The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tannoy Ellipse IDP Monitors
Old 11th March 2005
Gear Head

Tannoy Ellipse IDP Monitors

These look really sweet.
http://www.tannoy.com/Ellipse8iDP

Has anyone here used them?

Does the dual concentric driver make much difference to the stereo imaging?
Any bad points?

Old 12th March 2005
Fantastic monitors. The dual concentric gives you a much larger sweet spot. Plus the tweeter on top works very nicely with it. Like most monitors, each company gives their speakers a certain character. I personally love them to death.
Old 12th March 2005
Gear Head

Do you use them with the sub?

An are they flattering or brutally honest?

Thanks
Old 26th May 2009
Lives for gear

I am surprised that no one has really talked about these monitors too much. They are suppose to be really great and as good as Focals and Adams monitors. Tannoy Ellipse 10 IDP & TS212 IDP

Do any of you have these Tannoy's or have heard them in a studio? Are they as good some have told me?
Old 26th May 2009
Lives for gear

I've heard them and thought they sounded fine...the imaging was spectacular...but they just weren't my cup of tea compared to, say, the Adam monitors in the same price range (or, more recently, the new Opals from Event). The Tannoys did seem a little on the brighter side to me...but that was just a question of personal preference more than anything.

They have been around for years, though, and it's true that you don't read much about them...
Old 27th May 2009
Lives for gear

I totally believe monitors are a personal preference and you need to hear as many as possible. For me, the Tannoy idp's were it.. Beautiful imaging and frequency response. I have a full 5.2 rig with 5 idp8's and 2 (TS212 idp) dual 12" side firing subs (yeah a bit overkill). To my ears these are some of the best speakers made. I listened to Dynaudio Airs, Adams, Genelecs, K&H and the smaller Quested. I believe my 2nd choice were the Quested or K&H's forllowed by the rest. Aside from the sound, the remote and bass management software is incredible and can store presets. These aren't cheap (About $15K for a 5.1 rig) but the sound and functionality for me was a no brainer. I haven't heard a monitor I liked better yet, again...for me. Everyone hears things differently and too many people hype products without hearing the competition. Try to listen to as much as possible and decide what is best for you. Good Luck!

Old 27th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King View Post
I totally believe monitors are a personal preference and you need to hear as many as possible. For me, the Tannoy idp's were it.. Beautiful imaging and frequency response. I have a full 5.2 rig with 5 idp8's and 2 (TS212 idp) dual 12" side firing subs (yeah a bit overkill). To my ears these are some of the best speakers made. I listened to Dynaudio Airs, Adams, Genelecs, K&H and the smaller Quested. I believe my 2nd choice were the Quested or K&H's forllowed by the rest. Aside from the sound, the remote and bass management software is incredible and can store presets. These aren't cheap (About $15K for a 5.1 rig) but the sound and functionality for me was a no brainer. I haven't heard a monitor I liked better yet, again...for me. Everyone hears things differently and too many people hype products without hearing the competition. Try to listen to as much as possible and decide what is best for you. Good Luck!

NICE!
Old 27th May 2009
Lives for gear

I have the non-IDP version and I love them. The do sound a bit lean out of the box but they get better after a few weeks. The imaging is some of the best I've heard. As far as accuracy, I'd say they're middle of the road, not too flattering but not too brutal either.
Old 17th September 2013
Gear Head

Anybody out there who uses the Tannoy Ellipse and can comment on them and tell a bit about experiences with those?
Old 18th September 2013
Gear Nut

I've been working professionally with a pair of Tannoy Ellipses (analog, non-IDP) for about eight years now.

They are fine monitors (very happy with them): precise, non-fatiguing, consistent when listened to at different levels, very good at presenting panoramic and spacial elements.

They can easily be used as full range monitors without a sub. One has the option to use these monitors as ported or as closed (they have been designed to allow the operator to experiment with two different signatures of reproduction by closing the reflex ports with foam plugs).
Old 18th September 2013
Lives for gear

got a pair of 10iDP recently, bought the Dynaudio volume controller for it (same stuff just different oem branding, the technology is from tc electronic), works flawlessly. Wonderful speakers, great to configure and tuneable to fit one's room and preferences, love the option to feed them digitally, love the digital volume controller with 100% non changing stereo center in any position. they have a very accurate way to present transients, for me the translation regarding transients is perfect, even better than my main speakers (Quested V3110), even though I prefer the Questeds for critical EQing. With the Questeds I feel like I am in the mix whereas the Tannoys let me look at the mix, they complement each other perfectly although it is easily possible to work on just one of them exclusively. I like the sound of the Tannoys a lot and somehow they put focus on exactly those aspects of the sound that are most important for translation to other (real life) playback systems. It's a shame that they were discontinued. Guess it's easier for companies to make profit with thousand lowend sales than with ten highend sales.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Head

thanks. very informative!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search