The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roll Music Tubule ?? Studio Accessories
Old 16th August 2008
Gear Addict

Roll Music Tubule ??

Anybody tried it yet ??

How does it compare to the UA 610 S ? Does it have Mojo or is it clean ?
Old 16th August 2008
member no 666

I think it eats the 610 for breakfast, ****s it out before lunch, and has no remorse in the middle... but I'm an asshole so I would say something like that.

It has as much "mojo" as you want to dial into it or it can run pretty cleanly [ya know... like a good tube amp should]... it's very much up to the operator on how they want to use the unit.

I like the flexibility quite a bit... but as always, YMMV.

Peace.
Old 16th August 2008
Jai guru deva om

I've had serial # 3 & 4 in here for a while now... thumbsup

War
Old 17th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
I think it eats the 610 for breakfast, ****s it out before lunch, and has no remorse in the middle...
Fletcher,

hmmm... OK ! How about some sonic comparsion instead ?

Thanks !
Old 9th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
I've had serial # 3 & 4 in here for a while now...
You sure have. Ready to tell us what they sound like?

Old 9th October 2008
I've got one here, I haven't had a chance to do much A/B'ing lately, but the build quality looks excellent. Hopefully I should be able to check it out sometime next week.
Old 9th October 2008
Gear Head

it sounds very clear and open with a hint of thickness that you would expect from a tube pre amp. i don't know how they powered a tbue with a lunchbox but it keeps good company with our manley pre's
Old 9th October 2008
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
You sure have. Ready to tell us what they sound like?

Yes, I am by now!

The Tubule has a nice, big round bottom and a somewhat smoothed out midrange response that I really dig. It offers great transient response on drums and acoustic sources without ripping your ears off. I really enjoy it on electric guitars, and it has a very nice range of push on el gtr also. Vocals are big with a controlled low end (not woofy) and have lots of AIR.

Next week I will be releasing our new preamp tests, which are fair and repeatable, and the Tubule 500 was in the first batch. Trust me, it fares very well against any other pre.

War
Old 10th October 2008
Lives for gear

Two showed up in the studio where I work so I used em...

They rock!

Nice low end to it that seems to really kick ass on electric guitars. Vocals (especially baritone) sound kick ass through it as well.

Seems to have a wide range of tone to it.... from clean to some thickness....

Anyone else want to chime in with thoughts other than these fine gentleman above me?
Old 10th October 2008
Sweet, mellow, clear and euphonic with a nice sheen to the top and a load of defining bottom LOVE that cannot be denied on any source.

+1 for the Tubule!
Old 13th October 2008
Gear Maniac

would love to hear some samples!!

I've been waiting for this...
Old 1st January 2009
Gear Addict

Best Power Supply?

Folks, what best options are you finding to power this unit? A regular lunchbox or something like a Purple Sweet 10 or other?
Old 7th January 2009
Lives for gear

We've been using a new 6-slot API lunchbox for all our testing and demonstrations. It's worked just fine so far. I'm not in love with it, but it's worlds better than the older lunchboxes which in my opinion were an embarrassment. The power supply runs a bit warm, but not self-destructingly hot like the lunchboxes of yore. So they've come a long way into the realm of legitimate product. But I'm also very impressed with the Purple Sweet 10, which seems to be very well built and has some nice features. Andrew's definitely determined to sell only quality merchandise.

But the Tubule doesn't have any unusual or excessive power supply needs. It uses about 90mA, well under the specified limit, and performs best when there is 48V available on pin 15 (it works fine without it - just loses a fraction of a dB of headroom). So any standard rack and power supply will work as well with the Tubule as it will with most other modules.
Old 12th January 2009
Gear Maniac

Just tried out my new tubule for a electric guitar guitar session. Had 2 57's and a 421 hooked up to API 312's, and decided to change the pre on one of the 57's, since it lacked some lower mids and a more smooth top. We ran (or, actually, do - we're still tracking) the Tubule pretty hot - and, whoa! What a difference between the API and the Tubule. Thick, yet firm low end, and sparkeling highs. Kinda makes the 57 a lot more ribbon-like...
Can't wait to do more tracking with the Tubule - especially acoustic guitar and vocals!
Old 12th January 2009
Gear Addict

Tubule or Tabule?heh
Old 12th January 2009
Gear Maniac

Tubule or not Tubule... heh
Old 12th January 2009
Lives for gear
So...is the Input knob a passive attenuator, or does it add output gain also..? Thanks......
Old 12th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatchman View Post
So...is the Input knob a passive attenuator, or does it add output gain also..? Thanks......
The input knob is just an attenuator, and it only goes from 0 to -10dB. It's there to cover the gaps between the 3dB steps on the gain control. I like gear to be fully recallable, and with only 10dB on the full rotation of the pot, you can eyeball it, or mark it with a grease pencil, and get an accurate recreation of a previous setting.

An added functionality of the input pot is a result of the way the audio circuit works. Like many feedback-controlled amplifiers, the Tubule has more coloration at high gain settings than it does at low gain settings. For a particular desired total gain, you have a couple of choices of how to set the thing. I suggest always starting out with the input knob all the way up, and dialing in the gain you need. Then, if you want to get a little more coloration, you can turn the gain control up another 1-3 clicks, and compensate by turning down the input knob. For even more, you can engage the -20dB input pad (which is ahead of the input transformer) and then turn the preamp up another 6-7 clicks. The idea is not to overload the preamp and make it clip, but simply to run it at a higher setting of the gain control switch. Attenuating the signal coming in by use of the input pad and/or the input attenuator pot allows you to do so without clipping.
Old 14th January 2009
Gear Addict

Couple questions

So the Purple Sweet Ten sounds like the best powering option, or the API VPR 10 rack or other? Also, how easy is it to maintain and replace tubes AND can we swap out the tube and use a Mullard or Telefunken?
Old 14th January 2009
Here for the gear

Tubule and Folcrum

Justin,

How do the two of these pair together?
Old 14th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currie View Post
How do the two of these pair together?
Like sex and candy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrooveMerchant View Post
Also, how easy is it to maintain and replace tubes AND can we swap out the tube and use a Mullard or Telefunken?
The tube is run pretty conservatively so it'll last an extremely long time. There's no reason you should need to replace it during your lifetime. But it's also very easy to replace. Any 12DW7, ECC832, 7247 will work. I've found the JJ tubes used in production to be very good. I've also had good results with the NOS GE and Philips tubes I've used. The Philips were lower noise than the GE (not that noise was a problem in any case). There are plenty of tubes available on the market, and unlike the 12AX7, They aren't overpriced and they aren't all picked over with only the weak, noisy, microphonic specimens left.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Head
We bought two of these from Rich at Lunchbox Audio. Fired the first one up at our North Carolina VoiceOver studio. WOW. Like everyone has said. Nice, tight low end..really clean punchy mids with a crisp, but not harsh or grainy high end. The cool thing to us is that using a good condenser mic, you can drive that tube with a little more vigor and get a beautiful vintage sound. We put the second one in the Atlanta studios and had the same results. We use the same mics in all studios, and I was so impressed I asked for a THIRD Tubule for our remote mic processing box that we use in a motorhome. I have recorded several national commercial projects with rave reviews on the mic sound from the post people. It is a winner! Thank you Rolls Music!!

BTW we are using the Emperical 2 slot 500 racks.

Last edited by jefflaur1; 4th September 2011 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: Typo

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search