The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
wordclock
Old 15th February 2003
wordclock

i got an o2r and g4dp 1gig runing logic platinum 5.5 and a motu2408 markI .
my qustion is- who should be the slave the mac or the desk or how much diffrence would it make if i get an indpendent sync box(ardvark?)

ta
M.
Old 15th February 2003
Lives for gear

There has been some discussion on WC in the past. You might wanna use the search function to look those up.

Except for that in your case ... as long as you only have 2 devices you can probably live without a dedicated WC (aardvark / rosendahl / genex / etc etc ...)

Those become important as your system grows.

How is your system hooked up ? all digital connections between O2R and G4 (2408) and what's the protocol your using ?? (adat lightpipe I think with the 2408 right ?)

Anyhow .... unless working with balanced connections (aes) or a dedicated wordclock .... and while useing connections like spdif or optical ... it is important that the receiving end is slave to the sending end.

So if your recording digitally into the 2408, it should be slave to the O2R. After recording, during edits / mixdown etc etc ... you should slave the O2R to the 2408. A hassle maybe but the only correct and most secure way to do it.
Old 15th February 2003
Lives for gear

i always hear that the clock (if not an independent high end sync unit) should be at the ad covnerter, in your case the o2r. the motu piece does NOT have a better clock than the desk, so i'd absolutely use the desk as the master.

i used a 2408 mk1 for a long time being fed by an apogee converter. since the apogee was the converter and the master clock for the system, the motu was basically just a nice digital in to my system. worked great and sounded great.
Old 15th February 2003
thanks for that guys(ill look up the other thread) i am using adat ur assumption was right but i dont run the wc thru it(i use the b&c)
i'll try the record o2r master and play back internal(my normal mode) and see how it works.
thanks again
any more ideas are welcome.
Old 16th February 2003
Lives for gear

I've yet to hear a device or system that doesn't improve with an Aardsync. Last week I brought one to a drum session and hooked it up to an apogee AD-8000 and the engineer I was working with immediately heard the improvement (the guy's up for a grammy right now).

I'm starting to feel like a friggin' rep for these guys but until I hear a better or more impressive clock, I'll keep touting the virtues of the Aardsync. The effect is always the same, it takes out the grain, opens up the space and smooths out the high end -makes things sound less digital.

Zep
MajesticMusic.com
Old 16th February 2003
Lives for gear

hi mac black , i got some questions bout the motu :

everytime i get a logic session thats created in logic with motu hardware , the tempos getting messed up on my system .
i am running protools hardware and logic in that case .
what the hell is wrong , do you have any experience with it ???
this is real strange and using those files can be pain .
i never had problems with other hardware , but with the motu stuff it simply wont work for real
Old 16th February 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by 5down1up

everytime i get a logic session thats created in logic with motu hardware , the tempos getting messed up on my system .
i never had problems with other hardware , but with the motu stuff it simply wont work for real
i have had that happen but usually the problem is that the session was recorded with the external clock master set to a different sample rate than the recording software...the only fix is to run an external clock from then on or go out analog and back in will all clocks in sync.
Old 16th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Zep Dude
I've yet to hear a device or system that doesn't improve with an Aardsync. Last week I brought one to a drum session and hooked it up to an apogee AD-8000 and the engineer I was working with immediately heard the improvement (the guy's up for a grammy right now).
Hey Zep Dude (nice handle, BTW),

So you're clocking A/D convertors to the Aardsync, hhmm?

Always thought convertors (excepting MOA's offerings) were "theoretically" supposed to sound better using their own internal clocks (for A/D). Especially high end convertors. I've experimented a bit with clocking Crane Song and whatnot convertors (internal vs Aardsync), but to be honest, while I could hear a slight difference, I've never reached a definative conclusion as to 'best', and generally elect to use the convertors' internal clock when tracking...

Care to elaborate on your testing and subsequent conclusions?

Thanks,
Old 16th February 2003
Lives for gear

i've hear the same, i presumed it would make a bigger difference in lower end ad converters which probably have less stable clocks to begin with. i would think the big dogs wouldn't benefit from the external clock. jeez, i'd think like a mytek or benchmark might actually sound worse if clocked externally.
Old 16th February 2003
Lives for gear

Anybody seen one of these in action yet?

http://www.drawmer.com/m_clock.htm

Pretty nice-looking in spec-form. I wonder how the SR conversion sounds.

-dave
Old 17th February 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by 5down1up

never had that problem but i'll ask some other users and let u know
Old 17th February 2003
Gear Addict

QUOTE]everytime i get a logic session thats created in logic with motu hardware , the tempos getting messed up on my system .[/QUOTE]

might be an issue with the buffer settings ? Are you getting "cannot sync to blabla audio and midi, actual samplerate blabla" ?
Old 17th February 2003
Lives for gear

this problem still doesn't souund like it's related to motu hardware.
Old 18th February 2003
Lives for gear

i cant tell you a lot bout the motu setup i am receiving files from time to time . the sessions are created using motu hardware and a mac running logic . the clocksource is internal .
lets say the sessions tempo is 120 . if i am taking now the files and create a logic session using protools hardware , the files get out of time . you wont realize this problem at the sessions start . but after 3-4 minutes the timing is messed up . it sounds like a little delay that gets bigger and bigger depending on how long the session is . even if it is just a simple 4 bar drumloop pasted like 4 minutes long , it gets out of time ...

maybe someone knows how do set it up ???

sampel rate is the same , frame rate as well ...
Old 19th February 2003
Lives for gear

I don't use Logic but I use PT and DP. I don't know if that relates to your problem but I know that both these programs dont compute tempo the same way. For example, a given tempo doesn't line up between them. I've used VST in the past and it's tempo calculation was the same as DP. Funny thing is I'm doing a project presently were I'm importing files created on a Yamaha AW4416 and it's tempo map/markers and clicktrack match PT perfectly. So what gives...
Old 19th February 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by dave-G
Anybody seen one of these in action yet?

http://www.drawmer.com/m_clock.htm

Pretty nice-looking in spec-form. I wonder how the SR conversion sounds.

-dave
This looks sweeeeeet! Thanks Dave!
Old 21st February 2003
Lives for gear

Blackcatdigi posted:
Quote:
Always thought convertors (excepting MOA's offerings) were "theoretically" supposed to sound better using their own internal clocks (for A/D). Especially high end convertors. I've experimented a bit with clocking Crane Song and whatnot convertors (internal vs Aardsync), but to be honest, while I could hear a slight difference, I've never reached a definative conclusion as to 'best', and generally elect to use the convertors' internal clock when tracking...
Blackcatdigi, sorry about my delay in responding -busy week.

I have found that the Aardsync will improve the sound of ANY converter -all the way up to the flagship DB Technologies 122AD. If not, I would have been glad to sell it a long time ago. Any time I upgrade, my system, most recently to Pro Tools HD, I do a blind listening test between internal and external clock. The Aardsync always wins. Digi claims external word clock doesn't matter with the 192 and it's true that the differences are less dramatic compared to the mix plus system but still the aardsync sounds better. This is the only unit I know of that not only lowers jitter but also repositions (or shapes) the remaining jitter spikes in a way that masks them (to aviod a long explanation think of noise shaping with dither).

It's getting to a point where I'll bring wherever I'm working and plug in to the existing setup. Luckily it's about the size of a notbook and fits in my briefcase!

Regards,

Zep
MajesticMusic.com
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear