The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
3 mics to cover most vocals Condenser Microphones
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

For us home studio slutz, could someone tell me who decides what is 'prosumer' and what is 'pro' gear? I'd hate to have prosumer gear that I thought sounded great, only to find out later that it's not really pro stuff. That would be awful.heh
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
But I'm not a dealer at all. You can get upset at dealers, but you have to be able to separate dealers from others who are saying the same thing. Then you have to ask yourself whether they really are FOS, or maybe, just maybe there's something to it. But to slam a product SIMPLY because a dealer says it's great is a little ridiculous.
Just saying when it comes down to my opinion on Peluso... all of the redundant pimping around here really turns me off. That's just me... Your opinion on the other hand, I do quite often value! I think Audiolot stated in another thread that Peluso doesn't pay for advertisement... Why would they when their pimp cult has it covered?
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

if you can't make a quality recording with peluso's then the probem is not in the mic but in the engineer. are there better choices? sure! are they a good buy for the money? sure! would i only stock my studio with peluso's? NO!!!
Old 14th August 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
I'd been away from GS for a few years, and I have to say, you're spot on. But not just about Peluso. I can't believe how many freaking gear dealers are in here. It's insane. And they pop up in every thread pimping some line they carry.

And a few bad apples have tainted the way I view the opinions of all of them. I've heard guys that I really like and respect say X sounds just like Y, and after doing exhaustive tests myself with different results, I can only conclude that there's an agenda to pimp going on.

But that's symptomatic of the fundamental problem with this forum. Instead of guys saying, "Hey, how do I make better recordings with the gear I already own?" there's the delusion that gear, not technique, is what makes your recordings better. And so when you have guys with GAS, really wanting to spend money, of course the dealers are going to throw chum in the water.

I have a lot more gear than i did fifteen years ago, and my recordings are better, too. But it's not because I have more gear. Hmmmmm....
Understood on all counts... and I caught your previous post too. I realized as soon as I took on the dealership I was no longer "unbiased". As much as I love doing it, I hate that feeling. It almost cheapens your passion for the stuff. I wrestle with that, anyway, and try to keep an open mind and shut up for the most part.

Back to the other point you were making here, one of the things that struck me most reading "Recording the Beatles" was they didn't get a single new piece of major studio gear - except for (I think) a passive submixer - between "With the Beatles" and "Sgt. Pepper!" Nothing! Now that I have basically enough crap in my own studio to get work done, a few months ago I called a moratorium on more gear purchases until I get better at using the stuff I've got! Not there yet. You get your tools then you start making cabinets, which is what this thread was supposed to be about...

"3 mics to cover most vocals"... right... sorry for adding to the distraction...
Old 14th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Just saying when it comes down to my opinion on Peluso... all of the redundant pimping around here really turns me off. That's just me... Your opinion on the other hand, I do quite often value! I think Audiolot stated in another thread that Peluso doesn't pay for advertisement... Why would they when their pimp cult has it covered?
But what's wrong with them not paying for a single advertisement? I think Peluso has ads covered much more wisely by having folks TALK about their mics. Pimps have an awful lot of mics to pimp. Why are folks so hard on these guys, who could easily pimp other things, who pass on their biased opinions and excitement over Peluso?
Old 14th August 2008
member no 666

Actually Henry... with all due respect, the guys that pimp Peluso generally don't have many [and in many cases, any] other mic lines to talk about.
Old 14th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Actually Henry... with all due respect, the guys that pimp Peluso generally don't have many [and in many cases, any] other mic lines to talk about.
And then there's that . . .
Old 15th August 2008
Interesting.
3 Mics ? hummmmmm

1) U47 original or clone
2) C12 original or clone
3) U87 original or clone

That's it - you can do every style of vocalist with these three mics.
Male, Female, Warm, Thin. whatever.

Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks View Post
Don't forget the AT 4050.
those mics are crap on vocals. Sure you can bang out a garage rock tune
or something but thats where it's utilization should end.

I like them outside a 26in kick drum though
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

U87, C414, SM57 then add on from there.

rowan_rashard ..

how old are you? heh

what's your budget?
what gear do you have now?
Old 15th August 2008
Gear Nut

at there present time there is no set budget for microphones...but the budget is not unlimited...not by a long shot...in fact deending on how things go...itll be quite small...i dont want to qoute anything...we might just go the safe route and get the C800G with the U87...thats like 10k...ive listened to alot of records with them and have a good idea of what to expect...nobody backed the telefunken so i kinda wrote that of...although the Bock 251 looks interesting....i will probably get the sm7
none of the old stuff will be in the new place...the old stuff is not worth mentioning...all things will be completely new
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

what gear do you have now? or have been using?

what's your website?
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan_rashard View Post
at there present time there is no set budget for microphones...but the budget is not unlimited...not by a long shot...in fact deending on how things go...itll be quite small...i dont want to qoute anything...we might just go the safe route and get the C800G with the U87...thats like 10k...ive listened to alot of records with them and have a good idea of what to expect...nobody backed the telefunken so i kinda wrote that of...although the Bock 251 looks interesting....i will probably get the sm7
none of the old stuff will be in the new place...the old stuff is not worth mentioning...all things will be completely new
all great choices. for the price of the sm7 it's a no brainer. might as well throw it on the 10g tab
Old 15th August 2008
Gear Nut

low end chinese condensers and i have used a Rhode classic...which i didnt like maybe due to fact that it was plugged into an mbox some other cheap stuff really not worth mentioning...i can say it has taught me how to make good recordings...i think...and how things are supposed to go...alot of info i grabbed from here time to time...i have a friend who has been in recording for more than 15 years. He worked back in the old days before the boom of digital...he got out of the business in 1994 and has been sort of a mentor to me for the past 3 years...im much younger than him(much)...he will be helping me with the acoustics of the studio but he's not one of the gearslut type so he is like give me anything and i will work with it(has no favourite piece of gear it seems)....i must say he is a great asset
Old 15th August 2008
Gear Nut

if it was up to him he probably would have a neve board with two 2" machines....he had the first version of pro tools heh
Old 15th August 2008
Gear Nut

he does have PTLe though heh which i mentioned earlier...he also plays an array of instruments...is a trained tech(used to do maintianance on the boards back in the day) and plus he's a vocal coach(boy can he sing)
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

one thing to think about as you put this studio together is to not blow your load on one thing. i'm sure you know this but spending 10g's on mics and 200 dollars on acoustic treatment is not a good idea! i'm not sure what you have going on but just wanted to throw that out on the table for ya
Old 15th August 2008
Gear Nut

for mic pre's im looking at the 1073(i bet its magic on everything going through,,,or so ive heard heh)...im probably gonna pic up a 10 slot and load it with some api 512s or maybe ill go small and get a lunchbox...im also looking at a focusrite pre...the pre thing is what im most undecided about...so confused in this area
for compressors im going to get a tube tech CL1B and a pair of distressors....if i dont get the purple and the LA2A with these itll be in the near future....and plus something to strap to the mix bus ssl anyone?
i want a real nice EQ or 2 maybe the avalon 2055 and something from gml
convertors most likely gonna be apogee
effects units...i would really like a used lexi 480l but i dont know and something from eventide...hmm did i miss anything???
Old 15th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiltonlittle View Post
one thing to think about as you put this studio together is to not blow your load on one thing. i'm sure you know this but spending 10g's on mics and 200 dollars on acoustic treatment is not a good idea! i'm not sure what you have going on but just wanted to throw that out on the table for ya
this i do know and acknowledge...if the room aint good why bother....but i think were gonna have that covered(pun intented heh)
Old 15th August 2008
Gear Nut

what i wouldnt give to have a ssl 9j though...well maybe in the next 10 years
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

AT? I've yet to hear an AT mic that I thought sounded nice. I'd pick a Peluso before an AT, any day of the week.
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

I agree to a point . the 4050 is a bore , but man the 4033 has a bite ( be it nasty ) that works for some vocals and it is good on a bass cab too !
Old 15th August 2008
Gear Guru

Well the AT4050 is a great utility mic. It's good on most everything but not great on anything. I have a pair. I used to use them on acoustic piano. Did a good job. Not a great job. I now like to use one on acoustic bass. I like the polar patterns. Does a good job. Not a great job. It's good having a pair for a good job utility mic.
Old 15th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
you've got that right dude.. not bad for a basement uh?
looks like a school...

Old 15th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyschmanny View Post

p.s. my suggestion for all vocal needs? a behringer preamp with a radioshack mic. good to go! (just kidding)
hey, don't knock those early radio shack pzm's. they were good mics...

Old 15th August 2008
Gear Addict
Ok, FWIW I own a u48 and used to own a Peluso 2247. I bought the Peluso mic when he was first coming out with them.

I did a number of side by sides and found that with some pres, the Peluso and Neumann were very close. On a few others not quite so. For example, if I used a John Hardy, I could get them fairly close. The polar pattern on the Peluso wasn't quite the same so I would have to click a notch to get it to match better, no biggie.

Here's the thing. I don't use the john Hardy with my Neumann, I prefer my v76. With that pre they are are not as similar. And that's how it pretty much went. I could match them with one pre but the Neumann would edge it out clearly with another. The Neumann was consistantly the best and occasionally the Peluso would approach it. With some tweaking and in the mix you could often interchange them.

I think some of the people here are not testing across enough variables and so that's where some of the experiences differ. I would argue that a good 50% of the disagreements here are due to similar circumstances.

Anyway, for top 3 vocal mics

U48
RCA BK11a - really quite a nice mic not often mentioned
SM7
Old 15th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks View Post
Don't forget the AT 4050. It's relatively inexpensive and it's just right for some voices. Are you sure about wanting to spend so much for the Sony? If you get a chance to try some mics, try the Brauners, and Pelusos also
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
those mics are crap on vocals. Sure you can bang out a garage rock tune
or something but thats where it's utilization should end.

I like them outside a 26in kick drum though
Quote:
Well the AT4050 is a great utility mic. It's good on most everything but not great on anything. I have a pair. I used to use them on acoustic piano. Did a good job. Not a great job. I now like to use one on acoustic bass. I like the polar patterns. Does a good job. Not a great job. It's good having a pair for a good job utility mic.
Jamwerks, as much as I want to agree with you, I cannot. I totally concur with Allen Collins. Audio T's AT4050 is straight basura; it's garbage.

I used it with the MobilePre M-Audio 16/44.1 USB-preamp, and that marriage was annulled quick, fast, and in a hurry. Although the latency was under a millisecond, the SNR was low and since I'm a tenor/baritone at times, I sounded so horrible that it didn't even sound like me. And yes, I can "blow".
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

"Audio T's AT4050 is straight basura; it's garbage. I used it with the MobilePre M-Audio 16/44.1 USB-preamp, and that marriage was annulled quick, fast, and in a hurry."

Wait a minute. It's pretty much a known fact that the sound of a mic is determined by the preamp it's plugged into. The MobilePre USB preamp?

Plug an AT4050 into a GML and I think you'll have a different opinion.

Three vocal mics?: Neumann U 89, TLM 67 with GML or STT-1 preamp or AEA R84 with TRP preamp.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Last edited by Ty Ford; 15th August 2008 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: added content
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
But what's wrong with them not paying for a single advertisement?
Nothing really (just doesn't sit right with me personally). I still say slather it up in it's own glorious post and make it a sticky!
Old 15th August 2008
Gear Nut

how often do you need to service the C800G...i heard it goes down quite alot and servicing is kinda expensive...i also heard horror stories of wierd humming noises...shifty power and grounding problems...and it could take up to a month to repair...are replacing the tubes easy?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search