The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drum Replacement
Old 22nd February 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

If it goes on your site, I'd check it out. Still haven't found anywhere to d-load some Clutch (computer's too ****ty to play most streaming stuff). I saw they recorded at your place.
Old 23rd February 2003
There is only one

i did some live shows with them @ 9:30 club, some of what was recorded ended up on 'pure rock fury'... i also shot video of them at the shows as well. the first show i got a wicked drum solo on video thats simply amazing. i also recorded the bakerton group which is 3/4th's of clutch... great sessions.

and they are playing here in town this wednesday... hell yeah. with suplecs, another kick ass stoner band.
Old 23rd February 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Kick down some video.
Old 24th March 2003
Gear Head

Drum adder not replacer

http://www.digidesign.com/digizine/a...edia/index.cfm

check out my 2 cents on SR

Glen
Old 24th March 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Drum adder not replacer

Quote:
Originally posted by GlenGain
http://www.digidesign.com/digizine/a...edia/index.cfm

check out my 2 cents on SR

Glen
I like that idea. A dynamically consistent , real sounding spread for needy snares.

My beefs with SR, namely the inability for it to diferentiate between hits at nearly full scale, would not affect your trick, as a matter of fact, it probably helps.

BTW nice article, some other nice ideas

take care
Old 25th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Sofa King
Now triggering,
The problem ive found with sound replacer and the like is that they only look at dynamics for sample choice.
For example, lets say the drummer plays a 1 bar fill of 16th notes, all at triple forte. Then sound replacer says, "Oh loud, ok lets put the loud sample on"
So now you got 32 rapid fire, machine gun like, same samples.

Horrible.
Maybe I'm not following you Sofa but if you change the dynamics fader in Soundreplacer, doesn't that adjust your dynamics so you don't get the rapid fire effect? Esspecially when you trigger 3 samples at 3 different thresholds. Did I miss something?
Old 25th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
Maybe I'm not following you Sofa but if you change the dynamics fader in Soundreplacer, doesn't that adjust your dynamics so you don't get the rapid fire effect? Esspecially when you trigger 3 samples at 3 different thresholds. Did I miss something?
Maybe,
In my experience, sound replacer can only differentiate between pretty decent jumps in velocity.
The kind of jumps a consistent professional drummer, hopefully hitting consistent similar dynamics, will not display.
The long and the short of it is, the drummers I work with, I only seem to trigger one velocity layer.

Unless it’s a ghost note, crescendo or decrescendo, it seems to be seeing just the top velocity.

The example I gave in my previous post was one of a typical FFF snare fill ala Cheap Tricks "Surrender". Sound Replacer would see those triggers as the top velocity level, and assign one sample to all of them.
That one sample repeating like 12 times in a row.

So I guess I wish there was greater resolution in the velocity fader to combat scenario 1
And a "rotating" or "successive /repeating" note option so even when you are at full velocity, there would be note variation at that level.

Hopefully that clears up my point

Thanks
Old 25th March 2003
Lives for gear

I think I dig what you are saying now... I wish SR had a TDM version that you could automate. Kinda like how gates you wish you could automate your gates on a console to have different thersehold velocies?
📝 Reply