The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Soundelux...U99 or E47? Condenser Microphones
Old 17th February 2003
Lives for gear

Soundelux...U99 or E47?

I've reached the point where I would like to get a supernice "go to" condenser for the studio.Currently my best mics are Soundelux u195,AT 4050,Royer 121 and Sennheiser 441.
I am needing a great vocal mic....it would be great if it could pull double duty on Gtrs,Drums,Percussion.

I haven't been in love with the U195 as a vocal mic...seems at times too"raspy" at least thru my APIs...usually prefer the 4050.

I'm looking at the SounDelux U99 and E47....I know these mics are two different designs and are different sonically speaking.
Unfortunately I don't have a chance to really audition either of the mics,so I am seeking some feedback on either the 47 or 99.

Which would be more useful/flexible in a small studio?
Old 17th February 2003
Tell us what you want to hear. They are both large sounding microphones with a nice amount of coloration. If you want to hear a more solid sounding microphone (but by no means dark) with a mostly linear top end and a bit of a rise (sounds like slightly above 12k to me), go for the E47. If you want a mic with a high mid presence peak (3-5k?) with quite a bit in the air frequencies (above 10k?) also, go for the U99. I believe the U99 has a little more in the lows also, but because of it's high frequencies it's not always as obvious to my ear...it comes off as brighter, but still smooth. I personally find the E47 to be far more utility and flexible. 9/10 times it works, especially on instruments. The U99 doesn't get as much general usage as the E47, but when it hits on the right source it of course sounds spot on. Try both and see what's right for you.
Old 17th February 2003
Lives for gear

Thanks Nathan...Tough choices..... How does the U195 sound compared to either the 99 or 47....particularly on vocals?
(At least that will give me somewhat of a reference point)
Old 17th February 2003
That's kind of hard to put in words, I'll try though. The U195 doesn't have the upper mid boost of the U99. It's not as detailed as the U99, the U195 is smoothed over and forgiving. Lip smacks & breath noises are more audible on the U99. They aren't interchangeable regardless of the mode the U195 is in.

The E47 is more open and clearer in the low mids than the U195 to my ears. It's a bigger sounding & also more detailed microphone, but generally flatter in frequency response than the U99. But I've noticed that the E47 and U195 are interchangeable in a lot of applications. Both fare well on overheads, kick drum, acoustic guitars...just imagine adding twice the size, depth and clarity to the U195 in addition to having sweepable polar patterns.
Old 19th February 2003
Gear Maniac

The U99 cops the U67. What are some popular recodings with this if you know, Nathan.

Also, give us your discription and uses for the other Soundelux mics: the 251 and iFET7

I am debating between he E 47 and the 251 for a "go to" condensor for my home studio. Mostly for vocals.

I am also considering the less expensive Brauner and anything else you recommend.
Old 19th February 2003
Originally posted by Sir Bob
The U99 cops the U67. What are some popular recodings with this if you know, Nathan.

Hi Bob--I'm not sure which popular recordings have used a U99, I'm sure I could find out for you though. The U99 has more top than the few U67's I've heard. Maybe a recapped excellent condition U67 would sound identical or really close, not sure.

Also, give us your discription and uses for the other Soundelux mics: the 251 and iFET7

The 251 has an extended top that sounds like silk, and a slightly scooped low mid, less high mid than the U99. I've written a short review of the Ifet7 on our site. They all work equally as well on vocals, it really depends on the vocalist's voice. There is no one perfect mic, although some tend to be more ultilitarian in their sonic approach.

I am debating between he E 47 and the 251 for a "go to" condensor for my home studio. Mostly for vocals.

I don't know if either is more "go to", they are both great....sometimes they work like magic on certain vocals, sometimes they don't fit the singer's voice. They are complimentary to each other, and together they pretty much cover the whole spectrum of tones. Would you reserve a mic of this caliber only for vocals though? They make over the top instrument mics too (especially on kick drum ).

I am also considering the less expensive Brauner and anything else you recommend.

I think you are referring to the Phantom C. It's recently gone up a bit in price due to the Euro to Dollar exchange rate. Great microphone, very large open clean sound with a nice balance between the top and bottom frequencies. It's got a big proximity up close, nice open top from further away.

However, nothing will be a substitute for you to hear these in your own environment, and I'm not doing the sound of these mics justice by describing it in words. The best we can do here is help you narrow it down a little. Good Luck!
Old 19th February 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Soundelux...U99 or E47?

Quote:
Originally posted by Saucyjack

I'm looking at the SounDelux U99 and E47....I know these mics are two different designs and are different sonically speaking.
Unfortunately I don't have a chance to really audition either of the mics,so I am seeking some feedback on either the 47 or 99.

Which would be more useful/flexible in a small studio?
I've just gone through the process of comparing precisely those mics, along with the Brauner Phantom. The 99 does sound somewhat like my 67's, but it is brighter and doesn't quite have the same big, tangible 3-D quality of a 67. Not quite, but close. My fave of the three. The E47 I borrowed had a very low output and a response that approached fig 8 (in cardioid mode), so I think it was broken. In spite of that, it did seem 47-ish, but I'd have to try another one to get a fair impression.

The Brauner is very bright and didn't have much character on the vocalists I used it on. On shaker, tambourine, and mandolin it was consistently bright and smooth, but required quite a bit of high shelving, and never seemed to have much "tangible" character, which is a very subjective judgement and the best I can express it. A friend tried it on some operatic sopranos and found it to be too bright, but did like it on some Middle Eastern string instruments. BTW, the mic does have some hefty low end, but it seems pitched a bit low to be useful in my applications. I'm guessing it will sound nice on background vocalists and piano, which is what I'm going to try next. Both Nathan and Fletcher seem to really like this mic so I'm going to keep looking at it, but so far I'm not as impressed as they are. Very nice build quality, however--makes me want to check out their higher end tube mics.

FWIW, we were using the GR-1NV, Phoenix DRS-2, and Frank DeMedio custom preamps in these evaluations.

-R
Old 20th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
...give us your discription and uses for the other Soundelux mics: the 251 and iFET7

Hi Sir Bob - I own an ELUX 251 that I use when recording my own vox. The ELUX adds great presence to vocals (not hyped though) and as Nathan said, it has an airy top end that gives vocals a very intimate feel. It's a fantastic mic, I couldn't be happier with the results I get from it.
Old 20th February 2003
member no 666

Re: Re: Soundelux...U99 or E47?

Quote:
Originally posted by RKrizman
The Brauner is very bright and didn't have much character on the vocalists I used it on.
Exactly the reason I like it... it is a wonderful "other tool in the arsenal" piece that has many uses when juxtaposed to the other tools in my world.

Often, I will run into situations where I am surrounded by 'character pieces'... these 'characters' can add up to collection of 'personalities' without a 'straight man'.

Where would the Marx Brothers have been without Margaret DuMont? The "Stooges" aren't funny until you juxtapose their antics with that of the 'straight world'... hence the charm of the Phantom "C"... while many (OK- most) of the other in my sphere have a distinct tone, texture, character and personality... the Phantom C is a marvelously juxtaposed tool that really allows the full charm, depth and character of a recording to be fully realized.
Old 20th February 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Re: Re: Soundelux...U99 or E47?

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
the Phantom C is a marvelously juxtaposed tool that really allows the full charm, depth and character of a recording to be fully realized.
Right...., no oakey nose or cherry/chocolate aftertaste. Just a crisp yet delicate Chardonnay with a clean flavor that blends well with most foods. Serve lightly chilled.

-R

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search