The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
*** Attention Toronto Studio's***** Consoles
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

*** Attention Toronto Studio's*****

The P.A.L. show is coming up in just under 2 weeks and if you're interested in going pm me so I can register you for your ID pass as a guest of Studio Economik. They will be there as representatives for API and will have a 1608 on hand. They will also have shadow hills, Telefunken and possibly Aurora audio and Anamod to name just a few. SSL will also be at the show as well as all the other usual suspects. I'd also appreciate it if you can let me know of any Toronto studios that may be interested.

If this is in the wrong section i apologize and ask that you kindly move it for me. Thanks
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

I must be out of it. What's the PAL Show? If names like that are going to be bringing their products out to Toronto, I definitely want to be there!
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

if you are talking about the MIAC Show, I don't see any of those manufacturers in the exhibitor list....
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iangomes View Post
if you are talking about the MIAC Show, I don't see any of those manufacturers in the exhibitor list....
Pro audio and Lighting show. Studio Economiks booth will have all the products I mentioned above and I was told by the owner that SSL will also have a booth there. Studio Economik has a anamod ats but they are still working on getting an 660 as well as a shadowhills mastering compressor!
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

if you have the mastering compressor, pm me and i'll see you there...
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear

Home studio owners are welcome as well!
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

I just got off the phone with Francois. I think the confusion on the show is due to the fact that Studio Economik only decided to have a booth last week or so. The booth will be 30ft by 10ft and in addition to the products I stated before they will have, Focal Monitors, Oktava, Telefunken, AKG, Neumann and Gefell microphones. Pendulum, Massive Passives, Vintech, A-designs, AMS-Neve, BCM-1073, All API and RND portico modules! They will be running logic audio as well and I confirmed that there will be an SSL booth there through HHB. So yea if you want listen to some of this stuff, it will all be there.
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

This will be the last update as you can now go to Studio Economik - The expert for pro-audio equipment - L'expert pour l'équipement pro-audio and register as well as see a product listing of what they'll be bringing. As they won't be able to hook everything up at the booth, let me know what most of you would like to play with when you go there and I'll let him know!
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

First I've heard of this: just registered and hope to see you, and others there! thumbsupthumbsup
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

sh sh sh sh !!!
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

how come no ones replying on what they'd like to have hooked up? For sure its the API 1608 with the Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor, the retro 176 but nothing is set in stone for the rest of the stuff! There bringing a rack of everything and I mean everything lol so let me know!
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

the hammer would be nice too.
i think i'm going to bring a file or two to test out some gear if that's okay
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iangomes View Post
the hammer would be nice too.
i think i'm going to bring a file or two to test out some gear if that's okay
Yea there would be no problem with that at all. The hammer will be there with the all the other A-designs stuff, so I'll pass the message on to them!
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistaD View Post
This will be the last update as you can now go to Studio Economik - The expert for pro-audio equipment - L'expert pour l'équipement pro-audio and register as well as see a product listing of what they'll be bringing. As they won't be able to hook everything up at the booth, let me know what most of you would like to play with when you go there and I'll let him know!
if possible, highest priority is the AM660 up and working. Hammer would also be great.

I'm personally not interested in any microphones (tradeshow floor - ugh...)

PS - where is the location?!? (maybe I missed it on Economik's site?)

Thx,
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

AM660 and Hammer will be hooked up!!!! If you'd like to hear your projects just bring an audio cd!!!!
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

so how did it all go for those that went??
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

I'll reprint what I wrote a few days ago - GS was down when I posted this to a couple other bb's - here it is, with a small addition at the bottom:

"This is not a full trial tested evaluation by any means - merely a first impression I feel worth mentioning. I have NO affiliation with ANY manufacturer.

I attended the MIAC/PAL tradeshow in Toronto a few hrs ago. Studio Econmik (Montreal) had a very nicely outfitted booth, and I had the chance to meet the guys from Quebec, (Francois, Marc-Andre, etc.), shake some hands, and get down to checking out the AM660 (through Beyer DT770's).

I gotta say, I think they have a winner here. I've never actually heard a 660 or 670 in person. To be honest, I don't really care - this thing should stand on it's own merit regardless. The time constraint settings are each so unique - I can most def. see it's versatility for many applications with those variety of settings. The only caveat is - as so many things in 500 format - the feel is cramped, and the VU is nice, but soooooo miniscule, it sorta feels like a joke (WORLD"S smallest VU meter!) and I'd laugh if the damn thing didn't SOUND so compelling! Obviously, I'd benefit more having a pr to knock around for awhile in my own environ than on a floor there, but first impressions are extremely positive...

I also had the good fortune to audition a Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor. OMG!!! Words cannot express how awesomely breathtaking it is to both see, and esp. HEAR. If I die tomorrow, at least I was able to twist the dials and pass signal through this beast. In one word:

Unfrigginbelieveable...

I can't recall a build quality like this for a very long time. Everything on it feels (and looks) top notch. Beautiful switches, relays, all dials felt like butter, and the opto-light diode located bottom centre was icing on the cake. I think this beast is 6 RU, and is worthy of every rack space. In my short time with it, I found it to be an extremely versatile piece of gear. Between opto or discrete, iron, steel, or nickel transformers, I consider it's steep price tag, and extended delivery time well worth it. I totally envy it's future owner. Peter, you are making wonderful gear - keep up the terrific work."

BTW - I also met Alan Hyatt (PMI) - kind of funny how it happened - he came to tell me the knobs I was twisting on the much anticipated A Range EQ wouldn't do me any good - it was a faceplate only - non working prototype!!! Very nice to have a fun run through the Toft ATB (I was on the ATB24, mixing a Joe Messina commercial through 14 or so channels...) - gotta say, I like the board: mix-bus sound is very good, and I played alot with the EQ - most def. a HUGE selling point for this desk. Not the same as the other choices I know and love, but it would be VERY easy to apply basic EQ'ing, and I feel I could mix competently on these boards, even tho it feels cramped - esp to those who were raised on large frame units. As a sidenote, I did have a very interesting conversation re: the much anticipated meterbridge and A/D card: anyone wanting to know more better PM me...

thats it in a nutshell - great to meet the folks there, and a few hrs well spent!

Thx for the headsup!!! thumbsupthumbsup
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

I saw your post over at another forum.... glad you had good time.... How many people would you say showed up? And was there a decent crowd over at the the Studio Economik booth? Its funny that the 2 things you spent the most time on are to of the things that I'm looking to pick up fairly soon! I'm really interested in the Anamod 660 and the Toft atb 32. Im going to hold out for the AES show before i commit to anything!
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

I made it too! the SHMC was awesome. Just awesome. I wasn't so much interested in the Anamod, but I got to check out tonnes of gear that I have always wanted to. Totally worth it, thanks economik friends!
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistaD View Post
How many people would you say showed up? And was there a decent crowd over at the the Studio Economik booth? Its funny that the 2 things you spent the most time on are to of the things that I'm looking to pick up fairly soon! I'm really interested in the Anamod 660 and the Toft atb 32. Im going to hold out for the AES show before i commit to anything!
I can't say how many showed - always lots of retailers/reps in and out of the booths, but reg. clientele - I think there were about 6 'customer' types in my 90 minutes there, so not a lot. The guys from Economik were interested to know I attended due to the post here at GS!

In my limited time with the ATB, I'd say - it really depends on what your needs are. To be honest, if the meterbridge is a big priority for you, I'd reconsider. The A/D card is more than likely NOT going to happen, but should not be a deal breaker as there are WAY too many options out there to accomodate A/D solutions. The nice thing is it is NOT surface mount, and will not be disposable junk once something goes down. Completely serviceable unit, so it should have a full lifetime of service. They have another company's faders (from Taiwan) instead of the Selmarks, and Alan mentioned if the interest is there from buyers to improve the faders further, Malcolm and he would consider moving up to P&G's ($500 +-) at cost to the end user. Def. a NICE option for those wanting to make an ATB a GREAT mixing desk...

As for the Anamod AM660 - only YOU will know whether or not it floats your boat. I think it sounds VERY good, and the Time Constraint variations show it's versatility nicely. That said, it's not cheap for a pr. ($2400) and there are a LOT of other comps available for that price (+-). Otherwise, I think it could be a totally useful comp., and I don't care how it compares to the orig. - it sounds musical enough that I'd prolly use it all the time...

cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search