The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
3 mics to cover most vocals Condenser Microphones
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Doesn't matter to me what you or others believe, I figured my choices out on my own, for my own needs. They are direct quotes, take 'em or leave 'em. And I certainly long ago learned to take everything you say with a dose of salt.

Steve
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Dose of salt or not, here's what you paid for:

Picture 11, you can see the FET in the top right, and picture 12, you can see the IC in the bottom right.
Attached Thumbnails
3 mics to cover most vocals-picture-11.jpg   3 mics to cover most vocals-picture-12.jpg  
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Beta58
RE20
C12
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

I cannot figure out why you are trying to 'enlighten' me.? I have been inside that mic myself, as well as plenty of others, thank you. I don't care if there was a dead rat in there, it works well for lots of my sources. As do lots of other mics, that some folks like and some don't. Big deal.

Steve
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

I have to wholeheartedly agree, if i wanted to spend 3k+ on a mic, it would be last on my list. Actually the M49 is my favourite mic M49c to be precise.
Old 19th August 2008
Gear Nut

i guess there isnt one mic for everybody..ive seen some instances where the C800G sounds good and then some where it sounds horrid like on mixtapes...yuck...i wonder if this is done on purpose
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

I have to say that the best "one mic for everybody / desert island mic" would be the M49. I can use that on almost any source, and get an unbelievable sound. Male vox, female vox, drums, piano, upright bass, guitar amps, strings, acoustic guitar, etc.

That was the best mic Neumann ever made, and it was downhill from there.

I still want somebody to bring a Wunder 49 over to A/B.
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
I have to say that the best "one mic for everybody / desert island mic" would be the M49.
Now that we do agree on, no salt needed. What a mic. For 'regular old everyday' mics, I still do like the MKH8040 as an all-rounder. Velvety sound, easy to place and match up.

Steve
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegybug View Post
Now that we do agree on, no salt needed.
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

The reason I bought a Neumann M149. Sarah McLachlan is one of my favorite singers, her voice always sounds amazing and I frequently use her CD's as mix references.

From a 2003 mix magazine article :

Sarah McLachlan's new CD, Afterglow, found her teaming up once again with her longtime producer Pierre Marchand, who has produced four albums for the artist. The album was recorded at numerous different project studios, including Marchand's facility in Morin Heights, Quebec, where several of the songs were mixed, which the majority of the album was mixed in McLachlan's home studio in Vancouver.

Marchand has used Neumann microphones to track McLachlan's vocals exclusively for the last two records they've worked on together. "We've been using the Neumann M 149 on Sarah, and it works beautifully. When we recorded her earlier CDs, I was using an old Telefunken U 47 that needed a lot of EQ tweaking to get the sound I wanted. Then when I got my hands on the M 149, I found that leaving it flat sounded very close to perfect! The M 149 is a very sweet-sounding mic. It has lots of warmth and presence, and the purist highs. Sarah loves that mic, and I haven't tried any other mic on her since we started using it."
Old 8th December 2008
Gear Head

ok..everybody loves their 47/67/c12/221 and other vintage mics on vocals....but...if one person doesnt have the luck to find the vintage mics in well conditions...which are the 3 new mics you guys are going to use for the vocals on a pro-production album..not demos..lets talk about a major label album without vintage mics...anybody?
Old 8th December 2008
Lives for gear

that's an easy one for me, even if it is biased (pun intended).\

BeesNeez Jade, James and a AEA ribbon
Old 8th December 2008
Lives for gear

From the "And now for something completely different" department.....

I recently tracked vocals using a U 89/Millennia Media STT-1 and an AEA R84/TRP together. Both mics in figure of eight, oriented parallel to the floor and about 16 inches away from Karyn Oliver, the vocalist. I got the upper harmonics from the U89 and the fundamentals from the R84. I did a mix, left it for a month or so to get it out of my head and came back to it this past weekend. There's something more complex and intimate about the combination that I really like; a very subtle added dimension.

I split the tracks out and uploaded them: .Mac - iDisk

Wes may be using them at the booth at NAMM.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

The SM7... a recession-certified standard in Pro Audio...

Old 1st December 2009
Gear Maniac

I wouldn't say that. I've used the sm7 over my 1973 u87 many times.
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
Well i guess sometimes it feels like a 'school' to me.

Now to reply to you your nice(fuuck) comment this is world class facility where almost all of the japanese pop/hip hop/RnB top artists record their music.
???
Old 1st December 2009
I would choose
1. Shure CM7: This is the mic that Michael Jackson used on Thriller. Nuff said
2. Brauner Valvet
3. Neumann U87ai (if you want to impress a client) Other wise a Bock 251 which is really a better mic.

Regarding Peluso, they are good mic's in their price range. But along the lines of JJ Blair' scomments, the top end is not as pleasing to my ears as the higher end mic's company's such as Brauner, Telefunken, Wunder Audio, or Bock.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

i would go for

Brauner VMA (for the more bright in your face like the C800G) -> is way more versatile than the sony wich is a hit or miss mic.
a good U47 or M49 clone/variation for the more old style (wunder, bock, tele usa, ...)
a good dynamic (then i think of shure SM7B or sen MD441)
and then maybe as forth a good FET mic (gefell UMT70S, AKG C414, Neumann U87 (in order of preference) or their modern variations of it or one i don't know yet.

but this is only soundwise/useability. Commercial factors may let you choose otherwise.
Old 2nd December 2009
nas
Lives for gear

Flea 47
Flea 49
Bock 251

Done.
Old 3rd December 2009
Lives for gear

So we got 120 versions of 3 mics that cover most vocals, brilliant!
Old 3rd December 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NandoOg7 View Post
u87 (vintage)
Sm7
sm58 or sm57

u87ai though

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search