The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gyratec X and XIV
Old 6th August 2008
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Gyratec X and XIV

Does anyone have experience with either or these? It is really hard to find out much info on them. I came across reviews by George Shilling on both and he raves about them, but I can't find much more. Those that have either, would you care to comment on their sound and likes/dislikes. Thanks
Old 6th August 2008
Deleted 26a1ab3
The Gyraf X is just cream and butter on just about everything I put through it. Cant really put my finger on it - it's "just there" if you know what I mean.

If you like, you could upload a soundclip of your choice and I will run it through it at diff. settings, and post them back for you to listen to.

Old 6th August 2008 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the offer. I've uploaded 3 files. Use whichever one you think best illustrates what the Gyraf X can do.
Attached Files

test1_dry.wav (2.52 MB, 760 views)

test2_dry.wav (2.69 MB, 803 views)

test_low_bass_dry.wav (2.44 MB, 933 views)

Deleted 26a1ab3
Here you go.

Mind you, my Gyraf X are patched from my ooooold Tore Seem console, and that might also leave a "small" footprint on the tracks simply by going through all those transformers (it has a tendency to make tracks "open up" a bit - adding space).

I also have the Gyraf III that I would normaly use on the 2 bus. If you like I could make a run through on that too. It will have to be tomorrow I'm on my way to bed now

Have fun listening and tell me if theres more I can do to help.
Attached Files
File Type: aif test1_lightcomp.aif (3.92 MB, 506 views) File Type: aif test2_lightcomp.aif (4.17 MB, 354 views) File Type: aif test3_lightcomp.aif (3.79 MB, 358 views) File Type: aif test3_hardercomp.aif (3.79 MB, 514 views)
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thanks for posting the X examples. Now, if you could only tell me where to find a Gyraf X in the US!!.. very hard to come by over here in the states.
Old 7th August 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm not an experienced engineer but I do have the Gyratec X as my only "hi-end" comp, and I'm really liking it on my drum bus, for "squashing" my parallel drum bus, for vocals (mixing and tracking), synths and for the 2bus. It seems to me like it has a signature sound that's just, hmmm, tasteful? I think I'll call it that..
Old 7th August 2008 | Show parent
Deleted 26a1ab3
The only way (that I know of) is to contact Gyraf Audio directly and have them ship one over for you. The unit itself cost a little more than 4k usd. and since the unit do not way "a ton", you should be able to get it to you for less than 5k all in all.

It is a bad bad time for you guys to buy european gear, you dont get much for a dollar anymore. It is, however, worth every dime (if one haves alot of dimesheh)
Old 8th August 2008 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
..byw you can get ..

HPF sidechain switch on it if you want- i asked yesterday

"Yes, we can build the Gyratec-X in a version with sidechain high-pass filter. The selection of the HPF frequencies will be on the bypass rotary switch beneath the GR-meter - so the bypass switch will have more positions than the usual two (out and in), and will in stead be OUT-IN-80-180-400Hz (unless you have other requirements of needed frequencies) at a soft 6dB/Octave. "

that would be nice
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
XIV EQ

I know they have a great reputation for sound and everything but dont hold your breath on delivery times. We ordered the passive eq through our uk dealer back in early october and still no sign of it.. Whenever our dealer contacts these guys they arent even prepared to give an estimated delivery time.

My guess is they are waiting till they get enough orders to make buying up the necessary components worth their while..getting mighty peeved about it and very close to cancelling the order all together..

Anyone from gyraf please feel free to chime in on this..
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Good In this way these units will become rare and vintage heh And highly valued, of course ... (That said, I am a daily Gyraf man ... and have both Gyraf X and XIV)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I got my G9 in just a few days... But that was 4 years ago, mabye they have more business these days?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kore View Post
I know they have a great reputation for sound and everything but dont hold your breath on delivery times. We ordered the passive eq through our uk dealer back in early october and still no sign of it.. Whenever our dealer contacts these guys they arent even prepared to give an estimated delivery time.

My guess is they are waiting till they get enough orders to make buying up the necessary components worth their while..getting mighty peeved about it and very close to cancelling the order all together..

They actually made my G14 really fast once all the parts were in, but customs took forever (like 6 weeks or so). Just as another experience.

I love it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kore View Post

Wow, that sucks.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Why donΒ΄t you drop Jakob of Gyraf an email?
btw they sell directly, too
Old 18th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Kore,

Sorry to hear this - I don't think we have any British back orders, but I'll check the system again today..

Jakob Erland
Gyraf Audio
Old 18th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Back order

Thanks for the reply jakob..the order is being run through KMR audio in London, drop me a pm if you have some news..
Old 20th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
not in london, but i ordered my g14 a few weeks ago. Jacob said it should be ready around march 16.
Old 20th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Listening to those files, it really reminds me of the TC Pheonix, especially the harder comp.
Old 21st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Very embarrassing indeed..:

Searching stock, we found a G14 unit that was due for shipping to Louis, UK, back in December!!!

We'll get this sorted out first thing Monday.

Sorry about this mess!

Jakob Erland
Gyraf Audio
Old 16th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Worth the wait

Ok, it has arrived now and was definetly worth the wait. Haven't used it on a session yet but ran a couple of my fav cds through it this afternoon. Very, very sweet sounding eq with incredible bottom end. Makes you feel like a mastering engineer and i am definetly not that!!

You can boost like crazy on this thing and it never gets out of hand...also it looks awesome and we all know how important that is. I'd prefer this badboy anyday over the GML I rented in its absence.

All is forgiven.
Old 18th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
congrats, kore. i wired funds to jakob today, so mine should be here soon, too. I'm really looking forward to it.
πŸ“ Reply