The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
3 mics to cover most vocals Condenser Microphones
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

The tube can be replaced easily...i keep one on hand..6AU6A...remember to replace the copper shield as well part # 2-543-022-01 (also on hand)
Old 15th August 2008
Gear Nut

thanks for the info Mike
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

I never understood the popularity of the C800G, other than that it looked cool in R&B videos. It's as boring to me as the Avalon gear that all those R&B cats run it through.
Old 15th August 2008
3 mics to cover most vocals

For me... just 3... mmm... well I can't, here it is my 3 of 3! heh

1-U47
2-U67
3-ELAM250

or

1-U48
2-U87
3-C12

or

1-U47fet.
2-UM900
3-Blue Bottle.

Best regards.

delcosmos.
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post
looks like a school...

Well i guess sometimes it feels like a 'school' to me.

Now to reply to you your nice(fuuck) comment this is world class facility where almost all of the japanese pop/hip hop/RnB top artists record their music.
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan_rashard View Post
low end chinese condensers and i have used a Rhode classic...which i didnt like maybe due to fact that it was plugged into an mbox some other cheap stuff really not worth mentioning...i can say it has taught me how to make good recordings...i think...and how things are supposed to go...alot of info i grabbed from here time to time...i have a friend who has been in recording for more than 15 years. He worked back in the old days before the boom of digital...he got out of the business in 1994 and has been sort of a mentor to me for the past 3 years...im much younger than him(much)...he will be helping me with the acoustics of the studio but he's not one of the gearslut type so he is like give me anything and i will work with it(has no favourite piece of gear it seems)....i must say he is a great asset
ehy dude let me ge this str8. You got 10k and you wanna blow all of your $$ on mics??
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
I never understood the popularity of the C800G, other than that it looked cool in R&B videos. It's as boring to me as the Avalon gear that all those R&B cats run it through.
Yeah right. The C800G and the 737 and the M5 are(modern) studio staple IMO.

I also use a touch of compression on the way in with a cl1b or 1176
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
Yeah right. The C800G and the 737 and the M5 are(modern) studio staple IMO.
They are a staple with R&B producers. And like I alluded to, they bore me to death. I don't know the M5, but the C800G, and Avalon gear in general sound about as interesting to me as peeing my pants.
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

In the end we all have different taste.. The dfegad example was a bit extreme tho. Maybe you're not into RnB?
Old 15th August 2008
Gear Nut

no its not only 10k...im gonna get some quality equipment ...im tired of using the cheap stuff and i think im getting the most out of them and im not satisfied
Old 15th August 2008
theother
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmignalFlow
The great U47s had a way of making my dick stand up tall and proud when the air moved

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenseJim View Post
I still prefer a conventional blow job.

It amazes me what kind of things people do with U47s!

Quote:
That's what I thought until I blind-tested the C800G and my jaw dropped to the floor when I found out it's the Sony I really liked. It's a very nice mic and I actually just bought one. Prefer it to any Brauner, Manley or other clone/modern mic. Not so keen on the Avalon 737 mic pre, but love the Avalon 747 and stereo EQ (not in combination with the C800G though)

3 mics:

Neumann M49 (or any Gefell M7 mic)
Sony C800G
Shure SM7B
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Different strokes. I find that mic and Avalon gear to be lacking in the type of character that excites me. It's like the Oxford EQ. It's great, very useful, but there's nothing about the sound of it that gives me a warm feeling. That's how I feel about the C800G and Avalon.

But I tend to make very character driven recordings. I'm never after transparency. That **** bores me to death. And that's why people hire me, I guess. I'm after vibe. Those don't give me vibe.
Old 17th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
Well i guess sometimes it feels like a 'school' to me.

Now to reply to you your nice(fuuck) comment this is world class facility where almost all of the japanese pop/hip hop/RnB top artists record their music.
I've got a Japanese pop vocalist in our studio this coming week. Perhaps you've worked with her. Care to divulge your studios' name?

Regards.
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

What's your problem? you jealous heh?!!
Old 17th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yeah, the same feel here, i never liked the C800G, neither the avalon
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

It really depends on the type of music and the sound you're after.. For RnB/hip hop cats the C 800G and 737 NOT boring!
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Oh, no. They are definitely boring. That's why they work in that kind of music.
Old 18th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmignalFlow View Post
@Joshua:

Fine. I was harsh. I ain't here to fight, mi hermano. Maybe relax on the sales pitches for a minute and offer the guy some real world advice. Seems like he could use it.

And as for "I don't think you'd speak that way to someone if you were standing in front of them", you think wrong.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled thread.
You sure acted like a ****** bag in your post. The dude makes a living off of enginering. Do you? I personally think if you have the budget you proclaim, I would buy a Neumann M149, Sure SM7, and a Royer ribbon mic. I couldn't imagine with a good amount of class A pre's- any singer could sound amazing with the right vocal takes. Of course doubling, tripling, auto tune, vocal alignment, and tape delays and reverb can help too. Those are the mics I would choose. As far as pre's, I say Cranesong flamingo, Neve 1073 or likewise clone, John Hardy, or API. I personally have an API A2D and think it's fabulous. For vocals, I have an SM7, SM57, Rode NTK, and an Oktava MK-319 with the Michael Joly Oktava mod. The Rode and SM7 seem to do well on many voices
Old 18th August 2008
Quote:
lol

Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Dear God ... between the C800G and M149 fans here, I wonder if anybody has heard any truly great mics.
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
oh lord.....
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dear God ... between the C800G and M149 fans here, I wonder if anybody has heard any truly great mics.
Here Here,imust say that i do agree. One of these 2 i dislike greatly and the other well,it is reasonable but by allmeans never my favourite
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Well, I've said it before ... you take an FET, follow it with a 6111 tube for nothing other than coloration, and then run it through an IC to balance the output, there is no way in hell it is ever going to measure up anywhere near an M49, or a handful of other mics. And listening to it confirms everything about what we know already is a cheap, careless design. The highs are a little shrill and there's no pleasant patina to the sound.

On top of it, the design is really badly thought out. That amp is effectively sealed inside the body, so there's no venting for the tube heat, and they apparently have an alarmingly high failure rate, as far as tube mics go. Imagine if you had to replace tubes in a M49 as much as you do in the M149.

Freaking Sennheiser.
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

I would pass on the Neumann U87 unless you can find a used one for cheap. At around $3,000 new, there are so many better mics. I think the Neumann M149 for around $2,500 - $2,700 used is a great deal, you get the name recognition, and it is far better than a U87. It might not be the best mic in the world, but does a very good job, and is extremely versatile. I use it on vocals exclusively in my studio and nobody has ever complained. My first choice is with a Manley Tube Micpre and next with a Neve BAE 1073 or 1272. I always run it through a Tubetech CL1A. Pairing the mic with a warmer, thicker pre and compressor works great. I do plan on getting a few of the mics I mention below.

If you are doing pop/hip hop/r&b then a C800 is worth having, otherwise I would get something else.

My favorite vocal mic by far is an original vintage Telefunken 251, I have done several shootouts with 4-10 high end vintage mics on different singers, and I pick the Telefunken 251 most of the time. Unfortunately, they are too expensive and I am not familiar enough with the clones, but at some point, I will definitely be checking out the reissue Telefunken and the Bock.

I have a few friends that post here and do very high end work with superstar clients and they have a large collection of new boutique mics. The first one highly recommends the Blue Bottle. The other one highly recommends the Wunder CM7 and the Brauner VM1A.
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, I've said it before ... you take an FET, follow it with a 6111 tube for nothing other than coloration, and then run it through an IC to balance the output, there is no way in hell it is ever going to measure up anywhere near an M49, or a handful of other mics. And listening to it confirms everything about what we know already is a cheap, careless design. The highs are a little shrill and there's no pleasant patina to the sound.

On top of it, the design is really badly thought out. That amp is effectively sealed inside the body, so there's no venting for the tube heat, and they apparently have an alarmingly high failure rate, as far as tube mics go. Imagine if you had to replace tubes in a M49 as much as you do in the M149.

Freaking Sennheiser.
I'm sorry, what mics are you pissing about? Meaasure up to an M49? How many of those do you have and how do you use them?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
I'm sorry, what mics are you pissing about? Meaasure up to an M49? How many of those do you have and how do you use them?

Regards,

Ty Ford
I'm talking about the M149, with that crappy design and substandard sound. As for M49s, I had three, and just sold one. So I have two, now. I use them on a variety of sources, but we are talking about vocals here.

Coincidentally, the one I sold went to a M149 owner who almost never uses his M149, unless he's out of other options, and needs a room mic or something. It's definitely way down on his list. I disliked it so much upon hearing it, that I never bought one in the first place.
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm talking about the M149, with that crappy design and substandard sound. As for M49s, I had three, and just sold one. So I have two, now. I use them on a variety of sources, but we are talking about vocals here.

Coincidentally, the one I sold went to a M149 owner who almost never uses his M149, unless he's out of other options, and needs a room mic or something. It's definitely way down on his list. I disliked it so much upon hearing it, that I never bought one in the first place.
OK, I understand that. The M149 I reviewed years ago made things sound almost screamingly NAKED. It was scary. I don't think anyone could confuse an M149 with an M49, but that doesn't mean that with the right preamp it couldn't sound exceptional.

The TLM49 from a few years back I really didn't care for. It was harsh, but I was using it in close micing situations. Later, when I heard them used in an orchestral recording, they sounded quite good. They needed some air and the right preamp.

The new TLM67 I have here for review doesn't sound anything like I remember the U 67 I heard some years back, but I really didn't expect it to. I'm trying to frame it in terms of what it sounds like today.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

My 3 mics...:

1. Neumann U87 (P48)
2. Horch RM2
3. Shure SM7B
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

"I love the M149. I used it to track vocals on 3 females in the last few weeks and it sounds amazing.

IMO, the M149 can stand on it's on and then some."

- Tony Shepperd

"I have a pair of M149's - sequential numbers - that I absolutely love. They are excellent..."

- Bruce Swedien

"People sometimes ask me, 'If you only had one mic, what would it be?' And it would probably be a Neumann 67, or maybe lately the M149—I really love that mic. It’s gorgeous, with a lot of power and a lot of gain. You can use it on vocals, strings, brass, piano; it works well on anything."

- Al Schmitt

I use my 149 on all kinds of things. Very robust mic. Chosen over every one of the Soundelux models, and many others. I also have a Peluso 2247LE that I use a ton, excellent mic as well. And if you want one sleeper that will work on just about anything look at Sennheiser MKH8040, seriously good product. Get a Gordon preamp to plug 'em into and you don't need any 'color', the performers will make their own unique sounds and you can just record them.... simple.

Steve
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

As far as I know from my friends who work in his sessions, Al uses his 149s on piano, and that's about it, these days. But if he thinks they are THAT great, why do I never see it on his vocals sessions? Last time I peaked into one of his sessions, guess what he was using on vocals ... an M49.

When Bruce wanted to rave about a mic, it was not the 149. Here's what he said:

"Mike Lovers Unite!!!

Does anyone elase feel like I do???

I absolutely love my Neumann M-49's...."

Not the M149. Hmmmm.

Mind you, I believe both of them were compensated to endorse the mics, so any quotes like the ones you mentioned, I take with a grain of salt. But I know all the 149 apologists love to latch on to those blurbs. It breaks everybody's heart that they spent that much money on a mic that has an FET and an IC inside.

I disagree with Tony about a lot of gear, so I'm not surprised we don't agree on this either.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search