The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mindprint DTC Single-Channel Preamps
Old 19th May 2012
The DTC is a great unit and underrated. I have had mine for over 8 years old. The pre's are really clean. I know this is not for everyone but does give a true picture of what your mic and source really does sound like. The eq is excellent and runs in parallel which not every EQ's do. I personally don't use the compressor but is still very good.

All in all a great unit.

Better conversion is what I need next not a new pre or EQ.
Old 7th July 2013
Here for the gear

Have a chance to buy one at $1500, just wanna re activate the discussion...So
-clean pres
-''musical'' EQ
-So-so to great Compression
Any other opinion ?
Old 12th July 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebob View Post
Have a chance to buy one at $1500, just wanna re activate the discussion...So
-clean pres
-''musical'' EQ
-So-so to great Compression
Any other opinion ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
I've owned one for a couple years now.
The preamp is a zero distortion pre. Even though it has input transformers. There's really no measurable distortion to speak of.
This is probably not a good thing for most people's tastes.
The compressor is a simple opto element with tube gain. It's not an awful comp, but it's not a competitive one.
The EQ and the routing capabilities are what keep the unit in my rack. The HPF and LPF are pre-insert (correct) and the rest of the EQ is post...so I can use the filters in a variety of places (e.g. as sidechains on other comps, etc.) and also use the 4-band parametric elsewhere.
Having a pair of zero distortion pres isn't the worst thing that can happen to you...you can get a bit of THD from putting the tubes in line if you want. Other than when the tubes are activated, the unit is quite low-noise. The mic input impedance is quite high, meaning that the sound is quite bright and crisp.
That combination of high input impedance and zero distortion will get plenty of people hating the pre (as "harsh" or "thin" or something), but it will be a very true image of your mic, and that makes it a good starting point for a variety of situations.
I think Peeder hit some good points on the preamp. I wouldn't call it harsh or thin in any respect, but definitely "true" or "uninteresting." The only time I really liked this pre over the others I have was doing some live orchestral recording with a pair of c535s.
I'll add that the instrument input sounds very good when using it as a DI for amp sims... better than my ISA428II and definitely better than my 003 rack. Add in all the EQ capabilities and compressor, and it makes a really great front end for tracking direct instruments.

The EQ is very musical. It took me some time to get used to the Q control on the shelving filters, but man is that useful. Having 2 of those, plus 2 bell filters, plus high and low-pass filters and all of the routing and connectivity options makes it very utilitarian.
I think being able to disconnect the pre from the rest of the chain keeps the DTC relevant when upgrading or experimenting with different pres, or also in a mixdown or live setting.

I think the comp sounds very good. For the past few years I've been using my DTC as a system EQ and comp for live gigs and I'm really happy with it. I like how it can easily allow the vocals to sit on top of the mix while bringing up things that may typically get lost in the mix like snare and tom sustain. The only peeve I have is that it does some compression even at the lowest setting, so you can't ease up into it very well.

As to whether or not $1500 is a good deal... I don't think I've seen them sell on eBay for anywhere near that much. I got mine used about 7 years ago for about half that, and had to put in about $200 in repairs. But I've gotten a lot of use out of mine in a lot of different situations. Think about it this way: you'd get a zero-distortion pre, fully functional EQ, and an opto/tube comp, x2, for $250 ea.

Also, happy birthday to this 11-year-old thread.
Old 14th July 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VacuousZounds View Post
I think Peeder hit some good points on the preamp. I wouldn't call it harsh or thin in any respect, but definitely "true" or "uninteresting." The only time I really liked this pre over the others I have was doing some live orchestral recording with a pair of c535s.
I'll add that the instrument input sounds very good when using it as a DI for amp sims... better than my ISA428II and definitely better than my 003 rack. Add in all the EQ capabilities and compressor, and it makes a really great front end for tracking direct instruments.

The EQ is very musical. It took me some time to get used to the Q control on the shelving filters, but man is that useful. Having 2 of those, plus 2 bell filters, plus high and low-pass filters and all of the routing and connectivity options makes it very utilitarian.
I think being able to disconnect the pre from the rest of the chain keeps the DTC relevant when upgrading or experimenting with different pres, or also in a mixdown or live setting.

I think the comp sounds very good. For the past few years I've been using my DTC as a system EQ and comp for live gigs and I'm really happy with it. I like how it can easily allow the vocals to sit on top of the mix while bringing up things that may typically get lost in the mix like snare and tom sustain. The only peeve I have is that it does some compression even at the lowest setting, so you can't ease up into it very well.

As to whether or not $1500 is a good deal... I don't think I've seen them sell on eBay for anywhere near that much. I got mine used about 7 years ago for about half that, and had to put in about $200 in repairs. But I've gotten a lot of use out of mine in a lot of different situations. Think about it this way: you'd get a zero-distortion pre, fully functional EQ, and an opto/tube comp, x2, for $250 ea.

Also, happy birthday to this 11-year-old thread.
Thx for the answer, i bargain at $1300, but didn't buy it yet. He lend it to me for 2 weeks.

I did a test on acoustic gtr with a tlm 103 with different pre-amps. My top 3 favorite were: API 7600, Chandler Germanium and the Mindprint dtc, second Sebatron vmp-4000, third Seventh circle neve's replica. The 3 top one sounded ''has equally'' good, just different. The API more punchy, single notes really fat (no eq no comp was used) love the API sound. The Germanium really warm and fat in chords, great tone unit ! The Mindprint clean and clear (no eq no comp was used), great sound ! So i guest it's really up there so far. Gotta be doing some electrics and drums next week. I was thinking of using the Mindprint on the OH. I can imagine the Mindprint behing great on vocals and acoustic intruments. I guess a ribbon on horn would sound great though the unit !!

The only thing that bother' me so far is that i know i could get an Great River MP-2NV second hand locally for $2000, but no comp or eq on the unit...mainly taking about $700 more...
Old 26th September 2017
I was just at studio where they were tracking an acoustic guitar and vocals. They used the Mindprint DTC and it sounded amazing
Too bad there is not more talk about this product. Two channels for the price of a Avalon 737 and the quality and sound is on par.

Is this unit still being sold?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search