The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BEst Comp/limiter for $2k? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 17th February 2003
  #31
Lives for gear
At the risk ofdfegad you off, I'd like to add one more to the mix:
what do you think of the avalon 2044 compared to the others above? Thanks
daniel
Old 18th February 2003
  #32
Quote:
Originally posted by FOURTHTUNZ
At the risk ofdfegad you off, I'd like to add one more to the mix:
what do you think of the avalon 2044 compared to the others above? Thanks
daniel
Honestly I don't.

I had one for about a year and in that time I only used it for my background submixes(especially for situations where the backgrounds were sounding too "peaky"). I didn't really like it for anything else. I got rid of it a while back and replaced it with the Buzz Audio OCL 1.1, which has now been replaced with the TSL-1 stereo tube comp by Inwards Connection.

I find the TSL-1 much more versatile(it can do the colored opto thing as well as the neutral tube thing). I like it alot.

I personally was not fond of the 2044. I thought it was good(and it would impress the hell out of everybody with its looks) but not good enough for me to keep.

If you want a good optical comp for recording vocals at a nice price, than you can't beat the CL1B. It beats lots of comps for this purpose alone. Especially the expensive one's.

I think if you track with the CL1B and you mix the vocals with something like the Trakker(and a nice EQ), you should have something you like(and so will your clients).
Old 23rd February 2003
  #33
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor


If you want a good optical comp for recording vocals at a nice price, than you can't beat the CL1B. It beats lots of comps for this purpose alone. Especially the expensive one's.

I think if you track with the CL1B and you mix the vocals with something like the Trakker(and a nice EQ), you should have something you like(and so will your clients).
You were so right
I like it alot on vox and bass,gonna compare more tomorrowheh
Thanks
daniel
Old 23rd February 2003
  #34
Quote:
Originally posted by FOURTHTUNZ
You were so right
I like it alot on vox and bass,gonna compare more tomorrowheh
Thanks
daniel
You are welcome.

Good luck.
Old 23rd February 2003
  #35
Ted
Gear Maniac
 

Hey Thrill,

Tried the Atomic Squeeze Box?

Thanks,
Ted.
Old 23rd February 2003
  #36
Quote:
Originally posted by Ted
Hey Thrill,

Tried the Atomic Squeeze Box?

Thanks,
Ted.
Ted not yet, but sometime this year I will.

Nowadays for a comp to make my rack it has to really do something useful or special. The one's that have survived over the years are going to be hard to rone for me.heh

These days I am checking out EQ's a little bit more.

What have you tried it on?
Old 23rd February 2003
  #37
Ted
Gear Maniac
 

Haven't yet. I have one coming this week to check out. I'll let you know. Have heard the new console briefly, from what I can tell it's going to be great. It's definitely clean and quiet. I love the eqs from what I can tell thus far. We are doing our first tracking in a week or so, lot's of things to finish up yet, man what a project! Overwhelming would be an understatement...

Thanks,
Ted.
Old 23rd February 2003
  #38
Quote:
Originally posted by Ted
Haven't yet. I have one coming this week to check out. I'll let you know. Have heard the new console briefly, from what I can tell it's going to be great. It's definitely clean and quiet. I love the eqs from what I can tell thus far. We are doing our first tracking in a week or so, lot's of things to finish up yet, man what a project! Overwhelming would be an understatement...

Thanks,
Ted.

Ted,

I am always weary about the "me too" stuff. I think stuff gets on the forumns and all of a sudden because so and so digs it the "I have to have it" mentality starts rearing its ugly head. The funny thing is in a month or so you'll see a bunch on them on Ebay.

I choose stuff based on what I like and what it will do for me and my projects. I am mixing on the average of 3 songs a week, so it gets harder to break in new gear. I have a flow happening, so if something is going to break it than it better be something that makes me go "damn, this thing is staying".heh

I haven't been excited about a new comp in a while. Also with the prices hiking up, to me it has to pay for itself not just sit in the rack and look pretty. Eq's to me right now are more useful. I am more interested in checking out the new Cranesong IBIS EQ. I hope Mr. Smart will come out with a new EQ. I think we need more of those than the same old rehashed sounds of the new comps.

What kinda music will you be doing over at the studio by the way?
Old 23rd February 2003
  #39
Ted
Gear Maniac
 

Mainly Contemporary Christain. We will be doing other things from time to time. I've already had a few national inquires to book stuff probably due to the desk and the 1" ATR. It's a private studio for the most part. I agree about the "all the rage of the moment" trap however I've also learned lots of good stuff that's narrowed my search down from time to time and proved worthy. I've also bought stuff, as you said, and ended up selling it right away because I didn't like it. You have to know what you want.

Thanks,
Ted.
Old 23rd February 2003
  #40
Quote:
Originally posted by Ted
Mainly Contemporary Christain. We will be doing other things from time to time. I've already had a few national inquires to book stuff probably due to the desk and the 1" ATR. It's a private studio for the most part. I agree about the "all the rage of the moment" trap however I've also learned lots of good stuff that's narrowed my search down from time to time and proved worthy. I've also bought stuff, as you said, and ended up selling it right away because I didn't like it. You have to know what you want.

Thanks,
Ted.
Wow, Contemporary Christian huh?

Its actually one market I've never really got into(even though I am getting a lot of CC mixing projects in other languages).

Will they be mostly independent projects or majors?
Old 23rd February 2003
  #41
Ted
Gear Maniac
 

Probably both. I really like working with fellow Christains, most have great attitudes/little egos to nourish/and can take advice with a smile. There's some really great talent right here in OKC too. In fact a lot of the big artists are from Oklahoma as are many of the succesful, Christain, song writers. One major is looking at doing a project here so he can be near home. We're still about a month out from being fully functional so I really haven't even pursued anything/body as of yet. It's definitely a comfortable environment. Vince and Amy Gill, Toby Keith and wife, are in my restaurant all the time and nobody ever hassles them. It's pretty laid back around here in the dust bowl but that's why I like it.

Thanks,
Ted.

I PM'd you also.
Old 24th February 2003
  #42
Lives for gear
 
subspace's Avatar
Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Honestly I don't.

I had one for about a year and in that time I only used it for my background submixes(especially for situations where the backgrounds were sounding too "peaky"). I didn't really like it for anything else. I got rid of it a while back and replaced it with the Buzz Audio OCL 1.1, which has now been replaced with the TSL-1 stereo tube comp by Inwards Connection.

I find the TSL-1 much more versatile(it can do the colored opto thing as well as the neutral tube thing). I like it alot.
I was just looking at the Buzz, I'd be interested in hearing your impressions of it. I'm thinking of it mainly as a vocal tracking/ stacking comp, where less color might be a benefit. I'd guess you were using it more for mixing duties, where it would be pressed into service for me as well. What kind of stereo program can it work on?
Old 24th February 2003
  #43
Quote:
Originally posted by subspace
I was just looking at the Buzz, I'd be interested in hearing your impressions of it. I'm thinking of it mainly as a vocal tracking/ stacking comp, where less color might be a benefit. I'd guess you were using it more for mixing duties, where it would be pressed into service for me as well. What kind of stereo program can it work on?
For vocals its not bad, its just not one of my favorites.

I liked it best on acoustic guitars.

It wasn't great on the 2 mix or for a drumsub. It worked great on stereo acoustic tracks. For that alone it kept me interested, but not for long enough(I sold it already).

If you want a transparent tube comp for vocals than I would definitely investigate the CL1B. The TSL-1 is also a good choice(its a little expensive and I like it better in the mix).

For tracking vocals right now I am using either an EAR 660,a GML8900,LA2A,Focusrite Blue 230 or nothing. It all depends on the vocalist,mic,pre and room.

There are certain comps I prefer in the mix, so I usually don't track with them. It can go the other way sometimes. The CL1B was always better for tracking vocals than mixing. I stopped using them years ago(i kinda got tired of the sound) but it is still one of the best for this purpose.

The older Summit TLA-100's are not bad either. They are great for tracking vocals(sometimes a little noisy) but not as useful in the mix(ie noise). Though it works great on a snare mult.
Old 24th February 2003
  #44
jon
Capitol Studios Paris
 
jon's Avatar
 

I've got to agree with the CL1B. Can't really go wrong with that choice. I often use it while tracking vocals after the 1073 and LA2A.

Ted, got any pix of the new place yet?
Old 25th February 2003
  #45
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally posted by jon
[B]I've got to agree with the CL1B. Can't really go wrong with that choice. I often use it while tracking vocals after the 1073 and LA2A.
B]
Jon, just wondering how you run this as I am new to the cl1-b and I don't have an LA2A, Yet....yuktyy
You run the LA2a for limit and the tubetec for mild comp?
Which is your fav vox mic with this setup, if you can pick one?
thanx
daniel
Old 25th February 2003
  #46
jon
Capitol Studios Paris
 
jon's Avatar
 

Fave vox mic depends on the vocalist and genre, but my go-to mic+pre combo is often a U47 or U67 with a 1073.

The LA2A is just for the sound, with very little GR, usually in comp mode.

With the CL1B I'm usually in the 0 to 4-5dB of GR range, maybe a bit more on some passages. I don't want to kill the vocal while tracking, just have it relatively present.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
highsage / So much gear, so little time
7
punkrock / So much gear, so little time
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump