The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
trident 80 inline? Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 17th February 2005
Gear interested

trident 80 inline?

hi!

i didn´t know there was an inline version of the series 80. i just saw one on a used audio dealer´s site and was wondering if this is really a vintage trident or maybe some reissue (oram?). if vintage, are there any disadvantages to the version with the juke box?

Old 17th February 2005
member no 666

There were no inline 80 series Tridents... there were some that were "input only" desks... like I used to own the 48 input Trident "Road 80" that came out of the Record Plant Remote truck which was 48 inputs across with no monitor section... and I just saw an "input only" Trident 80 up at Sonic Circus that if I remember correctly was 56 inputs... but there were no "inline" 80 series desks. The input strips only have one signal path so "inline" is impossible.

With the "input only" desks you still used it as a "split desk" except that you were using full input modules instead of the "juke box" [a.k.a. "monitor section"] for your monitor returns.

I hope this is of some assistance
Old 18th February 2005
Lives for gear

Maybe a dumb question but, where do you have your sub-group faders with 48 inputs and no monitor modules?
Old 18th July 2011
Gear Addict

Trident 80B inline

I'm reviving an old thread just to say that apparently Mr. Fletcher was wrong, as there is an inline series 80 Trident for sale at funkyjunk. I never thought such console existed.

Old 18th July 2011
member no 666

Due respect - I'm not seeing much difference between an 80B and this one other than the blue assignment buttons and the smaller "remix" button where the "mic / line" switch would have been. The "split EQ" capability does seem to suggest "in-line" capability... but it has a juke box which is a very solid indication that it too is a "split desk".

I could be wrong... but I don't believe I am from the photo you've provided. If you have access to the manual it would be interesting to see a flow chart for the machine.

Peace.
Old 18th July 2011
Gear Addict

Well there's no jukebox, all channels are the same and you can clearly see on the lower right picture the monitor channel with small fader...
Old 18th July 2011
member no 666

Thanks for pointing that out - yeah, I see it now.

For some reason I thought the section to the right of the master section was a monitor section and that the photo on the right of the close up was a view of that strip... not the lower half of the input strip. The layout was kind of similar to the layout of the jukebox on the "80B" - I missed the "large fader" under the "small fader" - thanks for pointing it out.

Interesting - wonder who had that made for them... and why they got a rare bird like that shortloaded!!
Old 18th July 2011
Gear Addict

Yes, I'll try to go there this week and ask for more information about the history of the console. It looks good anyways
Old 18th July 2011
Lives for gear

I thought the photo looks like a Series24, not an 80 or a 70.
Old 18th July 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritworks View Post
I thought the photo looks like a Series24, not an 80 or a 70.
Indeed I THINK that also. Isn't a 80 more well "chunkier" and deeper? Full scalle meters on every channel and "master" out.
Old 18th July 2011
Lives for gear

It does look like a strange cross between a series 24 and a 80B. The group selection switches and the vu-meters/solo lamps are the same as the 24 while the eq knobs are from the 80. And it is definitely an inline console. The plot thickens !
Old 18th July 2011
Lives for gear

Wow...wow....wow....I'm not an expert, but I'm really surprised that there's a Trident board I didn't know about. It's certainly an 80b frame with 80b construction to the modules, but the buttons are from the series 24 era, which was later. It has a HP filter, a variable lowpass, individual phantom, split Eq/Eq to mon, and of course the small fader that weren't on the 80b. And as well, the group trims were now on the input modules....I don't know....was this some sort of custom order that was done later? If so, it would have been an expensive custom job. It's not one of the later "Oram" 80b's (Ya know, the "5.1" versions) it's certainly a mid 80's deal. I have never heard of anything like this.....

Just noticed something else...The power supply connector is round. Every 80b I've seen, including mine, has had the rectangular connector.

Kirt Shearer
Old 18th July 2011
Lives for gear

This is hilarious.....apparently I've already been down this road. While doing a search on Google for an inline 80b, I found this reference MADE BY ME!!!! In 2005, apparently I had this very same conversation, about the very same console. Jeez....I must be really slipping....

In-line 80b

Kirt Shearer
Old 19th July 2011
Gear Addict

Apparently it's a Trident TIL console, I just wonder if the mic pre and EQ is the same as the 80B or more like the series 24. Does it have transformers ? I should check with funkyjunk.
Old 9th February 2012
Here for the gear

Actually it's a trident 80 Inline of course (true routing, little fader, flip eq split....).
Well the mic pres are not the transformer based ones like on a 80B. This console has trident 65/75 mic pres.
Eq are from the original 80.

Nice babe but not as fat as the Swedish television S80 we had two years ago (hard as a tank, & completely balanced with jensen transfos everywhere!).

Thanks for the ad (picture).

Cedric-Olivier COURMONT
Funky Junk France
Old 11th August 2014
Gear interested

Gentlemen, I have just stumbled across this thread and offer the following comments. Firstly this is NOT a Trident 80 (anything. It is in fact a Trident TIL (Trident in Line) Console. These were built alongside the Series 80B and 80C variant of the classic 80 Series consoles. They have Transformerless Mike stages which were a derivative of a seldom used option from the 80 series range. They are not from the Trident 16 - 24 Range but in fact were then used in the 16 - 24. The EQ stages are virtually identical to the 80 Series as is much of the circuitry.
The concept was conceived and designed by Malcolm Toft as were all Trident products despite what other people who shall remain nameless have claimed or been stated to have done. There were only two or three of these consoles ever made (if my memory is correct, two). One was installed in a studio in Munich and the other was sold as non working, was then painstakingly restored to full working spec and sold to a Studio in Bradford England.
I can guarantee that this information is 100% accurate and hope that it clears up any confusion and just in case anyne wonders how I know all of this I worked for Trident for 12 years and l installed the first console and rebuilt the second.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search