap.
so yes you are on my list as nothing but a troll!
i am not alone in these feelings.

Quote:
i work very very hard for any and everything i get you monkey!
fuuck

Quote:
I accept no endorsements and I have no conflicts of interest whatsoever with any audio gear maker.
i am not getting any endorsement.

Quote:

i have, do and will continue to recommend what i think is appropriate for any poster s question, rather that be A-Designs, buzz audio, LaCapell, Great River, Chandler, OSA, Universal Audio, and more brands then i can even think of so again you are just talking out you azz and stirring up crap, typical ******!
Old 6th September 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
There are some people who find delight in stirring up trouble and speaking about recordings as if they have a wealth of knowledge.

The singer is Shelea.
The mic is a Sony C800G.
Straight into PT HD.

There are two examples.
awesome TONY!!!!!!
freakin awesome!!!!!!
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

It's so odd when people try to create controversy when there is none...

I'm not from LA, and my only connection with Pete's Place is that every once in a while I'll send out an email pestering them about if they are ever going to get that spring reverb done so I can buy one (I'm a big fan of spring verbs, it makes me drool a little).

Anyway, I stand by my comment about the Pacifica not being scooped, and this talk about hype and not being up to standards of other gear is a joke, an ironic one too.

I was one of the first people in line at the taco stand- I've used the Reddi since not long after it came out, we were looking for something new back then and got sent a Reddi and an MP-2 to evaluate and we instantly had to have both. I've been a huge fan of A Designs since- every piece of gear from them that I've tried since has been excellent, the way I feel about it is that there is a certain standard of sound that I expect from them. I feel the same way about other brands like Chandler Limited and Cranesong as well. Don't have a Hammer because I can't afford one at the moment but it's at the top of the list for sure along with more EMPEQ's. And that spring verb if they ever finish it.

Basically I would take Peeder's rants with a grain of salt, he rants about stuff other than A Designs, which I suppose is his personality such as it is, these are all just tools anyway.
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

He can rant all he wants. And does, as regular readers and his post count can attest to. Seemingly, he has intimate knowledge of every piece of gear in the known universe.

But when he starts making false accusations, he has crossed a line.
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

maybe Peeder IS Blender?

(was that his alias? Blender? I forget.)

heh
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Ask yourself this, why would a person have nearly 5,700 posts in 2 years???

Too much time, and no work.dfegad
Old 6th September 2008
Gear Maniac

This is a post I'd usually avoid, things getting pretty pissy and all, but there's some serious audacity going around here. So, from a guy who's not in LA and hasn't ever even had lunch with Pete Montessi or Ronan:

1. I really love the Pacifica and all my A-Designs gear;
2. I love a lot of other gear too, but would put the Pacifica in the class of the best gear I've ever used;
3. I've followed Ronan's posts a couple years now and have never seen a word of disrespect for anyone. Everybody has opinions and folks often disagree, but dissing the man's rep is undeserved.

Tom in St. Louis
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Normally I too, avoid these types of disputes but as Peeder is making some very serious accusations I felt the need to chime in.

Despite what Peeder would like others to believe, Ronan has ZERO vested interest in 'pimping' A-Designs gear other than to voice his opinions on tools that work well for him.

I've had the honor of assisting Ronan Chris Murphy and can say without a doubt that he is one of the most genuine guys I have ever met. He is an extremely talented engineer/mixer/producer and is as enthusiastic and passionate about making records as one can be.

As far as Ronan's demeanor on this forum goes, unlike Peeder, I have never once seen him mock, belittle or even speak in a condescending tone to another forum member here.

Peeder has encouraged forum members to read between the lines and to not take everything one reads at face value. I wholeheartedly agree with this advice. I definitely put much more stock in opinions and advice from the guys on this forum who have an actual body of work that I can listen to.

Ronan give you some advice you might be considering? Don't just take his word for it, go and check out some of his recordings! Like them? Cool, he may be on to something then with that there advice he gave you. Don't dig his work? Great, now you know you have a differing aesthetic and can move on to the next suggestion.

That is a hell of a lot more transparent than sifting through advice from anonymous posters who may or may not have a vested interest in the gear that they are arguing in favor of!
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Seeing how everyone else is speaking their mind about this, I will too.
I have had it with the accusations of Peeder.

There is a phrase I like to use about people like this: anonymity on the web breeds ignorance.

Peeder continues to make outrageous claims on Gearslutz and there are many times I just don't even bother saying responding.
But last night I had to post what I did and show the sonic advantages of the A Designs gear.

I believe he has a personal vendetta against 4 or 5 people on this forum.

A lot of this came to a boil a few months ago in this thread.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/2166342-post50.html
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/2167062-post58.html

No matter how may times I've said this, Peeder continues to permeate his lies.
So for the record... ONCE AGAIN!

Peter Montessi has become a close friend of mine.
He has introduced me to a lot of really cool people in this industry.
Peter has graciously let us use some of his space at trade shows for Tech Breakfast.
We have a great friendship and working relationship.
Like Ronan, I have beta tested many of his products.

But...
I am not on A Design Audio's payroll.

I am not on Digidesign's payroll.
I use their gear because it works. Let me repeat that. I use their gear because it works.
I get the results that I need from the gear.
If I couldn't get the results, I would stop using the gear.

Peeder, I don't know why you feel it's necessary to try and taint my professional life with your accusations.

You all know who I am.
If you want to hear what I've done you can go to my website and listen to my work.
Hell you could go to iTunes and download it for all I care.
But I am sick of the Peeder's of the world hiding behind the anonymity of the web.

GS can be a great community of people, but when you have someone hurling unfounded crap around it's hard to stay focused on the original intent of this place.
Old 6th September 2008
Quote:
GS can be a great community of people, but when you have someone hurling unfounded crap around it's hard to stay focused on the original intent of this place.

thumbsupthumbsup
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search