The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BEst Comp/limiter for $2k? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 16th February 2003
Lives for gear
BEst Comp/limiter for $2k?

I wasn't going to buy one of these until I could afford the Slam but I'd like an extra comp, like real soon I can't wait for the slam, so what's the best comp/limiter for around $2k?
I have an api 525, and the reissue 1176, and some other cheap stuff but I'd like to get something with more control that will sound great on most things. So, dbx,tracker,fatso,api25oo,distressor,smart, or ideas?
daniel
Old 16th February 2003
Lives for gear

ALESIS 3660, Behringer Composer... LOL.. he he he he

seriosuly..

Ditressor
Daking
UA 1176
RNC!!!! how they do it i jsut dont know!

off the top of me head..

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 16th February 2003
Gear Maniac

yep the 3630 is nothing less than a sonic marvelfuuck
Old 16th February 2003
Gear Addict

I'd go with a Distressor or DBX 160VU. Throw in a bit more dosh and make it an LA2A to go please.
Old 16th February 2003
Re: BEst Comp/limiter for $2k?

Quote:
Originally posted by FOURTHTUNZ
I wasn't going to buy one of these until I could afford the Slam but I'd like an extra comp, like real soon I can't wait for the slam, so what's the best comp/limiter for around $2k?
I have an api 525, and the reissue 1176, and some other cheap stuff but I'd like to get something with more control that will sound great on most things. So, dbx,tracker,fatso,api25oo,distressor,smart, or ideas?
daniel
I guess with the amount you would like to spend and from your list, your best bet would be a Trakker. 2 channels for $2K is out of the question, but you can still do something with one.

With a little more cash your options open up some.
Old 16th February 2003
Lives for gear

best comp

for my money, the 1176 (reissue) is the best "under $2k comp/limiter" out there. It has the flexibility to sound good on many things and unbeatable on a few. And it has a full complement of useful controls (unlike, say an LA2A) so its not just a one trick pony. But you already have one of those and don't seem to want another. (I REALLY want a second 1176, myself).

So, how about a Distressor; heck, a Distressor and an RNC should come in under $2k.

But if you really want a stereo unit, the Manley - Langevin Elop is about the only unit I can think of (other than RNC) that does what you are looking for. There are other cool stereo units under $2k, like the Joe Meek, but they are not in your "best comp" category, however useful and cool they happen to be.

steve
[email protected]
Old 16th February 2003
Lives for gear
Re: Re: BEst Comp/limiter for $2k?

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
I guess with the amount you would like to spend and from your list, your best bet would be a Trakker. 2 channels for $2K is out of the question, but you can still do something with one.

With a little more cash your options open up some.
Ok, I'm a slut, how about $3k?
thanks
danielrollz
Old 16th February 2003
EAR 660 ??

http://www.ear-yoshino.com/news/news.asp?ID=80

I give my right er whatsit, to have one.... One day!

Old 16th February 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
EAR 660 ??

http://www.ear-yoshino.com/news/news.asp?ID=80

I give my right er whatsit, to have one.... One day!

Hey Jules an EAR 660 is great, but its not what i would call versatile(its my favorite go to tracking vocal comp).

And its way more than $2k!!!

$3K won't even cut it.

Try closer to $4K and some change.heh
Old 16th February 2003
Lives for gear
Re: best comp

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hollywood_steve
[B]for my money, the 1176 (reissue) is the best "under $2k comp/limiter" out there. It has the flexibility to sound good on many things and unbeatable on a few. And it has a full complement of useful controls (unlike, say an LA2A) so its not just a one trick pony. But you already have one of those and don't seem to want another. (I REALLY want a second 1176, myself).
/QUOTE]

Steve, I was thinking about another 1176 but I thought I'd go for a different flavayuktyy
Looks like the distressor is leading the pack right now.
I'd like to hear the tracker and the dbx 160sl with the digital output. Have you heard these 3? Just wondering what the diiferences are between them? Oh yeah, some day I'd like the rnc, how can you lose for the money? Thanks
daniel
Old 16th February 2003
Re: Re: Re: BEst Comp/limiter for $2k?

Quote:
Ok, I'm a slut, how about $3k?
thanks
danielrollz
Something for $3K than works great on most things?

Good question...

Have to ponder on that one a bit.
Old 16th February 2003
Lives for gear

how about the phoenix ?
Old 16th February 2003
Lives for gear

STC-8 should be on the short list...
Old 16th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by blackcatdigi
OOPS, sorry, it's a bit more loot.
Old 16th February 2003
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally posted by blackcatdigi
I was thinking about one of those but didn't want to spend that much right now, cause of other toys on the list
The tracker/stc-8 and the distressor/fatso other than stereo models what are the differences?
I know, buy all of 'emgrggt
peace
daniel
Old 16th February 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: BEst Comp/limiter for $2k?

Quote:
Something for $3K than works great on most things?

Good question...

Have to ponder on that one a bit.
Pondered on it a bit.

For $3K your best is to hit the used market.

Anything that's worth while which is new will put you over a bit and you will only have a chance to buy one(Smart C2,API 2600,LA2A,etc) which means you are stuck with one sound.

In addition to what you got, a nice tube optical is a great addition(Tubetech CL1B- used $1500-1750) great on vocals,bass,fiddle and acoustics.

A good all around workhorse comp(mainly for drums and special effects-Distressor-used $900-1050).

Lastly with what you have left, you can go in one of 5 directions/ 2 channels of each-total $500:

1)RNC-clean non obtrusive comp
2)Aphex Expressor(non tube)-underated comp
3)Urei/JBL 7110-another underated comp. More of the Urei sound for extra bass or kick tracks.
4)DBX 160x-gives you the"knock" on kicks,snares, or bass.
5) Ashley SC50-One of Fletchers underated comps, great on electric guitars.

Or the one trick pony boxes: Joe Meek SC whatever,Ridgefarm boiler compressor,SPL Transient Designer.

Some food for thought.
Old 17th February 2003
Lives for gear
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BEst Comp/limiter for $2k?

Quote:
Pondered on it a bit.

For $3K your best is to hit the used market.

Anything that's worth while which is new will put you over a bit and you will only have a chance to buy one(Smart C2,API 2600,LA2A,etc) which means you are stuck with one sound.

In addition to what you got, a nice tube optical is a great addition(Tubetech CL1B- used $1500-1750) great on vocals,bass,fiddle and acoustics.

A good all around workhorse comp(mainly for drums and special effects-Distressor-used $900-1050).

Lastly with what you have left, you can go in one of 5 directions/ 2 channels of each-total $500:

3)Urei/JBL 7110-another underated comp. More of the Urei sound for extra bass or kick tracks.
4)DBX 160x-gives you the"knock" on kicks,snares, or bass.
5) Ashley SC50-One of Fletchers underated comps, great on electric guitars.

Or the one trick pony boxes: Joe Meek SC whatever,Ridgefarm boiler compressor,SPL Transient Designer.

Some food for thought.
Thanks Thrill for a great list, gonna save this one
I guess this box will be used for mainly for vox but would like to get one that I could use for snare, then bass dubs then vocals.
I'd like to try the limiter/comp in serial on vox trick, I've never done it I really like the 1176 on vox in terms of level control but I am still getting used to its sound and operation.
The tube tech would be a little better comp than the one in my avalon 737 would you say
thanks
daniel
Old 17th February 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BEst Comp/limiter for $2k?

Quote:
The tube tech would be a little better comp than the one in my avalon 737 would you say
thanks
daniel
Not even a comparison.

I would definitely check it out.

I don't normally track with a comp on the snare(come to think of it I don't normally track either).heh

I will use different comps and EQ's on the mixdown for a snare.
Old 17th February 2003
One with big hooves

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BEst Comp/limiter for $2k?

Quote:

I really dig my Expressor's. I really wouldn't mind having a 3rd around for whatever. I've used them on just about everything and they hardly ever suck. But, when in doubt I could swap one for an RNC. The best part about the Expressors is that they're usually cheap. I paid $150 for one and $260 for the other. The stereo linking is whacked and requires a trip behind the rack and some thinking to figure out how you want it to work but even still they're great. When my DCL-200 was out on a rental I used the Aphex on the mix buss for two projects and I was pretty happy with them.
Old 17th February 2003
Distressor with Brit Mode.
Old 17th February 2003
I'd echo the Smart option (see guest forum).
You must be able to get a C1 for less than $2k can't you?
Old 17th February 2003
Lives for gear

maybe your gonna check ebay.de from time to time :

( people arent bidding here most time on high end stuff )

there was the stc-8 , tubetech stereo , neve comp for 2000 euros . i am out of money right now otherwise i would at least have bought one of them for 2k . damn .
Old 17th February 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by 5down1up
maybe your gonna check ebay.de from time to time :

( people arent bidding here most time on high end stuff )

there was the stc-8 , tubetech stereo , neve comp for 2000 euros . i am out of money right now otherwise i would at least have bought one of them for 2k . damn .

After shipping,wire transfer and VAT 2000 Euros becomes 2300(depends on import tax).
Old 17th February 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by chrisso
I'd echo the Smart option (see guest forum).
You must be able to get a C1 for less than $2k can't you?
He said his main unit should be for vocals. The C1 is a great unit, but vocals is not one of its strengths. The cheapest I've seen a C1 here in the states was $2100.
Old 17th February 2003
Lives for gear
Quote:
He said his main unit should be for vocals. The C1 is a great unit, but vocals is not one of its strengths. The cheapest I've seen a C1 here in the states was $2100.
Ok, since we're talking vocals,of the list you have above and adding the tracker and distressor, which would you use for tracking to protools?
Thanks
daniel
Old 17th February 2003
Quote:
Ok, since we're talking vocals,of the list you have above and adding the tracker and distressor, which would you use for tracking to protools?
Thanks
daniel

If you are asking discounting the TubeTech CL1B(too bad!!),

My first and only choice would be the Trakker.

I never have liked the Distressor as a tracking vocal comp, unless you had something more hi-fi before it.

I am kinda picky when it comes to vocals, especially comps. If i don't have something I like, than I prefer to track without. Most of the times I bring what I like(lately its been the EAR660), this year I will check out the GML tracking channel(i like the 8900 on vocals as an option to the "big"sound of the EAR660).

If your choices are limited to the list and or trakker/Distressor than I would choose the Trakker.
Old 17th February 2003
Lives for gear
Quote:
If you are asking discounting the TubeTech CL1B(too bad!!),

My first and only choice would be the Trakker.

I never have liked the Distressor as a tracking vocal comp, unless you had something more hi-fi before it.

I am kinda picky when it comes to vocals, especially comps. If i don't have something I like, than I prefer to track without. Most of the times I bring what I like(lately its been the EAR660), this year I will check out the GML tracking channel(i like the 8900 on vocals as an option to the "big"sound of the EAR660).

If your choices are limited to the list and or trakker/Distressor than I would choose the Trakker.
No including the Tube Tech, you like the tube tech better for tracking vocals then? Hey I want more tubes anyway, I'll check one out!
thanks
daniel
Old 17th February 2003
Quote:
I agree with the last line of this mainly. The Distressor has a great 'grab' on vocals that the Trakker doesn't quite have. The Trakker seems to be very audiophile in it's tone, and treats the audio very naturally. So the source better have it's dynamic consistency down pat. If not, I would use a little during tracking and even more compression during post. The EL-8 will put a vocal in it's place dynamically (aka head lock) without any strange artifacts. But if I use the Distressor on vocals, the preamp does have to be very hi-fi. If I want any coloration from the preamp with this combo, it has to still remain very big and open with a clear midrange. These days it's been the Old School Audio MP1-L (Lundahl input, it's a stunningly beautiful preamp) or the Phoenix DRS-2 both of which have this similar, although not identical, characteristic. Anything beyond in combination with the Distressor on vocals like a traditional Neve or my Brent A 312's are too overtly colored IMO, and is a recipe for mud. But the more obvious character preamps tend to work better with the Trakker. The Trakker counteracts the tone from the preamps that I sometimes view as being 'bandpass', giving the overall vibe a bit more balance.
Old 17th February 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred

But if I use the Distressor on vocals, the preamp does have to be very hi-fi.
Hey Nathan,

I meant an EQ more than a mic pre.

I think on the whole the Distressor is a little on the "dull and thin" side. But those characteristics is what makes it great when mixing drums. You can sneak it up under your drum tracks and it blends nicely.

I think when mixing vocals, the Trakker is actually pretty good. If you have a vocal that's been tracked great, than its neutrality actually works great for keeping it "there" with out too much coloration. Sometimes this is just the ticket. Other times its not.
Old 17th February 2003

Hey Nathan,

I meant an EQ more than a mic pre.

You mean as in put a neutral EQ before the Distressor while tracking? Not sure if I would do either, but YMMV.

I think on the whole the Distressor is a little on the "dull and thin" side.

I find it to be somewhat accentuated in the high mids when in Distortion 2 mode. Do you hear it as a sort of bandpass type filter/effect. I can see that to an extent on certain settings.

But those characteristics is what makes it great when mixing drums. You can sneak it up under your drum tracks and it blends nicely.

Agreed.

I think when mixing vocals, the Trakker is actually pretty good.

Agreed, actually very great IMO.

If you have a vocal that's been tracked great, than its [The Trakker's] neutrality actually works great for keeping it "there" with out too much coloration. Sometimes this is just the ticket. Other times its not.

3/3

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search