The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Getting Drums In Time
Old 21st February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisso
Craig,
Great tip thanks.
I have to question it's ability to work however. How does it handle incidental skipped notes? I very rarely just hit on 2 & 4.
Anyway, at that price I might just get one for practice purposes.
Thx.
Chrisso, the beat bug has a simple sensitivity control on it (I'd assume this new box does as well) that will allow you too essentially "dial out " grace notes.( I think that addresses "skipped notes")

As far as rarely hitting on 2+ 4..... Let's say your playing a Jungle groove with backbeats on the 2 , the and of three and the and of four.
The display would read 3 different numbers that would, as long as the groove stayed the same and cycled around for two bars in a row, allow you to determine if your tempo(bpm) is moving. The realative numbers would stay the same. so what's really happening is it's givinnig a numerical readout of the time between triggers. It works. For me, it's allowed me to cut without a clik more often than not.
Of course it's not gonna do a damn thing for "feel or groove" .
i've got a couple young students that I use it with in conjunction with a clik(Tama rhythm watch) and a four track. absolutely astonishing how the combination of these three tools jump starts a player into developing "good time".
I still regularly shed with the same set up, as follows:
kickn snare to individual tracks
one mono overhead
clik to the last track

Record your practice, and take the time to go back and listen to the elements soloed against the clik.
try laying the snare back. forward. try different grooves.
If you can get through the pain of listening to what you really sound like as opposed to what you thought it felt/sounded like, huge strides can be made, and confidence level gained....next step is to use the Beatbug as a quick reference for tempo (you've done the hard work in the practice room, the beat bug is just a little confirmation)

gotta go paint the new studio

heh
Old 21st February 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Ghosts in the Machine

There was a time when for about 2 years, I would practice (drums) everyday for 4-8 hours. I was using a Boss DR-550 drum machine as a metronome. The problem I had with it is I could hear ambience trailing after the sampled drum sounds, and they would kind of subliminally alter my perception of the click. Worse yet, there were varying lengths of ambience depending on what instruments were playing patterns. A hi hat, cowbell, and cross stick were a nightmare. The trouble was, I didn't notice why keeping time as accurately (or purposely inaccurately) as I wanted was so challenging until I switched to a proper metronome, meaning one that just blipped and clicked (Tama Rhythm Watch) with no ambience. Another problem was that the length used to record each sample also had a little noise of its own. So here I was subconciously fighting three time variables until I discovered the problems. The ambience and noise were very subtle, but they were enough that with the headphones cranked while playing loud drums, my perception was being fucked with by them.

I don't combine the process of practicing drums and fiddling with studio equipment so that they help eachother. Actually, back then I didn't have a real studio setup, or the knowledge of engineering that I do now. Otherwise, I could have altered the drum machine problems with gating or an SPL TD or compression. The easiest and best solution was getting a normal metronome, though.
Old 21st February 2003
heh
Attached Images
Getting Drums In Time-octo.jpg 
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear