The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DMXR100 - Line input overload...
Old 23rd February 2005
Gear Maniac

DMXR100 - Line input overload...

OK - I'm missing something somewhere.... my understanding based on the Spec in the user manual is that the line inputs are rated for a +4dBu line input.... Feeding a -10dBV output from a consumer CD player into any of the inputs results in overload and the meters shoot up. If i engage the pads, it's fine... however - if I send a +4dBu signal in, whether the pad is engaged or not, the line inputs distort quite severely...... Gain is completely counter-clockwise......

I know this can't be normal, or are they not really line inputs, (mic ins????)

- New DMXR100 Owner Confused In Ottawa
Old 23rd February 2005
High End Moderator

The line inputs on the DMX should take a +4 signal with the pad in and the gain knob at around 11 o'clock. If it distorts at that position something is probably wrong with the console. With the pad out it's a Mic level input.
Old 23rd February 2005
Lives for gear

What I hate the most about that console is that no matter what, you're going though the mic pre, even with the input B.

I agree that the pad in with gain @ 11:00 is what I usually do for outboard pres.

-Chris Parsons
Old 23rd February 2005
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Parsons
What I hate the most about that console is that no matter what, you're going though the mic pre, even with the input B.

I agree that the pad in with gain @ 11:00 is what I usually do for outboard pres.

-Chris Parsons
Why not try the inserts?

Aren't the inserts between the mic pre and A/D?
Old 23rd February 2005
Lives for gear

Two reasons:

1)There are only inserts on the first 12 channels
2)They are unbalanced

frickin' sony...seems like this could have be a perfect board if only a few things were thought of a little longer.

-Chris Parsons
Old 23rd February 2005
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Parsons
Two reasons:

1)There are only inserts on the first 12 channels
2)They are unbalanced

frickin' sony...seems like this could have be a perfect board if only a few things were thought of a little longer.

-Chris Parsons
But isn't the poster trying to bring the return of the CD player on the line inputs?

If he needs no preamplification i would think this is best?

By the way the inserts being unbalanced can be worked around.
Old 23rd February 2005
Gear Maniac

Just remember that the inputs on the SONY start distorting when hiting -6dbfs on it's ADCs. It's a thing about those pres.
Old 23rd February 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
But isn't the poster trying to bring the return of the CD player on the line inputs?

If he needs no preamplification i would think this is best?

By the way the inserts being unbalanced can be worked around.
Well... I was using the signal from the CD player only as a test signal... it's not that I really wanted the CD player connected-in there (if so, then yes, the inserts could work in that specific case!)....

But my concern was not the CD player, rather the apparent overloading of the line-inputs with a -10dBv signal... but from everyone's input so far, seems that it wouldn't be unusual to overload with a -10dBv with the pad disengaged...

I'll re-check with various signals with the pad engaged and see where the levels sit - I guess I assumed what they call line inputs don't have an additional gain stage on them... talk about a gotcha!!

Thanks for the help, guys!
Old 23rd February 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Bear Sound
Well... I was using the signal from the CD player only as a test signal... it's not that I really wanted the CD player connected-in there (if so, then yes, the inserts could work in that specific case!)....

But my concern was not the CD player, rather the apparent overloading of the line-inputs with a -10dBv signal... but from everyone's input so far, seems that it wouldn't be unusual to overload with a -10dBv with the pad disengaged...

I'll re-check with various signals with the pad engaged and see where the levels sit - I guess I assumed what they call line inputs don't have an additional gain stage on them... talk about a gotcha!!

Thanks for the help, guys!
I always have the pads engaged on the channels my hardware synths are plugged into. I've never had a problem with this, it's always given me plenty of gain and excellent sound quality.

Ed
Old 23rd February 2005
Gear Maniac

A Sony field tech confirmed -- without the pad in place, 30dB of gain is applied with the gain knob fully-off.... so yeah - no surprise that I was seeing the meters shoot up without the pads on, even with a consumer level signal!

The manual could spell that out a bit more clearly -- they keep referring to it as "line inputs" which they really aren't, since they have the extra gain stage in there!

Another gotcha.................!

Ah - the growing pains of dealing with a new board, eh???

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search