The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Trying ADAMS- what model should I try?
Old 18th February 2003
Lives for gear

To me the Mackies were a big disappointment. Expensive and collored. Urgh!
Maybe the 624´s are a bit better, newer project, but I have heard of a bump around 125 hz, have to tst that with fresh clean own ears.
Old 18th February 2003
Gear Addict

Mackies & Dynaudio BM 6A

Quote:
Actually after the roll off, they end up sounding like NS10's. I wouldn't be surprised if Mackie copied the characteristic(because everyone is use to it) and it would be something that an experienced ear could recognize quickly and adjust
I would second that. I have been running the 824s as nearfields with both "quarter space" and 80Hz roll-off. Still, the imaging is problematic. Also, I find the midrange is a bit hollow. Probably just my F***in ears. BTW: I have had very good experiences with the Dynaudio BM6As, I wonder how you guys feel about them.
Old 18th February 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Mackies & Dynaudio BM 6A

Quote:
I have had very good experiences with the Dynaudio BM6As, I wonder how you guys feel about them. [/B]

that's what i use and enjoy. granted, i'm curious about the adams, but can't afford them. and really, since i like the dynaudio's, i'm not so tempted to switch right away. the have done me right, but i still keep some ns10's around to check.

i like to think of one as my happy catholic mom and the other as my strict jewish mom, "oh all your mixes are so nice dear" compared to "what, you should need so much bass"
Old 18th February 2003
Lives for gear

BG,
what are the big differences you hear between the Mackies and Dynaudios?
Old 18th February 2003
Gear Addict

Mackie and Dynaudio

Quote:
what are the big differences you hear between the Mackies and Dynaudios
Well, the upper midrange on the Dynaudio to be seems much better defined and the silkdome tweeter of course by default has a different sound than Mackie's metal dome SEAS tweeter. Lower Midrange also seem better controlled (possibly because of the 6.5 inch vs. the 8inch on the Mackie). Sorry, it is very difficult to describe sonic characteristics - you should hear them (yeah, I know easy to say). I find the Mackies are really good for dance music to blow your socks off, but I can't find problems in my mixes that the Dynaudios blatantly reveal. You know, it is strange that I have that many reservations towards a speaker that looks as if it should be just wonderful (quality components, good cabinet etc.). But I have taken the Mackie's apart several times and experimented with different tweeters (even put them on top of the speakers) and woofers and still can't figure out what bothers me. A "flat frequency response" is either not something we want or need, or it doesn't describe the problem.
I have to get in there and work with the electronics. The closest I have come to accepting them as monitors was when I turned them upside down, the tweeter on the bottom. Strange? Of course, everything also has to do with your listening environment because you are coupling with the room. BTW, I have similar reservations towards the 624s (same issues, just no low bass). OK, BG out
Old 19th February 2003
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora

Even if I don't change monitors, I'm gonna have to go ultra low fi and pick up one Auratone. What should I power that little cube with? Please reccomend something cheap! yuktyy
Crown D60 is good for Auratones / Minimus 7's

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=23787

Charles
Old 22nd September 2003
Gear Addict

I'm auditioning some S3A's and S2.5's at the moment and the S3A's seem to cut out due to heat. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I generally like the monitors but one of the things that I'm still not convinced of is active speakers in general. Should I decide to go with passive versions, can someone recommend some good amps to drive them?
Old 22nd September 2003
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by denial
I'm auditioning some S3A's and S2.5's at the moment and the S3A's seem to cut out due to heat. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
do they have heatsinks on the back? mine used to do that when they didnt have heatsinks [3x75W amps] but now they have moved to 3x150W amps with heatsinks. i have yet to shut them down in over a year now.
Old 22nd September 2003
Lives for gear

My 5 S3As are 150 Watts X 3, and they have NO heatsink. They have never had thermal shutdown, but then, I don't have them real loud most of the time.
Old 22nd September 2003
Lives for gear

My PS22A'S overload quite quickley . although i like them a lot it seems that the go crazy on low end fq very quick (i like it loud...) any suggestions? (dont give me "turn it down lad, its not good 4 u .
Still, my ns10s are my main monitors .
Old 22nd September 2003
There is only one

here are my amps

Old 22nd September 2003
Lives for gear

Alpha, what made you have to take them apart like that in order to get the picture? Or was that why you took them apart? The backs of mine look exactly like that, sans the heatsink. I wonder if I could get some heatsinks, and just stick them on the back of mine somehow. They do get hot to the touch back there, and I wonder about how much of that heat builds up in the box.
Old 22nd September 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
do they have heatsinks on the back? mine used to do that when they didnt have heatsinks [3x75W amps] but now they have moved to 3x150W amps with heatsinks. i have yet to shut them down in over a year now.
Yeah, the S3A's (3 x 150w amps) have heatsinks and therefore look like your picture above. I wonder if buying a Bryston amp to go with the passive S2.5 or S3's are a better way to go. Does anyone have a recommended amp match to these speakers?
Old 22nd September 2003
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by Killahurts
Alpha, what made you have to take them apart like that in order to get the picture? Or was that why you took them apart?
those i got in the mail and replaced the v1 amps that were in the speakers. i too a shot of the amps before i put them in. you can just add a heatsink but should be able to be able to upgrade to them... you have to have that heat transfer goo between the backplate and the heatsink.

you're shutting them down with the heatsinks? are you shutting down the amps or the inputs? there are two breakers in the speakers. the inputs will shut down if you peak them too hard and hte amps with thermally shut down if they run too hot. i shut my speakers down both ways with the v1 amps at various times. now i know where my peak level is so i dont clip the input ever to shut the input down.
Old 22nd September 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
you're shutting them down with the heatsinks? are you shutting down the amps or the inputs? there are two breakers in the speakers. the inputs will shut down if you peak them too hard and hte amps with thermally shut down if they run too hot. i shut my speakers down both ways with the v1 amps at various times. now i know where my peak level is so i dont clip the input ever to shut the input down.
Well since the overload light isn't coming on, my guess is that they are shutiing down due to heat.
Old 22nd September 2003
There is only one

one more thing to consider which threw me at first. the bass reproduction is painless on the speakers but draws HEAVILY on the amps [i really wish they did a 300w/150w/75w sub/mid/hi setup with the amps] but how are your mixes sounding outside the system? is there a lot of LOW end happening? i found i could get away with a lot more bottom than reality which shut my amps down in the first version but have long accomadated for now.

if that isnt the case [which is probably a long shot], then i would say something is wrong with the amps [or the thermal protector] and might need to be checked.

i typically mix with mine running right below input clip for the majority of the mix [yeah, i know its probably too loud but its my ears and my preference] and never have these new amps shut down EVER. and i run some pretty damn heavy stuff through them.
Old 22nd September 2003
Gear Addict

I have spoken to the Australian distributor about the thermal problem in the S3A's. He says that it is a problem and that a capacitor needs to be changed. This was apparently conveyed by ADAM directly.
Old 22nd September 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have spoken to the Australian distributor about the thermal problem in the S3A's. He says that it is a problem and that a capacitor needs to be changed. This was apparently conveyed by ADAM directly.
A) That's the first that I've heard of this, and

B) This doesn't seem to be a problem with any of the US units...and we've got quite a few of them over here.

When we changed from the 100 w amps to the 150 w amps, there were a few isolated incidents of thermal problems (such as alpha), but the heat sinks seemed to have taken care of that completely. I've never heard anything about any capacitor needing to be changed.

I'll speak with Germany later today and confirm this.

dB
ADAM Audio USA
Old 22nd September 2003
Gear Addict

Bryce, do you know what ADAM have their low drivers amp rated at now on the S2.5A? According to the June Sound On Sound review they were increasing the headroom from 150W.
Old 22nd September 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Bryce, do you know what ADAM have their low drivers amp rated at now on the S2.5A? According to the June Sound On Sound review they were increasing the headroom from 150W.
The S2.5As now have a 300W amp on the bass driver.

dB
ADAM Audio USA
Old 22nd September 2003
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by Bryce
The S2.5As now have a 300W amp on the bass driver.

dB
ADAM Audio USA
dammit, when am i going to get new amps with a 300/150/150 setup?
Old 22nd September 2003
Lives for gear

300/150/150 sound logical ;-)

btw, have you seen new S5A-V... pretty ugly piece , but I can imagine the sound
Old 23rd September 2003
There is only one

where did you see it? not on their site yet.
Old 23rd September 2003
S5A's

Got me a pair of 2.5's on the way!!
Old 23rd September 2003
Lives for gear

I think ADAM needs some better pictures of their product. Some of them look ugly.
Old 23rd September 2003
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by bleen
S5A's

Got me a pair of 2.5's on the way!!
thats not the S5-Va... i hadnt even heard they were coming out with a vertical S5.
Old 23rd September 2003
Whoops! My bad. Sorry 'bout that, AJ! They do need to update the site a bit, though...

I'll go take care of myself now...
Old 23rd September 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
dammit, when am i going to get new amps with a 300/150/150 setup?
S4V-A has that configuration.

Quote:
i hadnt even heard they were coming out with a vertical S5.
Yep. We'll be showing it at AES. Folded ribbon mid and hi, 9" and 12.5" woofers. 3 x 150 W on the first three drivers, 500 W on the big woofer.

dB
ADAM Audio USA
Old 23rd September 2003
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by Bryce
S4V-A has that configuration.

so that amp will fit in my S3-As?
Old 23rd September 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
so that amp will fit in my S3-As?
I don't think so.

dB
ADAM Audio USA

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search