The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API 3124+ or Chandler TG-2 Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 26th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTatman View Post
The dual pre-amps is a nice feature on the TG-2 that the basic BAE 1073 doesn't have.
And you can sum them within the TG2 if you like.
Old 26th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTatman View Post
The dual pre-amps is a nice feature on the TG-2 that the basic BAE 1073 doesn't have.
And you can switch impedance from 1200 Ohm to 300 Ohm at the TG2, which is a nice feature for changing sound - great for ribbon mics
Old 26th September 2008
Old 27th September 2008
Lives for gear

Could it be this easy :

Chandler = big and warm
Api = Fast and punchy

The best preamp is = they`re both great . Two different screwdrivers , the end result is in the hands of the engineer.

?

I don`t get why preamps get argued over so much. When it comes to mics people seem to agree that they are all different and have their uses.

Thomas
Old 2nd October 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkbross View Post
Regarding the API, an engineer friend of mine says:

'API pres sound great on drums, but they distort without the pad, but the pad makes them sound terrible.'

Is there a way around this conundrum, besides hitting drums soft?
I dont know what to say about that because it makes no sense to me. I LOVE the 512Cs on drums and I find that they are actually very hard to hit too hard. The meters go up into the yellow but for some reason it seems almost impossible to hit red. Even when you DO hit red they dont seem to break up in an unpleasant way. I sometimes use them with 421s on tops with no pad and crank the gain high enough that it actually just hits red when the toms are hit. They sound MASSIVE. I mean MASSSSSSSIVE! One of my favorite things about them is how hard you can hit them before they clip in an unpleasant way.
Old 2nd October 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasWho View Post
Could it be this easy :

Chandler = big and warm
Api = Fast and punchy
Yes. -E
Old 3rd October 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Clip Audio View Post
Even when you DO hit red they dont seem to break up in an unpleasant way....One of my favorite things about them is how hard you can hit them before they clip in an unpleasant way.
I ordered my 3124 (Serial #001) from directly from Paul Wolff at api in the late Eighties. He said "It'll do +28 without distorting, but you probably can't say the same for whatever follows it in the signal path!"

Catamount Recording
Old 3rd October 2008
Gear Addict

1 for chand

I was brought up at an API studio - early 80s'. Could not ask for more.
Once I've heard the TG2 I was sorry I don't have more of it.
I won't kick an API out of my bed but in my personal rack there is a TG2 - not an API.
Guess this is a vote.
Old 3rd October 2008
Lives for gear

API

API

Chandler TG1 compressor (WOW!!! ), API 512c Preamp's for me...or the other options

JOHN HARDY M1 and M2

or

NEVE 1073

or

CRANESONG Flamingo?

Also 512c DI sounds amazing on bass in my experience!

ULTIMATELY BORROW BOTH AND TRY EM OUT MAN!???!!???

USE YA EARS SON!
Old 15th November 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrooveMerchant View Post
You could go Chandler TG2, then, if you're not needing stereo pairs, go API Lunchbox with one API 512c, one Avedis MA5, and one Chandler Germanium 500. That would give you 4 different voices in 5 preamps.
Then you could add stereo for overs, piano, room - for what you like from the Lunchbox single preamps.
Would an API Lunchbox work with any brand of pre amp, like Chandler and Avedis, as well as (obviously) API?

I'm a noobie to high end stuff... figured you'd have to use all APIU units with an API lunchbox, or else, have to customize the wiring or something.
Old 15th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Would an API Lunchbox work with any brand of pre amp, like Chandler and Avedis, as well as (obviously) API?

I'm a noobie to high end stuff... figured you'd have to use all APIU units with an API lunchbox, or else, have to customize the wiring or something.
Yes the 500 format is standardized and agreed upon by all brands that manufacture it. The only thing to look out for is that some modules require more power than others. Some users have had problems with certain combinations of differen brands.

The Chandler Germ 500 is one I know of that needs a little xtra juice. So filling a lunchbox with those isn``t gonna work AFAIK.

good luck !

Thomas

ps cool vid of Laboriel drumming on your song!
Old 15th November 2008
Lives for gear

I bought an API3124+ several years ago, and one of the channels died within a few hours of use. I talked with the kind folks at Mercenary, and decided to return it to them in exchange for a 6-place lunchbox and four 512C modules. I also had to cough up a small amount of cash to cover the difference, but it wasn't much as API had the "Buy 4 modules, get the lunchbox free" deal going on.

My reasoning was that:

1) If a module ever died again, I could just pull out the one module, and still keep running with the other 3.
2) I had room for 2 more modules of various flavors (although to be fair, at the time, I think only API, BAE and OSA moduels were around). But certainly there was EQ and comps as options.
3) Portability for lice gigs or loaning to friends (maybe this wasn't such a good idea!!!)

At the time, I was told by somebody at Mercenary that the pres were the same.

Now I am hearing that the transformers may be different, etc. Is that true? I never really got to use the 3124, but I certainly love the 512Cs on drums (OHs and kick, mostly). Crazy good!

I also use the Shure pads with them, so add about $200US to the cost (I think they are about $50 each).

With regard to the TG2... I have never owned any of the Chandler stuff, but I have heard the results, and it is probably my next major purchase.
Old 18th November 2008
Gear Addict

So you didn't really get to do a comparison... lunchbox with four 512c pres versus a 3124+

I like the "idea" of getting the lunchbox, but is it WAY worth the $1,100 extra for the 512's? Would an acute ear really hear a big difference?
Old 18th November 2008
Gear Nut

I picked up a Chandler TG2 for $1380 with power supply as a brand new open box special. It is my favorite preamp for vocals and also works great on other things for a warm fat sound. I like it better than my tube pres. You can't go wrong with either one. I think they would complement each other extremely well.

VS
Old 18th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
its good but not good enough, a little to warm and soft for my taste.
I've said this same thing for years. Though I've recieved many death threats
I still think this to be true. Though I don't equate mush with warmth.

Quote:
I would go for the API 3124, however i went for the 3124 and then i went 500 series and realized i like the 512c better. So i would say API..
Api

Quote:
Keep heads up, i bought 2 512c for less than 1200 on GS and ebay. Go in debt for the rest if needed, its worth it.
Api lunch box is cool but the API 3124 is cooler since you can easily stick it in a rack.
Old 18th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I like the "idea" of getting the lunchbox, but is it WAY worth the $1,100 extra for the 512's? Would an acute ear really hear a big difference?

considering the incentives found at several gear vendors currently - where if you buy (4) modules you get the lunchbox for free - that makes it a difference of $500...

sample prices (these are asking prices):

(4) 512c - $3054 (free LB)
(1) 3124+ $2554

single rack is cool too (3124+) - but, repairs may mean you remove the rack and send it off - also, i believe 512c has more "tranny love"... err, that's not a phrase i want to repeat.

as always - YMMV

Old 18th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
A very interesting dilemma to say the least. FWIW, I have both an API 3124MB+ and a TG-2 [w/the "mix" option brought out to the front panel for easy access].

I mainly use the 3124MB+ on toms as I can mic the top and bottom of the rack and floor, process each mic with outboard EQ [and every now and again a "transient designer"] then blend the two signals to create one track for each tom. I have found this to be an invaluable tool for getting the toms to have the right texture where I don't have to dick with them that much in a mix situaiton or eat up a bunch of track [or mix time].

On the occassions when there are two racks and a floor the TG-2 does the heavy lifting on the floor tom while the 3124MB+ is generally relegated to the rack toms. When it's just one rack and a floor the TG-2 is the absolute ticket for "double mic'ing" snare drums... or if I'm not going to be using two mics on the snare it'll generally go for kik and snare [without the mix option engaged!!].

In general day to day use... the TG-2 and Great River MP-2NV are my "go to" guitar pre-amps... and as I generally cut at least two guitar parts for the songs on which I work, they generally both get used.

We recently did a kind of 'funk-esque' song where the TG-2 was without a doubt [and we tried like 7 different pre's] the absolute hands down winner for a "direct Stratocaster®" [think "Chic"] part.

I've found the TG-2 to often be the vocal pre-amp of choice, though not always... vocal pre-amp choice, like everything else, is song and arrangement dependent so sometimes it's the king, other times it's more of a duke and gets used on backing vocals.

I've used it for Piano [though the NPNG usually gets the gig, but again, not always] and there is something absolutely magical about the thing when used with a Royer SF-12 or AEA R-88 on our Hammond B-3.

Surprisingly, we did a thing a few months back with a B-3 sound coming from a [I have no idea of the brand... Kurzweil, Korg, what ever] "B-3 in the box"... the TG-2 did absolute wonders for getting the sound to come a little closer to "real" [I did have to resort to using the KSP-8 to create a "rotors" aspect to the sound as we don't have a 1/4" input for our Leslie 122]... but the TG-2 was a real life saver in that applicaiton.

The 3124+ is a great "bang for the buck" tool... it's versatile, 1 RU, and 4 channel. The 3124MB+ is an invaluable tool as the "Mix Buss" gets used for so many things it's almost silly... but if I had to only have one... the TG-2 or the 3124 [non-MB]... it would be the TG-2 in my world... as always, YMMV.

Of course you might want to try them both out and figure out what will work best for the music you work on most... which of the units best fits your requirements be they number of channels used at the same time or tonal texture they impart to the audio in your most used applications.

Best of luck with your seach.

Peace.
thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search