The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
High End Stereo Bus Compression Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 11th August 2008
Gear Maniac

High End Stereo Bus Compression

Gearslutz,

I am looking for a stereo bus compressor that will only be used on the stereo bus for the final bounce of the mix.

The music that I primarily mix and produce is dance music, however I have been recording some acoustic, singer songwriter stuff and been mixing down some other projects as well.

is there any suggestions to what kind of compressor I can add to my chain?

Thanks!
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

I searched GS and found a lot. There's a LOT about that here... Also talked to some people. My choice was 2xRetro 176's, Fearn VT-7 and a Zener for different situations. Not delivered yet though. Looked also at Shadow Hills Mastering comp but couldn't afford it for the moment.
Old 11th August 2008
Gear Maniac

SSL stereo bus compressor (amazing on dance/beat driven music)
Neve 33609 (softer/less punchy)

...but hear it for yourself before buying !
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear
Don't know i have the Vintage design Cl1 Mk2 which is supposed to be a copy of the 33609 i think it is very sparkle and fat has its punch.

But that is me
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

Smart C2.
Old 11th August 2008
Gear Addict

I also produce beat and bass heavy electronic music.
I mix through an API 2500 and couldn't be happier.
Old 11th August 2008
Smart C2 lends a nice hi-fi vibe, but can get aggressive if you want it.

API 525 is balls-out rock n roll.

Manley VariMu is good for glue and subtle dynamic range control, plus it has tasty low-mids and a nice open top.

ADL 670 (if you can find/afford one) is huge, beautiful, and VERY hard to make sound bad.

Aphex Dominator I is a classic dance music compressor, cheap as hell, and works like a charm. I also work with a few hot-shot rock guys that swear by them and have mixed some VERY famous records through them.
Old 11th August 2008
member no 666

If you want to hear the buss compression then I'd recommend a Smart Reseach C-2 or a Vintage Design CL1-mkII... if you're looking for something where you can have the choice of hearing it or not hearing it then check out an API 2500 or a Dramastic Audio "Obsidian" [the "Obsidian" being the more versatile of the two.

If you're looking for something that will give you kind of an "overall mojo" without necessarily hearing the compression then an InnerTUBE Audio "Dual Atomic Squeezebox" or a D.W. Fearn VT-7 should do the trick... or if you're looking for something that will reduce the dynamic range without necessarily inflicting an "opinion" on your work then the Crane Song LTD. "STC-8" or the GML 8900 might very well be your weapons of choice.

There are a myriad of options that will fit YOUR music and YOUR sense of aesthetic... your job is to find the box that is right for you [I've found the ones that are right for me... and other people on this (and other) forum(s) have found the ones that are right for them.

Bottom line... there is no shortage of options... try a bunch and you can make an educated decision from there.

Peace.
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

Fletcher gives you too many choices....

Boom...boom...boom...boom...boom...API...boom...boom...boom
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
Boom...boom...boom...boom...boom...API...boom...boom...boom
hehhehhehhehheh
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

Analog Manley VariMu
Digital Waves Maxx
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

Analog Manley VariMu
Digital Waves Maxx
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyd View Post
Smart C2.
+1 thumbsup

For me, but you may hate it!
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Smart C2.
+2 thumbsup

but realy wants 2500 as well ..
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
+2 thumbsup

but realy wants 2500 as well ..
Yeah me too for the drum buss lol!
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

i have most of the one's recommened on here so far and from your general description i'd suggest the api 2500 only becuase you are doing "acoustic singer songwriter stuff" also. the 2500 is very versitile and can give you the ssl(ish) sound if used right and can really add some nice "warmth" on "acoustic singer songwriter stuff" escpecially when mixing in the box. the c2 is amazing when it is called for. i'm using the stc8 more for tracking now. up next is the inwards connections vacrac and ocl2!
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

i prefer the smart C1 over the C2.
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
i prefer the smart C1 over the C2.
my only issue with the c1 is the lack of side chain. that and the crush is what sold me on the c2. i'd get the dramsitic over the c1 and c2 over the dramstic although i really want it at some point! ymmv.
Old 12th August 2008
Gear Nut

Since this is the high-end forum, I really love my Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor - extremely flexible and huge sounding! It can do the opto thing as well as the VCA/discrete/SSL thing, only better than the SSL IMHO.

Glenn Tabor
Gat3 Productions
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

i was really surprised by the difference sonically though.
and crush isnt something i want on the stereo buss.
for what its worth everybody that was present in the room
for our little test felt the same way.
up to that point i had assumed that they were the same with the C2 having the crush feature but apparently not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiltonlittle View Post
my only issue with the c1 is the lack of side chain. that and the crush is what sold me on the c2. i'd get the dramsitic over the c1 and c2 over the dramstic although i really want it at some point! ymmv.
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
up to that point i had assumed that they were the same with the C2 having the crush feature but apparently not.
If they could make the amount of Crush variable, as opposed to all or nothing, the C2 would be vastly more flexible. That said, between the Smart C2 and the Portico 5043, I can usually find something to make me smile on rock music.
Good luck in your search!
Old 12th August 2008
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by dick swifter View Post
If they could make the amount of Crush variable, as opposed to all or nothing, the C2 would be vastly more flexible.
That's what the Dramastic "Obsidian" does best!!!
Old 12th August 2008
Portico 5043 is excellent...and VERY versatile.

D.
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah man, i agree. they are pretty different when put side by side. i've found that the c2 really opens up and and gets more of the c1 and ssl sound when used in dual mono and also with the sidechain active. when most comparisons that i've seen/heard of between them people don't experiment too much and just set both up stereo linked(which is all the c1 does right?) and no side chain on the c2. so in that case, the are VERY different. that being said it really depends on what you like. i could have bought any of them and been perfectly happy. all are great comps.
Old 12th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by desol View Post
Portico 5043 is excellent...and VERY versatile.

D.
If the 5043 cost more money, was in a 19 inch full rack and had some pretty face plate and knobs it would be one of the elite pieces of gear on this site. Great unit, and THEN you add in the fact that is is VERY reasonable on the wallet.

Anyway, I use the 4053 all the time on 2 buss, love it.

I also have a pair of Germ comps, a pair of Tonelux TXC's and I have another Trakker on the way to have a stereo pair. They are all great and all do things a little differently. I don't think any of them are the "one and only" for 2 buss work (not sure about the Trakker pair yet we will see but I doubt it will work for everything).

That said, I am not sure if I could choose one but the 5043 would have to be way up there.
Old 12th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
That's what the Dramastic "Obsidian" does best!!!
This is a highly-intriguing! I may be giving you guys a call to check one out.
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear
What about
elysia: HIGH END AUDIO
?
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear

Chiswick Reach VK1
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear
What do you suggest to create "pumpin house music"?
Which compressor on which subgroup or stereo master out?
What is the magic thing for "pumpin house music"?
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Smart C2.
+1 for this onethumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search