The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
3 mics to cover most vocals Condenser Microphones
Old 11th August 2008
Gear Nut

3 mics to cover most vocals

Ive been hassitent about posting this but anyway here it goes...me and a friend of mine were planning on opening a small commercial studio facility but are on the fence about whats mics we should purchase to cover vocals...we want to atleast have 3 that would cover most any vocal...some mics in consideration where the Sony C800G, Telefunken Elam 251 E and the Neumann U87Ai...can you guys give your opinions on the versitility of these mics and any others that you would consider??
thanks for the info
Old 11th August 2008
Gear Nut

are there any places in Miami where i can demo these mics???
Old 11th August 2008
Jai guru deva om

I would consider replacing one of the mics with a high quality dynamic as mentioned. The Shure SM7B is a standard. Maybe aside from that, one darker and one brighter style condensor mic.

War
Old 11th August 2008
Gear Head

hey Rowan!

I'm a greenhorn at best (BUT) I've worked in alot of low budget facilities.

I can most definitely suggest the U87, and if that is out of you're budget then a good replacement is either a Rode NT-2 (multipattern/pad) or a Rode NT1 (the same but single patter/no pad) These are great budget mics. Probably a bit too budget for you're commercial studio.

Hope this helps and other post too. I'd love to hear eveyone's take on such a simple but interesting question.

J*808
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

The C800G and U87 are very complimentary to each other and can cover most of the voices(depends on the style of music tho).I would swap the 251 with the SM7 B. You need to match micswith the right preamp as well. No problem with the U87 but i've found the C800G rather picky. I recommend the 1073 and 737. Definitely not API tutt
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

Don't forget the AT 4050. It's relatively inexpensive and it's just right for some voices. Are you sure about wanting to spend so much for the Sony? If you get a chance to try some mics, try the Brauners, and Pelusos also
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear
When I set up my new studio about a year ago. I bought a whole lot of mics but if I had to keep just 3 for vocals it'd be my Wunder CM7, U87 and Shure SM7b. These are the ones I use the most frequently. Sometimes I pick an sm58, a re20 or a royer/coles but 90% of the time, it's one of those 3, I'll be picking up a Bock 251 in the near future and I think I'll be pretty much ready for any situation.
Old 12th August 2008
Gear Nut

thanks all

thanks for the responses...the C800g and U87 combo sounds good...no one seemed to back the Telefunken...is it more of a hit or miss type of mic??...i would really like to demo one myself...any other suggestions
Old 12th August 2008
Gear Nut

solidstate would a 1073 like clone work as well....like a Brent Everill 1073??
Old 12th August 2008
To cover all your bases you'd have a great setup if you went with:

Peluso 2247SE
Peluso P12
Peluso 22 251
BAE 1073 (as many channels as you need)

On top of that, make sure you have great conversion like the Lynx Aurora and a fantastic compressor like the DBX 160SL. Create that signal chain and it'll be hard not to get a great sound. In fact, that's my exact signal chain and I don't have too many disappointed clients.
Old 12th August 2008

I'd get

47 (probably a wunder)
sm7

narco
Old 12th August 2008
If I could live in a perfect world and I had to choose three mics I would do this:

Vintage - 1. ELAM or C12, 2. U47 or U67, 3. FET47 or U87

Newer mics - a copy/clone of one of the above, or something remotely close in frequency curve (brighter tube mic, thicker tube mic, balanced sounding lower output FET).

I'd forget about the dynamic if I had one of the FETs, they do a better job for the same application IMO.
Old 12th August 2008
Gear Nut

ive been hearing alot of good things about peluso mics...how do they stand against the higher competition??
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

Here's my picks...

1. SM7 (Ubiquitous, versatile dynamic.)

2. Wunder CM7GT, with the M7 capsule (Or, of course, the more expensive standard version, if you can afford it.)

3. Gefell UMT70S (Transformerless, detailed, multi-pattern, supremely versatile. You'll use it in many instances where you'd use an 87, but the Gefell is much, much better in my opinion, from sonics to build quality. Somebody once called this mic a "U87 killer.")

Best of luck.
D.
Old 12th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan_rashard View Post
Ive been hassitent about posting this but anyway here it goes...me and a friend of mine were planning on opening a small commercial studio facility but are on the fence about whats mics we should purchase to cover vocals...we want to atleast have 3 that would cover most any vocal...some mics in consideration where the Sony C800G, Telefunken Elam 251 E and the Neumann U87Ai...can you guys give your opinions on the versitility of these mics and any others that you would consider??
thanks for the info
I'd say Shure SM7B, Neumann U87 and U47. thumbsup
Old 12th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
The C800G and U87 are very complimentary to each other and can cover most of the voices(depends on the style of music tho).I would swap the 251 with the SM7 B. You need to match micswith the right preamp as well. No problem with the U87 but i've found the C800G rather picky. I recommend the 1073 and 737. Definitely not API tutt
i recently did a vocal session where we used C800G through the pacifica, and although i'm not the biggest fan of the pacifica (go ahead and crucify me) it worked really well with that mic and the singer. i didn't try it through the 1073, maybe next time.
Old 12th August 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post

Create that signal chain and it'll be hard not to get a great sound. In fact, that's my exact signal chain and I don't have too many disappointed clients.
But you do have people here, with a clue, who have completely tuned you out. Thanks for playing.

If you think you're gonna cover most vocals with three mics you're new. I don't care if they have 12, 251, 47, 800, or ****ing "VOCAL" in the model number of the mic. If you ignored marketing for a little while and listened to microphones you'd answer your own question. But I know, I know...common sense doesn't apply on the internet.
Old 12th August 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
To cover all your bases you'd have a great setup if you went with:

Peluso 2247SE
Peluso P12
Peluso 22 251
BAE 1073 (as many channels as you need)

On top of that, make sure you have great conversion like the Lynx Aurora and a fantastic compressor like the DBX 160SL. Create that signal chain and it'll be hard not to get a great sound. In fact, that's my exact signal chain and I don't have too many disappointed clients.

Gee... what does this guy sell for a living?

Sheesh
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

i'd say that if you have the budget for 3 x mics, do yourself a favour, go and listen to a heap of them and buy one great mic instead of 3 average ones. then you can build on it later. I know this might sound harsh but you can't polish a turd and if you are after great results, then get great results, slowly..... one mic at a time
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I'd say Shure SM7B, Neumann U87 and U47. thumbsup
i second that.
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mics View Post
i'd say that if you have the budget for 3 x mics, do yourself a favour, go and listen to a heap of them and buy one great mic instead of 3 average ones. then you can build on it later. I know this might sound harsh but you can't polish a turd and if you are after great results, then get great results, slowly..... one mic at a time
what about the mics mentioned in his post are average? c800? tele? u87? those are all damn fine mics and well worth having in the studio. those are mics that people DO save up for. he's talking about buying all three of them...
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

I am not sure what I would pick in a perfect world, but I have been getting great results with an SM7, U87, and a U95(I didn't like the U99).

They have covered all my vocals for the last 3-4 years.

Good luck!

D
Old 12th August 2008
Gear Nut

anyone have experience with the Elam 251.....ive heard it used on Kanye's vocals on Late Registration...it seems to cut through those dense mixes pretty well...i wouldnt mind having one but only if it can cover a good bit of voices...i cant imagine shovelling all that money for a 1 trick pony....i really want to demo these mics if possible...i asked that question prior but no one answered
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

there is not realy a mic that can cover all bases. i would not recommend only getting one. if we were talking about getting a u87 or 3 rode mics than maybe but we're talking 3 very different and excellent mics. that being said. i have used the elam and it would be a great addition to the other two you are talking about. i'd DEFINITELY try it out. just because kanye used it doesn't mean it's a good 8000 dollar investment for you're studio. try it, listen to it. and decide if you think you'll get 8000 dollars worth of usage out of it. there are many other great choices. why not a 47?
Old 12th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmignalFlow View Post
But you do have people here, with a clue, who have completely tuned you out. Thanks for playing.

If you think you're gonna cover most vocals with three mics you're new. I don't care if they have 12, 251, 47, 800, or ****ing "VOCAL" in the model number of the mic. If you ignored marketing for a little while and listened to microphones you'd answer your own question. But I know, I know...common sense doesn't apply on the internet.
Well, for someone so new to this forum that was a pretty harsh statement. Perhaps you don't realize that I produce/engineer for a living and have been doing that far longer than the other side of my company which carries a few product lines that I own and use on a daily basis.

If you believe you would need more than a 47, 251, and a C12, all running through a 1073 to capture virtually any vocalist you can imagine you are sadly mistaken. I work on major records with major artists, as well as smaller records with up and coming artists. I have never needed anything else than those 3 microphones to get amazing sounds. In fact, the 47SE lives in my vocal booth and is rarely swapped out for anything else.

Let's try and stay positive and not hide behind the Internet to lash out at people you don't know. I don't think you'd speak that way to someone if you were standing in front of them. Think about that before you post again please.
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

Most Miami commercial studios do have U87's & C800G...i have sold them to them.
To be competitive in this market...thats what the studios have purchased...and thats what all expect to see.
The third mic which has gotten rave reviews is the Manley Reference Cardiod.

Please dont let anyone tell you the API 512 & C800G dont work well together
Old 12th August 2008
Gear Nut

thanks joshua..i know most major studios have a heap load of mics at thier disposal for vocals
Old 12th August 2008
Gear Head

@Joshua:

Fine. I was harsh. I ain't here to fight, mi hermano. Maybe relax on the sales pitches for a minute and offer the guy some real world advice. Seems like he could use it.

And as for "I don't think you'd speak that way to someone if you were standing in front of them", you think wrong.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Old 12th August 2008
Gear Nut

thanks Mike...any mic pre recommendations?...im also looking at picking up for compressors: 2 distressors, tube tech CL1B, UA teletronix LA2A and a purple MC77 if budget permits,
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan_rashard View Post
thanks Mike...any mic pre recommendations?...im also looking at picking up for compressors: 2 distressors, tube tech CL1B, UA teletronix LA2A and a purple 1176 if budget permits,
what do you have already? are you starting from scratch? you'll be well off with the compressors you listed. i'd suggest a few neve style pre's and a couple of api pre's to start. from there you can add some other flavors down the road if you feel you need/want to.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search